Namor The Sub-Mariner Storytime (Part 4)

Welcome back, Anons! Since I'm working a lot tomorrow, this will be a shorter thread, unfortunately.

Yeah, this is definitely a Byrne story.

First page, and already screwing up. This is gonna be great.

And there's all the Colleen we're getting for a while. Misty, on the other hand, got drunk and followed "Danny".

This is a woman who clearly doesn't take rejection well.

You know you can fly, right Nita? You can go after him if you REALLY wanted to. It's probably a bad idea, but it's not like you haven't done dumber things.

>wearing a wifebeater
>in freaking Antarctica

I don't care what kind of super science we have in the Marvel Universe, I don't believe that she's not freezing right now.

Oh Meachum, haven't you figured out by now that this supervillain nonsense doesn't work out for you?

Danny, no.

>"You echo the sentiments of my craven ally."

Has anyone used the word "craven" outside of medieval-like stories (or characters who would fit in them) who WASN'T a villain?

Yeah, we all saw this coming.

Seriously, when he just casually does that, it makes you wonder why Danny even pretends to have a secret identity.

For those of you wondering why Misty has only one arm here? When she implied that the guy here was an imposter and ripped his shirt open to prove it (he had Danny's Dragon Brand), she then gripped him with her metal arm and demanded that he show irrefutable proof that he's Danny.
So his hand burst into flames and he shattered her artificial arm with one punch.

Although we're starting to see some real hints that he isn't who he says he is. Not only is he casually using the Iron Fist multiple times in a fight (back in the days when he explicitly couldn't), but in some of the things he says...

Wait, what?

And now Mr. Big Shot is resorted to selling drugs, after his shit with Namor and Iron Man.

And as we all know, supervillains in costumes are one thing. But in the Marvel Universe, if you start dealing in drugs, there's one man who you should hope you NEVER meet...

And Nita with the save!

Oh Misty, no...

Dammit Misty!

Normally I wouldn't spoil a book cover, but this REALLY spoils things. If you can, try to skip opening this until you read the issue itself.

Seriously? Did you have set up that damn thing to pull off that swing?

And who let him bring in his Tiger?!

>comments on her looks
>his hand immediately goes to his belt

Yeah, it's still a Byrne story.

If you follow the links to the top of the OP, you should be able to get to the parts Misty's referring to eventually. Well, if you use the various archives.

Yeah, Namor basically trained the Griffin to be his pet.

>"Let's try not to be any more conspicuous than a flying lion and a half-naked lady have to be!"

Well, at least she's self aware about it.

>Rench!

She looks so happy to be causing mass havoc...

Oh no don't do it...

Yeah, you probably saw this coming.

Yeah, I still haven't read Byrne's Iron Man.

Fucking hell! Learning how to throw a punch is one thing, but here you are firing an SMG with no problems.

And here we're getting confirmation that "Danny" isn't Danny at all.

>"I'm going to be a King, Miss Knight. And not of some puny little country! King of a whole planet! With the most beautiful woman in a whole galaxy as my queen!"

Well, we've always known he was a bit off..

Let's get over what we know about this fake Danny.
>He can take the form of Danny Rand, right down to the chest tattoo
>He has knowledge of Iron Fist and Danny Rand's personal life
>He has super strength and flaming hands
>He has some measure of hypnotic ability
>Has personally fought The Thing, of the Fantastic Four

Some of those clues don't have their relevance explained just yet, but there's enough for you to figure out how imposter's true identity...

So, did you see THIS coming?

And NOW you can freely look back to

>Written, penciled, winked and lettered by Jon Byrne

So save coloring, Byrne made this entire issue himself.

Well, at least you can say he doesn't have small goals.

Haha, time for Frank.

For those who don't remember, Meachum was in jail after he was caught helping Master Khan, who was involved with, at the very least, a coup to take over a country.

Man, this is pretty fucking evil, even for him.

She's probably a Skrull, who's a shapeshifter. I'd think that could work.

Yeah, but the Fantastic Four have beaten YOU in the past too, remember?

Wow, they're actually keeping some Silver Age silliness as canon.

And there goes recurring Iron Fist villain. I don't believe he ever comes back.

>"I will alert my fellow Avengers."

You should probably give the FF a heads up too, you know?

So yeah, Skrulls totally have genders. I don't know who let Vaughan get away with that "Skrulls have one gender only" thing that so many people still think is canon.

All right Anons, that's it for tonight, see you tomorrow to see more of the Iron Fist mystery revealed!

> Marrs

@:-{|}

>Byrne made this entire issue himself
If memory serves, this was some of the first computer lettering in a Big Two comic book. He didn't do too shitty a job of it, either.

Not the first time Byrne uses the super skrull in this way. He did a pastiche of the Thing with Sasquatch in Alpha Flight fighting the SS in an arctic base

At his heyday Byrne was pretty much doing half of everything at marvel, or so it seemed. Dude was a machine.

He was also one of the first to bring back obscure trivia from really old issues into continuity

>He is even reputed to have had some intercourse with the mutant X-Men
I thought he was pure!

bump

Yup.

Who's Kevin? Don't tell me Ka-zar's real name is Kevin??

Kevin Plunder is his birth name, yeah.

It's hilarious how sad she is, considering what a bullet she dodged.

Ward Meachum would've been just a tad out of place, but it's funny how the Super Skrull was being completely legit

Yup, Kevin of the Jungle.

burp

When does the BBC show up

Who?