Post Obscure Facts About Your Country

It's illegal for unrelated individuals/families here to have the same last names (except through marriage, obviously).

People think Egypt has a hot climate but it’s cold or warm most of the time and really windy

We actually are mostly whites, and have almost no race mixing

Heh

165 million cups of tea are drunk every day

British people eat twice as many baked beans than any other European citizen

Britain’s oldest house is at the Neolithic site of Star Carr in Yorkshire, dating back to around 10,000 years ago

Due to the uncleanliness of the water at the time, babies in 14th century Herefordshire were baptised in cider

It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp upside down

It is legal to murder a Scotsman in York, but only if he is carrying a bow inside the city walls

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

In London, it is illegal to hail a taxi if you have the plague

The Flagship of Argentina is literally a Flagship

Guaranteed replies

Most things foreigners consider "Spanish" are actually limited to specific regions. If you're from the north, flamenco sounds to you as foreign as the traditional music of a faraway country.

There's a municipality in Catalonia that talks in "aranés", an occitan language. That language is co-official within that municipality only, mean you can write any official document in it. During the referendum crisis in Catalonia, they were considering seccesion from the rest of Catalonia.

We have two surnames. That applies to most Spanish-speaking countries, too.

people that are actual german live also here

>It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp upside down

damn, I'm surprised pynchon's crying of lot 49 never mentions it because it'd tie in with its premise pretty much fucking perfectly

Isn't it literally illegal to write "Kiev" instead of "Kyiv" as well?

We bury bees

Unlikely m8, I practically never write Kyiv (only if it's shit like a form at some English-language site that only recognizes the Kyiv variant, etc.). But then again, it doesn't say much because I'm a badass rebel who does a lot of illegal shit like jaywalking or smoking while standing 9 meters away from a bus stop instead of the legally required 10.

Laws can change drastically between states. For example in Massachusetts it's a chore to get a gun (have to take a 2 week safety and respect the gun course, get a gun license, guns are like twice as expensive etc) vs just a quick drive north to New Hampshire and you can literally walk into a store and buy an M16 as long as you have a valid ID.

Our tax is not included in the price of something that you buy.

Our men's swim shorts are longer than European swim shorts

We measure distance by time traveled and not actual distance usually ("oh yeah that's 2 hours away)

idk desu

oldest flag still in use, oldest continuing monarchy, it rains every 2nd day, twice as much bicycles as cars, we drink on average 4 cups of coffee everyday

>oldest continuing monarchy
What about Japan?

i don't know. it says we're the oldest continuing monarchy in the world and the oldest monarchy in europe, so japan or some other monarchy must have had a period where they didn't rule

Oldest in Europe I can believe, but Japan has continuously had an emperor since at least the 6th century.

The oldest tree of our country in the related pic, it has approximately 3.000 years old.

>Laws can change drastically between states. For example in Massachusetts it's a chore to get a gun (have to take a 2 week safety and respect the gun course, get a gun license, guns are like twice as expensive etc) vs just a quick drive north to New Hampshire and you can literally walk into a store and buy an M16 as long as you have a valid ID.

I assume that if you were a resident of Massachusetts you couldn't go across the border and buy a gun?

I think there is something on an ID chink

France still has catholicism as its state religion in Alsace-Moselle