Sonic: Mega Drive Storytime

Hey there Sup Forums. Yesterday this particular comic came in the mail for me. With that said I've taken the liberty of scanning the pages to this comic myself, that way we can storytime this much earlier before the rips come around.

I tried my best to make them as high quality as I could. They may still be a bit rough around the edges, but they're still readable.

With that said, Happy 25th Anniversary Sonic, and Welcome to "Sonic: Mega Drive."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t4uifKu6dRg
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BLudtv81o
youtube.com/watch?v=m6oRlEtFafs
youtube.com/watch?v=GM8h2Xyis9M
youtube.com/watch?v=Uoe141rQDa8
youtube.com/watch?v=-6fHqfdd38g
youtube.com/watch?v=ZK82EmKzXEk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And now some music to set the tone
youtube.com/watch?v=t4uifKu6dRg

You choose what music can fit these zones, cause all of them, while looking similar are "brand new"

Yes I know they used a meme. Don't make such a big deal about it.

And now I'd like to take this time to applaud the artwork in this comic.

And there's "Mr.Pingas" himself.

Onwards, to the next zone!

Flower Park!

Home to Flower Badniks and Spring Flowers.

And look at that!.......A Gardener-Themed Sub-Boss!

Oh and Amy too.

Can I just say something?

Classic Amy in this comic is Cute! CUTE!

Since this story does take place after Sonic 3 &....you know who, this would technically be the first time Amy has shown Sonic her new "ability"

Since I didn't get to post it during the first encounter, here ya go.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BLudtv81o

And with that boss out of the way, ADVENTURE HO!

Welcome to Cascade Temple

AKA: Every fucking water level in Sonic history.

Thanks OP

I choose this music for all of it
youtube.com/watch?v=m6oRlEtFafs

KNUCK KNUCK IT'S KNOCKLES

How could I forget to also add this?
youtube.com/watch?v=GM8h2Xyis9M

Also Knux can't doodle for shit.

Pure Reaction Image Fodder for you guys.

>I don't think it CAN be shattered.

Oh if only they knew what their future would hold.

>Amy's little smile on the first two panels.

It's the little things.

>Friendly Rival Acquired!

And with this zone's boss defeated, we have now completed Act 1 of "Sonic Mega Drive"!

youtube.com/watch?v=Uoe141rQDa8

And now for some extra bonuses!

>Last three panels
Brilliant.

And we have a Classic Themed Off-Panel.

Was Game Shark never trademarked?

Well now that the storytime is over, I guess this is an Archie Sonic/Mega Drive Discussion thread now.

I leave you now with the last page, which also acts as a teaser for what lies ahead in Act 2 AKA "Mega Drive: The Next Level"

youtube.com/watch?v=-6fHqfdd38g

This comic reminds me of the movie. Not that it's a bad thing. Tyson Hesse does it again.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZK82EmKzXEk

>forgetting about knuckles chaotix
Tiss tiss~

>mfw this entire issue
They're all too damn cute. I want to hug them all.

THIS FUCKING ART WORK, MY ACTUAL DICK! IT CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH. WHY ISN'T THERE AN ANIMATED IN THIS EXACT SSTYLE, FUCK.

The genie says "Best I can do", and Sonic 3 & Knuckles was better than Chaotix.

It's so old, though, that I don't even think it's that much of a problem.

God this artwork looks so damn good. The style is just perfect.

Honestly it just makes me sad that this is no longer the official style for the games anymore. It feels so much more vibrant like this.

Maybe when Sonic gets yet ANOTHER reboot they'll go back to this. Here's hoping.

That's how it ends? Wow, if they hadn't already announced a second issue that would have been a real dick move.

Fun though. I'd kill for an ongoing in this art style.

I couldn't help it. It was too reaction worthy.

>FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Wow that was really, really good. Nailed the cheeky old style of the Mega Drive games really well. Can't wait for the next issue.

Made a better version with the digital pages.

I think what works about it is that it kinda proves how the Sonic CD style has a lot of potential for expressions and slapstick. They are so simplistic that you can easily forgive the 'single eye two pupils' design some of the characters have, and they can be exaggerated without feeling out of place.

Knuckles for example felt just fine with all of his wacky expressions despite heavy exaggeration.

There's going to be four issues so they can put them all in a trade when it's done. They're just rusing us.

I personally think simplistic pupil eyes are better at emoting then more detailed ones.

Sonic Team going back to that bright and colorful Sonic CD style aesthetic is one of my big dreams with the franchise, but they won't.

>Next issue in god damn November

Yeah, that sounds like something Archie would do...

>Having to wait till November
Yeah I know that feeling bro.

Oh it is. Sonic just works better with simplicity. Keep him simple but allow his expressions to be more out there and we'd have a great Sonic design.

Anyone know where to find .zip or cbr of Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia? Neither SonicScanf nor TKA have it.

I guess basically like the Classic Sonic model in Generations then?

Basically

>nor TKA have it
You didn't look hard enough.

Didn't the company that made the Game Shark go bust? Or am I thinking of Game Genie?

Ooops, my bad. For some reason it wasn't showing up on my side.

Galoob made the Genie. They were bought out by Hasbro.

The Gameshark is owned by Mad Catz now, but they seem to have retired it.

Good to see Hei-Ho found work after the Death Egg got axed.

>all this Amy being cute
It's nice to imagine how many times Boco cut himself while reading this issue.

Har har.

Why you so tsun-tsun, Boco~?

tyson hesse is the best, i really want to buy this and i´m not even a sonic fan, the style of classic sonic is awesome and it´s nice to see some classic sega recognition

Shaddap.

I'm enjoying the art style too much to care. Just this once.

Classic 80s/90s Sega was always best Sega.

my nigga
someday i want to draw an official panzer dragoon or streets of rage comic for sega

Hey, you never know. Extraordinary things can happen if you believe in yourself.

There's something I really love about how they drew Robotnik with one leg out of the machine while attacking, it's a nice touch.

It was back when everything they did was interestingly experimental and all their games were colorful and full of life. The alternate timeline where the Saturn and Dreamcast were commercially successful must be a great place.

Just take a moment and a step backwards and compare this art style, to say, sonic booms. It makes you realise how cancerous sonic booms designs are and how you truly just don't fuck with perfection, christ sega, fix your shit.

>Fun though. I'd kill for an ongoing in this art style.
Wish granted. It will replace Sonic Universe.

Eh, Boom worked fine outside of the games, though.

I hate everything about Sonic Boom. Just, hate it.

Good!

My brother.

>Next issue in god damn November
What, why, who, ho-
>Archie
Ah

Not like Universe has been that good since the book rebooted anyway.

>Tyson drew this

>He also drew pic related

This is really making me want to replay the old Sonic games.

Or Sonic 4 Ep 1 and 2.

Or some ROM hacks.

I was thinking some of the reaction shots looked familiar. Good job on him.

I want to FUCK Amy!

Wow that Sonic at the bottom is straight lifted from the Sonic CD opening. That's neat.

That's actually not a bad idea for a boss, it'd be like the start of the Labyrinth Zone boss but reversed, run away until you can reach the end where he destroys himself.

CD kinda did something like that. The Crystal Quartz boss, if I recall.

Holy shit, a sonic comic I liked

>Capsule only has animals that swim

Nice touch

THIS is the sonic I love. None of that relationship drama garbage or filled with filler characters.

Should the main comic and Universe be cancelled and replaced with this?

I would be completely happy with that.

I'm buying three copies of this comic to support it.

I'd be alright with that. But more likely, they'd can Universe for it and condense Universe's side stories into backups for the main comic.

Why would they can Universe? This wouldn't be the first time that 3 Sonic books were running at the exact same time. Only reason Boom got cancelled is because the higher ups went full retard

No, that's retarded.

I'd like this as a quarterly side series, but in addition to what we already have.

>Only reason Boom got cancelled is because the higher ups went full retard
And you think they won't again?

The comic hasn't had relationship drama since the reboot.

>Not taking into account the Egg Bosses

That's a tough call.....

The egg bosses did nothing for me, neither did the pre-reboot batch either.

Wait, that small series of comics was made by the guy who made this?

That's....... incredibly awesome.

Wasn't the same pretty much in older games? Animals released from the capsules would correspond to the area they're in.

No, that's be retarded as all hell.

Yeah basically. Penguins and seals in ice levels etc.

No. I love classic Sonic, but man, am I tired of people foaming at the mouths for it. Barring postReboot as a whole, the way the main comics have always been fine, at least for me, and it'd be stupid to get rid of them with how much they bring in.

i always hear the oh great A WALL part with that fandub voice

Note, "always been fine" is a blatant exaggeration, obviously it has had MAJOR rough patches, and just horrible decisions, but still.
It just annoys me how people rave over classic and moan over everything the comics do, even when it gets pretty cool, at times.

yeah the comics have some really good runs, as long as we have more artists like tyson hesse and less like ken penders everything´s good

By sheer coincidence, I happen to have replayed Sonic CD very recently, actually.

Now that you mention it, that was pretty similar, you were just in place the entire time so it isn't immediately evident that the two are comparable. While they could be a touch on the easy side, Sonic CD deserves some serious credit for their unorthodox bosses that required more out-of-the-box thinking to defeat.