Is film school worth it?

Is film school worth it?

>I didn't go to ____ school. I went to ______.

On the off chance this isn't a troll...

OH FUCK NO!

No.

Spend your money and time making stuff

if the money doesn't matter, yes
otherwise spend the money on equipment

yeah, you get to watch films all day under the pretense that you're learning something and are working towards a degree.

it'll be the best 4 years a neet with rich parents can have

If you want to find likeminded people to collaborate with. You get out of it what you put into it. Nobody will hand you anything. It's hard work.

No,most people going there already have industry connection everyone else is a dumbass.

People who like pineapple on their pizza are pond scum.

I just finished my second year at film school. Everyone on my course is so far up their own arses its unbelievable.

dont worry bud it only gets worse

Find a school that teaches the technical aspects like editing, and operating a camera rather than one that teaches abstract faggy shit.

What school nigga.

Depends on what you do with it.

If you're going just to "learn" about filmmaking then you are wasting money, the only valid argument for film school is access to expensive film equipment and connections. It's all about the connections.

>and connections. It's all about the connections.

I didn't go to film school, I went to temple.

Depends on what do you want to get out of it
I guarantee you 90% of the retards here who say "just go to film" have never went to film school OR film.

It's worth it if you want to make people who you will hate filthy rich

Any sort of art school will be niche so they will charge up the ass with low quality education

Film school is bottom tier of all art schools

How so?

If you have the money to go to film school, go to film school. You probably won't be making friends as much as you will be making "allies" for the future. I don't think it's a bad idea to pursue it.

If you want to do something cheaper -- I'd suggest either finding a liberal arts school that has interesting classes and an LA campus or a study abroad in LA program, or a just go to a school in LA and to a part time internship.

Buying equipment is not worth your money past a certain point. People like to say buy equipment and don't go to school, do that if you want to be a gaffer. Don't sink thousands and thousands of dollars into equipment that's just going to get steamrolled next year. Schools have equipment. Even liberal arts schools with communications programs have enough equipment to get by.

Like any degree. you aren't guaranteed work just because you walk with a piece of paper. You need to network and make connections...

The real rub is that you're pursuing a career in a field with one of the lowest chances for success and you effort will need to be triple what it would elsewhere...

That still may not even be enough. Talent and, moreso, opportunity and connections are what you really need.

I should stipulate this with: get an internship with a reputable company or person.

I'm about to finish next month after 4 years. Was fun. Didn't watch as many movies as I wanted to (20s cinema is fucking lit though), fucked some things up, did some things I'm proud of. If you're 99% certain that this is your passion then go for it.

I think they've probably went to films user, come on now.

another worthless future democrat voter
>wahhh my worthless degree hasn't gotten me a job i deserve free money