Baby Driver

Okay, we knew Edgar Wright wasn't very creative, talented, or original, but this is the most blatant ripoff of another film ever made.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6kh7by/hi_im_edgar_wright_writerdirector_of_baby_driver/
youtube.com/watch?v=WA9lfxbaHvk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's it a rip off of?

>edgar wright isn't creative

This is just objectively incorrect.

I drive

Drive was released in 2011.

Edgar Wright wrote Baby Driver as a college student aged 20, in 1994.

He directed a music video in the early 2000's that's inspired by his idea for the film.

So I can guarantee you it's not a copy.

Whenever he claims he "wrote" the film doesn't matter, the fact is that it's a safe, Hollywood version of a movie that was released earlier than this one was. Should be sued for plagiarism

The film had less in common with Drive than it did with a typical heist movie. You're fucking retarded, just kill yourself.

Outside of the fact that the main character drives a getaway vehicle. What else do you do think it ripped off?

Kys faggot

Your refn meme flick itself is a rip off of michael mann's thief

This.

I already said though, he directed a music video based on the film.

Mint Royale - Blue Song

It's about a music loving getaway driver, who drives around robbers.

He says "I'm a driver."

It's literally nothing like Drive apart from the fact the dude is a getaway driver. It's more similar to something like Kingsmen or Guardians of the Galaxy in tone.

DURR user THEY PUT DRIVE IN THE FILM TITLE IT MUST BE A RIP OFF

>It's more similar to something like Kingsmen or Guardians of the Galaxy in tone.
So it's pure and utter shit? Refn wins again.

Tell me which movie I'm describing

>young, possibly autistic getaway driver who doesn't talk much
>only drives
>wears a cool jacket
>movie has heavy emphasis on its unique soundtrack and stylish visuals
>meets a girl who he somewhat opens up to
>girl leads to him fucking shit up

nope, Drive fanboys please get over yourself.

>bothering to see a 20-year-old behind the wheel, that seasoned, hardened criminals seemingly trust with their money and their lives

Hello, millennial. The lead in this so-called "film" (a dishonest one, at that) is completely devoid of anything resembling "character". As you also possess none, allow me to explain.

Character is what's developed over a multitude of years, whether it be from working a shift at an abattoir and having some gruesomely-hilarious stories to tell your coworkers and/or friends, to being a getaway driver who's honed one's craft ALSO over a multitude of years, and probably has some hilarious stories to tell as well. You know - the stories one acquires from having actually lived life, as opposed to primping one's self in an upper-class cocoon one calls "home" and remaining blemish-free for the majority of one's entire 20 years.

Character, user, that usually manifests itself in lines across one's face - notably the forehead, around the mouth and around one's eyes. Lines that, should another person see them, they would automatically associate those lines with "I bet that person has some stories to tell." In this case, "Baby" has NO stories to tell. He has NO character. He has NO experience, NO interesting facial features and NO charisma. He is Gumby behind a steering wheel. One's immersion is ruined before one even decides to brave such a film, and one is left immeasurably-disappointed by the experience.

Unless of course, one is a millennial who has no idea about what "character" is.

THAT, user, is what I'm talking about. Character. Do YOU have any?

>>only drives
I'm going to say baby driver because the guy in drive did a lot more than drive. Maybe you should watch these movie before you start spouting bullshit.

So did Baby, let me rephrase

>intends only to drive, eventually is forced to shoot people and shit because he fucked shit up

You post on Sup Forums. In addition to likely being a millennial yourself, you are swimming in a kind of safe space that keeps you from developing what you call character. Get off your high horse

Nice projection, millennial scum.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's so completely different and doesn't invoke Drive at all

Just face it, only difference between this and Drive is that this had a stupid hollywood ending where you can shoot a guy in front of your five minute girlfriend and she's totally cool with it. And you get away with life-sentence tier crimes because you "had a good heart"

What part in driver where The driver secretly records people? When did the Driver pay off his debt? What scene did driver get arrested?

Some elements that are new doesn't discredit the many elements that are exactly the same. Face it, it's a ripoff and you've run out of arguments.

Hi guys, this is Edgar Wright.

I just wanted to mention that Baby Driver is definitely inspired by Drive, but really, it has a lot of inspiration from Walter Hill's The Driver, which is kind of like Jean-Pierre Melville's Lee Samourai, which, in turn, were both actually chiefly influenced by the 1942 film This Gun For Hire.

Thanks for watching the movie! I obviously have a of respect for Refn and co. I actually sat between Ansel Elgort and Ryan Gosling at the London premiere of Baby Driver. Ryan loved it.

Okay, enjoy your life.

More elements are new that that you claim to be borrowed. The borrowed one are just tropes that already exist before Drive. You think a getaway driver falling in love and getting into trouble is a new never done before plot.

Care to prove you're Edgar Wright somehow?

>enjoy your life

Is that just what redditors say when they're unequivocally proven wrong about something?

Nope, the entire role, personality, and even appearance of the protagonist were stolen directly from Drive. There are similar films but not this similar. I have never seen two more similar films in my life

>Nope, the entire role, personality, and even appearance of the protagonist were stolen directly from Drive.

I'm pretty sure you never seen any of these movies if you think that.

The girl in Baby Driver had absolutely nothing to do with the plot, other than that she kept getting caught up in his bullshit. In Drive, the female and her son are yes, literally the driving force of the plot, Drive Autist is very capable without her and she drags him into shit. In BD, his life caught up with him and he dragged her down with him.

What is your problem this isn't funny just get a life

Ben Affleck posted on Sup Forums, it's very likely
I havent seen an impersonator on Sup Forums for a while so I guess that meme dried up

>Claims to be Edgar Wright
>writes in an American accent
hack of a hack

I don't give a fuck.
I like both movies.

Have you seen more than two films in your life?

Autism does not grant people super powers.

>Edgar Wright wrote Baby Driver as a college student aged 20, in 1994.
Ho boy, not much left in the tank if he has to resort to reworking his old juvenilia. What next, A Fistful of Fingers Part Deux?

Considering that I'm just getting insults and non-arguments now I rest my case, Baby Driver is objectively a hollywoodified version of the superior Drive.

This is how Wright would think, as if Le Samourai bore any resemblance to This Gun For Hire. Melville was also influenced by The Asphalt Jungle more than any other film, but his work is sui generis in its style and tone. But Wright wouldn't know that, because he's TVTropes: The Person. Good work, user.

>Ben Affleck posted on Sup Forums

That wasn't real you dumbass

>These two character are a lot.
>How are they a lot
>People are insulting me so I win.

Autism.

>it's an autistic Refn fans get their jimmies rustled episode

how so?

Are you saying that there's anything but a direct, absolute lineage from This Gun For Hire to Le Samourai?

It's sad because I love Drive obviously, the movies are both great and it's so stupid to even post this shit but I'm pretty sure this sad fuck is just baiting for attention anyway so great thread everyone, let's go home.

Refn says that his inspiration was just a guy driving who listens to pop music to drown out the world. Literally what Baby does.

>people who disagree with are autistic and have no life!!!!!1

Kind of ironic considering what movies you "love" so much

Miles "Baby" Prower

*ahem*

Doesn't change the fact that Drive got made first and this one is riding on its coattails.

Yes, of course. You think it's direct because you only watched This Gun For Hire after Le Samourai on a reference-hunting tip, but Melville's uses of all his models and referents is incredibly eccentric and distinct, it makes no sense at all to say that This Gun For Hire directly leads to Le Samourai. It leads there via the mind of a genius. It would be like saying that Le Doulos was "chiefly influenced by City Streets".

wright did a reddit ama recently about babydriver

that should clear things up

you would know

I can't find it, stop making stuff up redditor

reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6kh7by/hi_im_edgar_wright_writerdirector_of_baby_driver/

You mean 1978's The Driver starring Ryan O'Neal? Or are y'all just a bunch of psueds who think Drive was original?

>nobody asked "why did you copy drive?"

Wasted opportunity desu

Forgot pic

Walter Hill is the voice of the interpreter for the deaf guy in the courtroom scene at the end.

what did you expect from redditcucks?

Why don't directors ever come here? We just got that guy from the dune documentary

i didnt know anyone else had seen this

Does he drive?

But The Driver didn't have the music gimmick Baby Driver is aping from Drive.

What are you talking about? It was on tv all the time in the 80s/90s, which is still the only place I've watched it.

He doesn't even listen to music in Drive, the only time the music is inside the movie is when it's coming out of the chicks party.

He's great at directing, shooting, and editing, but he's not such a good writer.

Face it. You've been blown the fuck out.

youtube.com/watch?v=WA9lfxbaHvk

It was a 7/10 and normies overhyped it. It's not a rip off of drive but it had a bunch of flaws and the music syncing up with everything got old fast

What pleb ranks Drive with the likes of Taxi Driver?

Hi guys, this is Ben Affleck.

It was totally real.

Batman Out.

only plebs don't

I wanted to see the movie when I saw the theatrical trailer because it gave off a serious tone but the TV trailer made it seem like a comedy and turned me off. What is it?

he may have written the script a certain way but he also made the movie a certain way

>missing my only opportunity for details on Jennifer Garner's sweaty aromas.

>muh Driver
>muh thief
please. Drive has even less in common with those than Baby Driver has in common with Drive (which isnt much)

youre missing the point of his post, it seems intentionally

Driving a car is something a lot of people do

>it's a redditor getting emotional because people don't agree with him episode

heh