Does Sup Forums like Elric?

Does Sup Forums like Elric?
Does Sup Forums even KNOW Elric?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dBWGjT-XV6g
youtube.com/watch?v=HYAd0-ifNlM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideon_Stargrave#Inspiration
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mah nigga! You gonna storytime for us? I personally feel he's more of a /tg thing, but since I'm there all the time it doesn't matter much to me.

it's on the to read list

>You gonna storytime for us
Maybe. Some months back i tried storytiming the entire Craig Russel/Roy Thomas issues all the way to Stormbringer but there was ZERO interest in the threads so i abandoned my attempts.

Get to reading.
Speaking of Roy Thomas and Craig Russel, Titan Books are publishing hardcovers of the entire series. I actually have both volumes ordered and they should be here in a few days.

Got the novels off amazon last year. They're pretty good, very creative. It would all seem so cliche if I didn't know it's what started most of those cliches.

I'm not sure, did Moorcock start the Law/Chaos duality?

I've read all the books, OP, not the comics. fafhrd and mouser fan as well

I think so. In one book he says he was inspired by the emergence of chaos theory and the Mandelbrot Set.

I read the Making of a Sorcerer trade and it wasn't that good. I might try the novels at some point but haven't as of yet.

I can't imagine Sup Forums not wanting Moorcock.

I read the 80s Marvel Graphic Novel retelling of The Draming City. Fun read with some of the best art I've seen in a US comic. Promised myself read the books.

Maybe I'll storytime it one of these days

Didn't Moorecock call Ruby Throne the best adaptation of his work yet

Loved the books when I read them, didn't know there were comics.... holy fuck they look amazing.

oh look geralt, i like the witcher books too ;)

Elric feels like something that Claremont should've work with in his heyday. We all know he didn't want to be telling silver age science fiction stories, he was too busy dragging magic into any place he could shoehorn it into the X-mythos.

Hell, I'm still waiting for Hollywood to figure out Elric could be a big LotR-esque series.

He also was the first to come up with the right pointed star of chaos.

Meant eight pointed...

All I know about it is that some people claim Andrzej Sapkowski ripped it off and made Witcher just because both protagonists are swordsmen with white hair.

Moorcock

I've got this feeling that my luck is none too good

Jerry Cornelius has the be the most batshit creation that any writer, Phillp K. Dick included, has ever shat out. The opening of the first chapter of the first book has Jerry and this Middle Eastern scientist smoking in bed after sex and talking about the plausibility of religion in an increasingly scientific world.

It's not that shit like that makes me uncomfortable or anything, it's just that it's really REALLY out there. Like imagine National Lampoon tried to make a post modern James Bond parody while blitzed out of their minds on LSD, shrooms, and acid

He also stole his title. Elric is the real White Wolf. Also, he 100%plagiarized Elric. The fucker translated sci fi for a living. There is no doubt he read Stormbringer or Sailor on the seas of fate.

Moorcock co-wrote one of the best Blue Oyster Cult songs, plus some others.

I've only ever read the original series. Which of the other Elric books are must-reads?

BLACK blade-ade-ade-ade-ade

So what are some Sup Forums recommended Elric comics?

IMHO, storywise, the weakest in the eternal champions (on top Elric's like "the original Emo"). At least those I've read. I liked Corum somehow much better.

Also the Witcher, like Elric, uses drugs and potions to his advantage. Still, I wouldn't really call it a ripp of. Sure the characters look superficially extremly similiar, but the stories told feel so different it's like watching Armageddon and Sixth Sense and then complaining that one ripped of the other, because the main lead looks so similiar.

I could see claremont doing pure fantasy, but I'm not sure if he could pull Elric up.

Seconding Corum.
Especially the second series with it's ancient Celtic mythology.

>(on top Elric's like "the original Emo").

Not sure if I should be surprised or not on how Elric manages to get laid a few times in spite of this.

This sword here at my side don't act the way it should

You'd be suprised (or let's say disappointed). Despite being the King of people that torture slaves to death for fun and giggles, he only get's one like girl in the original series (most likely he had a whole harem, but was to busy indulging in self-pity while he was king in the series).

I can think of three people in the original six books that he fucked.
1.) His cousin and bride to be.
2.) The queen of a city state he was chilling in for a while. (The queens previous beau took offense at this, and attacked Elric. In response, Elric spent like a book and a half chasing him to the ends of the earth before driving the dude to suicide.)
3.) His wife, who he married and settled down with before being interrupted by the end of the world.

There were probably several incidental lays I don't remember.

>I'm not sure, did Moorcock start the Law/Chaos duality?
Paul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions did something similar. It's hard to say who was first, since TH&TL was released the same year as the first Elric stories.

In all likelihood, the two were in communication and developed it in tandem.

I don't know who he is what's his deal?

OK now I am really interested to know this Elric guy.

Wait isn't Elric high fantasy while the Witcher tries to be realist? Don't you mean he took inspiration form it?

I got this comic book when I was a kid (early 2000's) and it was a 6-part anthology of Michael Moorcock stories. Elric was the last one and it was badass, I need to definitely check this out

the albino from cerebus got his own spin-off series? weird.

I for one would greatly appreciate a story-time. But I am but a poor black child.

>There will never be an Elric animated series with art direction by yoshitaka amano and a kicking prog-rock soundtrack,

>and a kicking prog-rock soundtrack
obligatory: youtube.com/watch?v=dBWGjT-XV6g

youtube.com/watch?v=HYAd0-ifNlM

Thread theme

I feel really dumb for not seeing the obvious influence of Elric on Starlin's Warlock. He's essentially the exact same character in space down to the soul stealing and the Chaos lord

For real? I really ought to read Elric now

There's one song at minute 45 that's blowing my mind

He's the crippled king of an ancient, hedonistic empire of cruel sorcerers. He's a lot kinder and emphatic than his kin which leads to many of the problems he faces.

One of which is a soul devouring sword thatis destined to end existence.

Blue Oyster bros on Sup Forums this made my day

Elric of Melnibone omnibus
The Dreamthief's Daughter
and grab the Eternal Champion omnibus

the von Bek saga is also something you should check out before Dreamthief's daughter, to better understand where the von Bek family is positioned in the cosmos

>MFW I want to make this guy in Dark Souls 1

How would this build work?

I fucking love Moorcock

if nothing else, Moorcock is the one Gygax took most inspiration from when implementing his own law vs chaos conflict, while the good vs evil was clearly tolkienian

sword plus sorceries

Moorcock is the writer with possibly the most influence on my own books, along with K.A Applegate and Terry Pratchett. The main character of my first book was a pretty shallow Elric knockofff in the first draft

>How would this build work?
Elric is physically quite weak, except when empowered by stolen souls. Elric's sorceries work mostly by summoning other worldly help.

So to build an Elric character, take souls from defeating your enemies and spend them to make yourself stronger. And when the going gets tough, summon other players to help you.

I hope this helps.

This.

He's a Dex build that uses items and summons all the time.

At the risk of suggesting meme-gear, the closest in game analog to Elric's sword is probably a Chaos Zweihander.

so will reading these hold up or am i gonna be bored bc it laid foundation for so much later stuff??

It can be a little boring. Don't try to read them all one after another, put some space between each story so it doesn't drag.

Elric needs Moorcock

They hold up very well (in my opinion) in large part because they're mostly very compact stories.

For example, there are six main books in the Elric series. However, instead of a single, continuous story, they're mostly a series of smaller stories that lead into one another. Plots end before you can get burned out on them.

They read a lot more like the Narnia books than the Lord of the Rings. Just, a more violent and more heathen Narnia.

Another thing: while Elric did lay the foundation for later stuff, some story lines are bizarre enough that nothing later has tried to emulate it. As an example: at one point, Elric meets up with his parallel selves and they combine into a giant champion to defeat a pair of alien gods who intended to devour the galaxy. Afterwards, Elric and his bros split and continue on with their lives. This happens in book 2 of 6.

If nothing else, you'll know where everybody else got it from.

I've been listening to Blue Oyster Cult all night. Is their later stuff even better than their early stuff? I kind of love their first album and Agents of Fortune. Goign to listen to Tyranny and Mutation then Secret Treaties next.

The structure of the books make me wonder how much of a hack Andrzej Sapkowski really must be.

What's wrong with Sapkowski?

As far as "not-Elrics" go, I hold more disdain for Drizzt. Mostly because, not only is Drizzt the character an Elric clone, but drow society in general is basically Melnibone but underground.

Some people like to say the Witcher is a rip off of Elric.

I'll do a storytime of the Ruby Throne/Stormbringer later on today.

I alwas thought about drow as the PG-13 Version of Melnibone ;-)

Ok, I somehow didn't count the wife and bride.

>;-)
Your kind is not welcome here.

Poul Anderson did.

The Law/Chaos stuff in Three Hearts, Three Lions, was a development from his earlier 'Broken Sword' novel, which debuted the same year as Lord of the Rings. Both debuted a long time before Moorcock was writing, both books were published in the 50s. (53 for Three Heart, 54 for Sword)

The Elric books wouldn't be printed until the 60s. Either way, Poul Anderson was a massive influence on Moorcock.

God, where is my head? 3Hearts3Lions was printed before Broken Sword, I even wrote the publishing dates in this post.

Either way, they predate the earliest Elric stories by half a decade.

People who say that are stupid. Geralt is nothing like Elric except for a bit of albinism. Moorcock didn't invent colouration disorders.

Moorcock and Moorcock's fans go off at anything that has even the slightest similarity to his work.

>Moorcock... go off at anything that has even the slightest similarity to his work.

Moorcock loves that shit. That's why he isn't even mad about WH popularizing his chaos star. It all adds to his multiverse/eternal champion mythology.

>Moorcock loves that shit
No, he doesn't.
>That's why he isn't even mad about WH popularizing his chaos star.
He got extremely pissy over it actually.

He only likes homage when it has his blessing. He went apeshit at Grant Morrison for 'ripping him off' and his fans got him riled up over the Witcher (but he cooled on that after he actually read the book).

The man is pretty thorny about these things.

Wasn't there a whole lot of bullshit that went on between him and GW and that's why they can't uses Malal anymore?

Quick research says Malal is due to John Wagner and Alan Grant, who were writing freelance for GW, They did make an Elric-rip off, but I'm not finding any pissiness from Moorcock over it.

Most of what I read about it is Moorcock laughing it off, saying we all know where the star really came from.

If you look into when it was first brought to his attention, he thought about suing Games Workshop over it but decided not to go ahead. Likewise when he talked about suing Sapkowski over the Witcher.

The man is not cuddly or fluffy when he thinks his work is being stolen, though he didn't go ahead with either of these lawsuits.

> The Jerry Cornelius character was originally invented by Michael Moorcock who at one point gave permission for him to be used by any artist or writer who wished to. There was later some dispute over the character, and the right of use was revoked. When Marvel Comics reprinted the series, the name Jerry Cornelius was changed to "Lewis Carnelian".

> In 2006, on his website, Moorcock himself wrote:[11]

> I didn't retroactively withdraw permission. Moebius was a friend of friends of mine when he started and someone (I don't know who) told him I didn't like the strip. I loved the strip, though I'd said it wasn't really Jerry Cornelius. This got taken to mean by someone that I didn't like it and Moebius, whom I came to know later and explain that I hadn't withdrawn permission, took the JC out of the title. He knows now that I liked it and had no problems with it.

And yet when Morrison used Jerry Cornelius, he accused Morrison of ripping him off.

Because Morrison wasn't part of the enshrined artists that Moorcock admired.

I storytimed that comic... Ooh, must've been 5 years ago. I remember the writer/editor put a little note somewhere saying "Yeah, we're not sure how we managed to make this happen either."

Didn't he also bonk the Dreamthief?

Wasn't Stormbringer described as being 5 feet long once?

I love Moorcock but like most older guys who never got the credit they deserve he can be a little butt hurt about people "ripping him off." This feud is insanity and I wonder how much of it is fueled by Moorcock's friendship with Alan Moore:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideon_Stargrave#Inspiration

keeps calling me its MASTER but I feel like its SLAVE

>Geralt is nothing like Elric except for a bit of albinism
And is called the White Wolf. And he's a spellsword. And uses drugs to enhance his performance.

The real problem is that Sapkowski never admitted the influence.
>but he cooled on that after he actually read the book
That's not the case. The only reason he didn't sue was because he's too old to be bothered to be involved in court cases and would instead want to see Elric media get off the ground.

>Thread has been up for about 19 hours.
>No one bothered to storytime.

You boring motherfuckers.
Okay before we begin, you need to understand that this is NOT the Elric from the novels. That's a different series for another time.

For now, let us go to the Dragon Isle to meet the last emperor of Melnibone.

Strap the fuck in. It's gonna be bumpy.

Already ran into troubles with this.

Woops missed a page.

I'm really hoping there are people reading this. This is a series that deserves more fans than just us oldfags.