Remember when Megatron was a giant floating head?

Remember when Megatron was a giant floating head?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FT-LJ6W6qcQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess I do.

Pepperidge farms remembers

technically he wasn't really in there, it was a decoy
remember when brainiac did the exact same goddamn thing?

I never understand how he spread the virus. Meg created it?

>remember when brainiac did the exact same goddamn thing?

Continuously, for a couple decades?

I love and hate Beast Machines.

I seriously don't know what to think of it.

I want to fuck that plant.

I think we can agree that the ending sucked ass. Turning Cybertron organic fucks up the whole concept of what made the place different from Earth.

And turning Rhinox evil was bullshit.

Beast Wars had better characters.

Turning Rhinox evil was a good plot twist.

Making Thrust be Waspinator was bullshit. In Beast War he had an unexpected development as a character and left the Predacons and evil.

I respect that people don't like the ending but I don't understand why it's still such a sore spot for people. Maybe it was a big deal at the time but how many TF shows have there been since? And not a single instance of organic Cybertron to be found anywhere. It didn't do any lasting damage to the brand or the concept so it didn't ruin anything. Even G1 which it shares a loose continuity with has been revisited In the years since so it's not like it ruined that either. I think the notion that a later show can somehow retroactively ruin a prior one is absurd but it's a sentiment I see fairly often

I think people just hate the ending and BM in general cause it's so different from what they're used to. But that's precisely why I love the Beast shows in the first place. And even compared to BW BM is pretty damn unique. The concept and ending was ballsy as fuck. Not as good as BW but well worth a watch.

>Turning Rhinox evil was a good plot twist.
It was not.
>Stop Rattrap! Don't reboot Rhinox! He has to choose to become good again, even though his very soul is being constantly assaulted by Megatron's programming!
It didn't even have any payoff. They show him evil for a few episodes and they kill him off unceremoniously.
>Hey Optimus, I'm dead now, sorry about everything.

They should have had Rhinox appear at least once after his death to guide Optimus in some way.

One of the main reasons is it turned a happy, uplifting and fun ending that felt like the end of along journey that finally came to a satisfying conclusion, then continued it and implied shit went absolutely horrible for almost everyone, the whole main goal of the first series was never reached(getting back to Cybertron and going back to the home they left, since it's now so wildly different it's not remotely the same and none of the past formers they knew are even there), the main hero and villai is killed off again, for real this time, and it lost so much of what made the first series great.

A bad sequel ending is most times worse than a bad reboot or new universe, because this one is saying "Hey, remember all those guys you grew to love over the series? Remember all the trials, the struggled, the fights and real tangible loss they experienced just to get home? Well... whoops!"

If it had been a reboot that kept the names, not half the people would have complained, and it would be treated the same as Robots in Disguise. Weird, but hey, they're their own thing, not backtracking over a satisfying conclusion to a great show.

So basically you're upset because it differed from whatever expectations you built up in your mind and therefore RUINED BEAST WARS FOREVER. Way to prove my point.

As a kid at the time I don't recall being upset about "backtracking the happy ending of Beast Wars." I just thought it was a fascinating new chapter that took some really bizarre and interesting turns. It was unlike anything that came before or after. I guess I've just never taken fictional universes and "canon" as seriously as some people.

Anyway isn't there a built-in "canon" explanation to satisfy this kind of autism? Just pretend it's a different universe where the same events happened or whatever. BM existing as a continuation in no way invalidates the BW any more than BW existing as continuation invalidates G1. I swear the TF community has been running in circles for decades.

eh? no i mean when he made a big giant brainiac head-ship and sent it blasting off as a decoy

I'm just gonna say it
the number one thing it did wrong that I can't look past, that makes the rest irrelevant by comparison? The magical transformations.
RULE FUCKING ONE is your robots have to at least look like they could plausibly do what they're doing. an audience will accept that a segmented tentacle thing can extend out longer than it logically should be able to, or the various cheats beast wars did like having rattrap's unfolded body form a smaller backpack than it should be able to, but at least you have to TRY
you don't just have them glow and have body parts pour out of them. not unless it's meant to be straight up fucking magic, and even then that's kind of gay. why bother even being robots then? the POINT of robots is 'ooh these are kind of living toys. they're hard and they have moving hinged joints, and their bodies can fold up and do a lot of interesting things'
it was risky enough encasing them in flesh (some of the expanded universe explicitly ties this to Pretenders, which is stupid in its own way), but damn if they didnt pull that off with only a few hitches here or there. but fucking magical transformations where each form is irrelevant to the other are UNACCEPTABLE. plus they made designing the toys a nightmare.

I used to hate that but I feel like it was for the better, allowing each form to look its best. The transformations in Beast Machines were already pretty magical in that there were a lot of growing and shrinking parts.

All in all, Beast Machines had a load of interesting ideas but the end result was lacking so I can't tell if the ideas were bad all along or it was just bad execution.

Jetstorm had great one liners though.

>Dan DiDio (born October 13, 1959) was an executive at Mainframe Entertainment assigned to the Transformers franchise during the third season of Beast Wars. Dan is best known for being the producer who informed Marv Wolfman that Beast Wars had no ties to the original series and to do as he pleased with Generation 1 continuity when outlining Beast Machines, and then instructed Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg to disregard any previous incarnations of the series in writing Beast Machines, as Beast Wars was too "continuity-heavy".[1]

No, that was him. Megatron's body was a huge head that transformed into a spaceship (once).

>allowing each form to look its best.
maybe if it actually did. but they were HORRIBLY ugly. fucking godawful grotesque twisted things
beast machines, along with action man and max steel, were the beginning of the end for cgi in terms of design aesthetics. whereas reboot had managed to capture properly proportioned and appealing human faces (young andrAIa aside), after this (and for decades hence) everything in cgi had to look twisted and gross. equal parts picasso and munich.. and everything and everyone with gross disgusting blue eyes all the time, with heavily detailed irides no matter the rest of the style. it sickens me to this day.

a few of the toys were okay though. blackarachnia's was very clever.

I find it hilarious that Cybertronian descendants literally forgot how to transform because they progressed to a point where a vocal command did it for them. So yeah Megatron was right

Cheeta was the only good character.

That's not exactly fair. This version of transformers transform with a T-cog in the past, activated with a vocal command. By the future of the energy-efficient maximals and predacons, a lot of each cybertronian's functions are controlled via a secondary onboard computer system. Basically the equivalent of their autonomic nervous system except given a voice. They can override it, with difficulty, and it takes over the complex things that no sentient mind is really equipped to handle (things like emotion and judgment get in the way of having concious control over your body, y'know?), plus given the speed at which they speak and think it's clear their brains arent supercomputers, so they need to HAVE a computer built into them to do that shit. also it interfaces with other things, as seen when rattrap changes his faction and it manipulates how he's scanned by security systems.
now don't ask me to explain the 'rhinox gets brainwashed by a machine that 'makes him a predacon' even though predacon is an ANCESTRY and it turns his gold bits silver and makes him evil and nutty' thing...

>Jetstorm had great one liners though.

He was amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=FT-LJ6W6qcQ

and, lest we forget
>All of them lose their transmetal upgraded forms (those who didn't have them got captured. fuzor doesnt count, even though it does make you immune to Vok shit)
>they revert to normal animals, almost on-model but with slight errors. fine, fine. that DNA was still stored on them somewhere, sure
>optimus does too
>except his current body was made out of a sparkless blank protoform with primal's spark put into it, which was then transmetalized somehow, and then permanently mutated by prime's spark's temporary presence (the matrix of leadership seems to have been involved in this, but megatron's does the same, and does something even more outlandish)
a nerdly niggle to be sure, but... c'mon.

oh god he irritated the fuck out of me. basically a second Mike the TV. his robot head had gross little close-set eyes and his vehicle form had a weirdass bendy-straw head on it.
and if you're going to have a robot mode that is just a hovering mass of jet parts, and your vehicle mode has a prehensile neck.. why transform at all? all the vehicons had stupid, uninspired designs. like lifted straight out of a bad extra-flat 00s cartoon like tartakovsky or hartman would draw, then awkwardly made into 3d.

Vehicons were supposed to be utilitarian. Where actual cybertronians were robots capable wearing other forms they were military that had two modes.

I liked Mike. How could you not have loved him in the D&D episode?

>military hardware*

that kind of babyish comedy is embarrassing on british shows, let alone canadian, and certainly unsuited to my red-blooded american tastes in action shows. no thank you.
i dunno maybe it's just that smarmy people piss me off so badly. there was always that one kid in school.. how dare they call him the class clown, I was the one actually PERFORMING. actually trying to open a few minds with some way-out perception-questioning shit.. not just being a smarmass.
it's a miracle, considering what's happened to michelangelo over the years, making him into a braindead fratboy knucklehead that aggressively fucks everyone over, that most other adaptations of the turtles have returned raph to his proper place as the hothead.. because if they continued with what the 88 cartoon did, he would surely have become a similar irritatingly goofy smarmguy

Are you implying Canada has a high standard of comedy? Have you ever watched Just for Laughs?

Really you're just coming off as pretentious.

pretentious! THAT's the word I was trying to think of earlier. Thank you

In this case I'm talking about a very specific TYPE of comedy. the kind that makes my inner kid cringe and not want to be associated with it. for lack of a better term just 'bloopy boopy boo humor'. like a little kid would think that's funny and he'd giggle and smack his palms together without the fingers touching
britain is fucking lousy with it, and it even pervades things meant to sound mature and grown up.. it's in their very lexicon, the way they abbreviate things like chocolate to choccy.. it shows up in neopets a lot and.. ... it's just hard to explain. canada has a bit of it too but not as much.

If you can't enjoy a little bloopity bloo humour I'm sorry, I feel you're missing out.

Remember these are kids shows. A little mindless humour here and there is healthy. helps the mind unwind.

Remember when Megatron wanted a purely mechanical alt mode so he became Optimus even though it has a fucking monkey mode?
Sometimes I feel like I want to become one of those on the spectrum youtubers who do nothing but talk about cartoons so I can go through all the problems Beast Machines has as a sequel and a cartoon on its own right. There's so many bizarre concepts that makes it seem like a hippy wrote it.

>Have you ever watched Just for Laughs?

I remember one prank had the older guy and the younger guy just make out to the point they were grabbing eachother and literally rolling around on the floor. You know "as a prank."

Underrated post.

he looked really stupid like that, sure it was plot-twist, but really now.

All I remember from the show was this one time one of the Deceptions basically made a new female robot and tried to teach it about live. She died trying to trasnform or somethibg, and the Decepticon was broken-hearted. I though it was really sad as a kid.

They should have had him turn into G1 Megatron.

You're thinking of the original Beast Wars but that episode was fantastic. The episode felt so bizarre for a kid's toy commercial show.

That episode was fucked up but in a good way. Silverbolt and Carnage had some good moments.

Man, I could of have sworn she looked better.

>which was then transmetalized somehow
Quantum Wave. All the status pods were affected. Even Quickstrike and Silverbolt had Transmetal properties.

He left the ape mode out. He specfically says this.

Remember how they strapped Megatron to the outside of their ship for giggles.
Remember how everything went to hell at the last second as a direct result of that?

Remember how Blackarachnia was a cute?

ThAT traitorous she-spider? Cute?! PREPOSTEROUS!

Yes, he apparently had this super fucking virus that killed or shuts off all transformers period. Oh and he for some reason came to hate his organic half when he was more then fine with it in beast wars.

look beast machines is fucking stupid pretentious garbage. don't think too much into it, which is hard because it tries so very hard to be DEEP, and you just might might get a few painful chuckles.

That actually would have redeemed a huge chunk of that show.

I think he was just jelly that fusing with his G1 counterpart turned him into a dragon instead of a vehicle like Optimus.

>mad he got turned into a dragon
I used to think he was the coolest Megatron.

Now I just don't know...

You are blinded by nostalgia. Reboot was ugly as sin.

>BEAST MACHINES RAPED MUH CHILDHOOD DAMN HIPPIES

Fuck off Cartman.

yeah it would be better if it was a new show and wasn't a sequel to BW.

>everything new and different is good
heh...

>Carnage

Rampage

This episode i used to hate, now i like it.

Transmutate is still freaky.

Thats Just for Laughs: Gags
A shitty not-really-spinoff series.

Just for Laughs is stage performances filmed at a comedy festival in Montreal.
They edit 2 or 3 performances to fit into a tv time slot.
Usually stand up comedy, but sometimes magic, a dance troupe, or some other thing.
I watched a ton of it years ago when I was in school. It's quality varies wildly.
Sometimes its Penn and Teller or Rowan Atkinson.
Sometimes its female comics talking about periods or a gay dude doing interpretive dance to Shania Twain. yeah......

I'm picturing Optimal Optimus with G1 Meg's head and colors

Certainly the only way to house that ego of his.

I dont think they even established gender in the show

this image is the comic version, which i never knew existed until right now

I wasnt organic it was cyberoganic. That was the whole fucking point.

Beast Machines is the DBGT of the transformers universe