Rewatched Spider-Man 2 yesterday

Rewatched Spider-Man 2 yesterday.

I suppose this was the first and only time that a superhero film had the absolute balls to deal strictly with character building and relationship drama for the first hour with very little action and basically no action from the protagonist or villain

When the main driving action starts it has far more weight and meaning to it because the film has already established all of the key characters, and Sam Raimi delivers the greatest villain origin scene of all time with the back-to-back scenes of Dr. Octavius's reactor malfunctioning and the operating room where the arms kill the doctors and nurses

Then the film has the balls to take away the superhero's powers for a good chunk of the running time in favour of more character development

The film's scope and scale is relatively personal compared to most other superhero movies; while Dr. Octavius's reactor could have caused mass damage the stakes are almost entirely personal

The performances by Rosemary Harris, James Franco, Alfred Molina, Tobey Maguire, and Kirsten Dunst are perfect

Raimi constantly strikes a perfect balance between heartfelt emotion and campy 60s action and humour

The film's pacing and structure is a miracle compared to today's formulaic capeshit

It is the greatest superhero movie of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9dt8maD3FXE
youtu.be/ZgrUa-IOf_8?t=175
youtube.com/watch?v=1hZnjbJD__E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The operating room with the doctors trying to cut his arms off freaked me out so much as a kid. Agree with everything you wrote.

Dunst was at peak hotness here.

>Noooooo. I'm pregnant!
Can't believe they showed her scream that as she gets dragged away and torn apart by the exoskeleton.
Jesus Raimi

>With white power comes great responsibility, and I don't mean the nigger tax called the Paris accords

>Now move your head and pass the popcorn!

Way ahead of its time.

What? Are you talking about the Asian doctor/nurse?

I cannot describe how life-altering this scene was for me as a 10 year old

It really is the peak of capeshit.

How did raimi get away with this???

In the DVD commentary he said he originally had a scene set where Peter burns down the local Holocaust museum after Uncle Bens death but agreed to remove it to keep this one.

>He knows a hero when he sees one. Too few characters out there, flying around like that saving old girls like me. And Lord knows, kids like Henry need a hero—courageous, self-sacrificing people setting examples for all of us. Better than those monkeys blasting rap music all over the television at least, or as your dear old uncle use to call it, "Cultural Rape Screeching". We need a hero that can take matters into his own hand and purge every single nigger, chink and spic in this city. But not just them,Peter...oh not just them. We need to murder the Jews and Kurds. Anyone who will get in the way of the glory of our race. I believe there’s a hero in all of us…that keeps us honest…gives us strength…makes us noble…and finally allows minorities to die without pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most – even our dreams. Spider-Man did that for Henry and he wonders where he’s gone. He needs him.

What the fuck, Rami? I'm glad I got the Criterion edition before it'll get eventually banned from the market.

Capeshit began and ended with Raimi's spiderman films. Everything since has just been various shades of mediocre or complete trash.

I bought two to sell one on ebay later.

I also have the Uncle Ben action figure with the cross and gas tank

>"You know, Peter, with great power comes great responsibility. Rudyard Kipling called it "White Man's Burden." Myself, I just call it as I see it: the reaponsibility of the master to discipline the servant."
>Ben looks directly at the camera.
>"The niggers, the spics, the chinks...It's our responsibility to civilize them. And if we can't? Then they shall dangle from the elm tree. The Day of the Rope is near, Pete. We'll have every nigger in this country dead or in chains in 10 years, and may God have me shot in a carjacking this very night if I'm wrong. God bless the American Nazi Party."

It's amazing how many things Raimi's juggle in this film. There is so much going on but it flows so fucking well, it's really amazing to me.

The film ranges from the incredibly tragic life of Doc.Oc to that ''Raindrops keep falling on my head'' moment, it switches ton effortlessly and gives us one of the most or probably the most honest ans great big super hero film of our time.

this isnt news to anyone

Man, those really were some 10/10 knockers.

>while Dr. Octavius's reactor could have caused mass damage the stakes are almost entirely personal

You are absolutely right

New movies are really shallow philosophical wise, every hero is a plain save-the-world wannabe and every villain has no other motive than just pride and edgyness

Andrew spiderman is a fucking chad for christ sake, enough of this bullshit

Agreed. Spiderman 1 and 2 is really good.
youtube.com/watch?v=9dt8maD3FXE
best soundtrack too.
Why can not Marvel let him direct a new movie?

They need directors they can control more than Raimi who has his own style.

Yeah. Probably.
youtu.be/ZgrUa-IOf_8?t=175 doubt such a scene would've come today from a modern marvel film

youtube.com/watch?v=1hZnjbJD__E

i really enjoyed the horror elements that raimi put into spider man. doc ock was more than a villain, he was a kind of "monster" as well.

>I suppose this was the first and only time that a superhero film had the absolute balls to deal strictly with character building and relationship drama for the first hour
>Op thinks this is ballsy
fuckin lol

The hospital scene is one of the best villain transformations set to screen. The horror element complemented it nicely.

fucking hell, my sieds

can somebody explain this meme to me? from where I'm standing spiderman 2 was objectively worse than the first one. some of the acting is really awful (kirsten dunst) and generally it took the camp thing way too far, to the point where I lost all interest in the characters. I also remember it being kind of a mess...

For a modern superhero film, yeah it is absolutely a move that wouldn't be allowed by any studio in today's climate

I just rewatched 1 and I couldn't stop laughing at after every line delivered by Defoe.

>mfw Aunt May raps his hand

It sounds like you're confusing 2 with 3. 3 is a mess, 2 is a 10/10 masterpiece.

>can anyone explain
so no? I should also mention I find that doc ock transformation scene everyone's jerking off over incredibly corny...and I LIKE alfred molina

Corny in all the right ways amigo. Just like the Evil Dead series. 10/10

Doesn't the new Power Rangers movie also focus on characters with no action?

This part has always bugged me in this spider-man 2. At the end when that big ass wall is falling down on Dunst right before Eric Forman jumps in holding it from slamming down on her,
-
she is shrieking in fear with her hands over her face in some futile defensive attempt. Her dress has clearly risen up revealing her panties.
Right before it cuts to Spoderman holding it up she is seen bringing her left arm down as if to make to pull her dress down, preserving her dignity should anyone on set see her panties.

Clearly she forgot all the near x-ray boobs scenes she gave us, but to see her underwear, for shame!

I always wished they would have edited out those two frames. It always broke the scene for me.

See pic for details

It was a different time

>Um, Kirsten. We're gonna have to redo that take and this time...can you not cover yourself? You know, just let whatever happen, happen.

Yeah except it isn't good.

for me it was Jumanji or The Virgin Suicides

Nah first Spiderman was peak hotness. She seemed to take a step down in the sequel.

I've heard that this scene was filmed live as the twin towers were hit. Did Raimi just get lucky, or did he actually have something to do with 9/11?

Check out Melancholia. You need not watch all of it if you don't dig Lars Von Trier. But them tits

Sup Forums constantly bitch that movies are boring when they're focused on character. And there are others that do it. Spider-Man is high quality shit though

King Kong 2015
1.5 hours of buildup and character development before action starts

First of all, the King Kong movie you're talking about came out in 2005. Second of all, Peter Jackson's King Kong was unusual and you know it. It was over 3 hours long and it's very rare for a blockbuster to be that long.