Confuses complexity for depth: The Writer

>Confuses complexity for depth: The Writer

Someone get this man a copy of Moby Dick so he can learn what depth is. The story of Moby Dick can take place anywhere and it can be told and retold in 1000 different ways. It speaks to the human condition in a way that transcends cultures & time. It is also a very simple story (A man hunts a whale) imbued with the weight of DEPTH.

Grant Morrison is the OPPOSITE of Melville Every one of his stories is overwrought to the point of ridiculousness. He doesn't 'tell stories' because that's too subtle & nuanced for him. He tries to craft events and substitute SCALE for DEPTH. A Grant Morrison story is a monument built out of ego and string in a glass case with a sign that says "FRAGILE: DO NOT TOUCH".

The fact that this hack is hailed as one of the most intellectual comic writers of all time is a damning condemnation on the genre.

You sound like someone who pretended to read Moby Dick, OP.

I feel like OP is one of those people that love to use the word "relatable" everytime they discuss something.

I agree OP, but you're not going to get much traction here.

created all star superman. he gets a pass, friendo.

I agree with you too, OP.

I think Grant Morrison does better than average Superhero comics on a board that when is talking comics greatly prefers Superhero ones so his work is thus elevated.

I had a period where I was really into his stuff, but I found weirder, I found better, I found more consistent comics elsewhere and my opinion of him falls (there are still some gems)

Flex Mentallo

>story

Fucking plebs

More like

>carried by Frank Quitely: the writer

Was the Multiverse Doctor Fate comic good? Because it looks really rad

>Frank Quitely: the writer
>not Frank Quitely: the storyteller

You clearly missed what he was going for user

You aren't drawing or storytiming shit. Why the hell are you namefagging?

Because I choose to, why do you care so much?

>Uses this piece of hyper Neo-Fedoraism as his website banner: The human.

What's so good about depth anyway?

Honestly I don't read comics for 'depth'. I don't pick up capeshit to have it speak to me on a human level. I just want to see the characters I love do the things they do best,

Depth is overrated

Look, someone is butthurt because they don't understands Morrison's works, I had never seen this before.

On a side note: HOW THE FUCK IS HE MAKING THAT PEN FLY? IS HE A MAGICIAN???

>Flex Mentallo isn't deep
wew

Hi OP

Morrison is the Chris Nolan of comicbook writers. Everyone think they're smart because of the 2deeep4U tone of the stories.

>I'm in high school
ftfy

Seconded. "Depth" is for literary fiction and pretentious fops. Comics don't need depth. I read commercial fiction and comic books for entertainment value and escapism, and the cold hard truth is that "depth" and the other things lit crits hold in high regard oftentimes gets
in the way of both of those.

>I'm a faggot that uses greentexts that have nothing to do with the thread to disclaim arguments
ftfy

I'm the first poster you tagged, and I was defending Morrison, dipshit

I never liked Batman RIP

>Confuses simplicity for complexity: The OP

It's the same story. It's just different every time. Infinite variations on the theme.

*reads your post*
*barfs*

Did you at least read the Three Ghosts of Batman and Club of Heroes arcs?

You're a moron. The tragedy of being a moron is that you'll never know.

Make your case then.

Enlighten me to the 'depth' that I'm missing from Morrison.

Also, I'm one of the best nameanons on the site so kindly FUCK OFF

I really want some clam chowder now. Where the fuck can I find a fucking cow that has been fed seafood though?

Dude, if you can't understand why Animal Man, All-Star Superman, Flex Mentallo, We3 etc. are great works, what do you expect from me?
Is everything he does gold? Hell no. No writer produces only good stuff.
But his metatextual examination of the comic form is often great and transgressive as hell. He's not just telling a 'deep' story, he's commentating on what comics are as an artform.

DUDE

>He's not just telling a 'deep' story, he's commentating on what comics are as an artform.

You've got one thing right. He's not telling a 'deep story' at all. You make the same mistake as Morrison in conflating COMPLEXITY for DEPTH.

meme

There absolutely is depth to his work, it works on multiple levels depending on how much you want to engage it.

Why are you so obsessed by depth? Has Morrison ever bragged to you how 'deep' he can write? He's not interested in what you or any reader thinks. The good comic book writers understand the medium very well. Great writers like Morrison not only understand them, they are looking under the hood to see/show how this artform ticks.
The 'deep' part is that he digs 'deep' into what comics essentially are or could be. It's not just about telling a relatable parable (although he certainly has done that too.)

Morrison is a one trick pony. And that one trick is lame as hell. I only read his comics because of Frank Quitely.

BUT NONE OF HIS BOOKS ARE ABOUT WHALES!!!

stop breathing

What is said trick?

Explain the trick to us, please.

>He's not interested in what you or any reader thinks.

Maybe if he was, he'd be more concerned about telling HUMAN stories instead of being up his own ass with meta wankery.

>I have shit taste
F
T
F
Y

Isn't the adult Damian clone born from the belly of a whale?

>comics
>genre

We3 was one of the most human stories out there and wasn't about any humans.

He used all his ideas on The Invisibles. Everything he has created after that has been recycled from it. And even those ideas that he had in that book were stolen from other better writers.

Now we're getting to the real issue. You're just a bitter anti-art nerd who feels the constant need to be validated by writers and artists. If they don't care about you, you'll spout nonsense about how bad they are. Sad.

Dave Sim pls

He peaked with Flex imo.

You're just a bitter anti-art nerd who feels the constant need to be validated by writers and artists

Is that what you think?

Tell me how the ideas he put in Pax Americana are copies from the Invisibles?
And if I would concede the point that his ideas are not original, which I don't, he does them way better than anyone except maybe for Moore.

So by trick you mean multitude of ideas? Costume I figured there was one gimmick you were saying he relied on. Expressing all of your ideas isn't in one of your works doesn't seem like being a ONE trick pony.

You're clearly confusing ideas with themes or his style of storytelling.

Yes. You want him to write the stories you want to read. Your 'human' stories. Apparently experimenting with form isn't worth doing in your opinion. Apparently We3, All-Star Superman and Animal Man aren't human stories in your opinion. You're only satisfied if he would write what fits in your tiny box of what's good. You're silly.

>who are you quoting

He's like a that guy at a party that can play one song with piano and keeps playing it everytime. And you just go "just fucking stop with the piano dude, nobody fucking cares or wants to hear your stupid fucking song"

>Apparently experimenting with form isn't worth doing in your opinion

I said it's not deep.

He writes superhero shit and is not terrible. Therefore, I like him.

There is not many capeshit writers that are also decent. Grant Morrison can write the intellectual-property copyrighed trademarked characters owned by mega-corporations, which we can buy T-Shirts and pyjamas and action figures for, and he writes them in an OK way, so we like him.

That's about it.

Tell me how Batman RIP and seven soldiers was the same story then?
Was Moore's Watchmen and miracleman the same things?

ITT: Nothing but shitposting from both sides.

Everyone is so busy pretending Morrison is a god or a hobo who lucked into writing comics that you've all forgotten the one true good writer od comics that ever was, is, and will be.

Damn, we got an indiean over here.

Dude, come on. What the fuck are you trying to prove here? What the fuck does deep even mean to you? The guy is one of the few writers who uses the medium to its full potential, crossing his storytelling with the visual and technical side of the medium. You completely misunderstand post-modernism and only want parables. You just want your favorite kind of fiction that you defend with an abstract word like "deep" as if it means anything concrete to anyone. You can be deep in more ways than one. You can be deep without talking about the human condition. There's more to fiction and art than to talk about what we are as humans. There's more to life that us. What's so hard to understand?

or "likeable" because he can't tolerate a flawed character that might be antagonistic.

I am not indiean, really. I like corporate cash-grabbing capeshit unironically.

I like capitalism.

The hack that's responsible for before Watchmen and Rebirth?
No thanks

Dude, don't start this shit. We all know Moore's wrote some of the medium's greatest work. That doesn't invalidate the work of other writers. If it would, the medium would be long dead already.

I think Moore is overrated. He might still be the best or one of the best comic writers ever, but he's a bit overrated.

Flex>Moore's best work

Plus, Moore fell off harder than Morrison.
Neither make 10/10 material anymore but Moore has shit out some pretty lame stuff.

Poor Alan Moore. He just wanted to push comics foward and people completely misinterpreted Watchmen and that brought the dark age.

If Moore is responsible for BW and Rebirth, then Bill Ginger is responsible for Bat-Gordon.

Morrison just wrote Pax Americana. Dude still write 10/10.

But Multiversity and Ultra comics were 10/10. I keep hearing good things about Providence from Moorefags, but still have to read it.

Go and give Providence a read, then.

Yep, the stuff that Moore is putting up lately is not good

I thought of that as I was typing. I was really just playing devil's advocate.
I think Morrison is usually better than Moore.

*Pax Americana

But does Moore write about WHALES?!

I'm going to level with you.

I don't actually read comics outside of Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, and Megg, Mog & Owl. I don't even really know who Grant Morrison is or what he's done. I've certainly never read anything he's ever done. Everything I know about the man I've picked up from other people's opinions here on Sup Forums.

I only made this thread because it gave me a giggle.

Honestly, Moore seems to be getting back on track. For a while there he was getting inconsistent though I thibk.

>Calvin & Hobbes
Explains your inability to form your own opinions.

No, Moore write about fish that rape people.

still managed to get you riled up though.

That's even better than whales.

>when the anons are just right

Hear me out; next League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Cut to a futuristic rape factory. Owned by MOBY DICK.

I think you mean Ahab or Ishmael, cause unless that whale has some serious telekinesis/telepathy going on, he van not accomplish such things.

Moby Dick is fucking awful.

>ignorant faggot with ignorant opinions
>namefagging

Morrison can get pretty preachy at times. I can take it during Flex Mentallo because he's more or less preaching to himself but it got really annoying during some parts of Doom Patrol and Invisibles.

He delves way too deep into symbols sometimes and comes out with a very thin plot. It's a bit like Jodorowsky, where you sacrifice characters so you can get this more distilled 'idea' of a character.