Real Character Design

Marvel is receiving well deserved backlash at their heavy-handed approach to diversity and as a Black man myself, I agree with the dissenters. Not because I oppose of a diversity push, (although I'm not a fan of affirmative action applied to the arts) but because almost all of the characters that are made because of the mandates are boring and safe as shit. America's PC/SJW culture prevents anything interesting being made without triggering someone.

Most stereotypes exist because there are people out there that fit them. In a world filled to the brim with magical artifacts, mad science and alien technology, ALL happening in metropolitan cities btw, why is it that no one but the tamest of ANY race, White included, get superpowers or fall into situations that place them in contact with the supernatural? Garth Ennis' The Pro and McDuffie's Milestone universe are examples of the kinds of situations we don't see in comics anymore that would statistically happen a lot. Although The Pro was satire, the concept was unique and interesting. If you're going to push diversity, diversify the character archetypes you are willing to portray.

nigger

>The "Somewhat stoic black male"

Good point. It is pretty clear that Marvel once had a mandate that all characters have flaws regardless of skin color that they have long since abandoned.

Fuck, I forgot to inb4

I feel like that a reason people like Claremont's writing so much. Everyone felt more real.

It's the difference between original Luke Cage and Bendis Cage.

I think the Netflix show will capture the best of both worlds.

Just to add a little more to the thread, I think that this guy's Trill League is entertaining to people is because it uses underutilized and fun stereotypes. I think this is the reason why DC has done jack shit with the Milestone IPs because they aren't cookie cutter and "inoffensive."

I think they all wrote like that from the FF on, for every character, really. I don't think anyone thought of handling POC characters differently until post bankruptcy.

Cunt

>I think this is the reason why DC has done jack shit with the Milestone IPs because they aren't cookie cutter and "inoffensive."
Nah, iirc they just lost the licensing rights about 2 years ago.

Their too scared because most writers are white and any slip up leads to a case of the isms.

And to be fair most of these guys in Marvel just wouldn't be able to write those kinds of characters, as they just have zero clue about that world.

I agree, I'm pretty tired of the child prodigy archetype. This new Iron Chick, Amadeus Cho, Toyman 2.0, etc etc. Or "child with secret legacy and special powers" like America Chavez. One of the reasons I liked Jaime Reyes was that he was just a normal kid. Peter Parker used to be a more or less normal kid, book smart, but over time they kept creeping his intelligence levels until someone wrote about how Peter had the same IQ as Reed when he was young.

This was why I was excited for Coates being contracted but then I realized it's the same problem because they put him on Black Panther and I' sure Coates knows jack shit about being African royalty. I would have liked to see Coates on Luke Cage or Blue Marvel instead. You KNOW he's going to go down the race path so give him a valid vehicle for that message.

Stereotypes tend to be as strong and clear-cut as characterizations go. We want to get a good grip on a character and see them thrust into various situations. Then we try and predict how the character will act. Sometimes we predict it accurately, sometimes the writer goes further than we expected, and sometimes our expectation totally subverted.

If the character is basically just a human being, that kind of connection with the character is missing.

>black
>not liberal

You don't count as black.

I'm a social liberal that wants to vote Bernie, thinks Hillary doesn't deserve shit and that Trump makes good points.

>as a Black man myself

Okay that's definitely not true but since I agree with the sentiment might as well let it slide

Yeah, you can tell Sup Forums agrees because nobody has said "nobody cares if you're black stop identity politics!".

>Blue Marvel

but he's shit, sentry is better and he's sentry.

>black
>not liberal

lol token Blackie. Let me guess why y'all doing dis, for the "WE WUZ CAPESHIT AND SHIET!!!!!!!!!"

Either that or your not black, you either a self hating white or a jew.

So far the only concepts shown is a black nigress with a microphone for hair, im guessing she got a bad attitude to go with that?

And the other, litterally Tyrone?

lol, litterally stereotypes! So i guess they be true yo? huh?

I think the best representation of race in superhero shit is Static shock. They had "tame" people like Virgil and Richie, as well as megaspics like Falin and niggers like Rubberbandman

This is one of the few times where the OP's ethnicity matters. I only stated that I was black to point out the anecdotal evidence that black people don't give a fuck about token representation.

This new Mosiac character might fit the bill, even if they're being creepy about it. The beautiful comment might make sense if he's super narcissistic about his looks.

I'll be honest I miss Milestone not only did they have cool characters they had a great philosophy "hey minorities are under represented in comics lets make some new minority characters that are actually interesting" whereas comics today are "hey minorities are under represented in comics lets make Captain America a black dyke midget amputee"

Yep. Those are McDuffie characters. I wish we could revive him or get our hands on some manuscripts or something.

I agree one-hundred percent, Static is a way more interesting black Spider-Man than Miles.

There's other ways to that than stereotypes though. And after a while stereotypes get predictable, especially in the hands of lazy writers.

I'd rather see writers try different types of personalites and worry less about how easy they are to self insert into or being inoffensive.

You're one of the good ones, OP

I believe that if you presented this to black people more would agree with it than not.

Be great if DC just started putting in white minorites instead. Various eastern europeans, pale asians, south americans.

DC had great diversity without shouting about it. In the last ten years things have switched round and honestly I blame silver age boners like Johns

We need a Ghost Dog type street level hero

there are already tons. the issue is, is unless you make them wear a flag or speak in a thick accent, you can't tell them from a random white.

If more whites still lived in the city and not suburbs or rural areas, there would probably also be more white heroes surfacing, I'd imagine.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up before, but has anyone considered that the increased likelihood of new comic heroes being black (in this day and age) is due to the circumstances associated more than anything?

Like, black people in the U.S. typically would have to develop a vigilante alter ego to stop all the crime in the urban areas they typically live in.

Kamala is best Minority Spider-man

Best "current" minority Spider-Man. Static blows Kamala out of the water.

Coates is very well versed in African history and royalty actually.

I mean I guess depending on the hero. But that'd sort of implies it'd only really make sense for nonpowered vigilantes. Maybe, it just seems like a really weird idea to put forth.
It's easier to say "there's black people in cities."
>Current
Does 15 years ago count as current?

>In a world filled to the brim with magical artifacts, mad science and alien technology, ALL happening in metropolitan cities btw, why is it that no one but the tamest of ANY race, White included, get superpowers or fall into situations that place them in contact with the supernatural? G

Hate to say it's commentary on humanity, but the people that aren't tame become villains. Usually the setup is that the powers and morality are usually separate.

I think the world is a bit more complex than that. The new Chinese Superman is a dick. Social pressure and conditioning would make most people want to do good with their new abilities. Although I would like see people who get powers and go straight to getting a job that complements their new skillset. I would read a series about a super powered construction worker and workplace drama.

>I would read a series about a super powered construction worker and workplace drama.
So, Danger Control?

That would be awesome. I read that latest book with them in it and I thought that was cool.

Honestly, I think the only character I've seen that was not only passable with a race bend, but actually turned out to be one of, if not the best alt of their character was El Superman. His character worked not because they said "yeah, he's Mexican" and then ignored it for the remainder of the story. It was a part of his character and it shows in little pieces of his personality and dialogue without feeling tacked on.

Go to hell, people like you are the bane of modern politics.

You're "black," conservative or otherwise. Truthfully though, only untermensch let their ideology be dictated to them. You don't need labels to have beliefs. The labels come after.

I'm sad this isn't a real design because giant fluffy afros need to make a comeback.

>America's PC/SJW culture prevents anything interesting being made without triggering someone.

I don't think that's it. It boils down to how good the writer is. A lot of them aren't which is why they have to resort to stereotypes or make the character bland, because they don't know anything about how to write for someone from a different race, because they aren't really around those types of people.

Though, I do think that you using "PC/SJW culture" is like agreeing with what the majority who want to keep things the way they are, because it benefits them most.

Time to watch all the SJWs implode as the people they claim to champion don't agree with their politics.

It's been happening since forever and they usually just call them uncle toms or some shit and move on.
But no matter what they say, they'll never have a goatee as nice as this.

eh pretty much every sjw i know feels the same way

the ones who really are behind the whole "push for diversity" are like, idiot middle-upper management and "comics director" writers who think it will create sales/make people love them

>Though, I do think that you using "PC/SJW culture" is like agreeing with what the majority who want to keep things the way they are, because it benefits them most.
What do you men by this? I can't quite understand the syntax.

>"A modern literary intellectual lives and writes in constant dread–not, indeed, of public opinion in the wider sense, but of public opinion within his own group. As a rule, luckily, there is more than one group, but also at any given moment there is a dominant orthodoxy, to offend against which needs a thick skin and sometimes means cutting one's income in half for years on end. Obviously, for about fifteen years past, the dominant orthodoxy, especially among the young, has been "left". The key words are "progressive", "democratic" and "revolutionary", while the labels which you must at all costs avoid having gummed upon you are "bourgeois", "reactionary" and "Fascist". Almost everyone nowadays, even the majority of Catholics and Conservatives, is "progressive", or at least wishes to be thought so. No one, so far as I know, ever describes himself as a "bourgeois", just as no one literate enough to have heard the word ever admits to being guilty of antisemitism. We are all of us good democrats, anti-Fascist, anti-imperialist, contemptuous of class distinctions, impervious to colour prejudice, and so on and so forth. Nor is there much doubt that the present-day "left" orthodoxy is better than the rather snobbish, pietistic Conservative orthodoxy which prevailed twenty years ago[...]"
—George Orwell, WRITERS AND LEVIATHAN (1948)

Bump in case anyone else is interested in discussing this topic.

Most capeshit characters are too predictable or too boring or just badly written.
You notice the characters who represent those minorities are in the same situation because those characters are not that many so they have more chances to fall in that bad characterization.

>Black
>Thinks Trump has "good points"

So your one of "those" eh?

Because 9 times out of 10 they are!

>the color of a person's skin must necessarily dictates what their mental processes are, and therefore also their opinions on any given topic

That is how SJWs think, believing every "minority" is going to automatically agree with their views because they are minorities. Apparently, that isn't racist...

Countries have borders for a reason. I'm tired of my country playing "hero" and dipping it's hand into world affairs. It's harsh but, fuck refugees.

B-b-but globalism!

Anyway, I keep reading that the British Left used to be staunchly eurosceptic for the longest time, but for some odd reason they all decided they were always pro-EU before the Brexit referendum started.

One more!

they were euroSCEPTIC. It's dfferent from being anti-Euro: they didn't agree on a number or rules and limits but never thougth to actually leave the EU

Euroscepticism on the British left was a long time ago and mostly died out by the time Blair came to power.

Aryan brotherhood Cletus