Shouldn't he have known something was up when he was a green belt for 5 years? He should have had a black belt by then

Shouldn't he have known something was up when he was a green belt for 5 years? He should have had a black belt by then.

Probably just figured that's how things always were, or that his sensei was being hard on him.
He wouldn't know better, and he isn't the smartest kid when a random guy can pretend to be a foreign exchange student.

Alright, I've never seen this, but as a martial artist I object to the premise that after x length of time you should have automatically reached x belt. That's something you earn. True staying at one level for years is kind of ridiculous. Logically he should have advanced. But it is entirely possible that he just sucks ass enough not to have earned advancement. And or is not good enough to have earned advancement to black. I am not saying its not bullshit to be geeen for five years, im saying there is absolutely no garentee after five years he would be a black belt, unless its some shitty american pay to advance school that doesnt actually care about the martial art. Alright loyal fans of whatever this shit is, have at me.

But he's supposed to be legit decent at karate even though his sensei is a poser. He certainly cares about it enough that he's having nightmares about being stuck at green belt. Karate is sort of his thing. Star has magic, he has karate.

His reason for being stuck at green was due to the fact that his 'sensei' learned karate from some vhs tapes and the red belt volume got stuck in his VCR. Personally, I would have quit and had sex with star but, for whatever reason, he didn't leave his fake sensei and was awarded a red belt at the end of the episode after they got a copy of the red belt tape.

>unless its some shitty american pay to advance school that doesnt actually care about the martial art.

Give what we saw with the Tentacle episode where that little rich shit was a black belt I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Wait? That's why he's still a green belt? I haven't seen any of the new season. That's retarded, but kind of funny.

Well ok then. I still can't say wethere or not he deserves a black belt, or what degree of black belt he may deserve, but yeah, that's a pretty bullshit reason to stay green. Like I said I don't know the show.

...Alright, forgive the autism, but why is it always karate? I mean whenever anyone thinks martial arts they think karate. I can't tell you how many times people said to me some thing like "oh, so you know karate? ". It used to really piss me off that karate, an admittedly well know but otherwise unspectacular martial art, was synonymous with martial arts and as far as the general populace was concerned seemed to be the only one that existed.

I think it's always karate because it was a popular style of martial arts for competition in the west. It's not really too complex or difficult to learn and it has an easy to follow grading system. Not to mention movies like karate kid and being shrouded in easily westernized eastern mysticism. It sort of became the budget badass factory martial art.

Fair enough. Its just always been a pet peeve if mine.

He's saving money for it. Can't move up in rank if you can't afford it

> That's retarded, but fucking hilarious
ftfy

I can understand. Believe me.

This isn't a show you should be trying to find real-life parallels to.
Also, there's an episode that mistakenly identifies his style of karate as Tang Soo Do, which is a Korean martial art, not karate.
Most modernized Eastern martial arts aren't practical for real world fighting anyway, and a kid taking karate lessons certainly wouldn't be able to take on super-powered aliens even if he were a fifth-degree blackbelt regardless.

Isn't karate also one of the few martial arts with no actual real world application?

I'm not saying it's completely pointless in a street fight but doesn't it focus a lot more on stances and prep rituals that would be completely hindering in an actual fight.

I know Krav Maga is a martial art based in actual street fighting, but I read quite a few places that said karate didn't actually teach you self defense

Karate has punches and kicks. If you punch or kick someone that's attacking you... It'll hurt.

Most Eastern martial arts aren't practical. Arguing that it's practical because it has movements that can result in physical pain is like saying that I'm a potential killing machine because I have a driver's license, and since I have the ability to hit someone with a car that makes me a force to be reckoned with.
Or that because ballet has running and jumping, and if you run or jump into someone that's attacking you, it'll hurt.

It's not that bad, some of it is still applicable. The problem with karate is that it's become a tournament martial art. This isn't like an official term or anything, just how I classify things personally, but there are practical application martial arts and then tourney arts. Karate is very much a tournament/demonstration art. A lot of it is perfectly reasonable...if your both following the same rule book. Realistically your not going to sit there at optimal distance trading blows, which is what happens in tournaments (made possible by protective padding). Kicks above the waist are key in tournament arts. IRL they tend to be impractical, a good way to get your leg caught since your bringing it up where their hands can get at it. Kicks to the knee are much more reasonable. On a related note, Tourney arts don't take advantage of the bodies vulnerabilities. They pretty much hammer at the torso, not even the right places on the torso like the solar plexus or the floating ribs, just the torso in general since in a tournament point system anywhere on the torso is worth the same amount. They tend to be pretty rigid and telegraphed. As of or the reliance on forms, forms themselves are not necessarily bad, it's a good way to get used to the motions and build muscle memory if you do it right, you just need to practice with another person and translate that into workable technique.

>why is it always karate?
Partially because US marines stationed in Okinawa really liked it, and partially because of this movie.

Well define "Practical". In a ring fight, eastern martial arts are fine. It's just when you bring in things like weapons and ignoring the belt line it's an issue. At that point, any style that teaches tricks how to hit harder may be better, like boxing.
Of course one could argue the body discipline with eastern martial arts counts.

Well, if you want practical then take up boxing and some sort of grappling art.

Most places teach a sports version of the martial art, sort of like boxing. But, most martial arts have their origins in very real practical styles of combat taught to people who actually fought. Many of the "impractical" moves have origins in shit you can only do in a battlefield, like that crazy high kick meant to dismount people from horses that only looks cool now (And most people don't even know it's purpose).

Martial arts tend to have weapon use, it's just not taught to people in mcdojos.

I've been in my share of street fights and my dad's boxing training proved better than my uncle's Tae Kwon Do training since people fight with their fists more at close range than with kicks at 6ft away.

And of course there are people you never engage in street fights with, like crazy people and magicians

I know, but not weapons like concealable knives or guns.

It's a cartoon where silliness and absurdity is part of the joke. Stop being autistic.

It's almost like that was the joke

Kicks are more of a way to get reach over someone else's weapon. You don't want to be standing right next to a guy with sword after your spear broke.