Iconic British Movies?

Iconic British Movies?

I just watched 'Withnail and I' the other day. What are some others?

>So ah squares up, casual like

What'd you think of it? Pretty good huh.

It was hysterical. I don't think I stopped laughing the whole way through. The scene where he's in the police station and they pull back the curtain and piss was leaking everywhere holy shit

Fish Tank
Trainspotting

I've seen trainspotting. Fish Tank seems pretty dark I dunno. I watched The Ice Storm yesterday so I think I should watch something lighter

Barry Lyndon

Not a classic as such, but I really enjoyed Submarine

Naked

the thing is this movie is considered unfunny trash in britain
you, the american, only find it funny because of the zany accents and lingo
withnail and i is to britain what big mama's house is to america and viced-versa

Yeah I've seen that a while back. Really enjoyed it as well.

Damn that looks pretty good. I think I'll go with that one. Thanks

every single Mike Leigh film. he's the most quintessentially "British" director ever, and most of his work is great.

>In 2000, readers of Total Film voted Withnail and I the third greatest comedy film of all time. In 2004 the same magazine named it the 13th greatest British film of all time. Withnail & I was 38th in Channel 4's 100 Greatest Films poll.
>In August 2009 The Observer polled 60 eminent British film filmmakers and film critics who voted it the second best British film of the last 25 years.
>In 2007 a digitally remastered version of the film was released by the UK Film Council. It was shown at over fifty cinemas around the UK on 11 September, as part of the final week of the BBC's "Summer of British Film" season. In 2011, Time Out London named it the 7th-greatest comedy film of all time.

This is England

it's a copypasta that originally referred to Hot Fuzz

Actual Brit here, I recommend:

Kes, Ken Loach
Meantime, Mike Leigh
Made in Britain, Alan Clarke
I, Daniel Blake, Ken Loach
Naked, Mike Leigh
This Is England,Shane Meadows
Trainspotting, Danny Boyle
East Is East,Damien O'Donnell
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones
Billy Elliot,Stephen Daldry
Oliver!, Carol Reed
Lawrence of Arabia, David Lean
The Bridge on the River Kwai, David Lean

Room for Romeo Brass by Shane Meadows is good too, solid list.

24 Hour Party People
Dead Man's Shoes

or just about anything with Paddy Constantine

PERFUMED PONCE

good taste, but the man's name is Paddy Considine.

also, his film Tyrannosaur is absolutely worth bringing up, though he doesn't star.