FDA Approves GMO Mosquito to Fight Zika

cnn.com/2016/08/05/health/fda-approve-gmo-mosquito-zika-florida/
>After months of reviewing public comments to its draft environmental impact study, the Food and Drug Administration announced today that it is officially giving OX513A, a genetically modified male mosquito developed by British company, Oxitec, a clean bill of health. The decision gives the federal green light for the use of the mosquito in a field trial this fall in a small Florida neighborhood.

>OX513A is a male Aedes aegypti mosquito, the primary species that carries the Zika virus. He is genetically engineered to pass along a lethal gene to wild females that makes the females' offspring die. The gene creates a protein that interferes with cell activity, killing the mosquito before it can reach adulthood.

>The field trial in Key Haven, Florida, is designed to test how well OX513A controls the local population of Aedes aegypti. Key Haven is a small community of about 475 homes on Raccoon Key, about a mile east of the island of Key West.

>Oxitec says it expects the same results it has had in field trials in Brazil, Panama and the Cayman Islands. "Our studies show we can reduce the Aedes aegypti population by 90% over six months and keep it there by releasing small numbers of males after that," Parry said. "And that is very cost-effective compared to pesticides."

If you could use Science to eradicate all mosquitoes on earth, would you?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html
scientificamerican.com/article/gene-drive-mosquitoes-engineered-to-fight-malaria/
pri.org/stories/2016-04-04/why-famous-biologist-wants-eradicate-killer-mosquitoes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Big_Buzz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_May_Day
mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-ecosystem.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_consequences
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sure, how long until they genetically modify a black male so all of his offspring die before adulthood.

neat

>implying virus doesn't mutates

Isn't this how zika became a problem?

Would there be any adverse effects if mosquitoes were completely (close to) eradicated?

>Zika
Tbqh no one has made it a big thing, so no one should really care tbqh.

#MosquitoeLivesMatter
#NoJusticeNoPeace

Absolutely. Other species always suffer when a biche is removed. Only female mosquitoes drink blood. And both male and females will feed on the nectar of flowers, pollinating them. Less robust flowers need smaller insects like mosquitoes to visit them.

There is surprisingly little sympathy for mosquitoes in from an ecological POV within the scientific community.
nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html
scientificamerican.com/article/gene-drive-mosquitoes-engineered-to-fight-malaria/
pri.org/stories/2016-04-04/why-famous-biologist-wants-eradicate-killer-mosquitoes

They are truly a pest.

what a fucking terrible idea. now this is only going to create a bigger problem when there's a group of female mosquitoes resistant to the effects of the GMO mosquito.

Maybe, since zika virus is related to yellow fever and that was one of very experimental viruses by USA, spread among population, they even used the same mosquito type Aedes aegypti as Zika is spread by.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Big_Buzz
>Operation Big Buzz occurred in May 1955 in the U.S. State of Georgia. The operation was a field test designed to determine the feasibility of producing, storing, loading into munitions, and dispersing from aircraft the yellow fever mosquito (though these were not infected for the test) (Aedes aegypti).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_May_Day
>Operation May Day involved a series of EW tests from April to November 1956. The tests were designed to reveal information about the dispersal of yellow fever mosquitoes in an urban area.

Get ready for more autoimmune diseases a transsexuals.

Fucking finally! I've been prepping for a zombie apocalypse for years.

Oh hey, what if the mosquitoes just end up as a delivery system for this baby-killing protein?

I did not read the article.

How would you feel your offspring would just drop dead before reaching adulthood, jsut like all those black kids ;__;

Isn't that already the case?

Thanks bros.

Releasing genetic mutants on Raccoon Key, what could go wrong?

Reminded me of this.

>Slovenia
It's killing the mosquitos, you dolt. not the virus

Now, as things are, the offspring survives, and the black male disappears.

>eradicate all mosquitoes on earth

No.
Mosquitoes are nuisance, but they are necessary.

I see absolutely zero possibilities for this to go wrong in any way. Scientists fully understand everything about science after all. I fully trust them with the fate of humanity. Yep.

I fucking despise mosquitoes with a passion, but I'd rather have them exist in countries in like Africa and the like to spread disease and thin out the population

>Raccoon Key

I have a beed feel about this

>USA
When did you ever create anything and not destroy 3 times more?
ZIka my ass, you are importing people into USA and Europe, so then there we don't think about Zika?
>Americans and fighting against diseases
You are the most sick people on the planet and on top of that not even poor, how did you get so retarded?

>Genetically modifying an insect vector to kill off the native population in order to prevent the spread of a major disease afflicting children

Haven't seen that movie in a coon's age, thanks for reminding me.

And then the mosquito passes the gene onto humans.

We are talking about mosquito killing genes, not viruses.

>Zika is caused by a GMO
>use a GMO to fight it
A cunning plan, fit for Baldrick.

It's time to stand up, run to the microwave, make some popcorn and stretch those legs.

I guess i'm not the only one who is gonna watch that again now, thanks for the reminder aswell user.

Malaria 2. Is it as good as the original? No

Virus mutates and then your vaccine is useless. Virus can jump species, it can stay low for a while. Zika is around for 80 years. What's really creating diseases is globalism and capitalism. Americans and Jews will never save the world, after all you created the most wars. I don't believe this is a vaccine, this is a trigger for more disease. People that got vaccinated against all kinds of historic flues were the ones catching it.

>Zika is caused by a GMO
compelled me to ruminate

this is only the beginning. we'll soon be knocking out all bacteria and viruses we don't want on the planet

Why don't they just ship all these mosquitoes to south America and Africa? Then put up an unrealistic amount of bug zappers in the southern states of the U.S.?

That would alleviate several problems all at the same time!

Isn't this how you make zombies?

Hmmmm. If only we had a way to combat mosquitos without harming humans before now.

Don't Doubt That they tried to eradicate mosquitos before

It's on the tip of my tongue, it Doesn't Destroy Things or wildlife like the government said it would.

Don't believe the Doubters That say otherwise.

Hmmmm.

If I could only put that 3 letter relatively safe mosquito killer together.

Oh well, I guess africa having malaria isn't that bad, right world governments?

>>>Zika caused by GMO

I absolutely would. I used to think "if they exist, they must have a purpose" but the little plant pollination they do isn't worth the diseases that plague like half of humankind and probably other animals too. If you're a plant reliant on mosquitos to reproduce, you dun goofed and you deserve to die

Boy this sure worked great when they tried it with Honey Bees.

Repeating digits says this creates an even worse problem.

And how exactly is this going to happen?

I'm always confused when people thing that genes can somehow jump into humans from food or other stuff.

What mechanism of gene transfer are you basing this on? What are burgers taught in school?

Its not a vaccine its a pesticide.

>thing
think

Don't some birds rely on mosquitos, like purple martins or something?

They were trying to improve bees. Destroying is always easier than creating, which is why the a-bomb was invented much earlier than nuclear power.

This is great. Also, this isn't a virus. It is a genetic mutation in the mosquitos.

I think that if we focused on killing the most harmful species of mosquitos, we would save a lot of lives and also not do too much ecological damage.

Why are people so worried about fucking with nature?
Species come and go, some bird and plant species going away isn't going to matter in the long run..

Nature doesn't care, and neither should we..

It isn't a vaccine or a pesticide, it is a genetic mutation.

literally cucked to death

Bring back DDT.

>GMO mosquitos

Well that's a hard sell right off the bat. I'd be stupid to say no.

And thus the zombie apocalypse begins.

>implying genes from things you eat can somehow mutate your genes in a way that turns you into a zombie

"Genetics."

We don't want to go full retard like the Chinese and kill off a bunch of animals that actually did help maintain our food supply.

I don't get these arguments..

How exactly are the mosquitoes, the plants that are pollinated by mosquitoes and insect eating birds helping to maintain our food supply?

Don't they teach about the food chain in Scotland anymore?

>We can't get the goyim to come in for our (((medicine)))

>Let's make flying hypodermic needles that can multiply and carry whatever diseas- (((medicine))) we like.

My food chain goes from industrially farmed corn/wheat to factory farmed pigs to me.

Where exactly does the mosquito factor in?

yes

Fish eat mosquitoes

Maybe you've heard of them

This is how the zombies start

The farmed salmon that I eat, do not eat mosquitoes.
They eat GMO corn and soy.

Again, I'm asking how does the mosquito affect MY food supply.

>plants that are pollinated by mosquitoes

Plants are mostly pollinated by bees. Mosquitoes play a very small part in that function.

mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-ecosystem.html

>lol why would i care about other people's food
Nice goalpost moving

>our food supply

I am aware of that..
I was responding to this guy's argument

>Less robust flowers need smaller insects like mosquitoes to visit them.

?
By 'me', 'our' and ' MY food supply' I mean humans in the west where is is being done.

Not the other wildlife or regions where the people might rely on wild caught fish that eat mosquitoes..

Please do enlighten me on how many people in the united states depend upon fish that feed on mosquitoes?

All mosquitoes lay their eggs in water, if we had the ability to track them all down to investigate how many fish eat them we wouldn't be having problems with moquito-borne diseases.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_consequences

I understand your point.

Did you know that we have observed in female fruitflies that they permanently carry the genes of all their past sexual partners? This test has not been done on humans yet. The implications guarantee resistance from jewish and feminist groups.

>zika hardly changes the world
>lets make superaids

Based Bill Gates. Why are rich people so nice, lads?

Dumbass. The virus in the GMO mosquitos could mutate . .

dunning kruger right here for everyone to see

>>OX513A is a male Aedes aegypti mosquito, the primary species that carries the Zika virus. He is genetically engineered to pass along a lethal gene to wild females that makes the females' offspring die. The gene creates a protein that interferes with cell activity, killing the mosquito before it can reach adulthood.
GENIUS
>We'll make a breed of mosquitoes that by definition can't pass on their genes, and release them forever because they only live for 2 weeks
All that will happen is the population will dip for a while but then natural selection will favour the females that aren't attracted to the immigrant mosquitoes and their numbers will easily recover.