Why guns?

So Sup Forums, can you justify gun ownership?

Ignoring the 2nd amendment (as it doesn't apply to the majority of the world) can you come up with an argument in favour of owning guns? I would appreciate attempts to include references to 'mass shootings', gun crime and police 'violence' in your argument too.

If you want to justify only semi-automatics and hunting weapons, please feel free, but if you fancy justifying fully automatic as well, have at it!

As a Britbong, I can't own many firearms, but I would if I could! I personally have no issue with gun ownership, but I am interested to see if my fellow Sup Forumstards can come up with cogent arguments in favour.

And if you want to troll with an anti-gun argument, not a lot I can do to stop you, is there?

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/Blotter/exclusive-westgate-interpol-chief-ponders-armed-citizenry/story?id=20637341
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=4orlWZeF6sg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're fun desu

gun ownership justifies itself.

Why do I need justification?

Besides hunting, If you're a good guy it's to protect your self from bad guys and if you're a bad guy it's to kill good guys.
Why semi and full auto?
Criminals don't have regulations on their weapons why should I.

Uhcause

>ignoring the second
You don't irl friend, just in this thread.

When in danger, every organism will attempt to defend itself with all the force it can muster. Why should home owners not be afforded the same right?

The right to keep and bear arms is an ancillary right of the right to self-defense. If you believe there is a right to self-defense, you must necessarily believe there is an ancillary right to keep and bear arms. Otherwise it would be like saying you have a right to freedom of speech, but have no right to access any of the technological methods of speech, from books, to TV, to internet, to standing on a soapbox and saying things.

Arms are how we defend ourselves, as humans. It's been that way since we first started sharpening rocks in our caves and sticking them on the ends of sticks.

The second amendment doesn't apply to the majority of the world's governments but the right to keep and bear arms does.

how about the right to do whatever the hell i want to (unless it ends up violating anyone else's rights), self-realisation or whatever you'd tall it

Zombies

One of these days there is going to be a zombie in my living room and a zombie in yours. I am going to calmly reach into the end table by my sofa and grab my handgun. Then I'll shoot that motherfucker twice in the brain.

You, on the other hand, are not even allowed to have knives. The zombie will slowly turn and look at you. In desperation you grab the nearest thing that could possibly be considered a weapon. As the crumpet bounces off of the zombies shoulder with an adorable squeak you learn what it mean to have the undead eat your insides while you watch.

Fuck that man. I will not be caught gunless and defending my family with crumpets. When the dead rise I'll be ready.

>justify

Might makes right, come and get them. You're probably going to need a gun to do that, though.

>come up with an argument in favour of owning guns?
when enough people own guns in a country, it gives the gov, and the regular mafia pause.

Arming the common man is a belief shared by the entire political spectrum except for the authoritarian left and right as they agree that it is necessary to easier facilitate control.
>inb4 guns can't take down governments
guns allow citizens to make things messy which breaks the resolve of the security apparatus and leads to fractions of the military joining the revolutionaries. in this manner yes a bunch of doofuses with AR15s can effectively fight against F-35s if they are willing to die and their cause is compelling enough.

primarily for pest control but also self defense

How exactly is a full automatic firearm more deadly than any other firearm firing the same round?

Semi-automatic? Just pull the trigger again.
Bolt action .308? Just build a mechanism to cycle the action automatically, it has been done before.

There are several reasons why one would want to own a firearm, like sporting purposes, collecting, hunting, self-defense. I think it's sad how self-defense isn't a valid reason in most countries, they often tell you to "just call the cops", but how can you trust someone else with your life when you're not even allowed to protect it yourself?

The 2nd amendment could be seen as our law based justification.

But if we're ignoring it and trying to be philosophical... Why do I need justification?

Can you justify owning a knife?
Can you justify medication?
Can you justify having a sports car?
Can you justify owning a dog?

Seriously. Why would I need justification to own a firearm in a vague set of terms and conditions? There's no argument unless I know what I'm arguing and with who. The answer should be "mind your own business" until there is a reason anyone needs justification.

The right to easily and effectively defend yourself and your property is a fundamental human right. QED.

The right to self defense in and of itself is a good enough justification for gun ownership.

Because police can't protect anyone from criminals.

Guns are used defensively more frequently than in crimes/murders, meaning they have a net positive effect.

Victims who self defend with guns are less likely to be injured as severely as those that don't.

Interpol chief agrees armed citizenry is good - abcnews.go.com/Blotter/exclusive-westgate-interpol-chief-ponders-armed-citizenry/story?id=20637341

My crumpets don't squeak when they impact!! How dare you!!

I encourage all Europeans to walk around your cities, take a weekend trip if you must. Maybe visit a migrant camp or observe a leftist rally from the sidelines. If you don't feel like maybe even owning one might be a good idea, well that's your choice. That's all I got to say about that.

I am an adult and I like guns, literally any other argument is redundant.

the best reason for guns is that when your government goes full dictatorship the citizens are able to fight the government off, or even any other government trying to overtake the country. the first point was the reason of the second ammendment by the way.
also criminals dont care about laws, they will get a gun either way, if they are allowed to or not. banning it only means lawfull people wont have one and thus no means of defense when someone with a gun comes around and starts shooting.
people having guns wont result in people randomly shooting themselv in every minor fight

...because sometimes you need to shoot a whole lot of niggers.

There is no point in restricting gun rights because criminals will get them anyway and thus law-abiding citizens will be left dependent on police, however I do think education before ownership is required. Removing guns from your populace implies that you do not trust them and/or want to do something that they might not like.

Besides if somebody wants to kill people they can easily find a recipe for homemade pipe bombs made out of household products or just grab a truck and drive through a promenade.

Get fucked. Gun grabbing jew.

Most of the arguments seem to run along the lines of 'effective self-defence calls for a gun'. While I appreciate the fact that a gun would necessarily cause most criminals to think twice, does it not also cause a responsive increase in the willingness of said criminals to use excessive violence themselves?

If you suspect the majority of households to be protected with a gun, would it not then be sensible to use more force to achieve your aim of robbing the property?

Although this argument logically suggests that a house un-defended would be the safest option, the converse could be true. A gun-protected house would lead to a bigger gun for the criminal? A defensive arms race ensues...

i wanna buy some guns. what should i get

I appreciate your idea, but cannot passive protest and peaceful, political activism achieve more than an armed uprising? Does not the armed movement just replace one strong group with the next strong group? Who is to say that everyone with a gun supports the same political and ideological aims? Not that everyone protesting will either, but history suggests violent uprisings don't end with the best outcome for the population. And with the willingness of outside governments and intelligence agencies to get involved with armed struggles, what is to stop the ideals of the population from being dictated by who gets given the most guns?

And yes, all this can also happen with peaceful protest too...

Basic rule of thumb of an attack is to bring 3x the force... Want to destroy an base housing one company, bring 3 companies. 1 Tank battalion? Bring 3. Want to rob 1 man, do it with 3. People do this almost naturally, even with zero grasp of strategy. Almost common sense.

Lesson learned is that an attacker will never seek equality with you. He will always try to one-up you and preemtivaly bring more force to the table.

criminals wont think on the go wether they are killing you or not. if someone robbs you he already knows wether he would kill/attack or run away when you defend yourself. in that manner it doesnt matter wether you have a gun, a knife or just your fist. a robber that only wanted to intimidate you wont kill you because of a gun, but someone who already thought about killing you when you dont cooperate wont let you live just because you dont have weapon

lmao you are really overestimating american niggers

Gun friendly states almost always have lower incidences of crime specifically gun violence than gun restrictive states. That shows there is no relationship to gun ownership and violence.

If you look at where gun violence does happen it's almost exclusively limited to inner cities and furthermore it's almost exclusively limited to handguns.

Let's keep all that in mind and look at what the laws target though. The laws almost exclusively target assault rifles despite the fact that blunt objects kill more people each year than assault rifles do. Not only do the laws target the type of firearm LEAST responsible for gun violence, the restrictions apply to parts of the gun that don't do anything to curb the lethality of the gun for instance, stock, fore-grips, barrel shrouds (a passive barrel cooling feature) etc.

A ban on magazine capacity is stupid because it doesn't limit magazine quantity. I can have 10 bullets per mag but I can also have 10 mags.

I say all that to say this, legal gun owners regardless of whether their state has restrictive or unrestrictive gun laws commit virtually no violent crime.

Curbing legal gun ownership does nothing to curb illegal gun ownership all it does it diminish a citizens ability to defend themselves, their families, their property and other citizens.

If anything the more lawful citizens that carry guns the less likely a violent crime is to occur. Let's imagine 2 scenarios where someone is going on a shooting spree.

France has very restrictive gun laws and as a result over 100 people were killed by gunmen who encountered no resistance until police were able to mobilize and arrive.

If the population had been armed, even with just handguns I don't think any reasonable person can believe the carnage would have been even close to the same.

Ergo your gun ownership will never be enough defence? You are legally allowed guns, you have one for each household member (maybe 2 adults, 2 children), the criminals turn up with 4-6 guys? Then all your guns seem fairly useless in comparison. Once they are in, then they would have the upper hand. And how do you stop them getting in if you are all asleep when they come?

>but I am interested to see if my fellow Sup Forumstards can come up with cogent arguments in favour.
I will protect my family's lives with deadly force.
>It's my life, you won't take it without a fight.

I won't be the one holding a knife at a gun fight.

Out of interest, how many people have ever had their house or other property broken into, while they were there? Did you defend yourself with a gun? Could you have got away with using a different weapon (baseball bat etc.)?

Is your neighbourhood violent? Is gun crime, or any other crime, rife?

Listen to the Judge tell you everything you need to know.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=4orlWZeF6sg

>So Sup Forums, can you justify gun ownership?
It keeps burglars and thugs at bay. It works for you because you're an island. Landlocked people do not have the privilege of having an area isolated enough to be perfectly defensible against the intrusion of illegal guns.

Nevermind the fact that we have half your murder rate with thrice the amount of guns in the country and Switzerland is even more extreme.

TL;DR: A high amount of weapons with a low amount of poverty and a low amount of muslims and meth heads equals a safe society.

inb4
>Austria talking shit
We don't have muzzie gethos or the forced tolerance policy you have.

>mass shootings
What about them?
>Police violence
?
>gun crime
Overstated.

That being said, full auto guns should remain banned simply because full auto fire is completely asinine to use in an urban environment.

If criminals have them, fine. I can't control that except by driving the prices up through more stringent crackdowns.

I don't want law abiding citizens to cause unintended casualties during self-defence.

>Earpro
Thanks for not being twelve.
You're overestimating the desire for people to kill during robberies and underestimating their desire to not fucking die.

Australia banned a massive variety of guns and has limited them so much that they the regulations around them are plain ridiculous and has absolutely killed any culture Australia had around guns except in the very deep rural areas.

This had absolutely no practical positive impact. It lowered the rate of deaths by firearms but did not lower the rate of deaths in any statistically significant amount. What it did do though is ruin an industry and drive businesses into the ground.

But the largest issue is that it took away the citizen's right to defend themselves. One of our politicians after the Sydney siege said "Australia is a nation of victims". Our laws do not allow us to effectively defend ourselves which is an absolute affront to a free reasonable and truly safe society. Gun laws aren't to benefit the criminals who 6'4 and roll around with 3 of their friends, they're an equalizer so when an elderly man gets his house broken into he has a chance to defend himself. Deliberate murder may not happen all that frequently but if you were the one to be in a situation where you were sitting around, waiting for death then I guarantee that the only thing that's irrelevant is that you, as a law abiding citizen, were not allowed to have the opportunity to reasonably defend yourself.

FPBP

Because you should have the right to defend yourself.

And you should legally have access to the same weapons the bad guys can get.