This is what is considered movie worthy animation now, seriously

This is what is considered movie worthy animation now, seriously.

youtube.com/watch?v=VeNi4PfNMqI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8ZmXK87tWlQ
johncelestri.blogspot.com/2011/07/batman-robin-commercial-series-for.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tbseMaCIfdo
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22294/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/14715/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16157/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/6503/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22090/
youtube.com/watch?v=uUbkdWOXq5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=IlM3EmwBWm4
youtube.com/watch?v=k6qLLoEdWZw
youtube.com/watch?v=B0aGGabInXM
youtube.com/watch?v=l2ICLtVtEC4
youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I legit thought it was fanmade the first time I saw it

This is what is considered "DIRECT TO VIDEO" movie quality.

Alan Moore's works should be left alone, entirely.

The fact there marketing it as shocking has me really worried

B-but Hamill and Conroy, it has to be good r-right?

Ive seen better fan made animations than these.

>tfw the last good film to have a realistic style was Flashpoint Paradox, 2014

Assault on Arkham was okay, hell, even DKR was pretty good but this is just depressing.

Is Killing Joke not considered more popular than every animated film we've seen so far? You would think they'd have a bigger budget for this, unless they fucking blew it all on Conroy and Hamil.

As I understand it they're basically doing the dialogue from the comic verbatim though. If they stick close to the original story, with their awesome voice work, it should at least be decent right? Maybe just listen to it, treat it like a book on tape.

What happened DC? You used to own this shit.

Flashpoint Paradox was ugly beyond belief.

Also, Gods and Monsters is one of the best DC Direct to Video films. Timm's art style is truly excellent.

>Flashpoint Paradox
Too much CGI for the running portion in that movie, in my opinion

That's what I'm saying. Fuck is going on?

Clearly, good animated films and bad live action films wasn't good enough, so they went for mediocre animated films and mediocre live action films.

i blame globalism, jews, and sjw's.

Don't forget good Geoff Johns books and mediocre everything else.

God damn!
I was pretty unimpressed by the first trailer, but this is just gross. It's like they cut out half the frames and expected you not to notice. That's to say nothing of it looking so bland and lifeless.

dkr was good (especially the tunnel of love scene?), flashpoint paradox was subpar.

If I had to guess I would suspect that Warners isn't putting the same sort of resources behind this as they might due to the fact that it's getting an R rating.

Ugly, yes, but it was still well animated. If you watch it again, you can see that they put a lot of detail in the environments, backgrounds and how the characters act (small simple gestures.) And including how many characters they had to juggle as well, the list goes on and on.

And yeah Gods and Monsters is great. I just didn't include it because it's Bruce Timm. That and his style isn't really realistic.

Yeah it was weird in some shots.

AQUAMAN IS HUGE

HE MUST HAVE HUGE GILLS

welp. they fucked up.

Peharps since they made it R-rated, they knew already it wasn't going to make a lot of sales and they cut the budget?

I honestly don't understand why so many people why people are having such a spaz attack over how this movie looks. I think it looks good enough. Sure it should look a lot more realistic to match the original novel, I still think they found a happy medium considering that it would've been nearly impossible to animate if this was as detailed as the comic.

It looks a bit cheap and the animation is dodgy. It's a movie from a major company based on a very popular series.

youtu.be/8ZmXK87tWlQ

this was animated by one guy and it captures tkj's artwork perfectly.

They still are, they have no competition in that scene.

It's also 30 seconds long.

Those exaggerated jaw movements are cracking me up

Whoah so like, you're saying we should havhe like...

A TEAM of dudes who can do that so we can like...

MAKE A MOVIE?

Nah, it is possible to make it look closer to the comic but it would take years to finish the whole production. Redline anime took 7 years of development time because of its semi realistic design and details.

You remind me of the people over at Sup Forums who's respond to the Warcraft movie is
>Why didn't Blizzard just make the whole thing in CGI, like their god tier trailers.
Somehow missing the fact that sometimes things are only really good because they are short.

Yeah it does look pretty stiff. They jus have blown their entire budget on the voice actors.
>they used the blood under the eyes meme instead of the water version

Ugh. This was doomed from the start.

Yeah because R-rated movies have been doing bad lately right? people would gobble up a R rated batman movie.

it, as well as a few others, were created on a very small budget and for a very short deadline.

johncelestri.blogspot.com/2011/07/batman-robin-commercial-series-for.html

it's apparent that they blew their budget getting a-list actors for tkj when they should have put it into the animation to make it more like those commercials.

>Somehow missing the fact that sometimes things are only really good because they are short.
Oh fuck off thats total bullshit in both these scenarios.

For one, that CG would only be one way to go about telling the same story, like a realistic looking pixar movie.

And for this, go fuck yourself and watch some old, well animated movies from back in the day.

Like Looney Tunes. Or Disney films. You ever see fucking Tarzan?

>Yeah because R-rated movies have been doing bad lately right?
They actually have, yeah.

Deadpool came out late into this movies production, so the R-Rated revival has only just begun.

That's the thing, this movie was kind of in development hell because every single time they wanted to make it something would happen to make DC hesitant (terrorist attacks, Watchmen doing poorly, etc)

>Fires a single action revolver with an uncocked hammer

You do understand the meaning of the word "lately" right?

>You ever see fucking Tarzan?
Yes and the CGI looks rather dated these days. But none of the stuff you mentioned are animated on the same level as that TV commerical.

The past few years you dumb cunt.

They dont just animate this shit in a couple of days you fucking idiot.

>Yes and the CGI looks rather dated these days. But none of the stuff you mentioned are animated on the same level as that TV commerical.
Not as detailed but animated way smoother than that. Theres more FPS going on.

Animation is just drawing things a lot in sequence. Its not that hard, just time consuming. If WB cared even the slightest about their animation department, their movies could easily be on par with those commercials.

>considering that it would've been nearly impossible to animate if this was as detailed as the comic
Dark Knight Returns, Flashpoint Paradox, Superman/Batman Apocalypse, Under the Red Hood, hell even fucking Justice League: War did it. It's not impossible.

It's not even a fucking question of "style," the animation is outright shit from a technical point.

I'm more sad at how much Conroy is phoning it in nowadays. Origins and YJ Batmen are much better.
youtube.com/watch?v=tbseMaCIfdo

this thread

its clearly ok animation with weird time sliding from the trailers makers why the fuss?

When the trailer sets the normal speed it looks less choppy look at the 0:16 and the tackle at 0:33. Its clear that the trailer house tried to stretch some clips and screw their framerate

I mean you say that, but then there's this trailer.

>. If WB cared even the slightest about their animation department, their movies could easily be on par with those commercials.
They do care, but can you honestly say that any of these movie can pull people to the cinema? That's why they are the quality that they are, these are straight to dvd movies not a cinema release.

Nice choppy shit tier animation just like one of my cheap 90s animes.

Roger Craig Smith did a surprisingly good job as Batman, even though he did sound a bit odd at times. Wouldn't mind seeing him take up the role again in the future.

God i love angry batman.

What can be achieved in 30 seconds is not necessarily indicative of what can be achieved in 90 or 120 minutes even if you have more people.

Redline is exceptional and very few movies are in production that long. Realism and detail don't require seven years of work.

This is all TV anime:
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22294/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/14715/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16157/
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/6503/

>0:13
>Jim Gordon's rapeface

you all thought it

the only kind of animated movies WB even makes any more

they don't have a huge audience - compare this with the last "classic" Batman story they adapted, the Dark Knight Returns part 2, which made $3.9 million on a budget of $3.5 million, and you can easily see why the budgets had to be slashed here (assuming that's why the thing looks like shit)

compare that in turn to the previous outing, TDKR part 1, which made $5.7 million on a presumably similar budget, or the two Batman Unlimited movies of 2015, which made less than a million and, er, so little that nobody bothered to release the data, respectively; or to Gotham Knight, which made $9.6 million way back in 2008 (about $10.7 million today), and it's pretty clear nobody's buying these things any more - the ones aimed at kids aren't selling and the ones aimed at adults aren't really doing much better

which is pretty much what happened to comics as an industry, and probably isn't unrelated to the way Batman has been marketed for the past decade of movies, so if that Batffleck solo doesn't shit money out so fast it's pouring out onto the sidewalks, don't count on seeing too many more Batman movies of any kind

"he prints money" never was an argument, his earnings are middling at best

Take a look for the sales of each animated movie.

Its a constant decline

The walking at 0:09, the door opening at 0:14 and the poster being ripped at 0:27 looked pretty bad to me.

Jesus fuck did they just delete half of the frames in every scene for some reason?

How the fuck can Timm & co. put their names on such blatant low quality work?

>What can be achieved in 30 seconds is not necessarily indicative of what can be achieved in 90 or 120 minutes even if you have more people.
No but its indicative of the fact that this shit could look better.

Maybe they'd make more money if they bothered to fucking promote this shit.

Why does nobody fucking get this, not talking to you, im talking about the people in WB or in similar companies.

"oh its a failure, see?"

Well of course it is, Heinrich, nobody fucking knew it was coming out.

It is very hard, and not all animators can do all the same things. You have to know how things move and how to create effects like foreshortening, low angles and three-dimensional camera movement as the character or object is moving.

This clip for example has a lot of foreshortening and from different perspectives:
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22090/

You ask some cartoon animator to do that and he won't know what the fuck.

Yeah, because they stretched it to make it slower, look at the released clip:
youtube.com/watch?v=uUbkdWOXq5Y

I think this is ok, not bad. What makes ok is the questionable reason to make so similar to the comic and have that awkward door oppening and other scenes, but is in no way bad. Wtf did Sup Forums forgot the new PPG already?

Thats why you do it factory style.

You dont have individuals do individual frames completely, you have some guys do the construction lines, some guys do details, some guys do colors.

You split different aspects of the projects visual requirements into different groups with different skills to maximize the look of the film.

Not a criticism, but those omega beams remind me of the 3D Pipes screensaver at one point...

Looks fine to me desu

You still need people who can animate and draw well, simply dividing the labor doesn't help.

No shit.

You get people of high skill levels do to the brunt of the work required for the hard parts, like foreshortening, low angles, etc. And make it move faster by having finished pencils, inking, coloring, backgrounds done by different people.

It still looks a bit weird to me. I think it's just the angle they used because it's fine when they're walking towards the viewer.

There are various levels of "bad." I don't think it's terrible, like some. I just think it seems a bit off. It's not unwatchably bad or anything. I'm probably still going to see this movie.

>that jerkiness
This is Batman, in one of his most iconic stories. And fucking DC couldn't give them enough money for this not to look like it was fanimated? WTF? This needs double the frames to look like it should!

>You get people of high skill levels
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Not just any animator can do this. You need people who are very skilled.

>And make it move faster by having finished pencils, inking, coloring, backgrounds done by different people.
That's already how animation is normally done.

> yfw the Japs can make the animation of ONE EPISODE of their show a gaziilion times better than a well funded movie from a multi-billion dollar company

Why does Sup Forums still exist?

youtube.com/watch?v=IlM3EmwBWm4

It had to be as mediocre as the source material.
Get over it, The Killing Joke is the "Nightmare before Christmas" of Batman comics, it just appeals to Edgy le Egde who don't know better. It's a poor depiction of Batman and a short and mediocre story for Alan Moore standards. The idea itself was good, but instead of having a deep and complex story we got "omg barbs naked, much rape very R rated, such controversy"
The movie deserves to be shit, anyone who thinks The Killing Joke is awesome just for Moore obviously didn't read Watchmen or V for Vendetta.
Yes, I'm angry

Because as good as the animation is, it's still cringey weeb bullshit.

Far more entertaining than this edgy shit.

>yfw this is self-published fan animation:
youtube.com/watch?v=k6qLLoEdWZw

But to be fair, the roles get reversed when you compare live action (not as dramatically, but still).

Anime, by definition, cannot be weeb. And cringey has turned into yet another meaningless buzzword.

the secret to anime looking good usually and also being well animated is the low framerate.

But they've also mastered animating in that low framerate, so you almost never really notice.

Can WB make anything but Batshit? I'm thoroughly sick of Batman.

Too bad the plot of Gods and Monsters was beyond fucking retarded.

"People" like you ruined comics.
The Killing Joke is a damn good story.

>tfw you'll never see the animated adventures of Black Cat and Kit

*amazing

>generalizing all of western animation based on one movie

Why don't you leave if all you want to do is talk about anime?

youtube.com/watch?v=B0aGGabInXM

And all of it without being retarded, unlike your video.

That is why Japanese studios often split up key animators and inbetweeners. You know enough animation basics, you could be an inbetweener in Japan. Once you passed the key animator test, you could be one. Every studio did divides the labor, my dear user. They even outsource post production to other studios.

but phantom world can suck my dick because everything about it besides its animation are utterly awful.

>opening is zod metaphorically raping supermans mom in front of his dad

I guess if you're a cuck.

Why do they so often insist on making Batman musclebound? He's supposed to be a ninja. Same with Supes really, he's fit, but not a bodybuilder.

I'm perfectly aware that the labor is divided and I never said it isn't. I just said that dividing it doesn't help if your staff don't know how to animate and draw.

>The Killing Joke is a damn good story
The comic has an ambiguous ending that interprets as two options, either Batman and Joker became BFFs, or Batman killed the Joker.
nigger are you fucking serious?

I dunno. Cause they're dumb.

Fine. The plot is dumb and the pacing is terrible. Nobody looks or acts like actual people and all the characters are cliches.
Why is it in every one of these things people just stand around and comment on the fight the protagonist is having?

>some guy compares a superior Japanese slave labor animation to the inferior Korean slave labor animation the thread is discussing
>this is a totally legit topic for discussion and not bait at all!
I can't believe this shit still flies.

An animation studio won't hire anyone that couldn't draw shit.
There is a practice that animator can choose any cut they want to animate and even if they can't choose, they can definitely seek help if they stuck on any cuts they are doing. Not having any retakes from checkers and animation directors is a rare occasion.

What's this discussion even about? The animation isn't bad, it's just missing half of the frames. It's obviously a money issue not a skill issue.

Before replying to my post, please read at least the first 10 posts in this thread. I am just responding to a weeb who thinks he knows anything about animation production.

Didn't Superman play football sometime in his youth? Corn-fed farmboy from Kansas and all that. I can see why he'd be big.

You meant last ten posts right? That discussion only happened later.

I get that there isn't as much money to be made from these animated movies compared to live-action, but you'd think this movie would sell at least a little better considering the source material and cast, so why on earth didn't they put more money into this thing?

Anyway, who knows, maybe this is still in deep in development and the product will be at least a little better looking. That's what I hope.

Honestly not even the problem. Even American theatrical animation used to be better -- Looney Tunes, Fleischer, Disney, etc. Not the episodes/movies themselves, but the quality overall.

No, I am telling you to disregard all the anime bullshit because it is irrelevant to the thread at all.

And
>It's obviously a money issue not a skill issue.
is true.

> this is considered good animation

Try again

> yfw when a slice of life anime has better animation than the entirety of western TV cartoons

youtube.com/watch?v=l2ICLtVtEC4

ITT: Bruce Timm. What went wrong?

youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY
This is so much better!