Would you have enjoyed a darker, edgier Toy Story?

youtube.com/watch?v=JH-Ob9XVJ_o

This isn't edgier, Woody is simply even more an asshole

I'd honestly like to read a full script on this if possible.

>edgy

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Woody is just even more of an asshole in that, it's toned down in the actual movie, and those were good changes.

Woody's basically the same character in the final film, it's just that in earlier versions he was more of an asshole to everyone, not just Buzz.

>you would have hauled away to goodwill so shut your mouth

Woody was nowhere near that much of a dick in the movie, are you kidding?

Which makes it weaker as a script, because Woody who is, arguably, the protagonist of the story, becomes completely unsympathetic.

Yeah, Woody acts like a jerk in the final film, but he acts like a jerk for relatable, understandable, and sympathetic reasons - he's being replaced both as Andy's favorite toy and as the leader and source of inspiration for the other toys.

This 'darker' version from the first drafts fits in with the collars and police state of the early 'Zootopia' script drafts - interesting ideas to talk about but the finished products are stronger without them.

I've always felt the other toys were too dickish to Woody in the finished film, I guess that's a remnant of this version, they toned down Woody but didn't adjust the rest of the characters response to him, so they end up throwing their lifelong friend and leader out the window because of an accident with a toy they barely knew.

I was under the impression that Woody would undergo a change of heart and become less of a dick by the end, which would be far more compelling than what we got

Edgy Toy Story.
Buzz(to Woody): "Asshole!"
Woody: "Fuck you too bitch."
Sid enters the room and starts doing drugs.

It's hilarious in 2D and in the storyboard art but I don't think it would translate as well in 3D animation.

In some of the early drafts, Woody literally gets pulled apart by the other toys.

Imma gonna need a sauce on that, chief

I'd like to see the full version of that video

Maybe wouldn't have made a good movie on its own but pretty funny compared to what we got.

Not an extreme change; I don't think Woody ever wasn't an asshole in the Toy Story trilogy. It's kinda just one of his character traits.

no. but this explains why i always hated woody. they may change his personality but the character design still screams asshole

Whatever do you mean, user?

Jesus, those fucking faces

zootopia 2 had to become basically someone else's film.

since it was basically a film noir, that clashed heavily with "talking animals" theme.

In the earliest drafts, like, JUST after they abandoned the Tin Toy idea, the villain was a ventriloquist dummy named Woody. They recycled the name for a cowboy doll when they moved to the buddy film theme, but ditched the design because "he looked too sneaky and mean".

This doesn't sound too bad, when you find it 15 years later.

Same goes for Kingdom of the Sun

That'd just make it a Dreamworks movie.

it all comes together

I never heard Tom Hanks impersonating the bad guy

Is kinda funny, like hearing Winnie the Pooh cursing