What are some languages you intuitively understand thanks to mutual intelligibility?

What are some languages you intuitively understand thanks to mutual intelligibility?
Me:
>Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, English
Romanian is the only romance language I don't understand save for a few words. It's the odd one in the group, a bit like English in the Germanic language group.

>English is mutually intelligible with French

t. anime poster

Spanish

trying too hard jean

swedish and danish

>he actually fell for it

>he fell for my post-ironic bait reply

eet iz zou

japanese

only Italian desu
Portuguese too sometimes but that's probably cause I speak Spanish

Well, a native English speaker would probably be able to look at a French text and pull out the important bits.
Spoken French is an entirely different animal though

Is that why all your countrymen immigrate there?

unironically probably one of the reasons

>izzou
pic

Filthy rumeno di merda

Portuguese, catalan, and like 50% of italian

Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Polish, Serbocroatian
Italian, Spanish

What's your native tongue?

Russian (also speak French)

>all these spanish-speakers thinking they can understand portuguese just because they can read it in text
literally japanese-tier
I'm 200% sure you fucks wouldn't be able to hold a conversation in real life

Dutch, English, Hungarian, Romanian, Russian, Japanese, Klingon

Written norwegian and swedish I can understand perfectly, spoken about 25%.
Written Icelandic I can understand about half of, spoken

where are you?

I can read a fair amount of Dutch and German to a lesser extent

Plus some Spanish through osmosis from all the immigrants

Somewhat unrelated, but I can also read some Japanese thanks to learning Chinese.

fasz

I can do the same with Spanish really, the thing is that English and French has a lot of false friends.

Same with Catalan.
It is funny to see so many of them who, after one or two generations here, are still recognizable by their shitty use of Catalan.
They think they can speak it by making literal translations of Spanish terms and expressions (or lack of them) all the time.
Put a Catalan word in front of them which has not cognates in Spanish, and watch them sweat.

Fucking none
our elvenspeak is vastly different from any other elvenspeak around us
It's vastly different from any other language actually

you're just strange Slavs, nothing more

I don't understand a shit of French and don't feel the urge to. I suppose you have studied Spanish or something to understand us.

French has more Greek influence than Portuguese, and it's also the most Germanic influenced Romance language. That's probably why you can't understand it, but I can understand written Portuguese to a fairly high degree because it's almost completely Latin.

can understand about half of written Ojibwe coming from Cree, maybe a bit more if I really try to pick out what the words actually mean.
Spoken Ojibwe though, is alot easier to understand, they speak alot slower too usually.
I would think it’s alot like this guy

Latin :^)

This

>burger thinks he has a right to speak

The thing with castillian speakers is the non-existent range of vowels.

Non-cognates happens with every pair of languages and you can infer it by context.

Weirdly enough, with all this rattle in Catalonia as of late, I learned that Catalan is basically a more open Portuguese with a syllable cut short just before the end. It also sounds slightly slavic like ours and leonese, which means Castilian is the weird vowellet of the place.

You can probably read Portuguese, but I doubt you'd be able to understand spoken Portuguese. Even we have trouble, sometimes.

>It also sounds slightly slavic like ours and leonese, which means Castilian is the weird vowellet of the place.
You forgot the basques, in fact the vowel system of the castillian language is the same than the basque one, that's because the basque influ a lot in the castillian language in its origins (at first the county of castile was formed by santander, burgos, rioja, bizkaia and araba)

Yeah, but the basques aren't romanic.

Portuguese/Galician has a lot of celtic influence, and a fair few celtic words, hence the weird non-romanic sound.

i romeni sobbraviragazzi
ricordate codreanu e antonescu
e le bonazze che hanno
e i soldi di plastica