New Doctor Strange Concept Art

Magic, motherfuckers, do you cast it?

Other urls found in this thread:

britannia.com/wonder/geomancy.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

where are the kirby dots?

>live-action Kirby dots
Man, I cannot WAIT until the day we get those.

>kirby dots
>in a Ditko character

What is he casting?

Magic Missile.

A manipulation of electrons because magic doesn't exist in these movies.

>A manipulation of electrons and quantum physics

Lotta non Kirby artists used them as time went on.

Mystic Cock-Fucking of the Infinite

Why is he casting Magic Missile? There's nothing to attack.

He's manipulating technology because magic in the MCU is just technology.

Its extradimensional technology that uses alien energies in patterns to cause an effect, that is what magic really is.

Oh, this is gonna be another thread of babbies whining about "Magic as Technology".
Guess I'll just quit while I'm ahead.

He is attacking the darkness

Man, I love this costume. Up there with Iron Man, Black Panther and Ant-Man suits.

We get them once the Fantastic Four MCU comes out, which is when Fox will stop being the most spiteful and pettiest mother fuckers on the planet.

bye felicia

The trailers showing that this shit is going to do mystical weird shit on us.

Bait

Then why even make the distinction in the first place

He has no idea

HAH!

Now I want to see an edit where one of those ribbons of mystical energy ends in a fish hook.

Science.

Well because humans cant explain it using conventional physics so its magic to them.

Normal physics is implicit to a single dimension is it not?

DOO
DOO
DOODOODOODOOO

>science = technology

Bolts of Bendysnatch

>has a magic circle
No matter what they call it, they're going full magic

Nigga, he has TWO magic circles there.

Chinese Money Storm

Didn't they confirm it's actual magic?

Whenever I try to imagine Strange in a fight my brain does a fart. What does he do? Fire fireballs? Summon demons? Basic wizard shit?

How the fuck is that NOT magic?

Nigger, under a competent writer Strange fights are the best, trippiest shit ever. Basically he can do anything if he knows the right invocation/invokes the right entity. So literally anything can happen in his fights. But his base strategy is to guard himself with a shielding spell while he nukes the enemy with one of his more powerful offensive spells.

>“He can do a whole host of things, eventually,” explains Feige, who is also the producer of Doctor Strange. “He does cast spells, which in the comics have very sort of tongue-twisty fun names. We don’t want to shy away from that, because that’s what makes Doctor Strange Doctor Strange. He has a Cloak of Levitation that allows him to fly, but he doesn’t fly like Superman or like Thor. It’s almost got a consciousness of its own, this cloak, which, again, gives us a superhero with a red cape — which we’ve seen a few times — but allows us to do it in a wholly unique and wholly original way. He can create these mandalas of light that he can use as shields and he can use as sort of weapons. He can create portals that will open before your eyes that he can step through and go to other places around the world. And frankly, even in this film, we’ll only touch upon what a lot of his powers are.”

Sounds like magic to me.

I've seen a copypasta explanation splitting it into 3 types but it makes it sound so undeservedly boring desu.
Suffice to say: Mysticism in the Marvel Universe largely consists of tapping into energy from other dimensions that have different laws of physics.

That sounds really fun, I really hope they do this right. It could mean a lot if they introduce magic to the MCU in just the right way.

Yeah Classic Strange's go-to move it to blast things with untold arcane might until they stop causing problems. In his defense, when it works it WORKS.

The "three types" thing is largely from the Marvel Handbooks and the old Marvel tabletop RPG game, but some of it creeps into the comics themselves. Marvel Tarot and Aaron's run on Strange have both referenced concepts from there.

Dr Strange comics always have such imaginative ways of demonstrating that things have gone wrong.

I'm real excited to see Cummerbund say those classic spells. shit is barely words

>and the old Marvel tabletop RPG game
Ah. That explains it. Needs simple rules & limitations that can be easily played, I guess.
>and Aaron's run
What are you referencing specifically? The Dr Voodoo story? 'Cause I picked up on that and it made me smile.
Don't remember it in Tarot, guess I'll have to give it a re-read.

I was worried they'd skimp on the rhyming but apparently "wacky incantations" play a big part in it so I'm excite.

Ian McGee specifically references it in his Tarot issues, even uses the same terminology from the Handbook. Aarons book does something similar, describing the way sorcerers channel magical energy from the environment and then also using phrases like "Dragon Lines" which are also lifted from the same entry of the Handbook.

I don't understand why people were mad about the casting, Cumberbund has the perfect voice for all those dramatic incantations.

I seriously think he'll make a RDJ-tier role, he seems like a perfect choice to me.

I'm pretty sure Dragon Lines/ley lines are a feng shui/chi thing.

I was more bored bc it seemed super obvious. and i was rooting for oscar issac

>It's a "Dr Strange is summoned by the Vishanti to participate in a 5000 year mystic war after which he only aged one year and was returned to Earth only four months after he left" episode

The Vishanti are dicks.

Oh shit, you're right. Doubly full magic

forgive me for being new to this but what are the kirby dots?

>Shmorky

Kirby Krackle. It's how Jack Kirby drew cosmic energies, and it became a staple of the genre.

Ley Lines are a thing, but calling them Dragon Lines is a Marvel thing.

It beggars my imagination that no writer to date has tried to tackle what happened with Doctor Strange during the War of the Seven Spheres. He was there for 5000 YEARS. Everything he's experienced on Marvel Earth is a fraction of his life compared to that war. Mind you, he can manipulate the flow of time so god knows how old he actually is or how much time he's spent on other adventures.

Regardless if I'm going to like the film or not, I'm accepting that they won't adhere to the aesthetics which made me like Dr. Strange in the first place.

>No disembodied fanged mouths in the background.

Are you okay? Sounds like you're having a stroke?

Nigga you mean the FANGS OF FARALLAH?

>Ley Lines are a thing, but calling them Dragon Lines is a Marvel thing.
I've got to call bullshit on that. I've seen it in too much other media sources to believe that, and it's popping up in a fair other number of sources on ley lines I'm googling up here.

britannia.com/wonder/geomancy.html
>These lines of magnetic force, known in China as the "dragon current", or lung-mei, existed in two forms: the yin, or negative, current represented by the white tiger, and the yang, or positive, current, represented by the blue dragon.

Anyone got those incursion pages where Strange bitch slaps the Harry Potter lookin kid, before going full elder god and summoning Cthulhu style tentacles from the sky to fuck everyone up?
The whole issue with the 'Not Justice League' fight was possibly the only good issue to come out of that whole event.

So how far will this Strange's powers go? Will they nerf him? Because Id hate to just get Wanda 2.0

Whats wrong with Jean Grey?

Uh.......what?

Manipulating quantum particles and the space-time continuum might sound like science but that's fucking magic.

It is firmly established canon that Strange does not understand Wanda's powers, and that is likely to be the case in the MCU, given they will want to avoid Stephen being a know-it-all Mary Sue, and show gaps in his knowledge.

Wanda does not use "magic" yet, because she had to learn it. So she at present just uses the basic mental augment stuff, but powered by magic; the equivalent of My Paint and Notepad on Windows; default shit that gets her started. Note how those powers are being phased out by the Russos...I don't see her throwing cars at Thanos.

Joe Russo has said we have not even seen a fraction of Wanda's powers yet, and that the real shit is hidden and no one knows Jack Shit. She probably controls Chaos (which would obviously have no stone), given that's kind of her thing.

But the only characters that said "Magic is science" in the MCU were scientist (Schmidt and Jane).

The whole magic vs science thing is stupid.
The only reason it exists is because science has been used to prove that certain things which are claimed to be magic aren't. So in reality science isn't fighting against magic, it has simply proven that allegedly magical things aren't magic. If magic really did exist do you really think scientists would try and destroy it? No, they would study it because that's the fucking point of science!

Sorry but magic is too spooky for my chinese audience.

Thats just advanced technology that can only be activated by elaborate dances and lip synching.