Some people like to claim Batman v Superman was well liked by the general audience but how much of that is true...

Some people like to claim Batman v Superman was well liked by the general audience but how much of that is true? Let's look at some interesting figures shall we.

I am a fan of the movie (UC specifically) but I am truly fascinated on just how little the general public was willing to give it repeat viewings and support it longterm, which is what's needed to stand among the titans of the all-time box office. I'll lay out a couple of noteworthy figures:

Batman vs Superman had historic drops.

BvS had an $81 million opening day. For reference, Avengers, Avengers: AOU, and Jurassic World all opened in the $80-84 million range opening day as well. All three of those opened to $190+ million (2/3 opened to $205+ million, A:AOU probably would have as well, had the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight, the biggest PPV of all-time, not been on the same weekend ). BvS was on pace to do so as well. Toxic word of mouth for BvS got around, post opening day, leaving it well short of that mark, $166 million, for reference.

There are 10 movies that have had $160+ million, opening weekend. All of them made over a billion worldwide except BvS.

There are 15 movies total that have made $150+ million, opening weekend. 13 of 15 outgrossed BvS. The two that didn't were two out of the Hunger Games franchise. One was the very first one, when it had almost no foreign market. The other was HG:CF and it only finished $8 million dollars short of BvS.

There are 24 movies that were able to hit $1+ billion worldwide despite having a lower opening weekend than BvS.

There are 42(!) movies that outgrossed BvS despite a lower opening weekend.

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/
forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/09/13/box-office-suicide-squad-is-now-leggier-than-captain-america-civil-war/#444190d35ab5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love console war BO threads

To add on

BvS made 50.3% of its total domestic gross on its opening weekend. For those that don't follow the box office, this is not the norm. Basically all, mildly successful and/or well-received movies, have a shelf life that doesn't result in their opening weekend being 50+% of their domestic gross. BvS was that anomaly. Here's a chart that has the top 200 or so, opening weekends of all-time. In the top 150, there are only two movies that made 50+% of its total domestic gross in its opening weekend. One was BvS. The other one? Fifty Shades of Grey.

To add on to the previous bullet, you can expand it to the 208 movies on that list. Those 208 movies being, all the movies to ever have a $50+ million opening weekend. To add onto BvS and FSoG, there are three other movies that made 50+% of their domestic total on their opening weekend - Paranormal Activity, Valentines Day, and Watchmen (another Zack Snyder film).

The chart in question

boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

I usually hate these threads but this one seems to have some interesting info.

Show me five films with as shitty RT making more. Hell BvS is unpredecented in just how hated it was by mass media making that much money. And it also sold on par with Civil War in home platform sales.

Transformers movies , Pirates movies have grossed more with a Shitty RT score.

You're also ignoring one of the most important points in the post

50.3% of it's total gross during the opening weekend(when the word of mouth hadn't spread and people didn't know how awful it was) . This movie would have been a flop if it weren't for the names "Batman" and "superman".

It wasn't the media who killed it. The audience just didn't like it.

Making $900M against the critics and with the whole internet on their knees begging people to not see it is something insane. Being one of the top selling blurays of 2016 is another proof of being liked. Also you MCUcks predicted the end of the DCEU because of the damage done to the franchise but it turned out there was no damage and both Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman have been some of the biggests hits of their respective years, , both crushing to a pulp MCU movies with similar budgets, Suicide Squad against the critics too and again a video home sales hit. Wonder Woman will do well in that market too

The drops and not hitting a million is only because the movie was too long and it had very little humour. People wanted a capeshit movie and found something else, that's all there is to it

Mentioned films have higher RT and also lower gross (T5 is a series low same as that new POTC)

For a film to swim against the media current as hard as BvS did and still almost reach a billion is extremely impressive and a rare sight.

It's like people aren't even reading the post. It's not about the quality of the movie.

It's about whether it was liked by the audience or not. Saying people didn't like it because of the lack of humor is pointless as the debate isn't about why people disliked it.

Also regarding runtimes both TDK and TDKR have runtimes as long as BvS, Yet they grossed more.

TDK and TDKR also didn't have China as well I believe.

Adding to this, the drops are impressive because the opening weekend was a record breaking one. Beauty and the Beast has beaten it this year but before that nothing had opened that big in that month.

Dark of the moon grossed 1.1billion while having a RT score of 35% only slightly higher than BvS. Several of the pirates films grosses a billion too.

Do you actually think RT score matters once below 50℅?

Is a 7% increase in Dark of the moon over BvS increase it's B.O by 200 fucking million.

Lol you're retarded. Bay films and Transformers not only get negative press each time but also opened lower than BVS.

Grossing 50.3 of your total gross during the opening weekend is pathetic.

TDK and TDKR had Heath's death and unanimous critical praise.

BvS had neither. Hell Ben Affleck as Batman was spinned as a negative by social media despite him killing it. I can't think of a film as preemptively hated as BvS.

TDKR didn't have heath in the film or in marketing you retard.

If we are playing a that game then BvS still had the goodwill batman built up during the Nolan days.

meant for

BvS had every external factor against it and still managed to rival TDK films in gross and successfully kicked off the DCEU while also making a Batman v Superman film without insulting either camp like the Miller comics did.

But online fanboys would rather die than say something positive about BvS. I'm fine by that. If only they were as fine about ignoring what they don't like.

>It's about whether it was liked by the audience or not.
Pretty easy to know, it has a 63% audience score on RT so yeah, they liked it but people didn't get crazy about it. BvS made $160M after the first weekend which is like 75% of the entire gross of well liked movies like Doctor Strange

>you retard.
Why are you so angry? What kind of person is this dedicated to push his console wars narrative? We get it. You don't like BvS. The 199 earlier times was statement enough.

Lol the OPs post proves it grossed because of the name and hype alone.

You can thank the decades of goodwill that had been built on these characters.

It literally made more than half it's money during the opening weekend.

Dark of the Moon was before the age of RT gaining widespread popularity. Look at T5. Absolutely slaughtered by critics and in BO. The new pirates might not wven beat BvS ether. Even Hollywood execs have gone on record saying RT hurts them.

I wouldn't trust RT audience score too much. Fanboys brigade it like IMDB these days. Better use CinemaScore. It has a B which is mediocre.

What's the significance of the movies high blu-ray sales?

Meanwhile we're still discussing BvS here daily while nobody even remembers Civil War.

Marvel makes better commercial products, WB makes better art. Just look at Fury Road and compare it to the average Marvel.

It was compared with Nolan and that's a very high bar. Also many people Bale was and is Batman, hiring a 50 year old Affleck was something that people hated it. Right here in Sup Forums a bunch of shills were spoiling the movie so hard that the mods had to intervene, that's when we started suspecting about disney shills, suspicion now sadly confirmed. BvS would have broken even with the amount it made after the first weekend.

It confirms that people liked the movie, no one buys a bluray for a movie they hated on theaters.

Why would a sane person care this much about box office? Seek help faggot

RT has been popular long before dark of the moon.

T5 and new pirates are struggling because franchise fatigue not RT. Not saying RT is irrelevant but if that's the case then the new despicable me movie or FF movie both Rotten on RT shouldn't be grossing as much.

>Right here in Sup Forums a bunch of shills were spoiling the movie so hard
Also don't forget the twitter and reddit bots set up. Shit was plain corporate sabotage.

>T5 and new pirates are struggling because franchise fatigue not RT
But this doesn't apply to Batman despite having more films lmao

Literally kill yourself you sad fuck. Go watch Civil War while you jerk it to BO numbers and CGI airports. I don't give a fuck.

You make the mistake of thinking I care about Marvel

And reviewers calling the movie fascist and shit like that. A movie no one likes doesn't make $900 millions OP, nor sells any bluray/DVDs nor kickstarts a franchise in which every movie is more succesful than the last. If people hated BvS, Suicide Squad should have bombed and Wonder Woman even more so. But both opened at +$100M

Is this preemptive Homecoming damage control? Sad!

> Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming hit tracking today and is projected to have an opening between $90M-$108M when it opens on July 7.
lol

You're gonna see how much people like this movie when they release for the second time, but call it justice league.

Yes it doesn't apply to Batman films because they the recent three are massively acclaimed movies that were released with a several years gap between them.

You do realize that there was nearly a decade gap between the Schumacher films and Nolan films and Nolan films themselves are usually released with a 4 year gap between them and also the fact the each bat franchise is distinct in terms of tone and style.

There's a reason why Batman hasn't gotten out of favour yet

You do realize thar

Your argument is absolutely dumb. Tm

I like how you're ignoring how the superhero genre was firmly established years before bvs dropped, how suicide squad was (false) advertised as a batman movie, and how wonder woman dropped with no real competition.

>33 posts
>6 posters

>I like how you're ignoring how the superhero genre was firmly established years before bvs dropped,
Unless you're comparing it with Raimi's Spiderman, all superhero movies found the genre established
>how suicide squad was (false) advertised as a batman movie,
Nah it wasn't and still had better legs than Civil War
forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/09/13/box-office-suicide-squad-is-now-leggier-than-captain-america-civil-war/#444190d35ab5
>and how wonder woman dropped with no real competition.
Under the semitic reign of terror of Wonder Woman the following franchises have underperformed to the point is not clear if there will be more movies for any of them:
>Transformers
>Pirates of the Caribbean
>Cars
>Dark Universe Cinematic Universe (?)
>even Despicable Me
It had no real competition because Wonder Woman fucking destroyed it

>wonder woman destroyed sequels in franchises everyone is sick of!

wow

>Yes it doesn't apply to Batman films
Ok senpai nice talking to you

Wow this will make BvS Avatar in comparison

I've never seen such a relentless and protracted smear campaign against a movie, blockbuster or not.

In contrast, ID42 was the cinematic equivalent of a liquid shit, but you didn't hear so much as a peep about it before release. Literally every minutia of BvS, every false "leak," every bit of inside information was scrutinized, over-analyzed, and spread across every clickbait site and social media platform from one end of the internet to the other. Months before release. Months.

Someone somewhere took a vested interest in poisoning the well of public perception of this film, someone with a lot of money.

>wonder woman dropped with no real competition.
This is not true at all. It had PotC released just a week before, The Mummy a week after, then it came Cars 3, Transformers 5 and Despicable Me 3, and now, Spider-Man.
It had much more competition than any other DCEU film yet it managed to make more domestic, and good enough worldwide, despite having a much lower opening weekend than any other DCEU movie. This speaks volumes of the other DCEU failures, which featuring characters much more popular than WW didn't click with general audience, as well as the critics.

Look, guys, you can like BvS all you want and call it the epitome of capekino, but it doesn't mean general audience liked it. The fact that it made 50% of its money on opening weekend means it sold so much purely based on hype. Once people saw the movie and WOM started going around, it plummeted and by it's third week it was already making less money than Wonder Woman, despite having an opening 63 million bigger. This means that it didn't just drop because the opening weekend was too big, it drop way below a movie that opened to much less money. By the 4th week it was making less than half the money Wonder Woman was making.
Also, by it's 5th week BvS was dropped from 1190 theaters, while Wonder Woman was dropped from 761. And even though it was showing in more theaters than BvS (3066 vs 3404) WW made twice as more average per theater.
And I'm not pointing this out because I give a shit about how much money a studio makes, that's why I'm comparing two movies of the same universe. It's just to show how popular a movie was, in opposition of how unpopular another one was. The Blu-Ray sales don't really count since those are mostly sold to fans and not general audience, and the fan numbers fluctuate very little. The movies that are trully popular are those that manage to be hits with a broader audience, and that's the point of these blockbusters. Making a movie with Batman and Superman together, with a Wonder Woman cameo, and it making a domestic run below the two Guardians of the Galaxy is a fucking failure.

And it's also funny that so many people here claim RT buried it when there's so many threads calling it irrelevant. It's like people saying WW is only a hit because of feminism and Ghostbusters was a failure because of feminism.

Someday we will have retribution for this. No film deserves this smear campaign. Especially not one that actually tried to save this godforsaken genre of marvel quipshit.

It's almost as if ID42 doesn't have a fraction of the fan base of these two icons and also doesn't have a opposing company which also has millions of fans.

This

It's almost as if people here didn't read OPs post. OP added more to what you said which showcased how big of a disappointment this was.

>it had lots of competition! Shit, shit, shit, shit, and shit! with only something that looked remotely decent coming out just this weekend!

Subjective opinions are subjective opinions no matter how abundant the quantitative data. Any argument cannot and will not say anything to the objective quality of Batman vs. Superman just as the people vying for its status as kino cannot. It's art.

I loved it, but loathed the final act. Trying to convince me or to subliminally imply that I'm wrong for that by telling me that "most people" disliked it is irrational. Most people are uneducated idiots without access to higher education institutions, vehicles, and the internet. Most people are lower-middle class/middle class wagecucks in middling, beta life situations. Most people read entry-level Shakespeare in high school like "Romeo and Juliet" and think it's hard so they turn off their brains, if they read it/have access to it at all. The opinions of "most people" mean dirt when attempting to speak to the quality of something as ambitious in writing as BvS. Most people don't even know the films and television shows nominated for Oscars and Emmys every year even exist.

Kino isnt meant to (can not) be appreciated by the plebian masses

fuck that tinfoil hats bad for that balding scalp mate

>everything popular is good
>everything unpopular is bad
hurr durr
Check yourselves