Unsounded

Four-page update this time around.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I knew Elan was gonna bite it, but damn. he deserved better

youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

Everything happens so much.

And much to my infinite sadness, the comic is on break until the 18th..
seriously though, fuck cresce

It's a gruesome death, but a good one. I like how set up this was actually: it's a plausible way for Elan to sacrifice himself for their escape without him suddenly becoming super competent, and it emphasises Toma's message that individual - and small, even - heroism is important. Plus we get an appropriately horrifying scene to show off Captain Hetr and General Bell (still lol at Hetr's name).

He definitely gave better than he got, a dude in his condition not only spit in the eye of the true traitors but seriously fucked up their plans by aiding Toma and co.

Pretty girly pages desu

Ashley really wears her gore fetish on her sleeve

Is it really Cresce though? They're acting without approval of their ruler and using abominable methods to achieve their goals.

The real question is who gives them the long dick of revenge? Alderode or Cresce itself?

Jesus christ
Are they fucking core leeching his dying body? Why?

I think they're just immolating him using the fire in the area.

I have a weird feeling Toma is going to end up becoming a king.

Elan ;_;

Also, I thought this chapter was supposed to be light.

That's weirdly Ssaelit. I guess it's a little ambiguous because of the golden magic Aura that these guys have. It's a similar effect to when Duane did it on the flesh in the Silver

Ashley is a filthy fucking liar that lies.

Sure but you know how fiction goes, the one best suited to the role always dies instead because thats so totally unique and rare right?

The construction of these pages is fucking lit. That regulated first panel, but with the slant and bleedover to the crying child and "what of VALUE", stuff starting to slant more and that division with Elka's hand and Elan's face, and then all the panels fucking clashing together like crazy in the fight, and in the last you can actually sort of read each panel as how Elan's dying perspective diminishes in focus - what he's trying to pay attention to - and the fadeout the white and just the back of the wright. Shit like this reminds me why I love this comic so much.

I'm pretty sure that's a core leech. That white-haired wright is casting something, and Elan's body is dissipating into light.

Makes it look like an explosion killed him though, which is what they're going for.

Fuck man, this setting is pretty grim and sad when you consider all the powers in charge of everything have multifaceted corruption and lies going on.

We need some big god damned heroes.

No dirt nap for elan.
Only a khert nap.

oh tentacle hat lady, I almost forgot about you

And now she's dead, along with the rest of the town.

and now she'll be forgotten in some unmarked mass grave.

That breastplate did not do much at all

How is he even moving and speaking with burns that bad?

>burns that bad?
????

Hetr is just that hardcore.
I hope Duane murders the fuck out of him, I really do.

How can you possibly imagine that? At best, Sonorie's going out, succeeded by some other Nobel under Toma's advisement.

As a result of the attack in panel four here:
about a quarter of Hetr's head got burnt to hell, as shown here:

Well the Queen sure has a lot going on under her nose. OR IS IT??? Could this be a triple layered conspiracy?!?

Well I mean, there's at least one more layer to the Aldish plot than is readily displayed based on the find that Duane was being tailed by assassins even before meeting with Bodie.

So given the parallels between the nations, it's entirely possible.

Until you get a close-up I wouldn't assume that much damage. The flames don't hit him fully

Cresce is shit.
Alderode is shit.
The Gefendur gods are dead.
The only true salvation lies with Ssael.

and then it turns out that murkoph is ssael after all

Motherfucking hell dude.

If that's what they're doing, they're probably doing it to destroy evidence. They want this massacre to look like it was the result of the silver, not humans,

[F]

>"I like the Captain's sword... it doesn't announce itself."

( ;-;)7

It's interesting to see the constable's reaction here. The beginning of Masks has her and her colleague joking about the deaths of the townsfolk sent off to war and the lack of quality of those being sent off now. But in the end, she goes to stop Hetr from attacking the town. It's a nice contrast in her character, especially a minor side antagonist character.

F

F

(F)

A fetish she may have, but I don't think that's what's happening here. One of the things about this comic is that death isn't pretty. Fighting often isn't too pretty either, despite people like Duane and Matty having lofty ideals about duels and what not.

In another story, Elan would make his last remark, and be shown to be holding off some enemies as the heroes escaped. We might see him run through with a sword, cough up a bit of blood, and die with a smile all glorious-like, if at all. In Unsounded, his torso is caved in, and he dies with an agonized look on his face and tears in his eyes as he tries to reach his badge. Only for his hand to be stomped on and his body erased from existence (the one bit of his death we don't actually see on the page). This is the kind of universe where death can be very agonizing and horrific in a lot of ways.

Other stories due this sort of thing too. Attack on Titan frequently has people die in "glorious" stands or attacks, only for their last moments to be full of pants wetting fear, pain, and gruesomeness. Many regretting that they tried to do the heroic thing at all. No one, not even the heroes, really gets to die in a good looking way.

Look up the death dialog for Red Orchestra Rising Storm death sounds, if you have the stomach for it, for a similar thing done with sound. The dialog varies between fear, denial, petty bargaining, bitter rage, and delusion. Gore and ugliness can be a bit edgy, but in the right hands it makes death something with more impact than a sanitized sacrifice.

What tipped you off? The fact that one of her characters is a sexy shirtless cannibal who eats women after he has sex with them? Or that one page where Toma looks like he's in ecstasy as Duane is disemboweling him?

This.
I stopped believing her a long time ago.

>tfw Sweaty Private Elan Aled DID make most of his time

Damn. Something tells me Duane wouldn't be cool with this even if it's just Crescians killing Crescians.

Duane might be a racist, chauvinistic zealot, but he still has pretty lofty ideals. You'd have to be real scum not to hate turncoats and traitors.

This comic is so good.

Hey now. Duane isn't racist, he's nationalistic. He hates Crescians because of their filthy garbage commie culture, not because they're black.

Duane is downright progressive as far as treatment of women goes for Alderode he was going to teach his daughter the basics of being a wright and he treated his wife respectfully.

F

What is he trying to grab there?

this... is pretty hot

Did you read the comic?
Elka gave that peaceguard emblem to him after he saved her life and they were cuddling well, just holding on to each other in the water.
It's a symbol of what he always wanted to stand for and did stand for in the end.

>Did you read the comic?

I did, but I have a shit memory. Thanks.

Why they gotta kill the good ones man?

Cause "The Good Ones" are a subset of "Everyone"

He barely looks burnt though. It's just his clothes.

Wait, so the govt, knew everything and just... let it go? I can't think of a single reason why that would be so.

I read this comic from day one and I still barely understand half of what's going on. Am I missing some important background stuff?

We already knew that forever ago. The silver is a weapon meant for Alderode it wasn't supposed to go off there.

only the traitors, not the queen. they let everything go so they can get the silver transported. I think they were gonna cleanse the town regardless of whether they accomplished that or not

Yes. If you need more information you should reread the comic. But this time concentrate.

It was his own badge that Elka took from him, then he earned it back through heroically saving Elka from drowning. My feels.

His mustache and hair and eyebrows and eye look pretty singed too.

This, read everything in one go and marvel at all the subtle foreshadowing that becomes apparent

>Spend your whole life fighting in a pointless neverending war against Alderode
>have to witness more grotesque and horrifying machines of war being brought to the battlefield ever year, cutting down men like flies
>an endless supply of new recruits are sent into the grinder under your command, just to hold the line long enough for the next batch to arrive
>and there's nothing you can do about it
>some fellow arrives in your capital offering to sell a new weapon powerful enough to end the war in one strike
>this is it, finally a way to put an end to the madness
>your bitch queen says no, says the weapon doesn't match her nail-polish or something
>the fellow is obviously just gonna sell the weapon to Alderode if we dont buy it
>use your influence to make sure the weapon won't be used against your nation and arrange for it to end the war in your favour instead
>no more men under your command will have to die for some foppish queen whose only concern is keeping the meatgrinder going and away from her palace
>and once the war is over, maybe it's time to put a real leader in charge of your nation
General Bell did nothing wrong.

>The ends justify the means

Is he going to be ok?

He just wanted to be a better person!

Ashley is a gore fetishist.

Not only that but Elka had been helping Toma collect those emblems from soldiers in different parts of the world to send home to Toma's daughter for her collection.
Toma was Elans idol and when he met him he was ashamed that he did not meet Toma's standards for a good soldier since he had helped with the conspiracy.
Elans final actions were to sacrifice his life in pursuit of what is right rather than what he is ordered as Toma wanted, and then to try and give his emblem to Elka to give to Toma since he was now worthy Toma's daughter's collection.

Don't feel bad. Unsounded moves slowly despite its 3-a-week normal upgrade schedule, so sometimes you 'lose' important details due to scenes progressing slowly. S'why it helps to do a reread every chapter or so.

Don't they usually draw intestines spread everywhere and stuff? This seems more restrained.

The people that are destroying the city ARE acting with the approval of their ruler, it was the city officials themselves that were working with the red berry boys against the queen's wishes.

>The real question is who gives them the long dick of revenge? Alderode or Cresce itself?
Nobody expects the Ulestrian Inquisition!

No, they all were.
The city constables were paid off by Stockyard to facilitate his shady dealings.
Bell seems to be the person behind the silver being sent to Alderode as a whole, and Hetr is directly under his command. Now that the silver plan has hit a snag, Hetr is apparently going to raze the town in order to eliminate any witnesses to the bullshit that's being perpetrated.

>Duane might be a racist,
He isn't though, his beef is with cresce and to a lesser extent the geffendur relgion, but he has made it clear he doesn't hate the individuals that belong to either he hates them as a collective and with good reason since he has been the victim of both.
Not saying that jibgoism and religious prejudice are justifiable just because you got the short end of the stick but he is not racist.
And as for chauvinist consider that he may be the closest thing to a gender egalitarian in Alderode he loved Sarthos and intended to train Mikalia before she died, also what made him love his wife was that she was intelligent and capable of getting the better of him.

Kind of amazing Duane isn't a racist, all things considered.

She's more into necrophilia and hairy armpits than gore.
Also feet, if Sette is anything to judge by.

She had Duane literally peel murkoph.

honestly i mostly pinned her as a blood and tentacles kinda lady.

>To a lesser extent the geffendur religion
YOUR GODS ARE DEAD

Dwayne "Childlover" Adelier strikes again.

Yeah that seem like a lesser dislike than that he has for Cresce

Well they are

To be fair, dead gods didn't kill his daughter.

But the message left behind was explicitly pro greffendur.

But was it actually left by legit gefendur?

I'm sure they were but the point was to try to weaken Alderode by pitting the greffendur and the ssealite against each other.

>and then it turns out that murkoph is ssael after all
Nah mate, he's the part of Ssael he left behind when he ascended. It's fine that he's a deplorable sap, because Ssael left all of his mortal failings in that empty shell. A reminder of what clings even to those who'd call themselves pure hearted, that a monster lurked even in the greatest of men.

No no, clearly she meant "lightening" as in lightening the cast size.

I got the impression they were legit, a calculated move by the powers that be. Allow them in to do their thing, and when caught and questioned, they'd tell their truth, with no clue of why they'd really been there.

Third Kickstarter when, Ashley? I want to re-read this all but it's so much nicer to read on paper.

No kidding. I went to reread my copy of Book 1 last month and ended up staying awake half the night reading to the end of Book 2.

Ashley's attention to detail is impeccable and it makes the comic flow amazingly well.