Says here you have a Bachelor's Degree in Cinema Production in Full Sail University. Care to explain?

Says here you have a Bachelor's Degree in Cinema Production in Full Sail University. Care to explain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zuvTstdklMo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No
/thread

fpbp

What

>"Well y'see, my parents didn't approve of my dream of working at McDonalds..."

Sup Forums 37k/yr fags fucking rekt enjoy lifelong loserhood

There were many times I was gonna go to Full Sails

merrrrr
not sure what the point of this thread is but im bored and feeling up to some trolling on twitch, anyone else?

>going to college
Lol good one

why would anyone go to film school

Non-creative types who literally just want to be a camera operator or producer, etc.

Anyone on the creative side is wasting their money.

ugh fucking normies on twitch, honestly hate them, i told them i was gonna raid them and they then banned me from the stream chat and then started claiming that oh "Yeah Sup Forums has become very interested in us" and i sat there like, "you dumb fucks i never even said anything about Sup Forums" but i guess they assume raids with Sup Forums.

>went to film school
>was excited
>eventually became a jaded fuck with students who were try hards who also were jaded
>made me like film less and less
seriously fuck film school

I'm going to film school now.

Kek

Top kek

>FUCK U, AND FUCK A COLLAGE DEAL!!
youtube.com/watch?v=zuvTstdklMo

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What is Full Sails?

idk

I have been an indie filmmaker for 10 years now. Had some successes, worked on some decent films, even won an award from an indie festival for one of my shorts.

Here is what every aspiring filmmaker should do if they want to get into film.

1) Learn to be a great writer. Learn what constitutes a good story. Write a lot. Write short fiction, screenplays. I guarantee your first 5 or so will be garbage, even if you are really talented. Resist the temptation to make a short or feature just because you finished a script.

2) Only then get into the technical side (the artistry of lighting and photography).

3) Editing is the key. Editing and your films sound are what makes it unique, assuming you haven't fucked anything else up. Soundtrack, good dialog sweetening, and foley/SFX are more important than your footage.

4) Sets, wardrobe, props and makeup are super important. Skimp on any of these and your project will look like student garbage. I would rather spent $10K on wardrobe and props and film something with a $200 camcorder than vice versa.

5) Put passion into your work. If you don't, it will show.

6) See #1

beer

How do I become better at writing? I always try to but I then over think the dialogue and then quit

Watch a ton of YouTube videos on structure and narrative plotting and also watch interviews of famous writers, like Stephen King, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, etc... Outline your work before you start. If the story isn't there in the outline, then it won't be in the writing. Also, just because you have an idea, doesn't mean it's a good one. Come up with 10 ideas. Let them simmer for a while in your brain. One will stick out as the best. Don't write about your self, or your life. Make up something more interesting. It's called fiction.

Unless you are Tarantino or Sorkin, it's better to have terse, natural dialog. Don't try to be something you're not. Read it out loud, if it sounds stupid, IT IS. Best advice I ever got on art and self critique is this: if something seems wrong, IT IS. Change it. Edit, edit, edit, revise, revise, revise. It's not done until that thing is as sharp as a surgeon's scalpel. When you think you are done, you are probably only a third of the way there.

Thanks Mike. I've been trying to improve my skills. Cinematography I've got a good hold on but writing has been terrible

My name is not Mike.

And the writing is everything. I went to school for Journalism and minored in English, spending all my electives on creative writing. It has helped me tremendously. The rest you can teach yourself. Well, you can teach yourself anything nowadays, especially with the Internet. But technical stuff is super easy now. I actually taught myself photography back before Youtube and all that shit. It took a long longer. If I had to do it again, it would probably have gone 5x faster.

>My name is not Mike
Idk why the fuck it put Mike. Photography was quick for me cause of me being a visual person and being able to pick up on styles and techniques.

Same user again.

Another filmmaking truth that I have discovered is that camera work is not as important as people think it is. We have been making movies for 120 years or so now. You are not going to reinvent the wheel, cinematography wise. Serve the narrative and your photography will be great. With each setup and each shot, think to yourself, how can this shot serve the emotion or mood I am trying to elicit from this exact part of the story. That is almost always better than any bullshit you can dream up with a crane or dolly that doesn't serve the story and is just creative masturbation. When it comes to style, you have to pick your battles and sprinkle that in there sparingly.

Same here. Just saying it could have gone even faster with all the online tips from the past 5-8 years. That shit exploded. Even 10 years ago, you had to really search on forums for the good info and tips.

Best way to learn photography is to buy a used 35mm film stills camera and start shooting. You will eliminate your fuck ups with exposure, etc real quick when each shot costs money.

You just made this thread on Sup Forums

I have my grandpa's old Minolta I wanna get checked out and fixed up so I can try that out. Does the writing software not matter? A lot of people told me Final Draft is required or something

A quick google search shows a shifty psuedo-college for music and film in florida that's too shitty to report how competitive it is, probably because it's a whoever can pays gets in kind of service

Writing software absolutely does NOT matter. Get CELTX, it is free. Final Draft and expensive programs only offer a bunch of bells and whistles that don't mean fuck all. As long as it is formatted to industry standard for a screenplay, that is all that matters. I have been writing on CELTX for about 8 years now. I have never needed any more. You write and it formats for you, based on the project style you choose (screenplay, stage play, TV script, etc...). When you are done, you can save it as a PDF even.

Read up on do's and don'ts for screenplays, though. A lot of bad screenwriting will get your script ignored faster than you can spit.

That's good to hear. What about finding work in the field? Do you just get lucky and find connections?

That is probably the toughest part. To be honest, you want to be near large cities (LA, Chicago, New York, etc...). You won't find anything out in the boonies. And small cities are usually a small group of hacks who will only hurt your reputation, not help it. Develop several places to look for work online and check them often. Join some forums and talk to people who live close.

But you have to be competent before you get work. I have seen so many people who want film work and don't even know what the fuck they are doing. That can waste time on a set and also be dangerous. You wouldn't apply for a job as a mechanic unless you knew how to work on cars, right?

But the beauty is you can travel to work. I have worked in other states. You drive out, stay there for a few days or a few weeks, then you go home. Just ask whoever the producer or director is for a place to crash. They will set you up or let you stay at their house. Just go for it. Check listings in other cities within driving distance (8-12 hours).

Same user.

I will also add that I don't do much freelancing anymore. I have worked for at an advertising studio, for a local indie film company, freelanced for several years, both for others any myself. I am concentrating on getting the funding and support for a feature film at this point. If that won't happen, then I don't want to just be a hired hand. If I can't make my own babies, then I don't want to be in the field. I got into filmmaking to direct my own stuff. I have no interest in helping others make their own stuff when it doesn't pay or doesn't benefit me. Call me selfish. I am an artist. I just wanna create art. A lot of filmaking is just mindless, physical work. I don't want to fall into that and realize when I am 50 that I never created anything.

H

how to become better at lighting without owning lights? any info on books and videos/sites would be ideal.

thanks

Not him but learn how to properly utilize a camera and it's features along with practicing taking pictures in natural light. This does not mean never use real lights but it'll help you in cases of not having any available

Same user learning to use natural light is a good stepping stone. Then learn how to use 3 point lighting. Most basic lighting technique and important one too.

yeah not what i meant but i should had write it better. I am an aspiring cinematographer who was an amateur landscape photographer. I want to play with studio lights but i don't have the light nor the space. So how do i find sources of light diagrams for movies on the indie scale (no 12k or similar setups) in case the opportunity arises?

thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding

P.S. e.s.l. here

There is a website I had that I got from college when I was learning that gives diagrams on lighting setups. If I find I'll post it