Why does DC make villains have such intense hate boners for the hero?

Why does DC make villains have such intense hate boners for the hero?
Why does it make them even more terrifying?

Nothing says enemy more than " i fucking hate you".

There is just something terrifying and interesting about a villain so fucking petty that they would literally take it up the ass just to get at you.

It is just so much dedicated, pure hate that it damn near turns into love.

The hate makes the hero-villain relationship more thrilling because the reader knows the villain can do something much worse than just killing the hero

damn, why couldn't they get Sinclair and Livesay to color Porter again? This looks mucho better than his current work. The dark spots really make it work.

Fuck this arch was amazing. Why did Johns have to ruin the flash by bringing back Barry I'll never understand.

Making the villain obsessed with the hero is the only way to have them appear again and again without the whole thing turning into one big joke.

I mean look at guys like the Flash' rogues. Sure they're an entertaining, colorful bunch, but most of them are basically just high-powered bank robbers who don't even dislike the Flash other than that he always stops their plans. The point though, is that they have literally zero reason to be bank robbers. First of all because with their powers and tech they could make a lot of money without resorting to crime, and second because their crimes don't pay as long as guys like the Flash are around anyway.

If Captain Cold really hated the Flash, that would give him a good reason to keep committing crimes and forcing confrontations. But if all he's interested in is making a big score and getting lods of emone, it makes zero sense to keep antagonising the Flash. IIf he had half a brain he'd just move to a different city, state, or country where there is no Flash.

So to remain a convincing villain in the long run, it's much better to be an obsessed lunatic like Joker, Zoom, etc. than an incompetent moron like Penguin or Cold.

That's nothing compared to the hateboner that all Marvel villains have for Spider-Man.
He has had multiple super-villain teams formed for the sole purpose of killing him, and even villains he's only fought once or twice would rather spend 10 minutes beating the crap out of him then actually escaping prison when given the chance.

Man manta is the best
I like that one issue of I think the new52 run where he's fighting aquaman and aquaman asks him "what do you want manta"
And he just says "everything you have"

Well to be fair, a big part of Spidey's MO is to add insult to injury as much as possible. It's one thing to get your ass beat by a superhero. It's another to also have him make fun of you for the whole duration of the fight.

>that time he viciously bullied the vulture for being old and bald
I felt bad for the guy

>extremely elaborate mindfuck scheme that involves burying his aunt alive in a grave, blackmailing Peter into breaking him out of prison, immediately backstabbing him and attacking him with the latest Sinister Six team

>sent this in the mail beforehand so it would arrive a day or two after everything is over

I think Dr. Doom's hateboner for RICHARDS far surpasses Black Manta's murderboner. It transcends time and space.

nah, Doom's pride still comes before his hate of Reed. Sometimes it doesn't seem that he hates him at all.
Manta lives just to fuck with Aquaman.

Norman's hate for Spider Man is quite something, too
Also Creed and Logan
And Daredevil & Bullseye

So, archenemy petty dickery thread?

For context, Frank thinks that the woman is his resurrected wife who wants revenge (it's actually some chick that hated Frank for other reasons and is pretending to be his dead wife to screw with him)

Yeah, and the reason Frank believes it at all is because the Hood had earlier tried to bring his family back, and the chick is a Hand member with mind fuck psychic powers.

To be fair, though, Peter's a fucking dickhead who brings it on himself. Shit, I wind up rooting for the villains half the time just because I want to see him get fucked up.

Even other heroes can't stand Spider-Man

Well, completely ignoring the quips, the dude's a fucking creep.

The window thing, the hanging from the ceiling thing, the complete and utter social awkwardness...

Hatred means they're willing to go to lengths that they otherwise wouldn't if it was strictly for money or fame or whatever. If they only want to cause the other person harm then they have no reason to ever give up.

With Manta it's an Ahab-Moby Dick thing. Some characters like Flash and Reverse Flash it's to highlight the duality of the characters

You've misunderstood the Rogues. The reason they stay around the Flash's turf is because they have mutual respect. Rogues stick to simple less violent crimes like robbery and avoid killing women and children, stuff like that. And when a real serious threat shows up they'll help out or stay out of the way. In return the Flash doesn't use overwhelming force against them. A guy like Batman might break half the bones in their body if they get caught, Green Arrow might put an arrow through them. Flash will just give them a shiner when he punches their lights out.

The Rogues aren't good guys but they understand boundaries. So Flash keeps the kid gloves on so they have no reason to develop a grudge and do something really heinous.

Avengers leave please

I like it when the Villain actually has a huge respect from the hero, and sees him as a worthy opponent that he enjoys fighting.
The respect usually isn't mutual.

>The point though, is that they have literally zero reason to be bank robbers.
Pic related

why did he have to kill everyone in the fish shop?

to be fair, dinosaurs are awesome.

Training. Manta was out of the supervillain business for a while when that happened.
He wanted to be in good shape for his nemesis

Honestly, I prefer it when the respect *is* mutual.

Is it so wrong that I want a "You magnificent bastard... I read your book!" moment?

Look at the expression on his face when that old guy says "Amazing, isn't it? Aquaman's back."
Eyes closed, lips curled, brow furrowed.
Manta's trying to restrain himself, but that guy went and said the wrong shit.
From there it's just open season, or maybe to get rid of any witnesses, who knows.

Norman is the pettiest of petty hate boner villains and I love him for it.

To add to the other comments.
Scooby Doo universe
In that so many people would clearly have advanced degrees to do half the stuff they make. All of them should be able to make money. But in a world where super scientists are creating godbots and time guns, a freeze ray isnt that impressive anymore.
Its one of those. They have amazing tech compared to us, but its probably barely beyond highschool science class to them.

A lot of villains have catching up to do with Creed. He made a vow to visit Logan on his birthday every year and ruin whatever progress he's made in life just because. Victor could do literally anything else with his life, he could be doing literally anything else at the time even but he stops everything, tracks Logan down with his senses and just guts, eats and who-knows-what whoever so long as it hurts Logan then whether or not they have a fight and whether or not he wins he just disappears.

This isn't even including the shit he does when he just so happens to run into Logan. Like getting Daken involved.

I recall there was even a comic where Logan tried to turn the tables and hunt Creed instead (earlier?) and Victor pointed out in his usual joyfully discouraging fashion that it makes no difference. He then squarely beat Logan's ass I recall, Logan flipped things by getting some training from a monk or something, winning the next time and saying they were done but still.

Spider-Man on his own is fun to read. Two Spider-Mans makes you realize why nobody in-universe wants to be around him.

What about having that with hate? Are there any heroes who hate their enemy enough to, say, let people die in order to fight them or something? I think Manta and Arthur's relationship would be more interesting if the hate were reciprocated beyond Aquaman just not liking him.

>Are there any heroes who hate their enemy enough to, say, let people die in order to fight them or something?
No, because if they did that, they wouldn't be heroes.

I seem to remember Jason Todd pulling some shit similar to what you described, but I'm not too sure and Jason is not an hero

>That's nothing compared to the hateboner that all Marvel characters have for Spider-Man*
>*except for bitches

ftfy

Is there an equal hatebromance in comics?

...Why are you posting weebshit? That's a line from Patton.

That's a bullshit justification though. If they respected the Flash they wouldn't be shitting up his city at every opportunity, and if they were dead-set on being criminals they wouldn't do so in a city that makes it all but impossible for them. No matter what your chosen profession is, if the place you work is making it literally impossible to do your job properly, you either find a new job or you find a new place to do it at.

The only reason groups like the rogues exist is because of the shallow justification that they're comicbook villains that need to play a specific role no matter how little sense it makes, and not real people. But that's just another sign of bad writing.

And the rogues want to rob banks. But that's exactly my point. If they wanted to rob banks, why not do so in a place that actually has banks they could rob and aren't guarded by the guy that kicks their ass every week? It only works because they're props and not people.

Even if that was true (and it obviously isn't - there are actually several comics that go into this), that doesn't explain why they're stupid enough to all operate inside the city that makes it impossible for them to actually operate.
Though of course the Flash rogues are just one specific example of this. Most superheroes have their own villains who by all rights shouldn't be "their" villains. There are plenty of ways to get out of this. Punisher villains work, of course, because they don't last long enough to make the same mistake twice. Guys like Kingpin work because it's made clear, over time, that they're part of a larger whole and not tied town to one hero. Joker and Zoom work because they're in it to mess with the hero as much, or even more, than anything else. And so forth. But the guys that just keep doing the same thing and getting wrecked by the same hero are all just incredibly stupid, simply for narrative convenience.

Cause people who like DC comics care more about the thematic conflict between archetypes rather than actual character interactions

That's because Spidey is a small guy with a big mouth.

Getting your ass kicked by Captain America is one thing, getting it kicked by some tiny guy who sounds like Woody Allen and gets everyone to laugh at you on top of it can get to you after it happens a few dozen times.

>If they wanted to rob banks, why not do so in a place that actually has banks they could rob and aren't guarded by the guy that kicks their ass every week?

Because they're pretty much all prideful shits who find the challenge to be exciting and fun. It's a goddamn game for half of them.

You'd think Frank would hate the Hood for that as much as he hates Jigsaw, but you never see him gunning for the Hood.

Not that guy, but S.cry.ed is pretty cool for weebshit, and part of its appeal (as well as its relevance to the thread) is that the main heroes completely and utterly hate eachother almost from the moment they meet, and will go out of their way to fuck eachother up. Even later in the show, when everything goes to hell and they are forced to cooperate and develop some kind of mutual respect, they still both want to kick the other guy's teeth in and proceed to do so when there aren't any more pressing concerns. Their chemistry is pretty nice because they come from completely opposite places and mindsets (rich vs poor, police vs criminal, disciplined vs cuhrayzee, etc) but still have a lot of similarities. It's kinda like Batman and the Joker being forced to cooperate even though they'd both rather kill the other. It's not the most original story, but the execution is quite enjoyable.

Meh, weebshit that doesn't even sound remotely appealing. Get it off of Sup Forums.

It's not his fault. He was triggered.

this the breakout when Sentry buttfucks Carnage?

Tl:Dr it was on Toonami/adult swim once and I'll defend it to the death because having it on muh mature cartoon block somehow elevates this generic weebshit to a level worth discussing.