HASTINGS ENTERTAINMENT IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

>Hastings Entertainment will be liquidated, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

>Bidding on the beleaguered company in a Delaware bankruptcy court ended Wednesday afternoon, and according to the agency agreement an “everything must go” sale, which ends Oct. 31 at the latest, will be the end of the Amarillo retail chain’s story.

Source: amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2016-07-20/hasting-entertainment-be-liquidated-oct-31

Initial news and follow-ups:
archive.is/NiojF
comicsbeat.com/hastings-bookstore-chain-files-for-bankruptcy-debt-to-diamond-uncertain/
icv2.com/articles/news/view/34718/funko-diamond-acd-ultra-pro-psi-take-hastings-hits

>first national comic book store chain since 2010
>Diamond account switched to direct market completely in 2012
>reportedly has tons of backstock

Sup Forumsmrades who visit Hastings stores to get their comics, report here!

Does this mean the end of Dr Mcninja??

>reportedly has tons of backstock
Fuuuuuuck

well that sucks
but i've never seen one

Those Pop toys will be marked down 80% by the end of this.

Never heard of it.

>Hastings
NO!
Now how will that one user live while he uncovers the money laundering behind a day with Spongebob?

Yeah, because they made a deal of just buying up tons and tons of back issues form the 90s.

I fucking work here.
Fuck.

>Never heard of it.

Nor have I. And I've lived in four states across the US.

it's coming. 8/4

I've heard of it but never been.
Apparently they have really good shit there.

Well shit. This was like the ONLY place nearby me that sold comics. It was the one place to get more obscure movies and season sets, too. Love just going there and looking around at all the cool shit they had.

Damn, sucks.

I've never once seen a Hastings, so this doesn't really effect me. Too bad, since I'm always down for a good ol' fashion "going out of business" sale.

I'm reminded of the Borders bankruptcy.
All the bookstores are dying, Sup Forums.

>tfw Hastingsfag
>tfw bought comics and rented movies from their regularly

Fuck everything

How much are the Toy Pizza figures?

I want to know who's to blame for this!

Welcome to the sweet embrace of comic desert, where the nearest store only stocks German comics and your only salvation is Amazon's used books.

Short answer: An inability to compete with Amazon, eBay, and e-retail in general as well as a failure to get in on the nascent e-book market.

Doc is ending soon anyway. Feels.

soon user, barns and noble will go too
i NEVER see anyone in my store and its in a fucking mall.

NO GOD DAMMNIT

>soon user, barns and noble will go too
>i NEVER see anyone in my store and its in a fucking mall.

But you haven't lowered your prices, I bet.

I used to shop at B&N all the time, had the loyalty card and everything, bought books once a month at least.

When I suddenly couldn't order books by my favorite author anymore without them tripling the price because the books, which are nothing but mass market paperbacks that sell for $7.99, are now mistakenly classified as "textbooks."

Does this look like a textbook to you?

Fuck Barnes and Noble.

Wait, this brings up another good point, wouldn't the closing of Hastings means a major drop in comic sales across the board after October since they bought direct market instead of newsstand?

Malls are dying too user.

>Fuck Barnes and Noble.
I have noticed thumbing through random books that they slap those fucking security stickers in the middle of manga and graphic novels. They're cheap ones that are impossible to remove too.

They're actually really neat too :( they have (soon to be had) the biggest DVD collection in my area. I used to buy comics and CDs too.

Literally never even heard of a Hastings before until this thread.

I'd say american cities are too sparsely built, everyone lives in the endless formless sprawl.

Then it's a bit of a cultural thing. Vinyl records were doomed when the CD made its entrance, but have in recent years started to retake some of its lost ground. Mass consumption of comics will largely be through ebooks, or japanese telephone catalogs, but puritans will enjoy their floppy limited editions, paperbacks and hardcovers.

The B&N near me is always crowded as fuck whenever I go.

They're regional.

Let's go to the clearance sale and get those sponge Bob dvds