Does it ruin the movies?

does it ruin the movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

tehparadox.com/forum/f75/kk650s-list-available-releases-7028193/#post13341918
cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html
dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-matrix-visual-comparison.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_neuroscience
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

literally yes and all i want is some autist to make the extended blurays look normal again

I kind of like it.
The green filter gives the movie more of a dream-like feel.

I don't notice it outside of any scene in the mountain. That being said i'd prefer to have an 'original' version included as well to watch.

tehparadox.com/forum/f75/kk650s-list-available-releases-7028193/#post13341918

but TPX is down right now, not sure if dead
You can also do some digging, it's called "regrading"

Yes.
But it depends on the movie. It worked great for Matrix.

For comparison, here's the same scene without the filter.
Yeah I'm probably "autistic", but I feel that this looks too "realistic".
Tiny details like the flowers and shrubs by Bilbo's door look less like part of the scenery, and more like something hand-picked by a set designer, which really starts to break my immersion.

Fun fact: movie makers do color grading as a visual shorthand to enhance the feeling of the movie. Green is often used to convey a dream-like state, such as when characters are in the matrix and not in the real world.

cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html

You said it yourself, you're probably autistic. That's not how immersion works at all

You realise the movie is color graded on a scene by scene basis, right? The green tinge is literally only there during the shire scenes. They didn't just slap a single filter on the entire thing.

The second one looks better I think, that's how flowers look they stand out. Things have different colors and knowing how to use them well should be a filmmakers talent.
I don't like it when everything looks blue or green or orange. Let colors be different goddamnit.

You should only be watching the theatrical version of Fellowship anyway. It's perfect.

Except they did, to varying degrees ofcourse, but they did.

Just like they fucked Matrix with a green tint

What point are you trying to make?

The bluray colors are a replication of the theatrical version. It's the DVD color grading that's fucked.

Talking about Matrix here just for clarification

gives it a hot summer feel

this looks more like the Snyder version

They didn't though. The contrast was adjusted and grading was applied to specific scenes to enhance the presence of greens and blues. They didn't slap a filter on the entire film.

That no one on this board understands color grading

>Just like they fucked Matrix with a green tint
ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID OR THIS IS THE WORST BAIT EVER?

>"you want your movie to look like it was drowned in stale piss? No problem."

But that color grade is the point, to look almost like a computer generated dream.
Without the color grade it looks like a run of the mill TV show.

Green makes things seem computer generated? I'm not sure I agree with that logic. The crappy 3D Smith models in the Burly Brawl are what make it seem computer generated.

Green tint looks good, HD makes the shire look too real

The blue tint in the mountains looks shit though & the overly brown tint in the council scene was a bit too much also

Yes, this pic looks more like a dream or some "other" dimension with that color grade and it ties in with the iconic matrix green code. Without the color grade that shot would look like a TV show of keanu reeves standing in some whatever room.

Do you think the point of every film is to look as realistic and "pretty" as possible?

no this looks more like the snyder version

>tfw I am one the only few people wo got the fullhd rip without that shitty filter

woah

I'm not sure that removing the grading would detract too much from the movie and the message.

here is the original movie and pre-bluray-release version

why do they do this?

the one people who were responsible for the blu-ray release did this dogshit, it was never intended orignially

To add to the atmosphere of the narrative. Both left and right frames have color grades over it, someone just thought that the original color grade was not good enough so they changed it.

I for one think that both versions don't look particularly good in that exact scene, the left is clearly way too hard on the blue/green hues and the right looks like a 1980 desert movie like A New Hope.

>the message
what that matrix = green? You realize this wasn't in the theatrical release right? They already had subtle hints with the green palette but then they just slapped an even greener filter over the matrix scenes so people could remember OH YEAH THEY ARE IN THE MATRIX NOW CUZ ITS GREEN
dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-matrix-visual-comparison.html

they changed them to be in line with the trilogy

Color grade threads are the worst, completely embarassing really.

And yet here you are.

lol you haven't seen shitposting if you think this even scratches the surface of terrible threads

I've been told filters are added to movies in remasters to fix lighting issues but honestly having everything tinted one color sticks out way more to me.

>to fix lighting issues
i don't think that's right, you can adjust the brightness/contrast/saturation of individual colours in editing software, no need to slap one colour over everything to fix lighting

Understanding it doesn't make it look like not shit.

You do realize that basically every movie from 2000 till now has a color grade?

You've been told wrong.
Also grading is not just slapping on a static instagram filter over the whole film and calling it a day, they work in detail with every single scene and do work on specific regions of the frame also.
If you saw a raw unprocessed RAW file of any digital camera you would think it looks grey flat absolute shit, but they have to shoot that way to retain all the information for the color to be brought up exactly how you want in post without losing anything.

So in that respect would the Black and Chrome version of Mad Max (or even Logan Noir) be considered a form of color grading? I know they put a lot of work into tweaking levels on that.

This man knows

Yes, ofcourse, you don't turn a color film to black and white with a single click, there are countless combinations and shades of black/grey/white, highlights contrasts etc. And you can see that the filter isn't constant in the night scene of Fury Road most easily.

LOL

this fucking rages me, delete this

unfiltered is way better. The greenery actually has colour to it without the filter. The image looks fresher and less dated as well.

EHL OH EHL

with the Matrix the filter is really what gave the film it's character. It's supposed to make the scenes seem somewhat unreal, mystical, strange. It sets the tone and style, becomes the films signature look.

haha

>he was in the light
>he is in the dark now
>this parallels Lucas' inner turmoil
The pottery never ends

No it wasn't, kid - jesus, this filter garbage is bad enough without your lies. There was no 'green tint' in the original Matrix when released...this garbage has all been added just to to gloss over the shit that HD picks up these days, normal shit that autistic normies can't handle seeing on their big screens..

I don't care it looks like SHIT

Original is overexposed
Original looks better

This is why Lucas is and always will be a hack

>more film grain than in the original

how in the fuck?

>People will actually defend the filter, even after seeing these comparisons......mfw.

Is the green filter in the standard edition blu-rays?

>sequels to movies suck ass
>change the original that didn't suck to be more like the sequels

>more film grain
No, it's just that the lower saturation makes his skin tone less even

Viola

I knew it. I had an argument with a friend that the first one didn't look like green piss and he brought up that it's how it looks on netflix too, so it must be it.

About these fan regrade projects:

They have inferior image quality compared to the commercial release. In order to shift the color balance in the direction they need there will be a loss of information, usually resulting in blown out highlights or crushed blacks. There is not much wiggle room when you are working with a finished video file, much like trying to regrade a .jpg image.

If fans somehow got access to the raw video files or original film it would be a different story.

look at the chair behind him or at Vader, there is definitely more visual noise in the 2011 version

how they managed to fuck up the transfer with all their funds is beyond me

>muh highlights
>muh histogram
But sometimes it's good to blow out things out and have some pitch black areas to get good contrast and the elusive 3d effect.

Someone post an image and I will try to grade it to neutral color.

oh my god. fuck george lucas.

Every movie from 2000 to 2017 looked like shit?

>neutral color
What did he mean by this?

white is white, black is black

Already done.

How do you know what color the objects in an image should be? Cameras don't shoot color exactly as it's seen in person.

Every movie you watch since the beginning of the digital era, and even a lot before them is color graded in some capacity

Welp, now I can't watch the extended version anymore.

I thought the theatrical blu ray for LOTR was the bad transfer and the Extended Blu ray looked more like the one in theaters, this thread has it backwards

I remember thinking in the theater that the greenery looked like just like my backyard.
Some of the grass just looks dead

I don't. There is no guarantee neutral coloring is accurate.

Remember the theatrical colors aren't the same as the DVD colors, or the Blu-ray colors. Apparently the blu ray version is closer to the theatrical version, in some respects

Also I pulled this together in a span of about 2 minutes

Traffic was literally and unironically unwatchable. What the FUCK we're they thinking.
>DUDE WASHINGTON IS IN THE NORTH SO ITS BLUE LMAO
>DUDE MEXICO IS SOUTHERN SO ITS ORANGE LMAO
>DUDE LA IS HALF WAY BETWEEN SO THERES NO HEADACHE INDUCING FILTER LMAO

The filter was so strong it literally removed all other colour. It was like a filter put over black and white

Also already very close to neutral.

fine, remove the orange filter from Geonosis now

Doesn't it make sense for an environment like that to be orange tho

extended for all of them or nothing

Extended has some fun stuff and some nicer world building moments but also some shit that should have stayed cut.

HES GOT MAH AX EMBEDDED IN HIS NARVOUS SYSTEM? the fuck?, they do not know what a nervous system is, they utterly lack modern anatomical and medical knowledge. this is just flinging aside the basic assumptions of the story for the sake of cheap gag.

Witch king breaking Gandalf's staff? Are you fucking kidding me

Thats just the dust

>they utterly lack modern anatomical and medical knowledge

you don't know that for certain, the Ancient Greeks knew about the nervous system

>Witch king breaking Gandalf's staff? Are you fucking kidding me
Huh? Facing down the Witch King at the gates was the hardest thing Gandalf the White had to do - and he technically only held his ground because the Witch King had to deal with Theoden. Not sure why you're incredulous.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_neuroscience
>During the 4th century BC Aristotle thought that, while the heart was the seat of intelligence, the brain was a cooling mechanism for the blood. He reasoned that humans are more rational than the beasts because, among other reasons, they have a larger brain to cool their hot-bloodedness.[3]

Literally hotheads.

Agreed

Saruman "washing away" was cringe worthy

>Tiny details like the flowers and shrubs by Bilbo's door look less like part of the scenery, and more like something hand-picked by a set designer, which really starts to break my immersion.

I'm sorry but that's absolutely retarded.

>Obi Wanben Kenobi directly under a pillar of light
>Darth Vader in the shadows
Fuck I miss George Lucas

color grading is inevitable these days

but when they color grade older films this is just fucking insulting. recent 4k of good bad and ugly got a piss filter.

companies ruin older films again and again

not even weeb shit is safe.

That can't be real. What the fuck?

oh it is real my man

just fuck my one of the greatest films of all time F A M

WHY THE FUCK