Why don't people in the U.S ever vote for any other party other than Republicrat or Democran?

Why don't people in the U.S ever vote for any other party other than Republicrat or Democran?

Generally, whoever gets more votes in a state gets ALL the delegates' electoral votes in that state. It's called "first-past-the-post" so a third party never has a chance. If 30% of people vote Rep, 25% vote Dem, 20% vote third party, then Reps get 100% of votes and the others 0%.

Non-presidential elections give a better chance for third party politicians to win, but it's harder since those parties have less power (less money, less connections, etc)

Ah I see, that kind of over representation doesn't seem like a good thing.

Old Lady PoopiePants.

Ross Perot got 19% of the votes, zero delegates.

Not like he would've won with only 19% anyway.

I know, but that's why it seems like only 2 parties get the votes

It's like a mexican standoff. If the democrats broke up into a bunch of ethno-parties, none of those parties would ever get any votes.

holy shit that guy is hilarious calling her autistic and shit so nonchalantly

It's too hard for them to keep more than two options in memory at the same time. 1 bit memory.

>Implying they have a choice
>Implying things aren't already planned

You don't have to be rude buddeh, I'm sure a majority of Americans are insulted by the choices in the election but may feel it's futile to even vote for other parties because strategic voting. Canada is just as bad because we have either liberal, conservative or NDP. Our TA's at university even had nice little ABC (Anything but conservative) spiels.

I understand it's a 2 sides of the same coin situation. Shit both of them are absolutely ugly as sin.

something something leaf
something something Trudeao

I was going to say something but I just figured the entire world has to be fucking retarded with the leaders "we're" choosing. Absolutely incredulous.

something something kraut
something something Merkel

They don't win

Because all other parties are more bonkers than the 2 majors.

honestly political parties change in the us every hundred years.

republicans used to be more liberal and democrats were more racist and conservative until the '60s so i think we'll probably see some new parties or platforms in the next few election cycles.

They do, all the time (Sanders is an Independent senator, for instance). There have been independent governors, representatives, etc on down the line.

At the national level for the biggest race (POTUS), however, there is a huge inertia to vote along party lines, and there is a huge amount of money going to party candidates.

Combined with winner-takes-all EC states, it's unlikely even relatively popular third party candidates will get electoral college votes.

>Have states
>States have congressional districts
>Have fptp voting
>party winning most districts wins the whole state
>all other votes are discarded
>People realize that the party they DO NOT want to win, will win if a third party splits the votes
>votes tactically for what they believe is the lesser of two evils
>over time people forget other parties even exist, and only vote for them when they stop caring about aforementioned "lesser evil" and can get their asses off of the couch on election day

How accurately have i described the US electoral system?

The GOP will collapse in our lifetime anyway. If Trump can't save it this November to last a little bit longer, then no one can.

because thats stupid

Problem is likely the rest of the system, with 'the delegates dahnald' and the electoral college.

I mean, must seem difficult trying to elect a third party, considering you can still lose, with the majority vote.