How's Your Webcomic? /hyw/ #300

300th anniversary edition

Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Critique and comment on others' work!
Previous thread:SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY THREAD ACTIVITY: Show off your comic and give us a synopsis of it, with a link!

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
decompressed-comic.tumblr.com/archive
amazon.com/Sunnyville-Stories-1-Max-West-ebook/dp/B00EP51OU6/ref=zg_bs_11468684011_2#navbar
householdslimemold.tumblr.com/post/147611169506
tapastic.com/episode/363470
freakanimes.info/westtree/
imgur.com/a/9qgij
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

Ranked #1 in Kindle graphic novels in the “everyday life” category!! That it actually reached a number 1 ranking is nothing to sneeze at. This is what the TV Tropes would call “a crowning moment of awesome”.

great you killed the thread with a single post

you already posted this mean-spirited jabroni shit in the last thread. Can we move on?

>googly eyes
bless you

Thoughts on this character design? He's gonna be a civilian side character in a later chapter.

Also, just for the sake of discussion, what are you guy's process for coming up with character designs? Do you look at references or work mainly from imagination? What sources of inspiration do you draw from for your character designs?

Are those spikes on top hair or horns? It could be a little clearer.

It's also a personal peeve but it really bugs me when someone's glasses aren't big enough to actually frame the eyes.

>what are you guy's process for coming up with character designs?
1: decide hair color
2: decide boob size (either big or very big)
3: insert into comic
pic related for an example

though in all seriousness, it's a good design. the muted color palette suits him, and you can really see a lot of character in his posture/expression

I dig it! the slight hunchedness, the cute little paws.. basically a not-ugly david-the-gnome troll, i like those. and you're calling it a gremlin? I called those brownies. I've considered having gremlins but apparently the mythology straight up starts in WWI (or was it 2?) and never describes them, so that's no fun.
i also like the doogly expression.

I largely mix together things I like, from animu and vidyagames. but usually later on I wish I had used references so I'd get little things right like clothes or how hairstyles work. Now if we're talking about designing creatures, that's a whole different thing. there's like, anatomical studies there, proportional studies, all of that.

dude i get it, you're insecure about your own art so you feel like bullying this other shitty artist. can you take that to Sup Forums or deviantart or something? don't bring the rest of us down with you, jabroni

>SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY THREAD ACTIVITY: Show off your comic and give us a synopsis of it, with a link!

Decompressed is inspired by Problem Sleuth and cult hit videogame Space Station 13. MS Paint Adventures meets Star Trek somewhere near Sealab 2021. It is currently concluding Sector 1, the prologue chapter of its story.

It’s the spacefuture, and you are a hapless background greyshirt Staff Assistant in the brig of a space station. As is to be expected, you intend to escape the brig and leave the space station. This involves getting around mind-controlling aliens, incompetent security, structural hazards, dangerous astrophysical phenomena, shapeshifting biohorrors, mutinous crew, blood cults, and ruthless mercenaries from enemy corporations.

Now begins the most convoluted space jailbreak ever conceived.

decompressed-comic.tumblr.com/archive

How is that bullying?

Does anyone else ever work on their webcomic while drunk?

sorry, bullying was bad word choice
mockery is more appropriate, but that's still not what this thread is for

nobody cares about this sunnyville guy, you fucked up an entire one third of "how's your webcomic", the "your" part

No worries. But how is it mocking?

displaying clearly shitty work with the sole intent of poking fun at it?

>clearly shitty work
Hey, there's no need for that kind of disparagement. Who are you to say it's shitty?

come on, dude, you know what you're doing

well it's what bullying was in our day, before it became a hotbutton thing used almost entirely for gays

It's probably best to stop replying at this point. I've replied to this guy before and he took me down a goddamn rabbit hole. he's too good.
Funny thing is up til this point I thought that was the artist, and people were pretty polite to them while still realistic about it.

I'm posting pictures from a #1 Ranked Kindle comic. You're the one calling it shitty and claiming people are mocking it s~o~m~e~h~o~w

link?

it's time for a 300th thread celebration and in celebration we're going to shitpost while nobody posts their webcomic

I'm working on both an update and a promo piece. Relax.

They're supposed to be horns, I tried adding some highlights to make that be clearer. Is it more apparent they're horns now?
And yeah, I tried giving him bigger glasses before but then they came more off as "nerd glasses" because his eyes are already so big.

Thanks, I'm trying to make my character's personalities fit their appearances better. And cute art by the way! What's your comic?

I called him a gremlin rather than a troll because there's so little mythology about them, all I could find on them was some WW2 safety posters. I took the lack of information as an opportunity to do whatever I wanted with the myth. By the way, thanks for name dropping David the Gnome, this stuff looks adorable. I oughta watch it later.

eh.. i'm kinda busy on my comic to do a promotion, but we'll see

I knew they were horns, but you have to admit black horns on black spiky hair is never going to read perfectly.
>you didn't grow up on nick junior in the early 90s
oh shit man you're in for a treat of weird feels

The highlights help, but perhaps a different color might be best. Think of it as an opportunity to brand your gremlin species a little more strongly, like Hussie's trolls with their candy corn horns. (I'm not saying you should make them striped, I'm saying make it uniquely yours.)

Or just the lighter-gray color of the far-ear that's currently being used to make the hair stand out against it (even though it should probably be the other way around)

I wonder how they'd look with some bright white specular reflections, like they were polished or something.

>Cute art! What's your comic?
Thanks! thought it's actually not a comic; i'm working on an animated short, these threads are just a pretty good place to discuss character design/art
That design is actually kind of a visual gag/disguise. the big boobs are actually concealed steel ball weapons.

Slipped to #2 now, but 4.5 stars, and on sale!
amazon.com/Sunnyville-Stories-1-Max-West-ebook/dp/B00EP51OU6/ref=zg_bs_11468684011_2#navbar

I got hardly any good promotional stuff for my webcomic but I'll take a crack.

Household Slime Mold is an urban fantasy story about an aspiring witch named Mildew living in a city of strange and monstrous peoples. As she tries to learn magic, she finds herself caught up in nefarious plots from all over the city.

Tumblr: householdslimemold.tumblr.com/post/147611169506
Tapastic: tapastic.com/episode/363470

Alright, I'll try to keep playing with him. I don't want to make him too flashy, because that's just not what I had in mind, but I think in the future I'll try 's idea.

Pfft, that's kinda clever, I like it. Hope to see more of your stuff in the future.

Huh. Well good for him.

pls tell me you're not as old as you look

Upvotes from your mom don't count, faggot.

I think this has potential, man. Just gotta watch those facial features, they will slip away from your weak grasp if you don't keep it firm. that guy that draws the space lizard girl had the same issue. but i really dig this
In case you haven't been following along, this is a troll posting some kid's artwork and pretending to be him, so we'll get mad.

>some kid
All true, except the actual artist is in his mid-30s.

doesnt stop you from being a kid, as we plainly see here.

I don't see any reason why anybody should be upset over any of this. If he has good sales figures, then that's fine, and doesn't affect anything else.

And besides, for all we know, he's buying his own comic in bulk. It's common among self-published lolcows.

How many copies do you need to sell to get #1 ranked on Kindle?

It's for a very specific category, he's not number one over all. Few hundred, probably.

Thanks. I'll try to get my faces looking better, I'm planing to do more realistic face studies once summer's over which will hopefully help my stylized faces.

Can we just lay this to rest? Sunnyville Stories guy impersonations were funny the first time but now it's just tired.

That's a lot more sales than I would have expected. I guess those reviews are real.

>steel ball says oppai on it
noice

They're probably either him or his close friends from his church group or whatever.

when was the first time?

If yellow is the worst colour in acrylics because it doesn't cover shit, orange is the shittiest digital colour, because it always ends being muddy And lifeless once you want a yellowish dark orange.

I don't think anyone is upset, rather they get a rush from bullying the obvious lowhanging fruit. It feels good to be the clear winner for once in your life.

Thread #265
source: i just picked a number, but what difference does it make. were you actually going to go look it up?

It would be hilarious if the actual Sunnyville guy showed up and no one believed it was him.

And JPG apparently darks my colours, in addition. I guess I need to light up my psd a bit.

True. And it's not so great when you want a bright orange either. Is that because of the nature of RGB LEDs?

Still not seeing the posting=bullying connection... it's just sorta tedious.

Wanted to know if this was a recurring thing that happens over and over.

that doesn't make sense. it should save it exactly.

No idea, to be honest. Could be, but I don't really now.

just so we're clear, we're talking about the "haha look at the loser let's make fun of him" behavior. what would you call that?
Yep. recurring

schadenfreuding

It may be my own impression then. I paint with a dark background, but here we have light background. Could be an optical illusion. In any case, I'll correct brightness, just in case. I want a dark-as-a-nightmare feel, but I'm not digging how it looks in contrast to light backgrounds.

He has a #1 Ranked Kindle comic. Why would anyone make fun of him? Sorry about your projection where you think everyone's bullying him for reasons.

There are artists here worse than he is, so I think you're overracting.

Just so we're clear, you're the one calling his work shitty.

>schadenfreuding
That's a little different though. When you're the one causing or broadcasting the failure that you then enjoy.. usually schadenfreude is more passive than that.

starting with , read down a bit

So "atrocity tourism" then?

mmm, no sort of like, in the other direction. I think we enjoy atrocities just for the sheer spectacle, right?

Schaudenfreude is taking pleasure in bad shit happening to other people.

Usage: "I took Schadenfreude in other people getting rejected from Hiveworks, then blaming SJWs for it."

Nothing bad happened to this guy.

Something like that. Sunnyville guy is boring but the people white knighting him have been entertaining.

I think a lot of terrible things happened to this guy, but he isn't really aware of it. So yeah, you agree, that's not the term to use.

why are we still talking about this?
>white knighting
uhh no, we just want the guy pretending to be him to stop. and the people talking about him to shut up.

There are people here who are so insecure about their own work that they have to jump to the defense of someone else being lightly criticized behind his back.

That is hilarious.

Big Guts edition.

Nobody's actually coming to his defense.

Calling user an obnoxious prick is something different.

I like how she's not happy about doing it

>there are artists here worse than he is
No there aren't.

>anybody who isn't an asshole like me is insecure about their own work
Nice projection, there, really says a lot about yourself.

> Nobody's actually coming to his defense.

Yes they are.

WIP of the next page!

My comic is called West Tree Academy of Heroes! It is a comic about kids learning how to become heroes and dealing with there teenaged dramas, all in the while thwarting villians and stoping them from bringing back the god of evil, Leafy! freakanimes.info/westtree/

1, 2, and 4 clearly aren't defense in any stretch of the word. just asking you to stop. a retard could understand the difference between "Stop saying mean things about him to him" and "stop saying mean things about him to US" seeing as he isn't even here
3 is you or one of yours, obviously, false flagging.
now let us have no more posts about this in our triumphant 300th thread

cmon Dewd I know you can do hand proportions better than that. You wanna maybe go back and rework those?
>i had to punish you as it was my duty as a gentleman to punish you
little redundancy there
nice job on no typos again though. I'm glad you're putting the work in on checking that shit. also crosshairs' antics amuse me. also good punchline. jack's expression there is great. I would add "i am actually bleeding, gracious me!" or something at the end.

Man you really care about this guy's rep.

>I don't care lol
>still replies
You get paid for this?

Well, you see, in the first panel that was his finger he used to shoot jack with and that finger deflated.

also he has really big ballon fingers.

Which one of his 5-star Amazon reviews was yours? Can we just stop with all the Sunnyville shit already?

ohhh okay, I get it. Ehh I suppose that's fine then, but could still use some work. Subtle things like that are tough to get across.

Ive been trying to have most of the panels, not just be face shots. here's todays progress
imgur.com/a/9qgij

Well, I mean, the audiance gets an explination for that in his bio so I don't think theirs going to be too much trouble for the audiance.

An animation studio wants to make your webcomic into a tv show. Which studio would be ideal for you?

Audiences don't read bios, though.

I think I missed something.. wasn't she crying about her mombie last page?

i didn't pay it much mind because it seemed to be an explanation of his limits, not of his physical changes exactly. I read that he can only do finger gun once per finger, and can only inflate such and such once a day, but i didn't read any connection between inflation and the gun attack, nor that once used, the digit DEflates.

Group TAC
shit, they closed down

>we found your planet to work well enough to house our planet

Um... What?

they were attacked at the end of the last chapter.

fuck. did I spell it wrong? Ive been tired all day. Ill go back and rewrite that.