Why doesn't America raise rabbits for the purpose of free meal plans?

Why doesn't America raise rabbits for the purpose of free meal plans?

Assume that you want to feed the homeless. Not everyone wants to feed the homeless with their tax dollars and that's a valid belief. But that's not what I'm asking. By and large, I think most Americans want poor people to eat. This would hopefully result in the rabbit meat stigma going away and all Americans having access to a cheaper type of meat, which would help numerous families.

I know that people keep these as pets, I have one, and that domestic familiarity might turn some people off of the idea. I figure Easter is another big part of why most American stores don't carry rabbit meat. But would a homeless person care if his dinner had a cute face? No. Would an impoverished family care? I would hope not.

I'm just assuming based on their size and multiplication skills that they would be quick and cheap to produce and not require a lot of land to do so. These are some of the most plentiful breeders on Earth and we are not using them to combat global hunger and rising GMO necessity because animals are too cute.

Or if I put my conspiracy glasses on for a second, the government wants us to think that GMOs are the only viable way to combat growing population numbers.

What does Sup Forums think about the idea of feeding rabbits to homeless and lower income families? If this seems gross or immoral to you for any reason, please explain why.

I tried eating rabbit like 3 days ago and the meat was so hard to get off the bone. It tasted like squirrel though.

PETA would thow a fucking fit, and the hobos just wouldn't care. low-income aka niggers want fried gibsmedat

Would you find it morally ambiguous to feed it to a homeless person while the rest of the country ate beef?

I'm also curious about whether the rabbit you has was raised or wild since that can affect muscle development.

Eating too much rabbit can result in protein poisoning, and most rabbits are infected with worms or other bacteria.

Why eat rabbits when there are plenty of surplus humans?

I thought about PETA and I have a solution, I think. They would still throw a fit, but I can get the public on my side.

Every type of pet has certain breeds which are too aggressive or large to legally keep as a pet. We don't farm a fluffy domesticated rabbit, we find the bigger wilder hares living in the mountains or deserts and we farm those ones specifically.

As a supplimental or substitute meat to go with a meal, maybe. However just rabbit meat itself is a no-go. They are too lean, and result in malnutrition and "rabbit starvation".
Although rabbit and hare has been eaten since mankind has been able to catch them, most of the pet populace that own rabbits will be against it, as will the animal rights groups. They will see it as a slippery slope and fear becoming a society that treats the most beloved of pets the way the gooks do.
Honestly though, so long as the meat is clean and there is no abuse involved i am for the idea.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some research on that myself, but do you know the names of the bacteria they can get? Essentially, I want to look into whether proper farming can keep the risk of disease sufficiently low.

Protein poisoning is new to me. I'm about to Google it. It doesn't completely shit all over my idea, does it?

Alright, so I'm getting now that we can't just feed homeless people rabbits. Would rabbits plus a veggie/fruit medley be enough or do wee need other meats in there?

About your point about PETA and pet owners

If we farm a breed too aggressive to legally own as a pet, I think pet owners will be okay with it. PETA will whine and moan but there is no way they can spin public opinion against feeding the homeless. At least I don't think so. What's your opinion on that?

I'm reading the effects of rabbit poisoning and does put a bit of a snag on things. I think rabbit meat can still be utilized to help with the homeless situation, but not cure it.

However, I still want to push the idea and hopefully continue to get input from here. Feeding the homeless is my bare minimum goal with this. My endgame is to see commercial rabbit meat sold in stores in every state across the US as a cheap alternative meat. I don't think families including it in their groceries are at risk of rabbit poisoning since they wouldn't go on an all-rabbit diet.

And here's a picture of an adorable rabbit and what it would look like next to some adorable chickens and cows.

I raise rabbits because I'm not a stupid sheeple.
Rabbits are delicious, nutritious, and easy to raise. Easier than raising chickens for chrissakes, and you can literally feed them yard trimmings.
I totally agree that they are a completely neglected food source by and large. Yes, if you only ate rabbit and nothing else you'd probably get sick and die, but as a protein and vitamin supplement, theyre the bomb.

btw OP your pic is not especially humane. Rabbits deserve a little more headroom, and maybe some fresh grass and stuff.

Rabbit is delicious. Bread and fry the loins, stew the rest. Niggers and homeless don't deserve this great meat. Make all free gibs vegetarian. See how long before the lazy niggers start working to eat some meat. No free cheese or meat to the lazy niggers. Let them complain, sicc PETA on them for being ungrateful sponges on society

I think this just solves the homeless problem.

The vast majority of homeless people in America are not starving. They don't need help, they chose that life.

Would I be better serving my interests to immediately push for more rabbit farming or to begin by making current rabbit farms more humane?

>I think most Americans want poor people to eat.
THIS! Hopefully the economy will collapse soon, I'm starving.

I love it.
rabbit meat is so fuckin good, srsly

raise your own, you lazy fucker :)

People don't go hungry due to lack of food. We already produce more food then we could ever eat. Our government actually pays farmers not to grow crops.

cook a man a rabbit, the man eats for a day

teach the rabbit to fish, the man eats for eternity

---> /rab/

what is rabbit starvation for 400$

why dont the homeless just learn to hunt rats and pigeons ?

With all do respect guys, you are not from this country and you haven't added anything new to the discussion. What are you doing with your lives presently?

I'm positive they do.

so whats the problem
at least they have to work for it

Well I haven't researched it but pigeons are probably gross ass fuck and would kill you. Rats it may be a case by case sort of thing. Again, haven't looked into that.

Rabbit meat can't be the end all solution to the homeless but it can be a useful tool for organizations that give out meals. They would make certain to use rabbit in appropriate portions with other foods.

Rabbit sold in stores can be labeled for the dangers and public awareness can be raised. The only people eating rabbit all the time will be suicidal people and that won't be my fault fuck them. It's still a product that can sell big and sell cheap. It helps lower income families find a good dinner at least one night a week. It could probably have a dumb fitness trend period because somebody somewhere will say the word protein. It could spark a new wave a culinary dishes. It could raise rabbit sales as pets when we start getting the white guilt. The destigmatization of rabbit meat is an all-around good concept.

rabbit starvation isn't what you think it is.

there's a high protein content and low fat content, which drains sugars from the body slowly (no, NOT losing weight.) people who hunt small game tend to not be able to eat starches, so eating exclusively rabbits (or phaesants, for that matter) will eventually deprive the bdy of all sugars and kill you.

the same happens with any diet high in protein and insufficiently high in either fats or carbs

That's almost the dumbest thing I've ever read here. Wouldn't you at least do a quick wiki check before typing something that fucking stupid?

>Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning, mal de caribou, or fat starvation, is a rare form of acute malnutrition thought to be caused by a complete absence of fat.
oh, so I was right...