Alien Thread

is it me or was it the most overrated sci-fi film of all time

It depends on the year you saw it, how old you were, and what movies you saw before you watched it.

I get that viewing it in 1979 would probably lead to someone believing it's one of the best sci-if movies of all time but it's literally impossible for me to frame my state of mind to that effect. I watched terminator for the first time not too long ago and thought I was a great film but something about this film didn't resonate with me. I do agree with your post though

This film has aged well, I'd be interested to see what people think are superior sci fi films to this

nope that would be its sequel

The beheaded robot interrogation scene is single handedly better sci-fi than entire science fiction movies we've got for the last 20 years.

While I agree that it's use of practical effects and so on have made it age well (I'm actually amazed with how well it holds up considering it was 1979), it was just very predictable and I don't find it very entertaining.

That was a surprisingly good scene. I will not deny that. Actually probably the best scene of the film

Bump

Are you Ridley Scott? You seem to have the same level of understanding of the movie as he does.

What?

No that would be Starwars

It's definitely up there

Terminator films for one

Why does Sup Forums hate Aliens so much?

youre thinking of scotts other film: bradu lanna

Redditors hate it.

Sup Forums realizes it's kino.

Because Sup Forums is contrarian.

Aliens is kino. Alien is pretentious shit. You can find literary articles on Ash's sexuality. Like wtf

these are the people who call Sup Forums contrarian.
take a good hard look at them everybody.

Nah, Alien is kino. Aliens is overrated but very entertaining. The queen sucked all the mystery out of creature imo but yeah it looked great.

>t. Pleb

Aliens is great but something about it feels very dated compared to Alien. I think it's that 80's sci-fi aesthetic.

look, you're just as "contrarian" for disliking a 8+ rated movie. drop this meme word now before you embarrass yourself even more. by the way it's the other way around, alien is the great one.

>alien is the great one.
Objectively wrong.

I was 12 when i saw it (alone at night)
Exactly the moment the alien was "born" my cat jumped on my lap from behind.
I had shorts on, my cat had its claws out.
I screamed like a bitch.
I literally still have scars from that moment.

Best jump-scare in my life.

This: You like an overrated movie user. The contrarian is you user. Ask any person if they prefer alien to aliens the answer is no. Only pretentious dickheads do.

It's kino. But only Alien.

they have the SAME rating retard. why are you projecting so much? you are just as much of a "contrarian", as I already mentioned. why do you want your shitty opinion validated so much?

"Rated". No one gives a fuck about critics. Most people enjoy aliens more. Get over it. Alien is technically superior but Aliens is a more enjoyable film.

faggot

Faggot

that's your subjective opinion. do you think critics gave it a 8+ on imdb? lol

the matrix

Heres what I think

>Alien
pros:
>great buildup - good effects, mysthicism, ambience
>the evil android reveal amongst the true mission protocol

cons:
>they break quarantine within 10 minutes. no X-Ray on the hugged guy when its clear hes been INJECTED SOMETHING. what the fuck did you expect would happen? -9000 points for this alone.
>the alien is supposed to be scary or frightening due to its nature - male rape this, phallus that, penetrate this, penetrate that
>but it dies to a couple of bullets, its not as intelligent as a human and its not very fast or vicious. this shit only works in claustrophobic space.
>plus its a slow awkward moving guy in a costume. fuck that shit. this movie aged terribly.

So yeah. You cannot deny the impact and influence the movie had, but I still dont like it anymore.
And its the one thing Covenant did right imo, to portray the neo and the xeno as real killing machines.

they broke quarantine and didn't X-ray the guy because the android was given orders to bring back a sample alive and if it was in a human I didn't matter because the crew were expendable.
did you even watch the movie to the end?

I mean, like yeah, hello, is something actually gonna happen at some point. It was so booooring!

that shouldnt have gone by the crew regardless of orders.

if it went by the crew they would never accept, I'm seriously doubting that you say the movie now. there's even a scene where Ripley order's quarantine but Ash breaks it on purpose.

Fuck off, whore.

Even now ,it holds up fairly well despite being from 1979.
Fuck you Sup Forums, everything is overrated for you faggots.

that scene you speak of is where she is the only one objecting to breakign the quarantine you mean? yeah, and it gets broken regardless, everyone watching. same with the facehugger and its mouthtube, same with the victim and everyone acting all happy afterwards.

its been quite a while since I watched it but this is how I remember it.

2001, Solaris the list goes on

you absolute fucking pleb

It's just an action/horror movie with sci-fi trappings though.

I should say it's not "just" an action/horror movie. It's one of the best of all time, but it was certainly never meant to be hard sci-fi or anything.

I saw this film for the first time a few years ago. It's one of my favourite horror films now and I've probably already seen it 4-5 times.

except for the awkward cut from the model head to the actual one of Ian Holm. That's really the only effect that doesn't hold up in the entire film.

this

>thinking well adjusted people rate films on IMDb

No, that'd be Star Wars.

I like both Alien and Aliens for different reasons. One is not better than the other. Just different. I even think Alien3 is pretty good in its own way. Resurrection was the beginning of shitting on the franchise. Everything since and including since AvP is shit.