Is there any movie with a story as good as Silent Hill 2's?

Is there any movie with a story as good as Silent Hill 2's?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6qalGezr76o
youtube.com/watch?v=LJHP4MK9CtY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

Jacob's Ladder

It's literally worse

How so?

Will there ever be a story in any form of media that will be as good as silent hill 2? There really is no way of portraying the vulnerability of human soul like a town full of freudian monsters.

youtu.be/6qalGezr76o

Silent hill loses all of its strenght when you realize everything there is fake.

Every aspect of the design, particularly the monsters, is intentional and related to the wider story. Some of the shit in ladder felt contrived just to be le phantasmagoric

two things that make a game great and memorable are atmosphere and soundtrack. Even if the gameplay isn't all that good, stiff sometimes like silent hill 2 or final fantasy 7. colors and mystery in the game lead to a sense of wonder, shadow of the colossus is another game that does this well.

a soundtrack really can make a game, i wouldn't say silent hill 2 had a special story, much of it is nonsense or kinda cheap, atmosphere though is a bit similar to lynch i guess.

maybe it's surrealism you'd be interested in, didnt the creator of silent hill say he was inspired by twin peaks? i could also swear that the whole fire part was inspired by Barton Fink, when john goodman says "it's always like this for me" or whatever

Pretty sure those monsters were representing the fucked up shit the character saw in Vietnam.

I prefer SH1's story desu

But it's not fake. The town physically manifests your tortured psyche.

I loved silent hill games when i was early teen and i have been watching twin peaks only now and holy shit if silent hill didn't get a lot of it's ideas from twin peaks. The whole concept of the town, all the spiritual and strange scenes/written things, the horror in earth below or in the forest, drug stuff in silent hill 1. It seemed to be the main inspiration.

it was, Twin Peaks inspired lots of stuff. The music in Silent Hill is supposed to be inspired by Angelo Badalamenti as well

What the fuck was black vagina demon dance club tenticals representing?

Silent Hill 2 is the only SH game that i've ever played (friend insisted it was the best in the series) and i still remember the music and gameplay from over 10 years ago

i wish i had more time, i'd start a new run

I mean the scene with James in the closet and pyramidhead stalking outside is like a shot for shot remake of a bit in Blue Velvet so the creators were obviously pulling from Lynch.

No wonder the music was so good then and i enjoy the music of twin peaks so much. But silent hill was still a mismash of many things. Mist came from the mist, the monsters from jacob's latter, the holes and hell below earth came also from real american coal towns where the coal caves have been set on fire.

F.E.A.R 1 & 2> Silent Hill

Is Silent Hill 2 the peak of artistic gaming? Literally the only 'arthouse' video game that has real artistic merit, depth, social commentary, and simply isn't a childish toy besides maybe MGS2.

how can other games even compete?

>FEAR 2
Come on now.
Neither FEARs are very scary, but the first one has god-tier gameplay. Silent Hill sticks with you a lot longer through the characters, environments and story. The only environment in the FEAR games was office buildings, sewers, and abandonned buildings. Maybe a few research labs, but that's all.

>Mist came from the mist
And the need to limit draw distance in an open world on the PS2, coupled with its absurd ability to render transparent textures well.

Silent Hill is a video game series for pretentious hipster fags who think they're sophisticated for "understanding" "intelligent" "high-brow" "psychological horror".

How does it have social commentary? I think it is received so well exactly because it has no bigger message, it just tells honest stories of how people can fuck up their lives.

Video games are arguably the one medium that can due horror as a genre better than film. Where as action games or more dramatic focused stories often seem like pale imitation of film, video games added level of immersion and identification with the protagonist naturally heightens the horror

it's literally freud 101, if you think anyone is a hipster or elitist for liking it you probably have a sub 80 iq, but then again, the video game community is so dumb and immature that anything that surpasses its shitty standards is considered amazing

Not him but Freud was a hack.

it's a social commentary on the unhealthy depths people will go to just to avoid their problems that are 'taboo'

I think that it was just a fact of life that people have hard time facing certain things bad enough.

It's definitely the most mature game I've played without ever feeling the need to shout about how mature it is. It's adult, miserable, lacks any sort of levity and everything in its design and story is meaningful. I first played it when I was twelve and I still love it.

Silent Hill 1 was better.

Silent Hill 4 is better.

Name a more powerful scene in cinema story than this.
youtube.com/watch?v=LJHP4MK9CtY