They could've literally just done Red Hood and not a damn thing would've had to change

They could've literally just done Red Hood and not a damn thing would've had to change.

Instead, they lied. Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SJjhF83x4XE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was kind of weird. They kept saying in interviews that no one's going to be able to guess who it is since it's a completely original character.

Then everyone said it was going to be Jason Todd.

And then it was Jason Todd.

So they could call it Arkham BLANK

So people will buy it out of pure curiosity of who was the AK

>That deathstroke "fight"

Or maybe Arkham Night?

Let's just be painfully honest.

Arkham Origins had a better story.

Arkham Forever

Part of me really wanted him to be Azazel but a Jason is fine too.

I didn't mind that it was Jason/Red Hood I just don't like that they lied.

They could have called it Ashes of Arkham

>Playing Arkham Knight
>Struggling through the story
>Getting so bored by the end
>All of a sudden BAM
>Deathstroke's on the scene
>Interest skyrockets
>Do every motherfucking tedious-ass little side quest to be able to confront him
>Clone of earlier tank battle
>"Okay, I bet this is just the first form"
>Leaps from wreckage and gets bitchslapped
>"Okay, he's telling me he's still dangerous, I bet I get to GCPD lockup and have the fight there, maybe he even teams up with other criminals."
>Gets pushed into cell next to Pyg and crosses his arm.
>Mfw

>mfw Joker starts mentioning Jason Todd for no reason, namedropping him over and over and recounting his whole story just in case you have no idea who he is. All the while trying to make it sound casual.

Because this time he took after other daddy. NuBat instead of NuRed Hood.

They were so adamant about it too and then nope, Jason Todd.

Johns doesnt belong to Batman, is that simple.

because they didn't want to hire tdini back and the game designers weren't as competent writers as they thought.

The laziest shit i've seen in a video game in awhile.

>and the game designers weren't as competent writers as they thought.

The writer was Johns.

Arkahm City was nonsense just like Knight

Origns had best writing

FACT

City > Asylum >>> Origins >>>>>>> Knight

you literally can't dispute this

Nope, it was Martin Lancaster, Sefton Hill and Ian Ball. Johns was just a consultant.

explain to me what was wrong with City

>origins
>best writing
DUDE SURPRISE JOKER LMAO

>They were so adamant about it too and then nope, Jason Todd.
Then they kept doing the obvious story telling trope by having the game constantly say "Jason Todd is dead" as if that's gonna throw you off.

It was so fucking obvious but ill admit the scene where he does reveal its him and he removes part of the helmet and the color scheme changes to red was pretty cool.

One of the things i hate most about this game is we never got a 1 on 1 Red Hood v Batman duel. After WB montreals attempt at the Deathstroke style fight wtih an enemy that is as compotent at fighting as you i was really hoping Rocksteady would pull out something really fucking cool for this but instead i got nothing.

All the Arkham Knight fights kinda suck they could have done a way better tank duel if instead of the big drill he had his own tank styled after the Batmobile.

They could have done a much better stealth fight with the both of you persuing each other instead of the sneak up on him on a ledge.

The entire end of the game kind of bugs me aswell you disarm Batman and take him to Arkham Asylum and don't bother to have a stage going through destroyed old areas from the first game with the Joker hallucinations and Scarecrow gas attacks. You could also make that a great stealth section with you completley out of gadgets sneaking around.

You never have one of the team up fights with all 3 Robins.

It was so they could have arkham *one syllable*. You can't make arkham red hood work

Why did they switch from comic-realism to tacticool anyhow?

I hate it.

They probably thought he was a original character in their defense.

Game devs are notoriously ignorant about what they are working on, their skills/knowledge start and end at programming 99% of the time.

I think the biggest failing was how little any of the Robins appeared in game. They has a vague throw away line about Robin in Asylum. Robin then showed up in City to give Batman the line launcher, and half a DLC. Then knight comes along and there's three Robins and they all have this past with Batman that we never see in the game.

You didnt play Origins. You have the memes down though. Good for you, but dont pretend you know Origins story

City was a bored listless annoyed Batman being strung along by a successive slew of villains. A non character really

>implying that I didn't play Origins
>implying that the story doesn't pull a massive about-face on you, where it turns out that the Joker was Black Mask the whole time, and was the one who put the hit on you
>implying that the rest of the game doesn't turn into the Joker Show Round 3, where it's all Joker, all the time
>implying it didn't throw the assassins (except Bane) to the curb and completely undercut the advertising and the game's own first half
>implying that this wasn't the 2nd stupidest twist in the whole series, after the Arkham Knight being Jason Todd
literally the only thing Origins did good was Bane

Azazel is a character I've always wished that everyone didn't hate so much. There's so much story potential for a guy who took over as Batman for a while and knows he fucked it up something awful.

>Azazel

arkham origins had some cool shit but if it weren't MORE JOKER SHIT then it'd be many times better than City

Nah, Joker was done well. Electrocutioner was top kek.

I heard it wasn't even supposed to be Jason Todd and that it was actually for-real supposed to be a new character, but then executive interference happened and because Red Hood was popular at the time the suits said "Hey faggots, make the badguy Red Hood" and Rocksteady had to scrap their plans.

I did not appreciate the Joker stealing the spotlight away from a story that was (supposedly) focused on a lot of the lesser-known rogues in his gallery, and also stealing the focus from the "Year One" feel of Batman taking down the mob and mob-related activities. Especially not since this was the THIRD GAME IN A ROW where it turned out that the Joker was the main villain. You could argue that Bane shared the main villain role with the Joker in Origins, but I would have infinitely preferred that it had stayed Black Mask - Bane - Deathstroke as the main trio of villains.

It was a fetchquest with no real structure that sacrificed an interesting villain in Strange in favor of an asspull last-minute reveal involving Ra's al Ghul and forcing Joker as the main villain.

Not to mention the smaller flaws, like Freeze and Batman fighting for NO RAISIN, or Batman treating Joker's corpse with more respect than Talia's.

this is the best batmobile design of all the batmobiles

prove me wrong protip you can't

>last minute asspull
you find out that Ra's al Ghul was pulling the strings halfway through the game, when Batman visits the League for the first time to get his temporary cure

No, you only discover that Ra's has been residing in an underground city beneath Gotham. His involvement in the Arkham City plot isn't obvious until near the end.

What's Sup Forums's ranking of the Arkham games?

City's story was just awful. It's boring and uninteresting outside of context of a game, which would be excusable if it was at least engaging within the context of the game, like Arkham Asylum's story. But it wasn't. They had a race against time "I'm dying in a matter of hours and need to find the cure NOW" story in a fucking sandbox game, with a ton of unrelated side-quests. The story tried very hard to develop a sense of urgency, and completely ruined that.

Origins and Knight learned from that and had stories that actually made sense with the sandbox, side-questing format, and both of their stories can kind of stand on their own to various degrees. Yeah Knight was just a shittier Red Hood knock off but at least Red Hood's an okay story in itself. And yeah Origins was Joker-centric again, but it's also by far the most well written and interesting the Joker was in the Arkham series, not to mention it did the impossible and had a well-written Bane, which is ridiculously rare to find.

I don't know about Sup Forums as a whole, but personally

>Asylum
>Knight/Origins (Origins had the better story but Knight had more polished gameplay)
>City

I actually just did this shit the other night.

It's even worse because the entire time you're doing the quests to dismantle the militia, Deathstroke's all "Batman you're a great warrior but I'm a great killer, how about you try taking down a REAL warrior, 1v1 me you fucking pussy come on fight you stupid fucking bat FIGHT ME" and then you don't even get the satisfaction of fighting him hand-to-hand.

What a fucking letdown.

Source

I'll give City this much, as much as The Joker was shoved into the plot in a weird way, the end of the game with Joker's death was great.

Remember when Hamill swore he'd never voice Joker again after that?

City wins major points for having the balls to actually kill of the Joker and introduce lasting consequences in a non-forced way. No matter how hard Knight tried to force him back in with those retarded memory/hallucination sequences

Origins had Best Bane.

Like, seriously. Best adapted Bane ever.

they even put in an explanation for why he was an idiot in the other two games!

I was under the impression that Origins was really shitty. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime.

youtube.com/watch?v=SJjhF83x4XE
>That moment before the cutscene where Batman sees the vent and climbs on top of the elevator all sneaky
>Bane instantly realizes what's up and pulls him the fuck down and beats the shit out of him

That right there, that right FUCKING there, is the absolute embodiment of who Bane is as a character, and how he should be used as a villain.

What I actually want to know is why there are people who is still bitter about this? It's been a freaking a YEAR!

More like Arkham and Robin

Because only edgy faggots care about red hood.

Because tacticool is PRACTICAL and REALISTIC and MODERN.

remind me again why the Joker is usually billed as Batman's arch-nemesis when Bane is almost literally Evil Batman, but physically tougher?

Asylum is the best one

Yo can't possibly pretend that Knight was trying to go for realistic, don't give that that bullshit.

Because there's a dozen Evil Batman characters.

No, I think Michael Bay made a great work with it.

I get that they wanted to use their stupid tank battle feature who the hell thought Deathstroke was suitable for that? His entire shtick is that he's a master in hand to hand combat and an incredible threat to Batman. Why the hell would he decide to get into a tank battle? When did he ever do that? Why would he think that?
> Fucker got me good the first time. Better use my Deathstroke-tank next time. That will teach him.
Couldn't they just get some other guy for that? Any other b/c-list villains would have done the job just fine.

?

Well Bane is a more recent addition to the cast compared to Joker.

yeah, but Bane is the only one among them who actually earns the descriptor "Evil Batman" with actions

>Arkham Asylum 10/10
>With Batman in a perfect environment for the character, the majority of the experience makes up for its lackluster boss-battle. The stylistic and artistic look to the game definitely sells it as a Batman game. This one is my favorite in that it's a simple Batman versus Joker game, and feels like you're playing in an episode of "Batman: The Animated Series". This one is a must-play.

>Arkham City 9-10/10
>With the scale rising in how crazy things are and get, yet not as simple and fun as it's predecessor; this game will entertain you nonetheless, and you won't be disappointed. The main problem is the game is a bit too self defined, and strives to be a bit too big for some people's taste. The feel and tone of the last game is mostly gone, and new stylistic influences are added, and kept in the next games. Arkham City is what makes the Arkham-verse "Arkham" more than Arkham Asylum, ironically. This is a must-play.

>Arkham Origins 8/10
>While fun and entertaining as it's own short standalone game with the same game-play from Arkham City, this game suffers from a story that does not fit in with Arkham City or Arkham Asylum, and has a completely different tone and feel from the others. The game play and the (terribly forced) inclusion of the Joker are the only similar aspects that make this an Arkham game. It's story also ruins what would otherwise be a fine, simpler timeline by adding in confusing plot details, and sets the Arkham timeline as what it is, for better or for worse. This one shouldn't be mandatory to play.

>Arkham Knight 9/10
>The character "Arkham Knight" has an obvious and disappointing reveal, but one we were expecting. The game play was creative, if not repetitive at times, and the Joker once again is forced in, yet the game is definitely playable, has a fine story otherwise, but not without it's minor flaws. Give this one a play.

Thoughts?

also Arkham Asylum/City suits were GOAT

Dude Arkham Knight was Johns' idea

I could at least buy into the tank battle if we got the satisfaction of fighting him outside of it. Hell, if you really wanna go out of your way, make us THINK it's Deathstroke in the tank, then reveal that it wasn't actually Deathstroke but some goon dressed up like him, and have him ambush you on your way back to GCPD.

Or like, fuck, give us some Titans fanservice and have Robin come in to help fight him. Or fucking something.

At least I still have kicking Riddler's ass to look forward to. This Knightfall bullshit better be worth it.

How was it honestly surprising that the Joker would be Batman's villain? Fucker was featured in the first trailer of the game and was precised as not being parts of the assassins chasing Batman and the character way too important to get stuck in a side quest role (like anons speculated). Also, the game is called Origins but isn't about Batman's or Arkham's origins. Retrospectively, it is obvious to point out that it is about how Batman and Joker met. But even back then, it was easy to have a good idea of what the story will be about.

And hell. Everyone treat it as the reveal was a last minute thing. Joker literally shows his face 2 hours into the story (so enough time to refund your game on Steam if you're butthurt) and everything hints that there is something wrong with Black Mask all the way until then.

I get everyone are tired of the Joker. I am, too. Tough Origins did use the character well. The Joker was a very good successor to Hamill's and his scenes were probably better than some in the games prior. Some people might have preferred to have the Joker out of the game, but it doesn't change that his story was the best in the series and it did a lot of things right.

that Beyond suit though

Joker is Lex-Luthor, Bane is Doomsday.

Joker is the person who regularly challenges Batman on a truly fundamental level, but who Batman can still stop, albeit often with losing on some personal level.

The whole point of Bane is that he's Batman's ultimate match. He's the one dude who's just straight up better at this shit than him. He's stronger, he's faster, he's a better tactician, and he's better at prep-time. What makes Bane a thrilling and interesting antagonist for Batman is the fact that Batman can't really win the fight, without some kind of deus ex machina.

Which is fine and all, but the problem is, that's a dynamic that only really works one time. We got Knightfall, where Bane broke the Bat, and it was great, but bringing Bane back as an antagonist doesn't really work. If they make Bane weaker/Batman stronger and have Batman win, that devalues Bane and misses the point of him as a character. If Bane just comes back and keeps on winning, well, that's boring, and not fun to read. It's not interesting, there's no tension.

As a straight up villain, Bane's the type of character you can only really use once.

Which isn't to say he can only have one appearance. Bane's had a decent amount of fantastic stories where he was more of a neutral character. He's buried the hatched with Batman and is looking for some other purpose in life, sometimes even partnering up with Batman.

He can work as a protagonist, he makes a great neutral, force-of-nature type character, but you can really only play the villain card with him once, which means he can't really be an 'arch nemesis'.

Nobody ever remembers Killer Moth.

Riddle me this, Sup Forums!

Are the riddler trophies really worth completing, at all? In Asylum they did have ties to various villains, but I didn't like their implementaion in the other games.

Arkham City, if it kept things like Mr.Freeze's bossfight-style but had others more akin to Origins Deathstroke and Bane for the appropriate villians would be the pinnacle of of a Batman Game.

riddler trophies are never worth completing, it's actual, legitimate autism bait

>A-sy-lum
>One syllable
>Or-i-gins
>One syllable

I knew it was Jason Todd since the trailer as did most people but what did still suprise me was him actually putting on the red hood after the reveal. Thought that was a nice touch.

Because Joker is the antithesis to Batman.

And people say Catwoman was overly sexualized

The only game I 100% the Riddler trophies in was Knight because I wanted the full ending.

It wasn't worth it.

But don't you want to see the FULL, REAL ending? Batman would NEVER leave a SINGLE villain at large, after all!

Seriously, fuck Knightfall. Let the game end when the player's fucking done with it There's literally no reason why you can't say "batman preptimed ways to round up the last villains in a worst-case scenario."

It's because it was the boring, safe, disappointing route
>pls no more Joker pls no more Joker pls no oh god damn it
Joker may be a better villain than the other villains in Origins, but it was fun and interesting to NOT have him included and see how the B-team teamed up to take Batman down

If you aren't a completionist who cares about 100%ing then you should've known the risks and looked it up online.

>but you can't sexualize men

Also, the Catwoman levels in City fucking sucked, fight me

Bane had alot of potential in Origins, if only they didn't have to make him go full retard to fit with the Arkham timeline and backseat him to Joker.

it was the only way to make the canon work, user, the Origins team had no control over how Bane was portrayed in the other games

Origins has a few dumb story beats and contridicted continuity due to it, at the time, taking place five years before City. (Which was retconned to at least ten years with Knight) Like City, the dumb story beats doesn't stop the game from being extremely satifying when completed, and the highlights of the story are definitely Bruce and Alfred's interactions. Although scenes like Harley and Joker's first meeting are contridicted with Asylum's patient tapes and it went ignored for the most part.

> Meet up a guy who's teacher did the Beyond suit for Arkham Knight.
> He's pretty proud about having him as his teacher.
> Don't think too much and straight up tell him the suit was ugly as fuck.
> Basically sounds like a dick.
> He becomes instantly embarrassed and I immediately regret saying that.
I should watch out my autism sometimes.

plus it has literally the best adaptation of Bane of all time

Like I mentioned, I'm really tired of seeing the Joker everyone and I was also disappointed of having him in the game in favour of other, more interesting, characters like Shiva or Deathstroke. I'm glad tough he was great enough to make me forget it's another Joker's game. I was expecting him as the main villain but I wasn't expecting him to be pretty good.

But like you and others said, Bane was really great and basically stole the entire show.

You're not wrong, but, you're not right, either.

To be fair, it does suck dick since they kept that ugly furrowed brow that's on almost all the damn suits. Also call it the proto-Beyond Suit and I'd give some leeway to the ugliness of it. But yeah man, check your autism at the door or at least only when you're on the internet.

Concur. Its literally a tank game.

It was kinda fun in City as there is some level of completion and rewards in the end. Doing the same wasn't worth it in Origins. Collecting everything only ends the side quest with Riddler basically going all 'fuck you batman I'm gonna turn off my computer and never talk to you again'. Pretty frustrating imo.

Is this accurate?

You know, that makes me think that Rocksteady could actually make a fun and entertaining Mad Max game. Not Twisted Metal because they're attempts at being "real" would ruin the appeal of what makes Twisted Metal fun.

>Bought the game for my father because we've played all of them
>Think to myslef there is no way Arkham Knight is Jason Todd
>Red Hood DLC as a pre-order bonus
I tired to ignore it, then AKs first appearance cemented it.

It really isn't.

>taking place five years before City

This was never canon. Some idiot reporter confused that and the Nu52 timeline, and every other idiot reporter picked up on it.

Missed oppertunities
>Multiple Jokers (Great axed plotline champs!)
>Jason vs Harley (Why wouldn't Jason want to wipe out every last reminder that the Joker existed?)
>Deathstroke Battle (BECAUSE TANKS!)
>Scarecrow being the big bad (Congrats! you barely matter!)
probably more.
game was still 7/10
needed more Red Hood gameplay

Pretty much agree but I love these games.

Asylum>Knight>City for me. There's a lot of shit Knight did wrong but I thought the gameplay itself was stellar and improved upon City's, so I sort of have to rate it higher

City is literal shit