Please give me a valid justification as to why you hate this man without resorting to memes

Please give me a valid justification as to why you hate this man without resorting to memes

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BatmanGambit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You are trying to meme, doesn't count

Love conquers everything...it truly is Interstellar.
Dude one take IS ALL YOU NEED lmao.
and other things I cannot remember because I am shitposting at work right now.

...Bane?

Because pretentious cunts in film school think he's the best director living or dead.

But that's not his fault.
His movies may be extremely overrated, but they're good

Bad Dialogue.
Lazy presentation of material.
Unnecessary story points or scenes (ruined interstellar).

He makes good movies otherwise.

>GREAT TIER
Memento
The Prestige

>VERY GOOD TIER
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Following
Inception

>MEH TIER
Interstellar
Insomnia

>OH SHIT NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING TIER
The Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar needs to be moved down a category.

Insomnia is kino

he's a good director but he's a commercial director, his movies are shit and made to appeal the masses and get the shekels

can't wait for Funkirk iiaqhwyf

I think he's a good filmmaker, but wastes his time making meme conceptual shit and dumbing down his movies. Even his best film the prestige is too gimmicky for my taste

9/11

I don't hate Nolan as a whole but I hate his fucking obesssion with clever scripts.

Characters like the Dark Knight Joker are not just smart, they're damn near clairvoyant. Characters in Nolan movies are able to predict, calculate and plan such elaborate fucking things that they don't come off as people, simply as chess pieces in an elaborate script.

I don't hate him. I just don't think film is the medium for him. He doesn't get how to show a story instead of telling it. He should be writing prose if he wants that, not making films.

I personally don't like his hairline

To be fair, this has always been a thing within the Batman mythos.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BatmanGambit

Because he's not making Marvel movies.

I have a feeling if he were a commercial director we would be seeing more sequels and less new IPs.

he deliberately contorted batman characters to fit his political message

he makes movies which convince stupid people that they are smart

his bad dialogue created a meme so powerful that it bled into reality, only trump is stronger than nolan

fucking batman you fuck

I lol'd at "oh shit nigger" cuz I'm easy to please but also, I have to say the more I think about Interstellar the more I realize it totally fucking sucked balls.

That was one trilogy and it was basically a duty when making a film to such a valuable IP. Other than that, I can't think of anyone else with as many financially successful films who refused to sell out and make sequels

nailed it

I'd rather have it:
>GREAT TIER
The Prestige
Memento
Batman Begins
Interstellar

>VERY GOOD TIER
Inception
The Dark Knight
Insomnia

>MEH TIER
The Following
The Dark Knight Rises

but to respond to OP, I like nolan's stuff and I like what his doing with the medium. I don't hate him just as I don't hate michael bay for example. Even michael bay does something exceptional in his own manner.

nolan's biggest faults are dialogue. it's always been pretty cringe and it gets progressively worse the more money revolves around a certain film.
this might be his fault or his stupid hack brother's fault. if you've seen any of his brother's works you will quickly realize where all the meme-tier dialogue comes from; literally tv-tropes the likes of:
>the DA is breathing down my neck!
>we're not so different you and I

he might be a good writer in terms of storytelling but I feel the need to vomit every time I hear jonathan nolan's dialogue.

getting back to christopher nolan, the man is doing a great job of making movies specifically to be enjoyed in the cinema. most movies nowadays I don't even bother seeing them in the theater, I just wait for a bluray rip to come out, but I always go and see a nolan movie in the cinema because I know I won't be disappointed.
Seeing interstellar in the cinema was incredible, especially in IMAX. it was an experience that I don't have very often nowadays.

And this is not necessarily because of the visual spectacle, it's all of the elements combined that make for a great experience:
>cinematography
>sound design
>score
>set pieces

one of nolan's biggest strengths is his ability to make a great cinema movie, and I can't say that about many other directors working today as they are very few and far between. I'm also disregarding the likes of cameron, spielberg and scorsese because they've been making movies for a long time now and nolan is relatively a young director compared to them. /CONTINUED

CONTINUED

another of nolan's strengths (as I see them) is his ability to tell non-linear narrative stories.
The Prestige is the best example to this. I've watched about 10 times by now and I'd still gladly watch it again because it is simply entertaining to watch and I feel it's very well made in terms of pacing and editing. It's also one of his stronger films in terms of dialogue. Yes, there are still some letdown moments but overall it's pretty good.

to mirror this example, let's look at Interstellar. while interstellar doesn't have time skips in the way The Prestige had them and more or less goes on in a linear fashion, nolan still breaks up the action into various pieces, having two or three scenes play out at once. Again, I believe he does a great job at this, and other directors might be good at it too, but nolan's movies always come to mind because of this and it's something I find refreshing and has definitelly influenced me in terms of how I approach narrative storytelling and editing in my films and videos.

but I'm rambling at this point. basically, you can fault every director for something. no one is perfect.
Instead of looking to bash a director for some bullshit he or she likes to do and constantly criticize certain aspects of their director, why not look at what their best qualities are instead and take their movies for what they are?

you don't have to enjoy every single movie, but you can find good parts in them that you can enjoy or admire.
>tl;dr
nolan is good at giving a great theater experience
haven't seen him with a dialogue writer other than his brother so I reserve judgment
he's also good at non-linear narrative and at telling mutiple stories at the same time.

I don't. I enjoy all his films. I think he's a very talented filmmaker.

He his a gimmick director. I don't feel passion when I see his films. Instead, it feels like he is trying his hardest to appear outside the box, and smart. His movies are artificial, commercial flicks, pretending to be much more than they really are. Nolan doesn't grasp the essence of films and that is the immersion, and the wonder. That is why silent films were able to exist and create what we know as films now. Because the spoken word is second natute to films. It should serve to help the immersion, and wonder. Nolan though uses the spoken word explain what is happening on screen, what the characters are feeling, how the audience should feel about it, and how clever he thought all that out. These issues are perfectly represented in the plot twists he adds to all his movies. His gimmick plot films solely serve the purpose to deliver his 'mindfuck' twist, to send the viewers home adoring his clever writing, when instead a good film should just leave you feeling impressed and wondering.
He would be much better of writing graphic novels.

>Because the spoken word is second natute to films.
you should see some french cinema and then come back here.

there are many approaches to cinema, some directors and film styles are more visual, others are more theatrical and rely on heavy dialogue and implied action and consequences.

I know this board is full of children who don't actually know anything about cinema but goddamn.
>gimmick director

you could also argue that tarkovsky is a hack because of MUH SLOW NOTHING HAPPENS SCENES
you could also argue that kurosawa is a hack because of MUH MULTIPLE CAMERA APPROACH WITH VARYING FOCAL LENGHTS
you could also argue that bergman is a hack because of MUH CHAMBER DRAMA

>plot twists
there are no plot twists in nolan movies. everything is so fucking spelled out for you that if you don't understand what's going on you might very well be mentally retarded. the man doesn't rely on the shyamalan style MUH TWEEST to get his kicks. you can see shit coming from a mile away. that's not what he's aiming for.
his attention is to human drama and interaction.

does he need to work on how his approach translates to film? yes. are his movies plot twist reliant? no.

I don't hate him. He just has lost what made him special as a filmmaker.

His first films: Insomnia, Memento, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are 10/10 masterpieces.

What happened to him when he came out with the dreadful Dark Knight Rises?

He seems literally incapable of hiring a good fight choreographer, as it's a mistake he's repeated.

If no one has seen it yet, I highly recommend Insomnia. It has a Twin Peaks vibe and doesn't even feel like a Nolan movie (which I guess is what makes it so good).

he makes bad movies

>people think Nolan would be a good choice to direct a Bond movie
I'd prefer Tarantino for sure

I could not agree with this more

Nolan is a very interesting director, he's not my favorite but I do enjoy his movies, he's able to make an intelligent movie that plebs can understand, he makes movies for the people.

He's a living meme

>reddit spacing
>immediately trying appeal intelectual by jumping to the french cinema meme
>calling me a kiddie
>nolan movies have no plot twists because it doesn't count if I expected it
wew buddy. I will ignore all the things you mentioned to appear like a film connoisseur, and that are off topic and stick to your silly statement about Nolan not using gimmicks which are or lead up to his plot twists.
>the prestige
Plot twist: cloning
>memento
Gimmick and plot twist: it's all reverse
>inception
Gimmick and plot twist: dude they are in a dream within a dream within a dream... or are they ever not?
>Interstellar
Gimmick and twist: dude love
>tdkr
Twist: the chick bats was digging was his foe all along and the bad guy is actually the victim
That's as many movies of his that I remember.
>inb4 those are not twists I totally saw those things coming
Doesn't make them not twists, buddy.
In his current state, Nolan is a complete hack. If he would embrace his gimmicks and his commercial approach, he could make nice summer action flicks. He is punching above his league.

His action is absurdly terrible. In the action scenes of the dark knight - the bank robbery, the parking lot fight - you literally cannot tell that guns are being fired because they all look so fake and all he does is put a pop in sound effects afterwards

tl;dr Fuck off pseudo intellectual reddit blogger.

Why does he wear the mask?

Im looking forward to dunkirk

>reddit spacing
it's called paragraphing so you can have an easier time reading what I'm telling you.

>the prestige: cloning
not necessarily. you only see clones from re-tellings of each person's side of the story. more so, you never actually know what's real and what's not. that's the beauty of the movie. at the beginning they even fucking hamfist it to you with the scene of the guy pretending to be a weak old man for his entire life for one goddamn trick.

the point of the movie is sacrifice. the prestige is a great movie but I am well aware that it is too much for most people and everyone just sees MUH CLONING. you are literally too stupid to take away anything else from it.

>memento: it's all reverse
the movie was trying to translate into film how a person with that condition will experience life. it's not a gimmick, it's an interesting attempt at telling a story from the perspective of a man who cannot perceive time the way normal people do.

>inception: dream within a dream
it's a summer blockbuster for stupid fucks like you to get into some difficulty concepts like perceived reality and layers of reality.

>interstellar: dude love
the movie is quite literally about a guy and his children. his desire to explore. the character literally wants more but in the end he realizes that what's more important to his is love, more specifically, the love for his children (and to another extent, love for his fellow man)
these concepts might not have been translated well enough for you or others since most people only care about LUL MUH SPACE SO SMART BRUV. you are a stupid faggot, but I already knew that.

I'm not trying to defend nolan, there's no need. also, with the french cinema meme thing. literally watch more movies and maybe study the art of filmmaking. you don't know what you're talking about, you along with other summerfags and redditors on this board.

my advice? learn more or kys my man

>paragraphing is easier on the eyes on Sup Forums
>implying
It always shows, buddy.

Unartful, constant exposition, Lucas tier dialogue, spelling the themes out at every turn. Sloppy framing and an inability to use effective staging or blocking. A cold, dour, aesthetic.

maybeitsbetterifIwritelikethisyouabsolutufuckingfaggotkys

He's a lazy sloppy film maker that makes pleb-enabling movies.

>Inability to effective staging and blocking.

So you just learnt these terms and decided to spew them out because he is definitely not bad at staging or blocking. Staging a scene is one of his strong points.

>so you can have an easier time reading

There are adults on Sup Forums who need this sort of assistance.