Is this the best Bat story? Just read it last night and loved it. Way better than Killing Joke

Is this the best Bat story? Just read it last night and loved it. Way better than Killing Joke.

It's for sure in my top 5

It is a pretty terrible mystery that doesn't make any sense, which makes the whole thing fall apart once you get to the end of it.

It is also the progenitor for the formula Loeb would continue to use for years.

Not even close.

New readers always love Long Halloween and Hush.

They are far from the best, though, they're just incredibly beginner-friendly.

The ending was fucked.

Nope

Dark Victory is a little bit better.

What do you suggest then? I've read all the new 52 stuff.

think this is good? go get the The Killing Joke movie, and be amazed

I felt like it was overrated. I love Batman. Bought it on a Batman binge when I getting into the character and buying up all the books listed on "Best Batman Stories."

It's a decent story told very seriously. I'm not surprised some people like it. But it isn't the best. DKR, Year One, and Arkham Asylum Serious House are the best Batman stories and some of the best comics ever written. Long Halloween is good.

I'd say also check out Death and Maidens.

Year One
Dark Knight Returns
Dark Knight Strikes Again
Year 100
Batman Hong Kong

TDKR, Year One, Serious House on a Serious Earth, and Legends of the Dark Knight

then MorrisonBat

hm

for you

has it right, it's honestly quite awful. Lovely art though.

The art is complete shit

Year 100 was really really good. Sorry it slipped my mind.

I don't want to be contrarian, and unfortunately, I don't remember it so so well, but I remember really enjoying DKSA. It was pretty good. I remember thinking it was Miller's critique of Watchmen. If DKR was influenced by Watchmen between issues 2-3 (so the story goes), then DKSA was Miller saying "hold on, there is such a thing as law an order."

I need to check out Batman Hong Kong. Also, Batman 67 has been pretty good.

Anyone know about the Japanese Batman/Batmanga? I'm really interested in reading it.

Also-- Batman Child of Dreams is really good. Kia Asmiya is good and he did a great Batman comic.

I guess I felt embarassed to say it, but I never got into Tim Sale's art. Him and JRjr. I feel like you get hit if you criticize them on boards but those two artists-- they actually turn me off of books.

JRJR is pretty hit/miss, but when he hits he really hits

but fuck you both on Tim Sale

Dark Night, Dark City

I think you and me are the only two in the whole world that read Child of Dreams

Batmanga is best Batman btw

Looked this up on Comixology. Will check it out.

I will take the Hong Kong version as my favorite every day.

I remember loving this when I first read it when I was getting into Batman comics, but I wonder if it will hold up now.

As for being better than TKJ, it's been a while so I don't know if I'd think that or not, but I don't think it's terribly hard to be better than TKJ. I feel like TKJ and TDKR kind of get dick-sucked a lot, and while they are good, I can think of plenty of good Batman comics I enjoyed more than either of those. Like, even some small LotDK arc like Venom I like better than TKJ or TDKR.

How do you feel about Year One?

I read it in the book store and enjoyed it so much I bought it cause I felt guilty. It is really good. Didn't even realize that he did Silent Moebius.

Thanks. I will check out Batmanga. Just ordered Dark Knight/Dark City and the first trade of '66.

Good thing about me being so buttmad at Marvel that I dropped basically all their books is that I have a lot more money for other comics now.

I need to find this.

It is the best, and it moves like no other Batman comic that exists.

TDKR might get a bit overpraised, but it really is one of the pinnacles of the medium

is this irony?

>Dini's Detective Comics
>Cataclysm/No Man's Land
>First 50 or so issue of Legends of the Dark Knight
>O'Neil's Batman
>Englehart's Detective Comics
>Knightfall
>Birth of the Demon
>Arkham Asylum
>The Cult
>Dark Knight, Dark City

Honestly there's so much great material for the character it's kind of impossible to list it all.

Arkham Asylum
DKR
Red Rain
the Black & White shorts

naw, I can think of some better

I haven't read Long Halloween since I was a noob, but I loved it back then. Hated Hush when I read it somewhat recently.

Is Long Halloween at least better than Hush? I wonder if I'd still like it

It is better if only because it doesn't look like boiler plate Batman comics.

The best thing about both stories is the amazing art they both have, but Sale's art can carry a book far better than Lee's can, so yes I'd say Long Halloween is better overall, though Hush leads into Heart of Hush which is one of my favorite Bat stories ever.

And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with liking either Hush or Long Halloween, they're great as gateway books, but the more you read the more you being to understand that they're quite overrated.

read all those and Long Halloween is still my favorite

Ok

>Lovely art
>Tim Sale
Pick one.

Wrong thread

What don't people like about Long Halloween?

Sale's art is god-tier.

They throw in too many villains and dont give them any time to develop. Joker and scarecrow were so unnecessary to the story. Probably others but i only read through it once.

Did it ever explain what Catwoman's involvement with the whole thing was?

What's this panel from? I've never seen him do modern Catwoman.

Yeah, in Catwoman When in Rome

Turns out she's The Roman's secret daughter and was trying to find stuff out during the story. That's why she leaves during Dark Victory for a couple of months.

Date Knight

check out Arkham Asylum; Serious house on Serios Earth