Five #1s in five years

Has any other series had so many relaunches? Spiderman maybe. What happened five years ago that made Marvel want to push Carol?

Movie and ey never had a big female character.

Oddly enough it's Female Thor And wolverine selling the most.

>What happened five years ago that made Marvel want to push Carol?
They realised that all their major female characters were either (a) closely tied to teams, (b) licenced to other studios or (c) both.

All of Marvel's books have that many relaunches by now lol. Captain America especially I think.

Cause she's a shit character their trying to push as a bigger one than she should be

Fuck Carol

The movie entered development.

>five years ago

nigga they been trying since Disassembled

Plus Carol was the first solo superheroine Marvel ever launched that didn't completely bomb (23 issues wasn't a lot but it was better than The Cat). She's the obvious choice any time they want to push a solo superheroine.

For the most part Marvel's superwomen are team characters who don't do solo adventures. Storm may be their most popular heroine but she is not a solo character at all.

So in the early part of the decade Marvel realized they'd canceled all their female-led superhero books (and politicized discussions of comic books were coming back into fashion online, so they were more likely to be called on it), plus they had no one to offer the MCU for a female-led superhero movie. Carol was the only real choice.

The clue is in the name. The people with the money, who probably know very little about what they own and/or greenlight, probably think it's clever to have Captain MARVEL as a main character in the MARVEL movieverse, probably leading the Avengers when Steve is out of the picture. I don't see them having Bucky step in this time, unless his contract gets waaaay extended.

Can someone please explain why I should care about this character? All I know about her is that she was raped, that Rogue absorbed her powers, and that she fights Mystique. Since none of those things can happen in the upcoming movie, I'm at a loss as to what her story would even be about.

The original premise for her comic was basically "What if Lois Lane got Superman's powers and kept them?" She was Captain Marvel (Mar-vell's) potential love interest in his early comics and someone thought it would be a good idea to make her the new superheroine. (Stan Lee and Roy Thomas wanted a feminist superheroine named Ms. Marvel and there were several pitches for who she should be.)

The first issue of the book wasn't very good but Chris Claremont took over a couple issues later and improved it quite a bit, but slowly. It's a pretty standard Bronze Age superhero comic, but Claremont was good at writing strong female characters who weren't Strong Female Characters. He also introduced some villains for her, like Deathbird and Mystique, who he brought over to the X-Men when her book was canceled.

After the shitty rape story she kind of bounced around the X-Men universe for a while as Binary, then Kurt Busiek brought her back to the Avengers, and later Brian Bendis liked using her. This version of the character is basically a neurotic screw-up who's well aware that she hasn't lived up to her potential as a superheroine. That's the version I think a lot of people here like best.

Hey Marvel, I have an idea.

Since you clearly want to make this character WORK, how about putting actual GOOD writers on her for a change?

Maybe? No?

The current writers aren't terrible, but the book's about to get run over from Civil War II tie-ins sadly.

She is a typical flyboy(/girl) turned spec ops, because she was already super speshul before she even got her powers. Plus a load of other crap I could get into, such as her super saiyan mode, but really, it's modern Marvel. That should tell you enough.

I actually find her interesting because she is really a shitty human being.

For example, in Civil War her storyline was being part of an arrest squad intended to take in 'criminal/uncooperative' heroes. She beats a mother (Spider-Woman) into submission, on her own front lawn, in front of her daughter, and jails her - despite the fact they had been friends and allies. Then, she bemoans being a shitty person, helps free Spider-Woman and crapping all over her own principles because muh feelings... and goes right back to being Stark/the governments toady for the rest of the Civil War, having learned nothing.

Then there is this whole CW2 thing.

Really, it's almost fun to read how much of a human trainwreck she is. It will be awesome if they play her straight in the MCU, but I doubt it, because it would just be a rehash of Tony's journey so far, and not a 'good example' of female empowerment.

Marvel needed a female character to compete with Wonder Woman on the cinematic front, unfortunately Carol's the closest they had in power levels whose movie rights weren't tied up with FOX or Sony

I would actually be down with this if she was a thin and attractive version of Amy Schumer. Less punny, more drunk and violent.

What about She Hulk?

>She Hulk
>Hulk
nope

Probably wanted someone who could stand on their own from the outset.

SJW culture. Marvel was like "HANG ON! WE GOT A CHICK WHO WOULD BE PERFECK FUH DIS SHIT! QUICK, REDESIGN HER OUTFIT TO NOT SHOW ANYTHING!"

The other replies in this thread covered it pretty well, but just to add the company wars aspect.
Marvel's best known super heroines have been Storm, Rouge, Jean Grey and Invisible Woman for pretty much the entire company history.
After that it's probably She-Hulk, but she's too dependent on Hulk as a character, so she's out.
Then it's probably other X-men characters, like Jubilee or Shadowcat.
Then Ms./Cap. Marvel, hell Tigra and Black Cat are about as well known up until about 2010.
So really she was the only viable option left to be Marvel's female (not Black Widow) lead.

She has never been particularly interesting or has sold well. Reed's run worked the best because he pushed her space adventure factor + fanservice.

Even though she's established at this point she's still kind of a blank slate because writers have had such different takes with the character and no one seems to know what to do with her.

At the end of the day Carol is pretty fucking lame.

Hulk's film rights are still co-owned by Universal and considering how much Bruce is intrinsically tied to her origin, it ain't happening

What about Wasp?

That one really irritates me... Marvel could've easily gone with Wasp first over Ant-Man but chose not to...

Remember when a female hero made it to 100 issue without a renumber

I don't get why they're still pushing Carol when Kamala proved that making new characters works just as well.

Shit, I don't get why they're not pushing Kamala as their front-runner ala a female equivalent of Spider-Man.

Good post. Everybody read it.

i could easily see the first sequel to the captain marvel movie having kamala in a supporting role of some sort, with the two fighting together in the climax.

new ms marvel, spider-gwen and even gwenpool have become pretty popular characters in the short amount of time since their creation, i believe all of them (or at least the first two, idk if fox would try to claim they have gwenpool's rights since she's so similar to deadpool) will probably be in the mcu eventually although probably not before 2020 at the earliest

Marvel's been pushing Carol since 2006, they just ramped up their effort after making her Captain Marvel. They really want their own Wonder Woman, and they're hoping that it'll be Carol but no one's taking the bait.

>marketing Famous Male Hero: Boobs Edition as your lead superheroine
Problematic af desu senpai.

>Marvel's best known super heroines have been Storm, Rouge, Jean Grey and Invisible Woman for pretty much the entire company history.
None of which were ever solo stars. Carol has been since she first got into the cape game in the 70s.
She-Hulk's had the most solo material when you tally it all up but relies heavily on satire and metatext for it. It's not got a lot of growth potential.
If you boil it down to franchise viability instead of getting hung up on vaganias Carol's far and away the #1 choice since she represents the Captain Marvel brandname and all the lore that entails better than anyone else.

Ant-Man had four #1 in 2015 alone

What ABOUT Wasp?

space > nu joisy
Also Kamala's not Aryan enough for their first foot forward.

Definitely has the most IP potential but that doesn't mean the character isn't shit.

What was stupid about that is most of them were a continuation of the same storyline just renumbered because of events and movie tie-ins.

Ben Reilly called. He wants his pajamas back, he can't afford new ones.

Same applied to Iron Man. :^)

I really wish they'd just let the books ride.

when was the last time we had a 50th issue mile stone?

Probably at some point after an issue 7 or something when the back numbered issues to an original #1.

Disney demanded their new movie cash cow toe the SJW-dictated line of progressive thought.

Duh?

Correction, we HAD good writers, who got booted for CWII, who themselves were booted as well for the new #1 after the event.

Carol Danvers should be wrote and drawn by Tamaki Nozomu.

you have my attention

absolute shitshow

Gage is a good writer too.
And we all know his wife's name is just on there so they can say it's being written by a woman.

Marvel really, really wants their own Wonder Woman.

It's really not that complicated.

You mean Wonder Transman?

>Also Kamala's not Aryan enough for their first foot forward.

This. Notice that when they whitewash characters they only whitewash men. With women they replace blacks and asians with blonde girls.

Monica is gonna be the black sidekick.

but shes literally a female power fantasy

what i dont get is why they had to change the character so much to push her

>Don't meddle in my daughter

It's some weird alien/parasite futa impregnation comic. Nothing anyone here would like.

>anyone here
user...

And they will keep doing it until she becomes mainstream, they have dumped way too much money on her to stop now, distancing shazam with captain marvel is their top priority and they'll keep doing it until it pays off, everyday until you like it.

She hulk: attorney superhero would be such a great anime TV show

I like it!

IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?! THESE KINDS OF TAGS?

I see nothing wrong with any of those things, actually. I'm a fucking /d/eviant though.

I liked her in Bendis' Might Avengers run. I don't know why they re-branded her to look like a dyke though, are they really desperate for female readers?

"We should push Carol."

"Okay, wait, let's try again."

"This time it will work!"

"Fuck them. Do it again. I don't even care."

"MORE CAROL! Make them SUFFER!"

Yes.

>whitewash
Learn what that means

>thigh high boots
Fucking normalfag nips

Honestly, so did I.
Mighty/Dark Avengers, I think, are his best books.

Obviously some will disagree, but that's what I think.

she's Marvel of Murder. borderline 'the punisher' of alien threats. and it works for her since she's not held up as a paragon of morality at the same time.

I think it really works for her. I know lots of people think its cheesy but I dug how her fauxhawk resembled the fin on a Kree helmet

I want Rocafort to draw her forever

>dyke hair

That's not what you posted.

>Storm may be their most popular heroine but she is not a solo character at all.

I don't think thats true, I just think the few attempts shes been given at solos have not been well thought out.

Like Pak's Storm series a couple years back started strong, but fell apart during the second arc (mostly because it was about her dealing with Wolverine's death and they were a shit couple)

>Disney

Lol, no. This is all Marvel's doing, they were pushing her long before the movies became successful.

if its disney then why dident they make there movies pander like there comics.

Kamala should have her own movie and several lines of comics instead!

you would think all this time and effort Marvel has spent trying to build up Captain Carol they would have bothered to give her an arch-enemy

she has Moonstone

she tends to kill any potential archenemies

they haven't been in the same comic in seven years, hell that story was the only time they've even interacted.

there is potential, though

She's had Mystique since the 70s. And inherited Yon-Rogg.

If Marvel doesn't publish a Captain Marvel comic within a certain time frame, the trademark reverts back to DC and they can stop calling the big red guy "Shazam".
The Marvel money men are protecting an asset.

Isn't Moonstone the main villain of her CWII tie-in? With a plot of "Carol is being an irrational murderbitch because she hates Moonstone so much"?
I dunno, I think Carol's current direction - a hero who desperately wants to be the super rational paragon everyone thinks she is, but keeps fucking it up because of her impulsiveness and violent tendencies - has a lot of potential.

after spider-men, I'm surprised Marvel never did a Kamala, teen Jean, and Carol team-up mini called 'Marvels'

>Isn't Moonstone the main villain of her CWII tie-in?

Doubtful, since she's part of her own comic at the moment with the Thunderbolts.

you say that but just a few weeks ago Miles was being held captive by three different supervillains simultaneously

Considering how much the public fucking loves teenage Spidey, Ms Marvel seems like a better pick for their female icon.

Then again, that isn't a Wonder Woman equivalent, and as we all know Marvel needs to directly combat DC instead of just doing their own thing.

And I think Doomsday Man started out as a Silver Surfer villain before becoming a Carol rogue.

Poor hobo Ben reduced to wearing this costume while Mayday fills his Spidey one.

To be fair, I'm not sure it'd fit right in the bottom after Mayday wore it for so long. You don't want an ass-sagging skintight costume.

on the other hand a whole bunch of characters started out as Ms Marvel villains that Claremont took with him when he got moved to X-Men

That's not Billy

They saw how much of a cunt Jennifer Lawrence is about being painted blue for a fucking shared role and probably don't want to have to deal with that for a lead actress

>"Like Hulk, but a girl!"
Girl-versions of an established, mainstream character probably won't fly over well with people who want superheroines that stand on their own.

>But Captain Marvel is-

A complete unknown, nobody knows what a Kree is, when people see Carol they'll go "Oh Captain Marvel because the company's name is Marvel she must be important".

Why do people keep acting shocked when Marvel TOLD every one they are doing yearly relaunches?

remember: people bitching about Marvel are the real shills.

Alcoholic crytpofascist post traumatic closeted murdurwaifu

I always liked Carol i really enjoy her 2006 run and when i saw EMH they fucking had her perfect.

I was actually excited when i saw she was going to be Captain Marvel and getting a new solo but then it was kinda shit. Then it got cancelled and relaunched and was still shit then it happened again and again.

They keep pushing her like shes this big deal but they never actually show her doing anything that makes her seem that important.

Plus the whole them retconing anything out of her history that doesn't make her a perfect female role model was so fucking shit. Aparantly females can't stand having a developed character with flaws and history so just blank slate her and call her a super beloved in universe hero and everyone has to like her right?

So she's one of the strongest Marvel characters of all time then right? She's got a limited version of pre cog and she can go Binary and she can regenerate from damage.