Hungarian

how much can you finns and estonians understand hungarian and hungarians finnish and estonian?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_intelligibility
youtube.com/watch?v=fiVi0I85FNM
youtube.com/watch?v=WqvP5XuGcrY
youtube.com/watch?v=va_4sd-KATc
youtube.com/watch?v=rX1o7LtvfmA
youtube.com/watch?v=xi3MYnhyh34
youtu.be/EsWAPtwDkxw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

finnish and estonians are finnic, hungarian is ugric, the similarities are extremely few

Can you understand Armenian, Pashto or Ukrainian, OP? They are Indo-European languages like yours.

Spanish and Portuguese are extremely similar. Italian less, but there's still a high level of mutual intelligibility between it and Spanish.
French is the odd one among Romance languages because of many factors, but still has a fairly high level of mutual intelligibility with the other Romance languages, the closes excluding the langues d'oil being Catalan

Fish in Finnish is Kala
In Estonian kala
In Hungarian hal

Not much. Most Hungarian vocabulary is loaned from other languages

What about Finnish/Estonian? Are they like English and Dutch, English and German or English and Portuguese?

How close are they?

töpörödött törpördögök

Pretty close, it's pretty easy to understand the basics of what an estonian is saying if you speak finnish

Estonian to us sounds like a spurdo spärde way of speaking finnish

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_intelligibility
>Estonian: Finnish (partially)[17]

Must be like Portuguese and Spanish then, maybe.

Which one is the most autistic one, and which one is the simplest one?

Estonian is the one with most influence with germanic languages. Finnish is the OG one.

Finnish
youtube.com/watch?v=fiVi0I85FNM

Estonian
youtube.com/watch?v=WqvP5XuGcrY

(Don't know any other estonian song that comes close in pace with what i posted, sorry.)

They're too far from Portuguese or English to sound like anything to me.

Finnish sounds a bit like the words a baby makes before they learn to talk. It's super cute-looking and sounding.

Estonian seems to have a bit more slavic influence to my ears.

The same can be said about Spanish and Portuguese respectively, but Spanish has more Roman/Basque/Arab influence and we have more Celtic influence and more general archaisms.

Maybe something more simple will be better for analyzing.

youtube.com/watch?v=va_4sd-KATc

My opinion on Finnish was already based on my interactions here on Sup Forums.

I don't mean to say it sounds bad or anything, but the short syllables and a lot of 'i' and 'a' sound makes it look/sound pretty cute.

I don't mean it as an insult at all.

I wasn't taking it as such, only pointing out that finns mainly pressure consonants. Weird that you hear syllables being dominant

youtube.com/watch?v=rX1o7LtvfmA

I guess those consonants divide the syllables, don't they?

Either way, music is a bit hard to tell. Portuguese sounds like a Romance language when sung, but slavic when spoken because we eat all the syllabes but one when speaking, but in song we're forced to say them all.

Well i mean here's spoken finnish, though it's a heavy southwestern dialect.

youtube.com/watch?v=xi3MYnhyh34

Yup. Adorable baby language.

lots of "kuka", "culos" and "andote" endings of words.

mul on bemmiin uued kummid :DDD
youtu.be/EsWAPtwDkxw

>not having a country with a language which is extremely close to your

>Pretty close, it's pretty easy to understand the basics of what an estonian is saying if you speak finnish

Or so you might think, some words are exactly the same in finnish or look similar enough that you can connect the dots, but often enough those similar looking words might have completely different meaning in estonian. Not mutually intelligible.

I can understand main points when I hear Estonian speaking and communicate.

An Estonian guy told me that older Estonians can understand Finnish, but not younger Estonians. He said this was because Estonians used to listen to a lot of Finnish radio during the Cold War. This could be bullshit, however.

Hungarian not at all, Estonian a little

I found a Champions League stream with Estonian commentary last year and I roughly understood what they were talking about most of the time. They sound like alcoholics from Turku who mostly use made up words.

I've heard the same thing but also TV, not just radio.

Estonians during soviet rule had nothing else than soviet Television so they tuned in and watched finnish television instead.

>most of it is loaned
Wrong Ill spill your vér all over the place if you make such accusations my testvér

>So we have words like: veri-vér (blood) käsi-kéz (hand) vesi-víz (water), mitä-mit (what, acc.), sarvi-szarv (horn), that are similar enough that dialects give a bigger variation in their pronunciation than the one between the "official" ones, if we disregard the ending vowel.

>The list further extends if we allow a bit bigger difference: me-mi (we), te-ti (you, pl), millainen-milyen (what kind of), neljä-négy (four), elävä-eleven (living) and many more.

>Then comes the biggest group where the similarity is only clear to linguists as systematic consonant changes have to be taken into consideration. Words like: kala-hal (fish) pää-fő/fej (head), kuu-hold/hó (moon) etc.

>Finally there are some extinct words that remain in some form in the language, even though people don't normally know their meaning, like muna-monyó (egg), mesi-méz (honey).

>In addition there are also those words that look totally different, but the other relatives reveal their common origin like viisi-öt (five).

It's cool when there are visible similarities in those very first basic words, like various bodyparts, sun, moon, we, you, water, blood.

feels desu

>testvér
>test
???
>vér
I guess that is supposed to mean blood, in Finnish "veri"

yes