Battlestar galactica tread

so is this series any good?
i just downloaded the mini series and im excited to watch it.

what do you guys think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SlcUwUwjLrs
youtu.be/ylzHr02ApBQ
youtu.be/isbr4V7JoEc
youtu.be/IPUjyjP9qtY
youtube.com/watch?v=O4zlihY2axQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DhNJAVaDl4M
youtube.com/watch?v=y0RPK76gpSw
youtube.com/watch?v=9c2ZJPKz5u8
youtube.com/watch?v=TSta8tcGC78
youtube.com/watch?v=WOnQ8CD3v4g
youtu.be/OGcMPp7TNo4
youtube.com/watch?v=T99blrM1DgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WSYPYq9D_No
youtube.com/watch?v=x8zsE5zdlsQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

its great, dont listen to fucks here, just go and watch it you wont regret it

Its my favorite series of all time, and the last time I ever remember being so hooked on a TV series. I watched it in 2010. 1st season was weak compared to the next few.

>shake
>shake
>ZOOM
this is great, how about we film EVERYTHING like this

It's fucking great.

one of the best of all time

this series was dogshit
none of the characters are like-able they all act and think like total retards
the ending was completely retarded
a cylyon and a human have a daughter together and it turns out that this daughter is our eve because the remnants of the fleet landed on earth and for some reason all the females but "eve" couldnt bare children or some shit

I tried watching it when it was still airing. Couldn't get over how retarded 'frack' sounded so I stopped watching that corny campy ass shit.

I did see all the cool clips on yt, though.

GOAT series, but consider stopping halfway in the fourth season (where the series would have ended if the writer's strike had continued). The latter half is retconning the entire preceding series (with an entire episode of nothing but talking heads exposition) since the show had painted itself into a corner by that point, but what a glorious corner it was.

i really enjoyed it but season 4 was disappointing after the mutiny. finale reminded me of lost's.

GOAT tv soundtrack, though. holy shit.

youtu.be/SlcUwUwjLrs

youtu.be/ylzHr02ApBQ

pleb tier

Starts out great, ends mediocre. Definitely worth a watch, one of the better shows on television in the last decade or however long it's been.

Flawed but brilliant. One of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time.

lost i is a show i need to finish.
i watched some of it when it came out but i was still a kid then and i didn't hold my interest

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

do you like femdom? no, seriously, theres a femdom relationship in the show
its great

the whole show is entertaining but there's a drop off in quality around season 3ish. the final 2 or 3 episodes are fucking awful

best space opera of our time

I honestly hope we get something better in the future one day

Watch the first 2 seasons, then for the love of Cylon angels, STOP.

the best we have right now is the expanse. the acting isn't nearly as good as bsg but the story is pretty good

GOD DID IT

Still really enjoyed it despite the faults and cop-outs. Had some really great moments right up to the end.

pure kino

real talk it's one of my favorite shows of all time

if you like sci-fi and darker stuff, grittier/more "realistic" shit vs flashy sci-fi bullshit like star wars or star trek where they just macgyver technobabble their way out of everything, you will like it; there's some of that in BSG but it's not like it's the solution to every problem or the resolution to every story of the week

the women are sexy as fug, too. i developed a serious thing for starbuck once she grew long hair; tricia helfer as caprica 6 is overrated, but as gina she's hot

there isn't a single character i don't like, besides the worthless nigger doctor, tigh's wife, and callie

i've rewatched the whole series a few times, it's worth it

starbuck honestly repulsed me throughout the whole show. sharon was qt tho

I enjoyed the miniseries the most, the first season was good, second season was ok, third onwards was shit. It had a great premise but the writers turned it into a clusterfuck.

>youtu.be/SlcUwUwjLrs
truly a phenomenal track

their use of passacaglia is good. the shape of things to come is great, too
>youtu.be/isbr4V7JoEc

satisfying scene

starbuck made me sick until she grew her hair long, then i actually saw she had a somewhat feminine face and i found her fuckable

particularly when she was held captive,
that's my fetish

>blood on the scales isn't one of their goat episodes

the plebs will tell you to just watch first two seasons

watch the whole thing

yes but skip black market. the series finale is bad, but black market is so pointless and stupid

Best show of all times, most criticisms just come from Fedoras who haven't accepted that God loves them

>starbuck honestly repulsed me throughout the whole show
Crazy talk, report to the Doc at once.

>Crazy talk, report to the Doc at once.

dee and athena are by far the superior bsgfus

> GOD DID IT

Literally a "Deus ex machina" ending but honestly I was okay with that because it was obvious it wasn't actually god but some alien or other human race.

Black Market is clearly an episode of the original series mysteriously transplanted in the re-imagined universe.

>the series finale is bad
No it isn't. It's divisive but that doesn't mean it's bad. Many people liked the ending but also many didn't (like most of Sup Forums for some reason)

>their use of passacaglia is good. the shape of things to come is great, too

nice, user

this was good though

youtu.be/IPUjyjP9qtY

>Literally a "Deus ex machina" ending
It's not though, that's just fancy talk for an asspull, but Head Six and Head Balthar were telling you what was going on constantly from their very first appearances, it couldn't have been more clearly signposted unless a human character died on screen then came back from the dead with supernatural knowledge.

And speaking of the soundtrack, this track was in the background of one of the bar scenes and got stuck in my head, turns out it was a Bear McReary song from another film he did:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4zlihY2axQ

Came in with a bang, went out with a whimper.

youtube.com/watch?v=DhNJAVaDl4M

>Why don't you just tell them that Battlestar Galactica isn't your favourite TV show of all time? Oh right, it's because that's treason, and if they find out they're going to tear your head off and THROW YOUR BODY OUT OF AN AIRLOCK!

>Playback on other websites has been disabled
You dirty motherfuckers

youtube.com/watch?v=y0RPK76gpSw

youtube.com/watch?v=9c2ZJPKz5u8
implyign this is not forever printed into your memory from watching this show

truly GOAT

i-is her right nipple coming out?

never during that show on screen

however, there are plenty of nudes of her on the interwebz

Human survival stuff is great and all the stuff with the cylons are annoying as fuck. Its one of those ROBOTS CAN BE PEOPLE TOO shows that dont ponder the idea of an artificial intelligence in an interesting way.

This is God-Kino sci-fi

Atheists would not like it, it's far too philosophical

>shows that dont ponder the idea of an artificial intelligence in an interesting way
2008 was still too early for that. Person of Interest did a great job at it though.

Atheists hate fedoras too.

STEP ASIDE, OTHER SOUNDTRACKS

youtube.com/watch?v=TSta8tcGC78

It's a lot like lost in that it strings you along to an unsatisfying conclusion and never answers questions but manages to entertain you along the way. BSG has some of the worst filler episodes however, find a watch guide and skip them they're truly awful.

wut? Are you talking about that one time in the miniseries when Tyrol said "shut up, sir" to Boomer?

>never answers questions
Like what?

Doesn't change the fact that "God did it" is the antithesis of sci-fi. It comes across as a cop out because it excuses any plot holes or conveniences with "it's magic". If I wanted magic plot devices I'd watch fantasy, at least do me the favor of covering up with some techno babble or something.

not them, the blonde cylon slaps around the long haired pretty boy a whole heck of a lot. ive considered making a supercut of all the moments for youtube, but never have

i wouldn't compare it to lost. lost is just mysteries on top of mysteries on top of mysteries. there are mysteries in bsg but nowhere near the amount lost had.

Passacaglia is top tier. Absolute quality. Bear McCreary is a marvellous composer.

>Like what?
It's been ages since I watched it but in early S1 there was an episode with some cylon tracker thing and angel six saves baltar with magic or some shit and it's never explained/retouched

One of my favorite shows ever. The first two seasons are the best but the whole series is worth watching.

The characters are great, plus Starbuck is hot.

Daily reminder that Helo is a gigantic mangina faggot that put the well being of a cylon over the last remnants of the human race. That traitor should have been executed.

Daily reminder that Felix Gaeta did nothing wrong.

Fantasy elements have always been a part of sci-fi. Go watch Star Trek TOS.

I suppose that's true but BSG intro literally says 'they have a plan' and they totally dont have a plan

>Daily reminder that Helo is a gigantic mangina faggot that put the well being of a cylon over the last remnants of the human race. That traitor should have been executed.
It's impossible to deny this position. I can see Adama forgiving Starbuck for being a cocky bitch and doing what she thinks is right (aka being Starbuck), but forgiving Helo for shit like preventing them wiping out the Cylons was total madness, I would have airlocked him immediately.

They do have a plan, but it went to shit due to either poor programming of the skinjobs or Cavil's mindfucking of them damaging them somehow.

>They do have a plan, but it went to shit due to either poor programming of the skinjobs or Cavil's mindfucking of them damaging them somehow.
eh whatever dude they still try to string you along with that shit

Have you never read any science fiction?

Religion acting as a counter-point or antagonist is a common theme in a lot of the most famous sci-fi novels.

>And they have a plan
>there was no plan

>tries to distance itself from the original series and makes a show of outdoing it
>still mines the original series heavily for major plot points
>falls apart and ends abruptly once the creators run out of material from the original series to adapt

My ideal BSG would be more of a blend between the two series. I want the more mature and complex storytelling of the newer series but I miss the Star Warsy space fantasy aesthetic of the original.

Watch up until the point they land on Earth. Stop watching then.

Alternatively, stop after season two.

>It's been ages since I watched it
Definitely. Six points out the tracker on the console to Baltar but there's nothing magic about that nor what happens after.

The first halves of seasons 3 and 4 were great, some of the best sci-fi tv ever made. The second halves is where it started to drag, struggling to find a way to cap off the show.

I liked what they eventually came up with but it didn't need an entire half-season to get there, or it could have been executed better.

wasn't he going to be blame for it or something then it disappears?

No, he tells someone he saw Leoben messing with the console then they take it down. I think you might be confusing it with the later episode where another version of Six shows up and frames him for being complicit in the attacks using fake CCTV footage, but they later discover the video was a fake and Six escapes, which also wasn't magic though.

>It's a Head Six bullies Baltar episode

Well I'll take your word for it, I do remember an episode like that where baltar is left wondering how head six saved him though

like LOST or The Leftovers you have to enjoy the characters more than the overarching plot if you don't want to be disappointed because the storyline is fucking shit after season 2+

One thing I never understood is the Cylon numbering, early on they were all random numbers under twelve, which makes sense, but then for some reason either the fans or writers decided the final five had to have the last five numbers, so they invented the dead number 7 to make it make sense, but why would the "final five" be the highest numbers when they were the creators of the rest? Shouldn't they have been 1-5, unless they knew they were going to have exactly 7 other kids and named themselves accordingly, but that's weird.

The closest sci-fi I've read to BSG is Calculating God, it did a much better job of using religion as a plot device than BSG did. It presented two points of view on the same event, one from a religious side and one from a scientific side and left you wondering if it really matters what you call it.

BSG didn't do that. The main plot device that tied everything up in the end was "God" and that's that, no room for interpretation. Just magic. Thing that doesn't make sense? Don't worry, it was magic. And if you base your whole plot on magic you didn't write a science fiction show, you wrote a fantasy show that happens to be set in the future.

Disappointing ending to the plot, but at least the characters got some closure.

>have exactly 7 other kids
8* derp

AI has never been an interesting sci fi concept. It's been done to death. It has two options, they are either just humans like you and me or they are just cold calculating robots that will kill humanity.

wrong

There is another way.

youtube.com/watch?v=WOnQ8CD3v4g

daily reminder lee is a fucking idiot that sacrificed the pegasus because he's a fat doughnut eating jackass

>tfw all set up to play the boardgame today

Good times ahead

And let that beautiful ebony waifu die

The Admiral should have bullied his fat ass out of the service years earlier. He was a shit lawyer and president too, but at least he could do slightly less damage there.

That was such a shocking episode at the time, but if you watch it carefully and pay attention to little things she says, there's a few red flags, and her fracking husband should have spotted them.

So he never did doggy style and noticed the red hot spine?

i get why she did it but it was still kind of stupid and seem like it existed for pure shock value

COMFIEST SONG REPORTING IN

youtu.be/OGcMPp7TNo4

>Shits always breaking
>deck gangs constantly on the move fixing things
>in constant need of supplies
>enlisted vs officer classism
>XO and CPO are tough but get respect because they keep shit running

Reminder that BSG is the only TV series ever to do life on a warship justice

also interestingly: the Galactica is one of the few scifi warships where the command center is actually in the middle of the ship instead of on the outside, preferably with a giant window exposing it to all kinds of weapon fire

>Gaeta slowly turns from yes-man bitch to jaded outcast to mutineer

God-tier character development

>space battles are overseen from the Combat Information Center. We never even see a stereotypical "bridge" or command deck
>Marines are used as security forces, though the most senior among them is a Master At Arms

They definitely had Navy vets as consultants

I like the out-of-uniform character development he got in Final Cut too

Starts out great but ends disappointingly. Pretty sure it was because of the writers strike. Oh well, the ride is fun all the same, give it a watch.

it kinda sucked and got boring pretty quick iirc
don't waste your time

How does Sup Forums feel about the treatment of Cylon prisoners aboard the Pegasus?

only real issue it has is space battles taking place with all warships close together, but I guess we can excuse that given the alternative would have been fairly boring to watch

and course, the series did give us one of the most hype moments in space combat fiction, despite technically taking place within atmosphere

made even better in that they didn't handwave the toll this took on the ship

Tough but fair

>Implying putting your dick in a toaster is rape
Please Disturb

She literally did nothing wrong
Ruthless, yes
But her priority was strike back.
Something that Adama lost sight off due to the liberal interference of President Roslin

They certainly had many. A lof of credit goes to Mcreary

youtube.com/watch?v=T99blrM1DgQ

youtube.com/watch?v=WSYPYq9D_No

youtube.com/watch?v=x8zsE5zdlsQ

>Don't mess with the bull, young lady, you'll get the horns

She was a lesbian for starbuck right?

>the explosion of goosebumps you get around the 1:20 mark

there was no chance of an attack succeeding
she was willing to sacrifice ALL OF HUMANITY just for an impossible chance to defeat the Cylons

the first priority was survival

But her plan to destroy the resurrection hub was successful, she would have won the war for them if Baltar hadn't let Six out,

Very high highs, but with incredibly low lows

Like the first 2.5 seasons out of 4 are good. The ending of the show shows up in "worst tv series endings of all time" lists for a reason. It's almost Lumberjack Dexter tier.

For some reason she always grossed me out. Didn't she have an unsightly mole or something?