Daily Japanese Thread #1957.5

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread(s)
DJTは個々人の心に生き続けるので、永遠に死なない。
そして、不死鳥のようにまた灰から蘇る。

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnasXUtcM-w
lance2.net/chigai-3/z0156.html
blog.metrolingua.com/2009/04/supposedly-delicate-topics-especially.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Thread died three times in a row without hitting bump limit
dead

>go read
>DJT dies multiple times

rip in peace DJT. I will never learn Japanese.

DJTが恋しい

I keep seeing だけ [only] where you don't expect it in English. Why is it like that?

any examples?

What do you think of LingoDeer? Been trying it for two days now and it feels kinda slow, but it is thorough (not like DuoLingo).

How do I say: "Please tell us something sweet about Nana."

I avoid any new brands that use animals as their wow factor.
LINGODEER IS A SMUG DEER THAT TEACHES YOU LANGUAGE!
LE TUNNEL BEAR HIDE YOUR ##PRIVACY SO YOU CAN HAZ CHIZBURGER xDD
USE BROWNFISH TO SWIM THROUGH THE BEST SCAT COMMUNITIES AND FIND A PERFECT FISHYFISHY FOR YOU!

>本当に失礼しちゃうねんねしな
I get 本当に失礼しちゃう.

But what is ねんねしな?

you have a rather strong opinion on something like this

>ねんね
>1. bed-time (for a baby); going bye-byes
>2. baby
>3. childish person (esp. a young woman)

an example sentence from weblio
>坊やはいい子だねんねしな.
>Sleep, baby, sleep.

Makes sense.

Thanks!

maybe we should expand the scope of DJT and encourage anime, manga, jdrama discussions and other stuff that isn't technically /jp/ related

why is it:
>十日
>とおか

>八日
>ようか

These are pronounced identically yes? Or is 八日 just one long ooooo, and 十日 two separate "o" sounds?

Any good J-dramas where the language used isn't too difficult? I guess it depends on your view of "difficult" but I'm at about N3/N2 level if that helps. I'm watching 日本人の知らない日本語 just now and it's not *too* bad but I've had to look up a lot of the casual speech that I'm not used to seeing (and the acting is a bit much in parts).

after the t and y i mean....

fuck it i dont even care

Yeah, sorry, only realized it after I posted.
But no, there's no difference between the vowel sounds. おう = おお. Notice that it's only お that gets lengthened by う this way.

>The character う is also used, in its full-sized form, to lengthen "o" sounds. For example, the word 構想 is written in hiragana as こうそう (kousou), pronounced kōsō. In a few words the character お (o) is used instead for morphological or historical reasons.

We already do discuss stuff like that when we feel like it, because our mods aren't assholes and we don't have gatekeeping retards reporting every post they disagree with.

I'm tired of companies thinking they are my friends.
NO ONE can be my friend.

What does this say?
私の家でないかと思われる写真が町編集の写真集に載っているので確かめ正しかったら送ります。
The context is - I was asking for a photo of the old man's former house. But he doesn't have any. So I suppose this means "I'll see if the issue of the town's photo book contains any such photo. I'll send you a copy if it does."
Correct?

I believe so, but sounds to me like he'll ask around for people who have these pictures.

I think that's close to the correct interpretation. でないか kind of has a slightly negative nuance here I feel (compared to ではないか).
「私の家でないかと思われる」, "It doesn't look to be my house (but... )", it's leaning towards more it not being the case while still doubtful on it. Makes sense with 「確かめ正しかったら」 that follows anyways.

>私の家でないかと思われる写真が
A picture that makes me think couldn't that be my house
>町編集の写真集に載っているので
appears in the town's photoalbum
>確かめ正しかったら送ります
~after I/if it's checked and confirmed, I'll send it to you

Thks

I was thinking more like encouraging non-japanese learners to come here by luring them in with animu etc., but I guess that wouldn't work

Well, WHAT HAVE Y'ALL BEEN WATCHING?

Lately. I've just been のんびりly reading a SoL mango here and there about little girls learning to use magic for helping their village with daily life.

The art is amateurish and the characters unidimensional, you see all the jokes coming and there isn't much magic at all. Just like how it's supposed to be!

>encouraging non-japanese learners to come here
Why?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnasXUtcM-w

I don't wanna Japanese anymore.

basically emulating an Sup Forums setting, cultivating 後輩
I swear to god, once I stop being a neet this thread will just stop existing on Sup Forums all together eventually

自業自得

you mean that they got kicked from Sup Forums or what?

I only come here since it's on Sup Forums

Nothing for a few weeks until today. Popteamepic was hilarious, finally a shit anime that makes clear how shit (most) anime is.

These are pronounced differently. と=to, and よ=yo. Both have long O sounds. Also, I don't think there is a case in Japanese where you pronounce the same vowel twice. It's always an extension of the vowel (don't quote me on this though, I'm only like 700 words into anki)

Do you use any sort of advanced apparatuses to keep DJT alive?
Sometimes I create it instead of you but it always dies because I forget to check if for an hour or so and it's too late.

where do I get light novel recommendations?

no, just a neet with nothing better to do
sometimes I forget it too though

nwm
I just realized I'm nowhere on a level to read light novels

I've been doing these for a few days now, and vocabulary is pretty easy, I know almost all the words.

But, as I feared, grammar is a wreck. I can only understand the simplest of constructs. "考えていかなければなりません" had me just blankly staring.

so what do you do when you've done your anki reps?

>find random japanese chatroom for idols
>say "hello from ireland" using google translate
>japs get triggered as fuck saying "don't pay attention to the foreigner there are lots here"
>whittu piggu go homu?

maybe you could start with one that has an anime adaptation that you know well

Read. Don't tell me you're not already doing this user? Doing it every day is just as important, if not moreso, than your reps.

anki is just the supplement to learning, don't become an anki drone

I skipped anki and went straight to anime

the only I see is DJT library is konosuba
but it's kind of boring when I know what will happen
I give up after 5 minutes
haha don't be silly user
of course I do
I read the sentences on my anki cards

Reading is for autistic dweebs.

Not everyone has the time (or is insane enough) to watch that many anime series.

How many are we talking here?

funland here wants to make you think he learned anime by only watching anime, which is bullshit

I think he'd seen more than 5000 or so.

I mean, sure, it's Finland, nothing much to do other than boil yourself in a sauna and drink, but that just can't be healthy.

I passed N1 by watching anime.

Just jump into one. Starting too early is better than starting too late. Kino no Tabi is good.

Would you say you're... indebted to anime?

極楽極楽

So I found this, claiming that if you learn these basic grammar points, you'll have an easier time learning.

So how would you go about doing these?
>1. リンゴは赤いです
>2. ジョンのリンゴです
>3. 俺がジョンにリンゴをくれる
>4. 俺たちは彼にリンゴをくれる
>5. 彼はジョンにくれて
>6. 彼女は彼にくれて
>7. リンゴは赤いですか
>8. リンゴはあかいです
>9. 俺は彼にそれをくれなくちゃ
>10. 俺は彼女にそれをくれたい
>11. 明日は知る
>12. リンゴを食べられない
I can't into Japanese.

stop doing this nonsense all together
it teaches you little and enforces the wrong notion that you always must find a grammatical counterpart to japanese in your own language

Yea
To point out the blatant errors, however: read up on the difference between あげる and くれる. I also don't know why you're using the te-form in 5. and 6. Is it because you're interpreting "gives" as the progressive form? That's wrong in either case, because it should be ている then. But again, like german-kun said, you'll fuck your shit up doing this. Pick up a grammar book.

Does this sentence make sense?
>私は千日本語の言葉を知ります。

How would you lads write it? Also, what can I throw before 千 to say approximately 1000 instead of flat out 1000?

iyayaya

私は一千くらいの日本語単が知ります

What's the difference between 温度 and 気温?

I think this is a nice explanation: lance2.net/chigai-3/z0156.html
If you don't want to read it, 気温 is a subcategory of 温度 representing atmospheric temperature.
温度:気温、水温、体温

I'm only at a bit over 2000 anime watched

Speaking of anime, which of these anime should I watch next?

Did you really learn Japanese or did you just stab someone who was Japanese and steal his ID?

日本語の勉強を続ける理由を一つください

Having questionned him in the past, I don't doubt that he's fairly decent in the language. I do doubt his claim that he learn solely through anime. He's simply downplaying how much time he put in other resources (grammar guides, vocab lists, etc.) in order to make it seem like a more amazing accomplishment than what it really was. You can't learn how to recognize/read/type kanji simply by watching anime, no matter how many hours you put in. It does help for learning the language though, that I won't doubt either.

I ate the brain of a Japanese anime otaku and gained his memories, including his Japanese skills and the memories of all the anime he watched

I went from anime to learning hiragana to chatting with natives to watching some Japanese TV shows and youtube. I also did core2k 2 years ago but I knew 99% of the words already, just learnt a bunch of kanji. I haven't read any grammar guides

It's been around 6 years since I learnt hiragana and like 13 years since I watched my first anime

>just learnt a bunch of kanji.
How though? You never elaborated on how you're able to read having barely had any exposition to kanji besides your short time on core2k.

When chatting with natives I typed shit and hit space and saw the kanji constantly that way and obviously the Japanese chatting with me used kanji so I threw it into google translate to get the readings, didn't have rikai back then. I never studied katakana properly either, learnt it the same way I learnt a lot of kanji, just seeing it used a lot and having to read it. My kanji knowledge is pretty weak though, I don't read much and rikai has made looking up kanji readings too easy so I hardly even look at them

Sounds tedious, but as long as you got to where you were going, I won't fault you for going about it that way.

Well it's not like I was planning on learning Japanese, it just happened as a part of doing what I enjoyed doing. If I got really hooked into reading a lot I would probably end up learning kanji that way

>If I got really hooked into reading a lot I would probably end up learning kanji that way
Yeah I get that, but your case is a lot rarer in these parts, which is why I'm more interested in hearing about your process, since it's important for beginners to know how flexible learning a language can be, and how different techniques can suit different people.

So, you know those mimetic adverbs that take the と particle like ぼんやり, しっかり, etc.? Do the ones like ちらっと, ぼーっと, きちっと, etc., that end in っと already have that と built into them? If so, is there a reason why they're 2 (3?) mora instead of 3 (4?)?

Finland senpai, how much anime should i watch a day?

What is か doing in this sentence? Can't find anything on it

どう変わるか = how will it change?
調べました = searched/checked/etc
They searched for how it will change.

Another example of this type of sentence:
何すればいいか分かってるよ =
I know what I should do!

Essentially you are doing the verb at the end to get the answer to the question. In this example I already know it.

thank you so much! I dind't even know that sentences could have verbs in the middle of them up until I really started reading because shitkim's guide to ass says that's impossible in the first few pages, so I have trouble understanding easy stuff like this sometimes. That makes perfect sense though

For the JLPT do you need to differentiate from on yomi and kun yomi, or is it enough to be able to read them correctly in a word?

Would 「セックスしたことある?」translate correctly as "Have you had sex before?"

My grammar is awful and the ことある is unfamiliar to me.

I believe ''Did you have sex?'' would be more suitable without context, but I'm a moron so don't take my reply too seriously.

>セックス
As much as I like jap lingo, I hate seeing this borrowed shit being used. Don't they have native words for it?!
It's not like they never had sex before WWII

>Sex
Why did Anglos take that word from Middle French in the 16th century. Don't they have native words for it?!
It's not like they never had sex before the Eighty Years' War

性行為
まぐわい
営み
絡み
契り
These are what I remembered at the top of my head, I'd imagine セックス sounds more exotic to them, but I'm sure there's some history as to why its used more than others.

おはよう
皆がんばろうね

I know what the individual words mean
but I'm not sure what it means
What does it mean?

What do you mean, somehow? It's because blah-blah-blah.

I think I got it
Thanks

Don't quote me on this, but I think the (geographic) distance of loan words (i.e. their "exoticness") is part of the reason. It creates distance between the speaker and the word (thus avoiding "contamination"), both in a euphemistic and dysphemistic way.

This blog says it better:

blog.metrolingua.com/2009/04/supposedly-delicate-topics-especially.html

Hiragana and katakana shouldn't exist

the japanese language should just use kanji for everything

ここで心の無い日本人が囁く

Learning Kangxi radicals before Kanji study, yes/but/no?

これまでかけた時間を捨ててしまわなくちゃ

Go learn chinese.

ALRI MY CHINKS

For the same reason memelords have to keep calling it fucc and succ, you euphemize the whole situation by giving it a nickname or even being post-ironic.

That reminds me of Excel Saga's OP, the lyrics said:
"ケツは愛じゃない"
And fansubs translated this as "Sex is not love".

Is this accurate? Using dictionaries, either ケツ refers to asshole or to 決 and the translation is completely off.

Absolutely yes, they are only 200 and if you learn all of them by stroke order, you already have the ingredients to draw pretty much any kanji. Will help you visually separate clusterfucks like no other.

>"Have you had sex before?"
correct

I think they'd phrase it diferently then, the ことある construction usually asks if something ever happened/someone ever did something

私はだいたい一千語(いっせんご)ぐらいの日本語の単語を知っています。