What does Sup Forums think about Alaska? may consider moving there for college

what does Sup Forums think about Alaska? may consider moving there for college.

Which college?

Yeah, Fairbanks, Anchorage or Juneau?

I went to UAF and UAA and now live in Juneau.

I lived in Fairbanks for two years. It was fucking horrible to be quite honest with you. Entire town full of suicidaly depressed alcoholic criminals, -40 air, 300% markup on anything you buy, mosquitos like you cannot imagine in the summer and cold that freezes your tires flat.

Just shitty. Maybe to visit once for the novelty but never to live that job was not worth it at all.

Probably Fairbanks, for an engineering course. I'm asking because I'm not very familiar with the state at all, so any general info on education there would be helpful.

Hey, I was born there.

All these things are true. (300% is an exaggeration but shit is more expensive up here)

OP where you from now?

Fairbanks, Cold as fuck, dark as fuck, crime, depression, cold, smoke pollution in the winter (temperature inversions trap exhaust and chimney smoke), snow is a guarantee from Oct-April, not too much though.
The school is nice tho, top notch facility.

Anchorage, Crime, shitty people, kinda cold, can snow a lot, Anch is spread out as fuck, expect to drive a good distance for lots of things, summers are nice, central location to Alaska and good food around town.
School is p.great

Juneau, Small town, not nearly as much crime as FBX or ANC, rains a lot, snow is a maybe in the winter, dont expect it to last long, hope you like spruce trees, rains a lot, climate is like Seattle/Vancouver
School is nice but more Biology/Arts focused, the good Engineering depts. are in UAA and UAF

sounds shitty, but I wouldn't know.
I'm actually living on the east coast right now, but I'm searching out colleges. I thought alaska sounded interesting.

Do you like the outdoors, hiking, fishing, hunting, i dunno...bird watching? berry picking? All that shit is pretty abundant and easy access all over the state. Do you like the winter? Snowsports?

If yeah, then you'll love it here. It's a pretty great state if you're not a sadbrain that gets depressed easy and you stay active.

If you don't like dark ass winters or if you can't sleep because the sun is still up at 11pm in the summers you might not like it that much. (the summer sun is fucking great, you can party all night, just get good curtains)

I live about 5 minutes away from this BTW, I can see it from my house.

I sometimes think about moving there myself, but I'd honestly probably hate it. I think I'm just desperate for a change in my life.

Fairbanks, no. Anchorage is the only place worth living. I'd love to visit everywhere in Alaska, but judging by how expensive and limited everything is in Anchorage, I can't imagine how bad the rest of the state is.

I've only been to Anchorage, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Alaska is full of damaged goods like you.

Outdoors stuff could be fun. I may enjoy that.
Are there any nice/clean cities? Also, how much does it cost to live in a place near the cities?

here are my naive sterotypes of alaska, beards, jacked up rigs with winches, canneries, meth or alcohol addiciton, stippers with bad tattoos, infinite darkness, scary bush plane rides...

They're all clean, there might be a empty lot here or there or a broke down car but it's nothing like Seattle or Portland which I find rather filthy. LA looks like a garbage dump ( I love the city tho, but man is it grungy)

I'd advise you to take a trip before you commit to moving up here if you're that unsure. Fly into Anchorage, drive to Fairbanks (6-7hr drive) and fly out of there.

As for cost, its a bit higher. But so are wages.
Room rent you can expect to pay about 400-700/mo
1-2b apartments are 700-1100/mo
Anchorage is going to be the cheapest, Juneau and Fairbanks are about tied. Fairbanks is on the road/rail system but Juneau is a lot closer to Seattle where almost everything is shipped from.

the thread shouldnt die. bump. does Alaska need kebab shops?

Sounds like someone worked commercial fishing in Bristol Bay.

Move to Juneau, it's comfy as fuck. Lived there for roughly 4 years before moving back to WA. It might be kind of a bitch if you don't have a car, though.

I want to live there, but I don't want to leave my family behind.
I don't think even if I bought them homes there myself that they'd move.

Fuck yeah we do. There's a lot of ethnic food but a good lack of Mediterranean and MidEast food. Pho shops are the new hat.

Alaska actually is p.diverse and for the most part everyone gets along. Mt.View and Fairview in Anchorage are kinda ghetto but they're shoved off in the other side of the city. Its like Oakland/SanFran

i live in portland. never set foot in alaska before but my uncle is prof at UAF...meet people from up there down here every once in awhile. actually the rural NW and alaska are probably pretty much the same. we've got all that shit down here too minus the darkness and scary plane rides...

it's rightful Russian clay tbqh

That's what I figured. Its cold and dark, but at least I'd fit in.

They sold it to us you limey cunt.

It's way better than the east coast

T. Maryland fag

i wouldn't doubt it.
what's maryland like? my friend has family there and says it's better than PA

capitalists pigs

Vermonter here used to all those things except for the sun whats the job situation like ?

bump

>that population density
wew

Isn't Alaska the US' biggest sausage fest? Why the hell would you want to move there unless you wanted frosted dicks?

>needing sex from roasties
Wew lad

The state its fuckin yuuuuuuuge

I know it sucked 10 years ago when I left and never turned back. I was 21 and went to anchorage and started being a journeyman electrician

It really depends, since oil prices are so low we are in a financial crisis right now and our job market reflects that.

Also nice to see other alaskans on the chan.

how is Juneau btw, I've never been.

locals say it's only gotten worse.
I'm actually looking to be a journeyman as well, but i still need to study for it.

I think it's a russian clay.

It's nice, basically like Seward+Soldotna+rain
Got a boat last year now I catch lots of halibut and salmon

You sold it dummy.

Kinda like Valdez/Cordova? I left for texas for a little while and now that I'm back I am just in awe of how beautiful this state is. The Sound, the mountains, glaciers etc.

If you live on the water it's fucking awesome.

If you don't live on the water it fucking sucks.

>mosquitos
Really? Figured they'd be dead as fuck that far up north. That sucks.

Ya scenery wise it's similar, tall mountains right up to the sea and islands everywhere.

The larvae can freeze.

I want to drive the Alaska highway. Seems like a long drive to think about life and feel small within the expanse of nature.

If we sold it, where's money?
?

You guys blew it

I was up in the woods around the mine shaft in that area and I came up on this old guy tourist that was lost. He thought the porcupine chewings on the bark were trail markers. I aimed him back down the downhill mountain bike path and went back in the mine.

how's the DUDE WEED LMAO laws over there?