This man is overrated

This man is overrated.
His prose is mediocre.
His ideas are pretty good though.

I had to google this image just to know that's Tom King. Even then I barely know who the fuck he is.

And yet he is still in the top 10% of writers currently active anyway. Be grateful we have new blood in the industry that's even a little good.

>ven then I barely know who the fuck he is.
Sup Forums flavor of the week. Kind of replaceed Ewing

>And yet he is still in the top 10% of writers currently active anyway.

Sadly, you're right.
Not that he's new but I find Tomasi to be very underrated.
The Sodam Yat SBP fight is a GOAT issue.

This man is overrated.
His prose is mediocre.
His ideas are pretty good though.

>His ideas are pretty good though.

'no'

whats the matter kid dont like the joker

But he's going bald, which is a staple of good writers so just give that hairline more time to recede, and im sure he'll put out better stuff

>it's the "Morrison is good" meme

Once again, how the fuck am I supposed to know who these faceless comic book creators are? I honestly would bet that outside of 5 or 6 creators, most people couldn't tell you what the average writer or artist looks like.

>Flex Mentallo is bad
die slow

Bane_why_are_you_here.webm

Damn, he's cute.

>I find Tomasi to be very underrated
I hear his Dark Horse comic is pretty good

I thought Cullen Bunn was bland to garbage before I checked out Harrow County.

So that's good? I've been meaning to read it, the art looks really good.

So, he's a slightly better Dan Slott? Slott is shit, his prose is terrible, but his ideas are okay.

His prose is unique, I wouldn't say mediocre. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but we're not talking Bendis levels of bad or even bland.

>I'm too lazy to google shit

Kys my man

>he is writing Batman, I have to found reasons to dislike him now

I see, it's the Snyder situation all over again

>What if everyone was Manspider?
>What if a body-switch episode went on for way too long?
>What if a buncha spider-men had to fight vampires?
>What if Pete and MJ had a shitty kid and called it Anime?

Is any current writer putting out better monthly comics than Tom King?

If just seems to have a weird affectation.

Yeah I think it's great. I've got both the trades. Tyler Crook's art is great, I love the water colors

The only thing worse than his prose is his ideas

I'd say Cullen Bunn and John Arcudi if we're only counting writers who aren't also artists

I'd say East of West, Deadly Class, and Southern Bastards are all top tier books being published at the moment.

Nah, OP's a fag.

tomasi is middle of the road dc, so middle of the road it hurts. he writes like an editor would, focusing more on retelling classic shit in a different way rather than compelling stories

Unlike novels, prose isn't everything in comics. Using prose to class comic writers is pretty retarded. You may call Coates shitty black Panther run as good for having better prose than most comics. King's storytelling and structure in Omega men was top class. Same for his other books, though not at the same level.
All of his ideas are pretty cliche. His storytelling is what makes them good.

>storytelling and structure
How much of that is the artist

Not much, since King did the symmetrical paneling. Most writers do the layouts themselves.

>talented writer writes B-list books
>Sup Forums goes nuts over them
>writer gets on A-list book
>Sup Forums turns against him

And yet people think Tynion's Detective Comics is better, despite having no plot and being fanservicebait for a bunch of characters that haven't been relevant in years

and people gave me shit for talking about THE TURN

ONE

I like them a lot. Especially in Omega Men.

>put in charge of the best selling comic your company publishes
>gave horrible artits to work with
>not allowed to use supporting characters like Damian
>not allowed to use iconic villains but only the ones no one cares about

why is DC setting him to fail after Snyder's best selling run?

One thing about his Batman run vs everything else is that he has no definite endpoint on the series: unless sales go *horribly* wrong and/or he himself quits, King isn't going to be off the book until at least issue #24, if not later than that.

Grayson was the only other "true" ongoing that he had, but I'd argue that it doesn't count because 1) Seeley co-wrote it and 2) it eventually had an end date, too, as Rebirth was coming up.

On the other hand, Omega Men, Vision, Sheriff -- at early points into their runs, it was clear they were going to end at or before #12. So, certainly, King had to go into high gear putting in information, exposition, moving the plot forward, using interesting comic techniques so as to make the "boring" parts more palatable, etc.

Batman, weirdly enough, probably offers him a bit too much freedom. So, it's no surprise that it's the least "dense" of his comics and, thus, the least satisfying.

>damage control
I don't think it is the same people. It is just the Omegafags are gone and only the detractors remain.
A good writer would be one that actually could get me interested in modern capes again. I gave King a chance, but he failed to hold my attention.

Cullen Bunn is an... interesting choice.

What has Arcudi done outside of BPRD?

I hate bothe of them!!

King is cancer.
Snyder is cancer.

it is batman.

It's because there are more characterfags than creatorfags. The latter will ultimately care more about the story and style of the telling, while the former get mad that Batman suddenly has emotions.

Arguably Mark Russell

Sheriff has an asterisk next to it in that regard. It turned into an ongoing when he signed that exclusive, so only the first arc (if that much) has that limitation attached to it.

Sup Forums being a hypocrite when it comes to pandering an audience is nothing new.

Oh shit, we've got a patrician in the house!

I only picked Bunn for Harrow County is horror comic at Dark horse, I don't even know what's he's writing for the Big 2

Right now Arcudi has Rumble at Image with James Harren from BPRD

So Harrow Count is worth checking out? I think I saw it on Comixology in the Dark Horse SCDD sale, might pick up some issues if it's actually alright, Bunn tends to be very hit and miss for me.

I would recommend buying the first issue and reading it to see if you like the series, especially if it's on sale

Nick Spencer?

IIRC, it was going to be a situation like what Prez is now: they'll finish the run, have a break for a bit, and then come back. That would effectively make it a series of minis, as opposed to a real ongoing. I mean, I get that regular arcs are kind of like a series of minis, but the big breaks inbetween make these different.

(I'm basing this off of reading between the lines with things. Gerads signed a DC exclusive, which makes me doubt he'll *only* stick to what is honestly a low-selling Vertigo title. So, I'm not convinced they'll instantly go into the second "season" of Sheriff as soon as the #12 is finished.)

Prez is the best thing DC has published in a long time
I love weird little fun random shit like that run
I wish there were more stuff like that in mainstream comics

>Tynion
ONE OF US ONE OF US

which meme is he talking about?

He doesn't specify, but it seems he was a frequent Sup Forums user eight years ago or so. He recently said Sup Forums was a bit outdated though, and he's sort of right.

>these guys probably lurk and see all the insults/negativity toward them

It must suck to be honest

Have you read the first issue of Flintstones? It's great, I'm so glad DC is keeping Mark Russell.

I'm happy that they kept all the good writers they got with DCYou. I just wish Genevieve Valentine would've done something for Rebirth too.

Nah, it's okay. Criticism's just a part of the job. This place is actually really useful for picking up ideas.

Nah. A pro writer should be able to discern actual criticism from shitposting.
I'm just sad that Bendis doesn't lurk here so he can see the Bingo and to understand how bad and predictable his writing became

>Cullen Bunn
I liked his Sixth Gun and The Damned

Yeah, Batman and Robin Eternal makes a lot of sense if you start to think about the type of circlejerk Bat-threads Sup Forums used to have years ago. All the Robin simplifications, Cass stuff, etc.

I liked his run on Moon Knight too.

I know people say it went to shit after Ellis left, but I genuinely liked Bunn's issues. The monster under the bed one was particulary memorable to me. The issues right after Ellis left were not that good though, I don't remember who wrote them.

yeah I loved it! as well as Bat-Mite and this New Super-Man
Future's Quest is cool-ish too
I like Gwenpool and Carnage too

Sup Forums turned against him when he became DC exclusive.

most people dropped it with those shitty wood issues

It's funny because I think they are total opposites in this regard. Tom King has great ideas but his prose can be stilted. Scott Snyder is a great writer stylistically but his ideas (for cape shit anyway) are often terrible (i.e. 5000 days of Joker).
I overall prefer King because his ideas don't make me roll my eyes and his prose is not bad, just needs improvement.

You would lose that bet.

It's just you who doesn't know anything.

I do.

Sup Forums as a whole hasn't turned on him, it's just people shitting on his Batman

But if w keep talking about THE TURN maybe it will never truly come

I lurk here.

Yup. Further proof that the majority of Sup Forums are butt kissing Marvel drones. They are still butthurt that King is now a DC exlusive and said to the Rodent, to go fuck themselves.

Wah, Snyder's Joker ideas were great, but execution wasn't. The rest of his ideas were copied from previous runs. I was down for a complete horror themed Batman, but Snyder had to somehow connect it to older incarnations and relationships like Joker and Bats relationship. His prose is okay, but he overwrites and overexplains shit and somehow everybody's voice feels the same, his endings are weak.

that, and "omg i can't tell what's going on without narration boxes!"