The Canterbury tales in space is not boring

This.

Yes.

It should have been animated

OH FUCK WHAT THIS IS HAPPENING?

fuck off weeb

This is how I imagine the tree looks.

lynch confirmed as a thieving hack

Yes. It'll go the GOT route and make "omg the Shrike" a meme.

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Yes, and people who have never heard of the original material will love the bastardization so much that the show will continue on forever permanently ruining what you love about the original.

Welcome to the ASoIaF club, dickshits.

It has two pretty definitive endings to the series, the longest they could make it go it the rise of Endymion but it'll probably end at fall of Hyperion because of the necessary production values

>will syfy fuck this up?
How could they not?

>Welcome to the ASoIaF club, dickshits.

What is it?

>a jew cradling his infant daughter in his lap listens to a giant turkroach tell a graphic story about how he fucked said infant daughter

how will they adapt this

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

syfy has been working on a mini series adaption for years now, so safe to say it's going to be awful

Or how Raul Endymion cucks his past self in the future

>It has two pretty definitive endings
To please pleb masses that dont understand why the story stops before its resolved. Protip: they never get to Canterbury either.
Not that fall of hyperion isn't superb space opera, but it undermines the original just a little.
All I know is the only person fit to play M. Silenus is Danny Devito. He needs to run around in CGI goat legs sputtering about how hoagies taste better when he makes them in his mouth.

Scifi before the change to syfy if I recall did a decent Dune mini series. I still have it in my library since it's technically the best dune that is close to the books. I do however prefer Lynch's movie partly due to how he captured the aesthetics of what I imagined the world to be like in my imagination.

I'd err on the side of Syfy taking a huge shit on the Hyperion series though.

best novel series ever

But even the second ending in the Endymion books didn't really conclude all the plot points, dan Simmons always leaves something for you to fill in.

>giant turkroach
Kassad was literally a Space-Palestinian though.

>dan Simmons always leaves something for you to fill in.
Or he just says fuck the ending... I'm looking at you Illium and Olympos. Especially olympos, its like they published a rough first draft.

>Or he just says fuck the ending... I'm looking at you Illium and Olympos. Especially olympos, its like they published a rough first draft.
this a thousand times
>super intricate plot
>OK, we disarm some nukes in ocean now
>for 15 chapters ?!
>forget about everything else
>BTW, it's all resolved now, nevermind

the fuck was that book...

>best novel series ever
It was ok and dragged a bit. Above average perhaps but not cream of the crop.

what are some other sci fi book series to check out? been kind of on a sci fi kick lately. i read the first revelation space book and liked it, characters were pretty dry though, interesting universe though. heard about the culture series, worth reading?

Have you read the Dune books yet?

not yet. i've been meaning to read it for a while. there's like a 30 fucking books in it though

nah, it's more like 3 books + optional shit by other authors

Asimov's Foundation is pretty cool "epic" series

I've read Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion but from what I understand the Endymion books aren't worth it.

>Welcome to the ASoIaF club, dickshits.
I'm already in that club, I don't want this

pls no

so, childhood is thinking all your favourite books/vidya/comics should be adapted to big screen
adulthood is realizing it's terrifying?

you heard right
however, I have at least 1 friend who stands by Endymion books and thinks they are just as good
so your milage may vary

Can't wait for Endymion and "Christianity is evil" and "the power of love lets you teleport".

Came to say pretty much this.

Six books. Ignore everything written by KJA and Brian herbert. The last 3 books; God Emperor, heretics, and chapterhouse are pleb filters and is where the series gets ambitious and literary.
The brian herbert/kja books are best treated as EU.

>the Endymion books aren't worth it.
If you liked the hyperion books no reason not to read endymion. I was surprised to find out how attached I got to the characters and I got a little choked up at the end.
It's not as good as the hyperion stories, but its not bad either.

A fire upon the deep

And any other book by Vernon Vinge

Also the red/green/blue mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson

Arthur C. Clarke's odyssey books (2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001) are all pretty good.
Most of Heinlein's books take place in a singular continuity (the future-history timeline) so your moon is a harsh mistress, red planet, stranger in a strange land, friday, time enough for love, revolt in 2100, and most oh his short stories are all dots on a timeline.
Asimov has the based Robot books (I robot, caves of steel, naked sun, robots of dawn, and other short stories) the foundation books, and the empire books. They're eventually all shown to belong to the same timeline.
Stephen Baxter (imagine if Clarke was an aerospace engineer and autistic) has the Manifold trilogy. Manifold: space, and Time are really good, manifold origin is a little "meh" but does feature the protagonist jerking off a caveman so there's that.
The Ender books (ender's game, speaker for the dead, xenocide, and children of the mind) are worth a read. Ender's game might come off as a little bit YA, but its been a best seller for years and there's still plenty to enjoy about it. Card's real purpose for expanding the short story into a novel was really to introduce the character of Andrew "Ender" Wiggin and develop his back story so Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide had context. Its got some good sci fi concepts. The biosphere of Lusitania is neat, and the mystery surrounding it is revealed well. Its not flawless, but worth a read. He made a parallel series starring Bean. Its novel to see the events of enders game from another perspective, some of bean's origin is legitimately creepy, but its also full of dumb lazy writing that goes fucking nowhere.

The Magicians & The Expanse aren't horrible
I think it'll be watchable

Have they announced a release date?

>Manifold: space, and Time

absolute kino

I'd recommend the Culture series, certainly the earlier ones. The latest before his death went a bit ott with some of the concepts I thought.

Really i'd recommend looking at past Arthur C Clarke award winners. Children of Time is a recent one which is very good.

Better off just finding some good authors.
Clifford D. Simak's "City" is really good.
Olaf Stapledon is a criminally underrated pre WWII sci fi author. Odd John is one of the weirdest most unsettling stories I've ever read and feels like it could have been written yesterday.
Based Stanislaw Lem. Polish author who wrote some truly mind bending (and delightfully hillarious) sci fi from behind the iron curtain. The Futurological Congress literally blew my mind, along with Solaris capturing the utter heart breaking alienation of the individual with heavy doses of stealth gnosticism. Cyberiad and Ijon Tichy's diary are funny as fuck.
Samuel R. Delaney would be a big name in literature if he didn't write genre fiction. He manages to fit more world building in a sentence then most authors could cram in a novel. Babel 17 and Nova are good straight sci-fi. Dhalgren is just brilliant if you don't mind things getting really fucking weird, and sexy. It's Sup Forums as fuck too, but thats spoiler territory.
Neil Stephenson. Snowcrash is a must read for contemporary sci-fi. YT is best girl. The main character is actually named "Hiro Protagonist." cryptonomicon is good too, but more historic fiction than sci fi. You'll gain a new appreciation for the intelligence game in WWII and crypto.
L. Ron Hubbard's "Battlefield Earth" is a good read. Forget everything you know about the stupid movie, and the author's cult he founded later in life. Its pure classic sci fi pulp serial campy goodness. It's dumb as fuck, and you might roll your eyes a few times (PSYCHLO CAITRIST ARE EVIL... GET IT!), but you'll be there every step of the way. The movie barely covers a quarter of the book, and leaves a lot out still.

>Hyperion is a Hugo Award-winning 1989 science fiction novel by American writer Dan Simmons. It is the first book of his Hyperion Cantos. The plot of the novel features multiple time-lines and characters
>The plot of the novel features multiple time-lines and characters

yawn

From what little I've watched the only thing The Magicians has going for it is the eye candy. The Expanse is excellent though, yeah.

it's not nolan and tarantino timeline shit

>multiple time-lines and characters
The original book is really six short stories with a framing device of travelers telling each other their stories as they're all traveling together. Its the Canterbury tales IN SPAAAAAACE.

BASED
A
S
E
D

I kinda like Hydrogen Sonata.

come on ,it's much more than that

those short stories actually slowly explain the framing device bit, all converging into a single epic. it's really thrilling when it all comes together.

also each story is in it's own sci-fi genre, which is a nice feat.

Was that the one with the whole afterlife war thing?

no, that's Surface Detail. Fucking love that one.

Hydrogen Sonata was about the 4-armed woman with the insane instrument and the autistic robot who thought everything was a sim.

it wasn't very good to begin with... they couldn't do much more damage anyways

I'm reading through the magician king rn and I think the show did an alright adaptaion

You should read the Canterbury tales, its really fucking good, and does the same thing. The pilgrims are from all walks of life all telling their stories that lead into why they're going to Canterbury (which is the seat of the Anglican church).
And the author was going for the Canterbury tales in space as the intent. That's why it doesn't really have an ending, the source material it was paying homage to isn't finished either.
Likewise the Keats epic of "Hyperion" is unfinished. It's one of the themes.

I did and you're 100% correct
(although never read any Keats, and probably not going to)

my point was that, by setting it in space and by stretching the time-line that much, a whole another layer was introduced, not just a quantitative one, but a very meaningful (from sci-fi point of view) one

WHAT
They're doing an Hyperion Cantos series?

>forgetting about Dune

It's true, open your mind.

In the sequel the jew willing gives the daughter up to the Shrike when he convinces himself in a dream that the daughter wants to be given up as a sacrifice

I mean he was on a tight deadline at the moment. He had nothing to lose as his baby is literally vanishing in his arms.

yo nigga, you know dan simmons actually ended hyperion rather conclusively, right? Osters were right, AI bad, shrike fights next generation machine gods to stalemate and AIs get BTFO by osters. Humanity eventually ascends, love conquers literally everything and puts earth, stolen by AI, back where it was, cause raul loves some ho.

If I could put Vegas odds on it, yes 100%

vegas odds would mean "they'll ruin it bets" are worth less than whatever is wagered.

>Some ho

Aenea a cute! Don't bash her!

aenea mary sue as fuck yo

Do mary sues take it up the butt in free fall? Because lets all remember that happens.

only the best ones

I know but the reasoning behind his decision was sophistry
>say fuck you G*d love us don't ask for sacrifice
>oh no daughter disappearing I wont let the Shrike have her
>convenient dream which says ITS OK if the sacrifice is WILLING
The author and jew's resolution of this supposed moral dilemma was a copout

>Turns out letting her go was the right decision and things work out for the best.
Whats the problem? He was out of options.

they wouldn't DARE!

.. would they?

yeah it is. it's an improvement on the canterbury tales, but it's a really boring story. there's a couple of actions sequences that are entertaining, but it's a piece of shit story. it isn't good sci-fi

name 1 good syfy show. nothing ironic.

i'm sure they can work in some nascar or police knocking someone's door down or celebrity home renovation just for you, user.

>name 1 good syfy show
The Expanse.

expanse

was it ever explained just WHY the Shrike impaled random people on a giant metal tree? for teh lulz?

name one single thing in creation that you like, that we can't shit all over for trivial reasons. then get your monkey ass back to Sup Forums, fuckr.

this better be the best show i've ever seen in my entire life

It has an acting style that is basically the CW/Fox drama overproduced trash. Can't watch it because of this.

Yes the Shrike as an agent of the Ultimate Intelligence created by the AI Core was trying to draw out the Empathy part of the Ultimate Intelligence created by humans and kill it using the pain of the people suffering on the "tree"

the acting is kind of weak, but the story more than makes up for it. if you aren't glued to the story by episode 3 then don't bother. i'd say most people would want to see where it goes though.

Dune was a couple good books at the start and like 20 shit-tier ones after that.