Read Tolstoy

>read Tolstoy
>characters burst into tears at the drop of a hat and yell or kiss or hug each other at the drop of a dime
>read Dostoyevsky
>characters are so racked with guilt and worry over minor issues that they become bedridden and feverish
>read Mikhail Bulgakov
>characters can't control their emotions and have literal mental breakdowns that turn them mentally ill over trivial things

Why are Russians so fragile?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukkojunkkari
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck you

maybe you should stick to Hemingway

>characters are so racked with guilt and worry over minor issues that they become bedridden and feverish
>minor issues

What are you reading?

sounds pretty much like notes from the underground

Basically all 19th century literature is like that. Flaubert, Goethe, etc.

Axe-murdering someone isn't considered a minor issue in Canada?

in the US the consider killing an old-lady a minor issue

>read dostojewsky
>constant butthurt at Polish people

hmmm

>Love leaped out in front of us like a murderer in an alley leaping out of nowhere, and struck us both at once. As lightning strikes, as a Finnish knife strikes!

What did he mean by this?

Shut up mutt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukkojunkkari

"shouted both the Poles... like a couple of cocks."
Kek'd

>read a modern British novel (1890-1920 time frame)
>characters are siting at the table, the protagonist is thinking about what might the person opposite of him/her think, or whether the said individual is thinking about the person siting at the head of the table, or whether the said person is thinking about what the thoughts of the person siting at the head of the table, since their relationship offers few kind words and a lot of incessantly stacked inner monologues and observations
>melancholia, melancholia, melancholia
>poorly reflected interaction with reality conflicting with a tsunami of passive aggressive laced emotions
Ah, refreshing

>read an American novel: >Another man was coming up from the jakes and they met halfway on the narrow planks. The man before him swayed slightly. His wet hatbrim fell to his shoulders save in the front where it was pinned back. He held a bottle loosely in one hand. You better get out of my way, he said.
>The kid wasn't going to do that and he saw no use in discussing it. He kicked the man in the jaw. The man went down and got up again.
>He said: I'm goin to kill you.
>He swung with the bottle and the kid ducked and he swung again and the kid stepped back. When the kid hit him the man shattered the bottle against the side of his head.
>He went off the boards into the mud and the man lunged after him with the jagged bottleneck and tried to stick it in his eye. The kid was fending with his hands and they were slick with blood. He kept trying to reach into his boot for his knife.
>Kill your ass, the man said. They slogged about in the dark of the lot, coming out of their boots. The kid had his knife now and they circled crabwise and when the man lurched at him he cut the man's shirt open. The man threw down the bottleneck and unsheathed an immense bowieknife from behind his neck.
>His hat had come off and his black and ropy locks swung about his head and he had codified his threats to the one word kill like a crazed chant.
>That'ns cut, said one of several men standing along the walkway watching.
>Kill kill slobbered the man wading forward.
>But someone else was coming down the lot, great steady sucking sounds like a cow.
>He was carrying a huge shellalegh. He reached the kid first and when he swung with the club the kid went face down in the mud. >He'd have died if someone hadn't turned him over.

>ywn be a drunken 19th century finnish criminal

The Virgin Intellectual vs. the Chad Kulak?

>read american litterature
>OMG DUUUUUDE illuminazis KILL the HOLE POPA *dabs*

>english translation of a russian book uses Polish vocabulary
Can a Russian say how is it in the original? Does Mitia address the Poles per Pan/Panowie too?
I always assumed that in the original it was just a translation from whatever russian word for Mister is (gospodin?)

On the left
>American: no one can hit me, because we have freedom.
On the right
>Russian: I can hit anyone, because we have freedom.

Are you going to cry now?

shut up

Its Pan/Panowie

Dostoyevsky's characters do sound awfully melodramatic sometimes. I can't read any Russian so maybe it's just the translation?

hahaha...
definitely crying

psychological realism.

Nice. Had no idea.

if you want real melodrama read the earlier writers. the romantics. it will make you vomit

What are you going to do? Cry on me?

Edgar Allan Poe, Wordsworth, William Blake are all really good, but I'll never get why Goethe is held in such high regard.

im not talking to you

didn't understand a word of that to be desu

yeah I noticed that with dosto and chekhov too every one of their characters is so emotive

I read this part about 3 days ago
Why is judge so mean and him and glanton are like big bullies and always laugh at stupid people or goad shy people
so cruel
and judge kills pups while glanton gives them beef jerky

I read Crime and Punishment and The Karamazov Brothers in Italian. The notes clearly state that in the original Russian version Dostoevskij used Polish.

tsundere as fuck

I love this. I often find characters in american literature too stoic. My favourite American author is probably PKD who often writes very emotional characters.

Try Donna Tartt, she's brilliant. The Goldfinch is my favourite recent read.

Did you identify with JR Isidore?
I wanted to live his life except without the humiliation at work

That's why it's so hard for me to read those books from the late 19th century/early 20th century, the characters always do stuff that seems illogical and bewildering and talk nonsense.

Fucking Young Werther, hated that stupid runt.

Yeah I hate Jane Austen too. Pride and Prejudice is the Twilight of the 19th century.

>too stoic for a Slav

damn son

alcoholism

>Russians
>emotions

I thought all Asians were emotionless?

>asians
finns are supposedly stoic if that's what you mean

>Americans
>read
Right.

>le reddit joke
Kys

We are really sensitive, please do not bully.

t. Boris Vladimirovich