Hey Sup Forums been a while

Hey Sup Forums been a while,

I come from and this will be my first year missing SDCC in 14 years. What's Sup Forums's general consensus on comicbook conventions these days anyway?

Insecure teenagers hate them because muh cringe

I expect either a fundamental christian, a member of Isis, or somekind of pro-life nutter to shoot up SDCC this year. You all went too family-friendly and ignored the trash people that make up some of your population. No public drinking? No public swearing? SDCC is awful.

But I'm a Dragon*Con boy, aka a rowdy drunk who considers a con to be a constant party so I'm a little biased.

Asshole took away my flask. SDCC is awful in my eyes - at Dragon*Con a cop asked if he could take a shot with us then declined because "Oh shit the uniform..." we found him when he was off duty two hours later and got tanked with him.

>What's Sup Forums's general consensus on comicbook convention

keep to the smaller ones, the big ones are so overcrowded you cant do anything fun.

SDCC stopped being fun 15 years ago.

>my first year missing SDCC in 14 years
At least you've gotten to go. I still haven't been there since 2013.

As for conventions, it's hard to get excited for actual comic news thanks to "comic convention" becoming synonymous with "Comic-Con" and thus "pop culture celebration". Not to say the celebration in general isn't a bad thing, but it's no longer really about comics anymore.

>Dragon*Con
Been once, party scene was intense. But the downside is Atlanta being Atlanta. You have to swim to get to hotels in the humidity.

I want to do Wondercon. Never been.

You're 100% correct. Pop-culture has taken over the con completely. I haven't gone for the comics in years, I usually go for the cartoon panels.

anime cons > comic cons

My city has an anime con and a comic con. The anime con is pretty chill and you can actually find some pretty cool things by local artists, while the comic con is just a chain-event and a big consumerist warehouse of unsold Hot Topic shit; filled with normies to boot. Probably only going to the anime con from this point, and I don't even watch anime.

>a fundamental christian, a member of Isis, or somekind of pro-life nutter to shoot up SDCC this year
What did he mean by this?

Never been to Dragoncon but I have tons of fun in SDCC even if the normies and it being crazy popular ruined it somewhat.

I also got to meet Patrick Stewart in a party at the Hard Rock Hotel and that was awesome.

>No public swearing?
I'm sorry what?
In SDCC's defense, I got into DC comics because of my first year there.

>I usually go for the cartoon panels.
It's somewhat funny how the panels are the best part of the convention nowadays. That and the freebies/exclusives, I suppose.

That's a fine defense. Personally, it was "Blackest Night" for me.
Funny enough, my first SDCC was pretty much the last year that you could buy tickets well after their sale date. The year after that, they became the zero-day sellout fiasco that the convention has pretty much made a tradition. Getting rid of the on-site presale didn't help at all, either.

Cons are for normie who can tolerate social interaction.

With less celebrities showing up and Disney and others pulling out content for their own conventions I'm seeing attendance downslide and hoping normies stay out again.

Comic-Con has always been a comics, sci fi and all around nerd pop culture event, hell the first teaser for A New Hope was showed there and the Klingon Opera thing originated in SDCC.

They even showed stuff like the Hulk TV show and other stuff that has nothing to do with comics like Doctor Who for example.

Cons used to be a place for geeks to get together not just for the events and to meet their favorite creator or sci fi actress, but regarding comics it was a way to buy comics and trades that your LCS didn't have, obviously with the internet being a thing that no longer really applies.

I heard one of the Comic Con founders created a new con called Comic Fest. Have you guys ever been? How did you like it?

There was a sweet time and I think it was around 2003-2008 were SDCC wasn't popular and you could easily buy tickets at the con door and it wasn't crowded and you could exit in and out of Hall H and get to see celebrities and trailers for your favorite comic movie/show.

That said I think Comic-Con will leave San diego because the city has been retarded aboit the whole expanding the comvention center thing plus the Chargers throwimg their tantrums about leaving of the don't get a new stadium (yet they won't go) plus this crazy lawyer guy who loves suing everyone who so much wants to do any type of building in San Diego it's not going to last.

Maybe with Comic-Con gone there can be a better comic convention in San Diego.

>What did he mean by this?

He meant that with all the shit going on around the world, SDCC is one of the fattest fucking targets someone could pick if they wanted to do harm. And given that Fundamentalist (aka extremist) Christians and Muslims can find a lot NOT to like about the people going to cons, it would be very plausible for someone to go there and shoot the place up.

Although California has some pretty strict gun laws and I can't imagine that all of those celebrities that flock there will mean security is on the lax. Then again, some people look at Everest and go, "Yeah, I'll hike that even if it kills me."

>I come from Whats that like?

I'm guessing he knows a lot about menstruation

>I expect either a fundamental christian, a member of Isis, or somekind of pro-life nutter to shoot up SDCC this year.
Funny thing you said that because after the Orlando shooting, Florida SuperCon not only got the police to secure the convention but they actually banned guns and other type of weapon props entirely.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing will happen in SDCC.

Have you seen Mean Girls?
It's exactly like that, instead of grown ass men calling you faggot online it's grown ass woman calling you fat.

So pretty much what I thought it was like. Good to know.

Only fatties get upset at calling someone fat.

>What's Sup Forums's general consensus on comicbook conventions these days anyway?

They're not even comic book conventions. They're literally just hollywood press conferences that the public is allowed to pay money to attend. It's just hollywood finding a way to monetize their press conferences.

This is what ruins the panels. Screened questions. "Oh they're telling us to remember kids are in the audience." Fuck that shit.

>And given that Fundamentalist (aka extremist) Christians and Muslims can find a lot NOT to like about the people going to cons, it would be very plausible for someone to go there and shoot the place up.
But if he's scared that someone's gonna go into Genghis-Khan mode because of the degenerates, then why does he go on to talk about how hard they're trying to make it family-friendly? Wouldn't that be what the supposed Shariists would want?

Also "fandom culture" today does seem to be a hub of degeneracy, though.

It's pretty cool, been there for 7 years, because we all go to the same places you get to meet a lot of new friends with similar interests. The board itself is pretty catty with a few exceptions. Just be careful with what you post and where you post it and you'll be fine.

Shit gets the worst at the beginning of summer and near Halloween though.