Batman: Batgirl storytime

Since everyone's mad about the prologue to the Killing Joke DTV, I'm going to run the story they should have used instead. In 1997, DC released four prestige one-shots starring Batgirl, Bane, Poison Ivy, and Mr. Freeze to hype Batman and Robin (all four turned out to be much better written). They got Kelley Puckett to write this one, and a couple of years later he'd go on to create Cassandra Cain, the superior Batgirl.

>starring Batgirl, Bane, Poison Ivy, and Mr. Freeze

Has the Poison Ivy story written by Neil Gaiman been storytimed recently? That's definitely my favorite story starring her. (though admittedly she doesn't have many good stories aside from maybe GCS)

I haven't seen it. John Francis Moore wrote the one-shot though.

I know it was included in the Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader TPB, along with the stories Gaiman wrote about Riddler (pic related), Two-Face, and The Penguin

It's self-defense, she's in the clear legally. Emotionally though...

Manface-Babs looks hilarious in that 2nd panel. Pretty good looking girl for a 40 year-old alcoholic.

The Bat does not k... whoops!

Take your victories where you can get them. Also, very exploitable last panel.

I like how Joker changes his outfit twice in one night.

>this was worth it
Was it, Barbara? Was it really?

>Joker can only successfully hit Batman with his eyes closed

That's it. How this could be tied into the Killing Joke: Batgirl, haunted by the life she took in self-defense, quits being Batgirl. Joker, angry at being laughed at for being crazy, decides to test out his "one bad day" hypothesis. Batman, recovered from his headwound, decides to talk to the Joker to prevent them from killing one another, and later on feels more guilt because he couldn't prevent Barbara from getting shot after she had saved him.

Why isn't DC smart enough to do this?

Gotta chase those controversy dollars. Though chances are good no one there even remembers this story.

I'm not sure *I* get it...

bump

Oh, right, THIS comic. The one where Batgirl gets her ass licked and lucks out at the end

Shoulda storytimed Batgirl Year One, instead. That's the good Batgirl comic

There's only one? What about the Batgirl/Catwoman one from Batman Confidential?

Well yeah, a gymnast who took a self-defense course shouldn't be able to beat up criminals as if she were Batman. She does solve problems with her intelligence, she's just not great at it.

For me at least, the Joker's reaction here is one of his most memorable stories
I'm surprised it's not talked about more

And I didn't read a long time ago either, I just came across this a couple years ago while looking at batman stuff

Thanks for the read OP!

That one's okay

All of these are better than Steph/new Babs

>The one where Batgirl gets her ass licked
lewd

>The one where Batgirl gets her ass licked

But Gordon isn't even the one who's licking it.

bump

>Batman: Batgirl
Thanks for sharing this awesome story, is there a download link. I have some friends that have yet to read it and wanted a copy of it to read later because their at work right now

haha! Look at this guy! He doesn't get it!
I don't get it

I have and loved this book.

Just search for batman batgirl 1997 cbr/cbz
Joker expresses concern that Batman might be dead, and when he finds out he's still alive, immediately gets set on trying to kill him again even though doing so would just distress him as it did before.