Anyone here familiar with the Norwegian language course "The Mystery of Nils...

Anyone here familiar with the Norwegian language course "The Mystery of Nils?" It came highly recommended by quite a few sources online. I bought both of the books, however when I went to their website I discovered the """free""" audio course is actually just a pronunciation guide. If I want to actually hear the words in the book read aloud, I have to pay a monthly subscription.

Is this correct? Or am I looking at the wrong thing. I didn't realize Norwegians were such greedy kikes. If anyone knows any other language courses on Norwegian I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to make it a goal to learn Norwegian, Swedish, and Icelandic but the first and last are especially hard to find materials for.

Other urls found in this thread:

ntnu.edu/now/info/downloads
youtube.com/watch?v=xrYL07hPw4w
imdb.com/title/tt3280150/
imdb.com/title/tt4591834/
imdb.com/title/tt2750688/
imdb.com/title/tt3582458/
imdb.com/title/tt1678020/
imdb.com/title/tt5170828/
imdb.com/title/tt7468900/
imdb.com/title/tt2642456/
imdb.com/title/tt1711386/
imdb.com/title/tt2257673/
imdb.com/title/tt3138102/
imdb.com/title/tt5157290/
imdb.com/title/tt1383294/
imdb.com/title/tt2043143/
imdb.com/title/tt2149738/
imdb.com/title/tt3660002/
youtube.com/watch?v=1-tKbnakMk8
youtube.com/watch?v=DR7uHSXrJaw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dont spend any money, you'll have given up on your "getting in touch with my roots" project within 2 months.

What do you mean "getting in touch with my roots?" I'm not Norwegian, my family has been in this country for 300 years and I couldn't care less about what country they came from before then. I plan on sailing to Norway in about two years though and I just wanted to learn the languages of the places I'm going to be staying in.

in that case there is no need. Literally everybody speaks at least conversational english, the others speak it fluently. They get their daily fill of yank trash tv and it's only subtitled rather than dubbed ie. no need to learn it.

just learn please, thankyou, and most importantly: don't spread that filthy fake smile all yanks seem to have; it's not natural, it's not comfortable and it's not welcome.

I don't care if everyone speaks English. When I go to another country, I don't want to speak my language and interact with my culture. I don't see why you're concerned with why I want to learn Nordic languages anyways, I wasn't planning on visiting the German Caliphate while I was in the area.

B8

Not wanting to hear a bunch of people speaking English when I visit somewhere on the opposite side of the globe is b8?

you're missing the point. They will not bother to speak to you in norwegian even if you have the basics. It's simply easier to speak in English. Take it from somebody that has lived in Norway. They will only be willing to continue speaking norwegian with you if you are at a truly decent level and reading from a book with a shitty audio guide will not get you that far.

I think the majority of anglos miss the point that unless you are going to put the effort in to become at least b2 conversational, there is literally no point in learning a language- unless, like most yanks, it's just to show how cool and different you are despite only knowing

When did I say I planned on half-assing it? This isn't the first language I've learned and I don't study foreign languages to just get to basic proficiency. I aim for fluency or nothing. Are all of you people this hostile to someone wanting to learn your language?

next thing you'll be telling us you want to learn Nynorsk :^). Stop holding the assumption that anyone will give you the time of day because you speak their language to a terrible level. It makes you look just as pathetic as the average simon sanchez walking around with his bum-bag looking for the nearest mcdonalds on his heritage trip to napoli

It must be really depressing being such an angsty faggot that you're this hostile to anyone who visits another country. I'm not some tourist looking to take Instagram photos. I've spent 15 years of my life at sea in the Merchant Marine, I can absolutely guarantee you that I've seen more of this planet and its cultures, people, and languages than you ever have or ever will. I'm going to Scandinavia because I want to sail the North and Baltic Seas. I don't expect anyone to give me the time of day if I can't speak their language, that's why I'm making the effort to learn it. Like I said, I wasn't planning on visiting your country so I don't see why you're concerned. Just fuck off and hide the thread you turbo-autist.

there is nothing wrong about learning nynorsk

> I'm not some tourist looking to take Instagram photos. I've spent 15 years of my life at sea in the Merchant Marine, I can absolutely guarantee you that I've seen more of this planet and its cultures, people, and languages than you ever have or ever will.

>tl;dr I'm better than you, I've done more than, user that I dont know, I'm different and special you'll see!

M8, even if you did learn Norwegian, why would anyone want to speak with such a colossal cunt as you?

I had a question about that, actually. I know Nynorsk is more common in rural, western Norway, which is where I plan on spending most of my time in Norway since I'm sailing there and exploring the fjords and whatnot. But it's hard enough finding learning materials on Bokmal, let alone Nynorsk. On the off-chance that I'll have to communicate to anyone in writing, do pretty much all Norwegians understand the two writing systems?

Granted it's useful depending on where you are based but nynorsk courses are a haven for snowflake "polyglots"

> im learning a language I know NOTHING about

Jesus christ m8

I never said I'm different or special, just pointed out the fact that you're the faggot getting angry at someone on an incognito Tibetan finger painting emporium for wanting to learn a language that isn't even spoken in your country. You also first assumed I was some kind of faggot with delusions of being a Viking, and then when that was wrong you assumed I was some kind of tourist with sunscreen on my nose and a camera around my neck, despite the fact that you've probably never even been to a country that you had to bring your passport to get in to. And now all you have left to vent your autistic rage is le 56% mutt-memes. Fuck off and leave the thread, you enormous faggot.

>You must know EVERYTHING about a subject you want to learn BEFORE you learn it

I can almost see how red in the face you're getting, slamming your hands on your keyboard in rage at someone on the other side of the world, who isn't even interested in your opinion.

Are you reddit because you sound like reddit

we all have to learn bokmål and nynorsk and theyre close enough for you to understand the other without much practice. you might struggle a bit to understand what theyre saying but youll be fine

Why make assumptions about me when you obviously get so buttblasted if I make them about you? Last time I checked, it's americans that have the worst reputation as ignorant idiots, not germans. I'd be interested to see what metric you based your assumption that I don't travel out of the eu zone from.

> I've bought a book and some audio in order to learn a language

> oh wait, which writing system should I use?

You should stop the vanity project now, Norwegians aren't impressed by show offs

Thanks, that's good to know. The only thing I'm worried about with Norwegian is understanding the different dialects, so hopefully I can find some people to talk to online to work through it. I've heard that accents and dialects can vary wildly in Norwegian just by hopping over one valley, because of the relative isolation of different towns and villages. So long as I can get supplies and any information from local fishermen or whatever that I need (like uncharted hazards to navigation, shoals, stuff like that), I think I'll be fine.

the dialects can get a bit tricky on the western coast, especially for people who have never heard them before but just ask them to speak slowly if youre struggling

Why is this German being so hostile? American tourists usually get hated on for not attempting to learn at least a little bit of the language and culture in the country they’re going to. But when we do try, we also get hated on. I don’t understand really, I hope Europeans aren’t as stupid as that guy. OP just wants to be able to enjoy his time in Norway, I don’t see how attempting to speak Norwegian will hurt anybody.

Just ignore him, he's just a pissed off turbo-autist. I've spent a lot of time in Europe and everyone I met was really excited when I spoke to them in their native language instead of just assuming they'd speak English. He's probably angry because Ahmed is raping his wife and tourists are ignoring Germany like the plague because they're afraid of being run down by a truck of peace.

Just learn the basics and try watching a norwegian tv-series, like skam.

Too bad norwegians are unable to make any good shows so I don't have any others to recommend.

This. American Netflix currently has shows like Lillehammer and Occupied too

I watched the movie Trollhunter once and it was pretty good. Maybe I'll start watching it with the subtitles off and see if I can't make any sense out of it.

Damn, this book course really is bullshit. I just signed up for the pronunciation guide, which is about the only audio aspect of the books that is free. They literally send you a video once a day on how to pronounce one letter. That's it. You're allowed to learn one letter at a time unless you pay a monthly subscription. These books are bullshit, I'm guessing all the positive reviews I saw online for it were paid shills.

Good luck on your journey, and study hard (not Asian hard, Finnish hard). By the way, it's super duper rare to encounter Americans here in Denmark. The last time I've seen Americans, was when these two Mormons were walking around and spreading their memes. But to get to the point; I really enjoy American company, and I love holding English conversations with actual Americans (wow I find foreigners interesting). Just expect some people to be like-minded. I also like to encourage their interest in my own language, and will literally help them become better while they're here. So it kinda goes both ways I guess.

That's nice to know you people are very accepting of foreigners. I'm interested in learning Danish at some point as well, especially since I've encountered a lot of Danish sailors during my time at sea. I've heard the pronunciation is much more difficult than the other Nordic languages however, with the exception of maybe Icelandic.

If you want free dialogues just download the NTNU beginners course,

ntnu.edu/now/info/downloads

You'll end up being fluent at life if you stay so optimistic.

BREAKING: NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE OF GERMAN user ITT: youtube.com/watch?v=xrYL07hPw4w

Kek, nice to know America isn't the only country with autistic, dysfunctional families
Haha thank you, the encouragement isn't appreciated. At sea there's basically nothing to do in your off time except work out and read, so if I can gather up enough listening materials, I'll have plenty of time to work on all the different Scandinavian languages on my next trip out. Danish is probably the most useful one for my trade, so that'll be on the to-do list after Norwegian. I'd really like to learn Icelandic at some point if for nothing else than to be able to read the Eddas, but it's not a priority.

>M8, even if you did learn Norwegian, why would anyone want to speak with such a colossal cunt as you?

Atleast we like burgers better than you Fritz'es

Sounds like a rich life (experience wise). Best of luck dude.

>Atleast we like burgers better than you Fritz'es
100% this. Americans >>>>> Germshits.
Americans are an atlantic, maritime, freedom loving people just as we are. Germshits are thoroughly alien.

Shit, I just realized I said "the encouragement isn't appreciated." I obviously meant to say "the encouragement IS appreciated." Thanks again for the wishes of good luck.

>Americans are an atlantic, maritime, freedom loving people just as we are
Exactly why I want to visit Norway so bad, Norgebro. I hope I'm able to find some experienced sailors while I'm there that can help me with local knowledge of the area. Grounding my boat on a skerry or some shit because I didn't realize it wasn't visible at high tide would put a serious damper on my trip, especially since my sailboat is made of wood.

I thought so :----)

>Too bad norwegians are unable to make any good shows
I disagree. There have been quite a few good/decent Norwegian shows released in just the past five years or so. Mammon just won an International Emmy for Best Drama Series a few months ago. Others I would recommend are:

Drama:
Kampen om Tungtvannet: imdb.com/title/tt3280150/
Nobel: imdb.com/title/tt4591834/
Ǿyevitne: imdb.com/title/tt2750688/
Frikjent: imdb.com/title/tt3582458/
Halvbroren: imdb.com/title/tt1678020/
Valkyrien: imdb.com/title/tt5170828/
Grenseland: imdb.com/title/tt7468900/
Det Tredje Ǿye: imdb.com/title/tt2642456/

Comedy:
Dag: imdb.com/title/tt1711386/
NAV: imdb.com/title/tt2257673/
Side Om Side: imdb.com/title/tt3138102/

A few I haven't watched, but that have generally received positive reviews:

Drama:
Monster: imdb.com/title/tt5157290/
Himmelblå: imdb.com/title/tt1383294/

Comedy:
Hellfjord: imdb.com/title/tt2043143/
Nårje: imdb.com/title/tt2149738/
Samurai Sikkerhet : imdb.com/title/tt3660002/

Kino intros:
youtube.com/watch?v=1-tKbnakMk8
youtube.com/watch?v=DR7uHSXrJaw

This is a very useful list, thank you. I'll try to get ahold of these or download them so I can listen to the language and try to match my pronunciation.

Thx for the list, gonna check them out when Bron is done.

Have actually seen few episodes of Dag and Himmelblå. They were good, but for some reason Danish sitcoms like Klovn are more popular here.

And Borgen.