/who/ - Doctor Who General

tfw Hartnellchad edition

What haven't you watched the entire Hartnell era, /who/? Yes, including recons. There's still time before Christmas.

Wearing a bit thin

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DVXo4y7VTCw
twitter.com/Andydrewz/status/882203162551234564
strawpoll.me/13353107
eyespider.org.uk/drwho/wh/list.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5M_6f6tRR7s
youtube.com/watch?v=eRGxGtdUxLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=C9Bx_u68ZxM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=DVXo4y7VTCw
reminder

>tfw The 12th Doctor Mentioned Donald Trump by name and noted he was "inevitable"

twitter.com/Andydrewz/status/882203162551234564

Now that the dust has settled who is the best incarnation of the Master?

strawpoll.me/13353107

Watching it all is easy mode. Real Hartnellchads go through all the 1st Doctor stories, even the noncanon ones like Auld Mortality.
eyespider.org.uk/drwho/wh/list.html

What did he mean by this? Also what did he mean by that whole speech? It seemed like he was just rambling. Whether the Cybermen are inevitable didn't have much to do with what was happening onscreen.

You might be a Doctor, but I am the Doctor. The definite article, you might say.

The Master implied he was the sole creator of the Cybermen. The Doctor just told him that they happen everywhere and he ain't shit

I haven't seen much of Classic Who, and now with the 6 month wait until the Christmas Special, it seems like a good idea to give it another go. I've only seen Tomb of the Cybermen and Spearhead in Space. I'd love to watch some Tom Baker to see why he was so much-loved in the day, but I'll rely on your opinions.

So what are the best Classic episodes in your opinion? Anything from Hartnell to McCoy.

>who is the best
I love them all.

It was blasting the "Mondas and Cybus Cybermen are completely different monsters" argument by saying "You know what? Mondas and Telos Cybermen are different too! Oh, and that comic where the Voord become Cybermen? That's canon. Let's see the TARDIS wiki handle that!"

New TARDIS set for Series 11 onwards. Not sure if it'll be a remodelling of the current one or completely brand new, but change is a'comin'. More if/when I get it.

Thank christ, we've had Capaldi's for three seasons and it was just a slightly altered version of Smith's second one. I'm really sick of it.

Probably completely new, along with a new opening, I bet. Was to be expected with the change of the showrunner.
Here's to hoping the music will be something like this
youtube.com/watch?v=5M_6f6tRR7s

Well Trump kind of WAS inevitable given the political climate in the US. Ignore large chunks of a country for too long and they'll vote against the establishment. It's the same thing with Brexit. It's inevitable that if you ignore the interests of a very large group of people, sooner or later they will bite you in the ass with something terrible (to the establishment at least)

1st Doctor - The Crusade, Marco Polo
7th - Battlefield

see Basically this yes. Cybermen are inevitable. Human-like species opting to "cyber-up" because of disease or war or whatever is inevitable. It's happened on several planets on several occasions because of several reasons. The Cybermen are inevitable.

The Trump joke was Moffat trying to be funny and topical and it was a stupid decision. Even if the Doctor was rambling because of the situation he was in, why the hell would he go with a stupid election mistake made on Earth in 2017. Just Moff trying to be cool.

The Enemy of the World
Inferno
Pyramids of Mars
Caves of Androzani

It's too associated with Capaldi/Coleman now, and Chibnall really does want a clean break away from the past. If he's gunna breathe new life into the whole thing, a lot of cosmetic changes are needed. The console room, I'd expect, will be brighter for one thing and a little more fun.

>new opening
Will it finally be Neon Visual's time to shine?

The Time Meddler, Enemy of the World, Mind Robber, The War Games, Ambassadors of Death, Carnival of Monsters, Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramid of Mars, Terror of the Zygons, Seeds of Doom, Talons of Weng-Chiang, Deadly Assassin, Horror of Fang Rock, City of Death, Kinda, Snakedance, Caves of Androzani, Remembrance of the Daleks, and all of Season 26.

If you can handle recons/cartoons, Power of the Daleks and Evil of the Daleks.

i member those times

Robot / Genesis / Terror of the Zygons / Planet of Evil / Pyramids of Mars / Seeds of Doom / Hand of Fear / Deadly Assassin / Robots of Death / Talons of Weng-Chiang / Fang Rock / City of Death / Traken / Logopolis IMO for 4th Doctor viewing. It cuts a large slice of his middle stuff which I don't think's very good.

Top 3 Classics IMO - Inferno (3rd) / Curse of Fenric (7th) & Resurrection of the Daleks (5th).

If you're limiting yourself to just a few eps of each, try:

1 - The Daleks & Edge of Destruction (I think of them as the same story but feel free to disagree) and The Tenth Planet
2 - Web of Fear / The Invasion
3 - Inferno (long watch) / Claws of Axos or Day of the Daleks
4 - Terror of the Zygons / Seeds of Doom
5 - Earthshock / Resurrection of the Daleks or Caves of Androzani
6 - The Two Doctors / Revelation of the Daleks
7 - Greatest Show in the Galaxy / anything from Season 26

what a fucking loser lmao

Best seasons are the first two and last two. Baker is overrated. An Unearthly Child is definitely a good place to start with Hartnell, it's still one of my favorite serials and favorite first episodes of a show in general. If it hooks you then just watch all of Hartnell, it's all GOAT except a few stories that aren't and it's better in order.

I honestly can't wait for his Doctor if it does turn out to be him (which seems likely at this point). All he'd have to do is play his Death in Paradise role and he'd be great. Bumbling, bit awkward, always losing his things, those are nice quirks for the Doctor to have in my opinion. If he plays it like DiP but adds a bit of seriousness when it's called for, he'd be great. Not too zany and random like Tennant and Smith could sometimes be, just a bit odd, but lovable

So, Marshall is basically Fifth Doctor Mk2?

Best way to even remotely have a chance of working with the show? Slag them off to fuck, come across as a petulant child, cry that everything you do is better, and post barely disguised bitterness all over the internet. Top kek, NV.

I bet he was pissed when those specially made CGI teasers for Series 10 were commissioned, since it was another YouTuber who wasn't him who got the gig.

>Clara returns to become 13s companion

Kris Marshall looks exactly like the Fifth Doctor.
I didn't like the Fifth Doctor.

Is DiP worth watching?

today I shall be talking to you out of the SQUARE WINDOW

>nv
>envee
>envy
POTTERY

it's quite comfy

Were we expecting anything less? New era with a new showrunner, a new Doctor, new companion, new writers. Of course we're getting a new TARDIS. Did anyone ever even doubt that?
The question is whether it'll be remodeled or brand new, yes. If new, please show us a bit more, make it a bigger set. Just for once I'd like to see someone go downstairs, open a door and get something from a corridor or something. The TARDIS is supposed to be infinitely huge, just give us a bit more than a small set.

Whenever I feel sad all I have to do is remember this etc.

H-hello, grandfather!

I wanted to thank you for rescuing me for the hundredth time today but I wasn't sure on how to repay you for it!

Well, now I know exactly how to do it!

youtube.com/watch?v=eRGxGtdUxLQ
Capaldi confirms:
>He seems to want to die before the regeneration cycle begins

Out of all the people I've heard proposed for the 13th Doctor, Kris is the only one that I'm actively opposed to. I don't even know why but I'll be really disappointed and discouraged if it is him.

>Clara, I'm not your boyfriend
>I never thought you were
>I didn't say it was your mistake

What did he mean by this?

If they move on from this TARDIS set after Christmas, we will have had it for exactly 5 years (it was introduced at Christmas 2012, The Snowmen).

what moffats saying is frightening me now
I don't want another god damn end of time

He's accusing 11 of thinking he was Clara's boyfriend.

It's a very good show. I love detectives and murder mysteries so I could be biased. Then again, having watched hundreds of detective/murder mystery shows I can honestly say DiP is great and ranks up there with the best. Great writing, great characters, great plots, but not only that, it's genuinely funny, it's light-hearted, and it somehow doesn't get old even though every episode is set on an unspecified large island in the Caribbean.

11 wanted a piece of those pancakes.

Remov moffat

DOCTORS ARE NOT REQUIRED

That's a good amount of time. I think TARDIS interiors should last longer than Doctors.

It's not going to be an End of Time, it's going to be the antithesis of that. Because instead of an entire story of "YOU WILL DIE AT THE END OF THIS EPIC ADVENTURE! o no i don't wanna die :,(", we've already had the epic adventure where he dies at the end, and next we have a whole story specifically to deal with his reluctance to regenerate and presumably resolve it.

But the way Moffat presents it it's even worse than 10. I'd love it if he was just so fucked by life that he doesn't want to live anymore. But what we have is that he doesn't want to live as another incarnation, and would rather die than give a shot to another Doctor. It's even more selfish.

Okay, I will. After the Christmas special

This episode reminded me of why I ship Master/Doctor so hard.

Missy dying without the Doctor knowing that she had changed her mind at the end went straight to the fucking heart. And now the Doctor will always remember that time when the Master converted his best friend into a cyberman and betrayed him.

Fuck me.

>BBC has released a statement saying that Chris Chibnall, the showrunner of Doctor Who-to-be, has been murdered and then set on fire while celebrating his birthday. In light of these unfortunate events, Steven Moffat, the current showrunner, has agreed to stay in that position for another thousand years. More news at 11.

The 13th Doctor will be Olivia Colman, and we'll have to deal with her cheekbones for the next five years.

>And now the Doctor will always remember that time when the Master converted his best friend into a cyberman
In hindsight, he wasn't very mad about that. And neither was Bill really. His speech trying to appeal to the Master (which was great) was even targeted at Simm's Master.

I'd like a return to the Fifth, and I can see Marshall echoing Davison's style while putting his own twist on it. I want a better outfit though (celery, really?).

Speaking of outfits, I know many of you like how Capaldi's wasn't that distinct and that he changed his clothes quite often (Capaldi said himself that he did this on purpose when choosing an outfit so that children could dress up as the Doctor more easily). But I'd like the next Doctor to have a very specific look and to stick with it. Nothing too flashy and burning to the eyes like 5 and especially 6, but just something unique that doesn't change much. Like 10 who had two suits he interchanged once every so often, or my favourite, 11, who only changed his bow tie sometimes but kept his core, recognisable outfit throughout his run (except when we wore that long overcoat that one time).

Anyone agree? I like my Doctor to stay in one costume, not to change every week or two.

Simm Master's replied was fucking great.

>look up some info on it
>stumble onto the the fact that the main character dies in S3 and is replaced by marshall
>no longer have a desire to watch the show knowing that tweest

She'd be a great choice.

In spite of it going wrong, I think the Doctor will still always hold out that bit of hope for the Master, just like he holds out hope for everything else.

>It parallels what Bill is saying. "If I can't be me, I don't want to live."
I was just thinking that.

Simm Master's reply was fucking great.

His speech was stilted, like almost every Moffat speech.

And now neither do we.

Simm's everything was fucking great. I wish we got more of this more subdued and less hypercharged version of him.

That reply was the only time I really felt he resembled the Master from RTD's run.

where is your self-awareness user

Remember a couple years ago when we thought John Simm hated Doctor Who and never wanted to come back?

the part where he gets mad about his face being called round and wheels the doctor to the edge of the building to show him "his city" felt pretty fucking RTD era master-like to me

why didn't they film gomez's head talking at the appropriate angle so the face looked 3D instead of a flat cardboard cutout?

>I didn't like the Fifth Doctor.

So is it vanity or suicidal thoughts?

Exactly. Moffat clearly hated how RTD dealt with 10's regeneration. He'd never say it in an interview, but his quips about "I dun wanna go" show it clearly. Because regeneration is not death, it's the next step. Tennant treated it like death saying "and some other bloke just comes swaltering in", forgetting that that "bloke" would still remember everything Ten remembered.
Capaldi's case is different because he's sick of shit. While Ten didn't want to die because he liked being Ten and "didn't wanna go", Capaldi doesn't want to regenerate, he wants to die. He's subduing the generation because he's had enough, he thinks it's time for the Doctor to die.

Of course, during Christmas Hartnell and Capaldi will have a good old chat, exchanging stories. Capaldi will convince Hartnell that he should regenerate because of all the lives, planets, universes he will save in the future. Then Hartnell will realise this and convince Capaldi to carry on that trend. Then Capaldi accepts it, gets over his death wish and regenerated calmly, knowing that the legacy of the Doctor will go on to his next form, who will go on to do good in the universe.
At least, that's what I think the Special will be all about.

No. I remember silly people thinking that and posting pictures that proved otherwise.

I do remember a couple of years ago where most people seemed to hate his Master.

It looks a lot more freakish and cartoony the way they did it, it was probably on purpose.

Five is my least favorite. He just seems bland compared to the rest. What's his distinctive character besides "old soul in a young man's body who likes cricket"?

Now that her return is confirmed, how do you think they'll handle her return. She was overpowered as fuck as a companion. Now essentially a Doctor 2.0....

>That scene where she shows up both doctors with greater know-how of stuff no human should be able to comprehend
>That scene where both doctors argue about an issue with their tardis, only for Clara to fix it effortlessly
>That scene where somebody approaches the three of them, showering someone with praise and tall tales from their exploits across the universe, calling them hero they've been waiting for to come save them, only to ignore the doctor and head straight to Clara, oblivious to either doctor.
>That scene where she refers to them as her companions

Why did Moffat do this to us?

Is this a Time Lord /who/?

expectation
>clara's scenes are about her accepting her death right before going back to gallifrey

reality
>it'll be a hallucination where she says no more than a sentence, like amy for 11

It's a Clara echo.

He wants his OC do not steal to be the best at everything

I would expect it to be a mental image of her akin to Heaven Sent. I think it might be a bit weird if she somehow tracked down the location of his regeneration and actually flew over there.

Since the Doctor won't remember her, it'll be some pretty small shit.

>Now that her return is confirmed
W-what...?

>Amy and Rory got old and died
>Clara became a zombie
>Bill turned into a puddle

Maybe he's playing #5. Maybe he's regenerating into lookalikes of himself from now on, hence Baker's cameo in Day of the Doctor.

Thanks, user.

Cheers, I've heard of those a lot. Thinking of watching Pyramids. Androzani is also supposed to be really good I've heard. Isn't that 5th's regeneration story?

That is a lot to take in, thanks man. That's a good list of Tom Baker stories to check out. Like I said, I wanna see what all the hype was about. Heard he was drunk on set a lot near the end though, is that noticeable?

Also that list of good episodes per Doctor is great, thanks. That way I can check out all the Classic Doctors in a well-received story of theirs and decide if I want to delve more into a specific Doctor.

One more thing, why am I hearing "anything from Season 26" from everyone? If it's that amazing that everyone I ask says I should definitely watch it, why the hell did DW get cancelled after what seems to be its most popular Classic season?

>mild mannered
>struggling to understand/act as a father figure to his younger companions
>morally self-righteous (more than other Doctors)
>maintaining dignity and class in the face of adversity
>struggles to be taken seriously because of his youthful appearance
I bet you like Tom Baker

Lmfao

1. Time Meddler and Tenth Planet
2. The Invasion and War Games
3. Everything. Pertwee is the GOATest. If you want a few maybe check out the Time Warrior (First Sontaran story) and Terror of the Autons (first Master story)
4. Baker's earlier seasons were the best imo. Check out Genesis of the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons, Pyramids of Mars, Brain of Morbius, The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
5. Caves of Androzani
6. The Two Doctors
7. Was pretty comfy, his early stories are all considered shit but I like most of them. They have a certain camp feel that just seems right. Paradise Towers, Remembrance of the Daleks, Happiness Patrol, Curse of Fenric.

For 12th's final goodbye, they're bringing back the best character of nu-who so far!!!!

Excited!?!?!

It's already been confirmed by the beeb user!!

>Heard he was drunk on set a lot near the end though, is that noticeable?
Oh God, yes. He was also in a really volatile relationship with Romana's actor, so there are tons of scenes where the characters refuse to talk to each other.

>why the hell did DW get cancelled after what seems to be its most popular Classic season?
Because it got shitty ratings at the time. A general consensus is that the old show never really healed from the 1986 hiatus, and got axed just when it was finally starting to shake that shit off.

i hope she flash the pusy

>only recommend one or two stories for 1, 2, and 5
>recommends all of 3's era

How has no-one recommended The Mind Robber (2nd) to you yet? It's fantastic!

>why the hell did DW get cancelled after what seems to be its most popular Classic season?
The cancellation was sort of a long time coming. The popularity of the series and its standing in UK culture had been so damaged and diminished after the endless string of fuckups throughout the tail end of the JNT era, that even though the writers brought their A game for the final couple of seasons and especially 26, it was at too late a moment and the bastard BBC controller Michael Grade seized his opportunity like a vampire to kick the show in the gonads anyway.

I can't because several serials are lost

youtube.com/watch?v=C9Bx_u68ZxM

You idiot. I've been trying to get people in here to watch DiP ever since the Marshall rumours took off. Why did you post this?
It's still a great show, with Ben Miller in the first two series and Marshall in the other four. I've been trying to get people to watch it from the start because it's so good, but people want to step in on S3 when Marshall first appears.
Anyway twist or not, it's still very enjoyable. The very first episode has an amazing twist as well.
But go ahead and start with Marshall if you want, but you'll miss out on a lot of character development from the side characters which is all really good and funny stuff.