Korean movie general thread, just watched pic related and loved it

Korean movie general thread, just watched pic related and loved it.

Any movies you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1190539/
imdb.com/title/tt0310775/
imdb.com/title/tt5034194/
imdb.com/title/tt0286635/
youtube.com/watch?v=5ETRMWX9op4&t=6s
youtube.com/watch?v=woBNjIK_15k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

From the same director you can check Seoul Station (more zombies) and The Fake. People say King of Pigs is great but haven't watch it yet.
Also The Handmaiden is 영화관. From the director of Old Boy.

Ajeossi

Will check out now thank you very much dude! Alright alright alright

This is a favorite of mine, I'm a sucker for monster movies.

English title is The Host btw

Train to Busan is one of the worst movies I've ever seen kek

dont like this one at all.. tried giving it a go but just no

The way you type and your taste in movies confirms you are a pleb.

Damn, based poster.

host is a shitty ass movie, deal with it

Never thought I'd shed a tear during a korean zombie movie

reported for spoilers, enjoy ban

imdb.com/title/tt1190539/
imdb.com/title/tt0310775/
imdb.com/title/tt5034194/

Also any Japanese movies to recommend would also be tight

Just watch all the classics

A Tale of Two Sisters is a great psychological thriller/horror movie. The Wailing is good too.

Audition is pretty damn good.

imdb.com/title/tt0286635/

Little girl actors in korean movies are so damn emotional

Especially in the wailing and sympathy for mr vengeance they really mame you feel like theyre in danger

I really liked the Host when I saw it. But the same guy made Snowpiercer and I'm not sure I can forgive that. Dear Directors: please decide beforehand if you are making a serious message movie or an absurdist comedy about nothing in particular. Because if you try to do both you get an overlong, boring mess that communicates nothing in particular.

Favorite korean film is undoubtedly Attack The Gas Station. Found it in a bargain bin 100 years ago and I've loved it ever since.

How does it compare to the others

Better than sympathy for Mr. Vengeance but Old Boy is a little better. Would recommend.

This
This
This
This

Also I saw the devil, Mother, Take of two sisters, Yellow Sea, Man from Nowhere, Bittersweet life, The wailing, Save the green planet and Spring Summer Fall Winter ... and Spring

t.Korean Kino expert

Any good Korean comedy-dramas?

I don't recommend it in all honesty

>it's a Korean movie thread is just people mentioning the same 15 movies over and over again episode

The Handmaid is a great one, but does anyone kinda feel that it falls apart in the third act?

The way things get resolved for the women is just kinda way too smooth.
The con-artist dude falls for a really basic trick and then just takes the uncle out with him automatically. I don't know, it just wasn't as clever as the first 2 parts.

Maybe it's because Park Chan Wook changed the ending from the novel it was based on. I'd have to read that at some point.

The Wailing was absolute masterkino, I loved it. Really unique and thrilling (after a slightly boring first part).

Does anyone have recommendations for movies in a similar style?

>t.Korean Kino expert
What about
-Failan
-The Show must go on
-A dirty carnival
-Friend

The Wailing was a bit goofy for my tastes desu. Couldn't tell whether it was trying to be a comedy or a horror most of the time.

It's not that similar in style but I loved the wailing and loved Cure (1997) so maybe try that

I love me some Johnny To, but that's a Chinese movie with a Japanese lead actor, my dude.

Otherwise "Vengeance" would be a french film.

>its a meta poster

Yeah the first part was like that, but after that it got great.

I still don't quite understand why they had to make even the fucking devil Japanese though

I Saw the Devil is lit

Maybe it was because I came from watching Seoul Station with its typical Yeon Sang-ho ending, but I liked it having a happy ending, even if it was cliched or irreal.

The devil at the end was pretty scary desu and the start was funny to build up the daughter a little and show how shit the police was

really got me thinking throughout the movie whether the shaman, stranger and lady were good and bad and constantly changing my mind throughout the movie.

I think you need to have some background understanding of the culture/religion to fully appreciate it maybe.

Am I wrong though? For how much people seem to talk up modern Korean cinema it seems like there's actually only a few diamonds in the rough.

Just saw this one today. One of the most depressing movies I ever saw. A bit flawed but still good. Director is the also the lead role and he is pretty good.

Good
Not seen
Good
Great

Have you seen Children...? Is it worth a watch?

I didn't mind the ending being happy, at all.
I just felt that as far as the suspense and the cleverness was concerned it kinda fell flat.

You expect a movie about grifts and cons and double crosses to have one cool final reveal of some kind at least. And it just didn't.

that's because the film industry in korea has effectively only existed for like 20 years, dummy

THIS WAS BETTER THAN THE DEPARTED I DONT GIVE A FUCK

Possibly better than Infernal affairs and it has the Shaman actor from The Wailing who is comfy af

wtf, that was the director?

Whose seen Hana bi?
KINO
I
N
O

I love how the protag completely BTFO the killer every time they meet, so satisfying

I suppose we should just stop making these threads?

Once the majority of Sup Forums has watched the entry level movies only then can we go deeper

That's Japanese m8

did you miss the last 20 minutes of the movie by any chance

Nope haven't seen a lot of these "new" looking movies I usually judge it on the cover and the actors/director involved which isn't a good way to judge t b h

>Once the majority of Sup Forums has watched the entry level movies only then can we go deeper
Never going to happen. Too many tourists and cross posters who don't actually give enough of a shit about film.

I know but op asks for nip films here

this is japanese but i have watched sonatine, what is it like compared to that?

Does China make any good movies whatsoever? I feel like due to population alone they must've come up with at least some kino. Or are they literally just billions of retards who only like Transformers flicks?

you mean where he rigs a mechanism to decapitate Kyung-chul in front of his family and make them ultimately responsible for it?

I would say that's pretty BTFO

If you like sonatine you'll like hana bi

Farewell my concubine might be one of the best films ever made

Hong Kong stuff like Wong Kar Wai + martial arts stuff like Crouching Tiger and Hero.

Yeah, I was shocked. His debut full feature film. His acting was pretty great desu

If you consider Hong kong chinese then check out Wong kar-wai (Director)

Also House of flying daggers, Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Shaolin Soccer, Fearless, Once upon a time in china, Jet Li and Jackie Chan movies??

yes, which happens right after literally everyone that the hero ever cared about is murdered

but yeah, completely BTFO

Red Cliff.

Everybody raves on about Bong Joon-ho's later movies, and rightfully so, but his first film, Barking Dogs Never Bite, is an incredible piece of comedy.
Also, I never see anybody bringing up stuff like Attack the Gas Station or On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate and they are some noteworthy piece of cinema.

China is becoming one of the greatest exporters of arthouse worldwide - just in the last few years, we've had 'Til Madness Do Us Part by Wang Bing and Behemoth by Zhao Liang, not to mention Kaili Blues, a first movie masterpiece by Gan Bi.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ETRMWX9op4&t=6s

youtube.com/watch?v=woBNjIK_15k

Yeah I was talking more about mainland Chinese, HK is obviously legit. I'm a huge MMA fan which has completely ruined martial arts films for me; even if they look cool it's hard to get over the fact that none of the techniques they use are actually effective.

Forgot about Shaolin Soccer/Stephen Chow in general. Fun movies

Looks good; thanks

Barking Dogs Never Bite was a snorefest

agree
is one of my favorites, the final scene is really good, where they just partner up to beat up a gang

True, he paid for his revenge with the lives of those around him, and in the end he became the very thing he hated. It goes to show that revenge is a selfish undertaking.

How

yes what I meant was that it isn't just a "protagonist BTFOs the bad guy all the time" film, and the ending made it really uncertain who BTFOed whom in the end

Stop what you're doing and watch this film right now

complete fuccboi chick flick

One fine spring day is really comfy

Kino expert here, these are all of the korean movies i have watched, and their ratings out of 10:
>the handmaiden, 8
>*The Man from Nowhere, 7
>*oldboy, 7
>*madeo, 6
>*the chaser, 6
>*a bittersweet life, 6
>*the wailing, 6
>*Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, 6
>*joint security area, 6
>*train to busan, 5
>*i saw the devil, 5
>*memories of murder, 5
>my sassy girl, 4
>*the host, 4
>okja, 3
>snowpiercer, 2

I've placed asterisks beside each movie which have a bad end, where the protagonist, or one of the protagonists, dies or experiences undue hardship (not being able to catch the bad guy, save the one they love, or find out a harsh reality). just to show that these films mostly end the same and follow a formula, which is one reason why i don't rate them too highly.

>That ending
Saw this movie like 2 years ago and i remember it made me depressed as fuck.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIBAAAAAAAAALNOMAAAAAAAAAA

>I don't rate movies highly unless they have a happy ending
kys

>tfw recently started watching korean kinos and reading manhwa
Never thought gooks would be such a goldmine.

>Any movies you recommend?
The Handmaiden

Absolutely shambolic

I watched this the other day and it was such a letdown. I usually eat up anything korean because I think they have a great way of making movies but this was just completely overrated for all the praise it gets.

It felt more like a B-movie "horror" that was more comedy than horror. Very disappointed.

>the ending made it really uncertain who BTFOed whom in the end
I'd agree with that, especially since the protagonist seems completely fucked up by everything that has happened. No way he went on to live a happy life after that. I guess in terms of physical pain, almost all of it was inflicted on Kyung-chul and very little on Kim. In terms of psychological warfare, though, the victory probably goes to Kyung-cul.

I believe bong himself refuses to talk about the movie nowadays and considers it a bad beginner mistake or something

This is truly art. It was spiritual as fuck.

what about it was spiritual?

>read reviews
>everyone just mentions how "simple" it is, without explaining why that's a good thing

amazing poster desu

No one has mentioned it but age of shadows was spy kino. From the guy who made bittersweet life and I saw the devil and that tgtbatu homage. He's not as good as bong or park, clearly more pleb genre style over substance kind of films but with patrician sensibilities, an obvious fan of Melville and Leone not unlike Johnnie to. It saddens me that in order to see good European pop cinema nowadays one has to watch Asian films.

Is anyone else slightly put off by their "special
" way of acting?
Like how many discussions are one side talking and the other never replying

This was fucking great. I only have ONE complaint about this movie.

When he shot the woman in the barrel, I was thinking that it was his pregnant wife, but then later on you see that it wasn't. I felt such a huge impact from him having to kill his own wife and child that when I found out it WASN'T his wife, I was kinda disappointed. Other than that it was amazing

Chaser was great. Probably one of my favorite Korean Kino's. Kinda underrated as well. Sympathy was also fantastic, maybe better than Oldboy.

Chaser by the same director is great. It's a pretty straight thriller as opposed to being a horror (sort of) but it's very much in the same style.

There are two sympathy movies lad, both great though. I don't really think I could pick a favorite from the trilogy.

a lot of cultures in the east, particularly south korea (who were under japanese rule for over 30 years) and china, are still miffed about that whole japanese imperialism thing. making him japanese it was a way of playing into those resentments, and also people in general are more suspicious and fearful of foreigners

Meant to say Sympathy for Mr Vengance. Liked it's style a bit more but Oldboy has a way better ost so I go back and forth between the two.

It's kinda simple. It talks about buddhist philosophies, but it's shown in a way that everyone can relate to the core message of the film.
I almost cried in the final scene.

>A Tale of Two Sisters
>Chungking Express
>Cure
>Fallen Angels
>Infernal Affairs
>Memories of Murder
>Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
>Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
>The Chaser
>The Man from Nowhere
>2046
>A Hard Day
>Armour of God
>Joint Security Area
>Mother
>Rumble in the Bronx
>Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War
>The Good, The Bad, The Weird
>The Handmaiden
>The Wailing
>Wheels on Meals
>Coin Locker Girl
>Sonatine
>Tokyo Drifter
>Adrift in Tokyo
>Project A
>Police Story
>The Young Master
>Stray Dogs
>What Time Is It There?
>A City of Sadness
>Millennium Mambo
>The Puppetmaster
>Hard Boiled
>Fireworks
>The Yellow Sea
>A Better Tomorrow
>City on Fire
>The Killer
>The Host
>City of Life and Death
>Eureka
>The Human Condition I: No Greater Love
>Tokyo Story
>Harakiri
>Ran
>A Brighter Summer Day
>Castaway on the Moon
>As Tears Go By
>My Heart Is That Eternal Rose
>Full Contact
>Time and Tide
>Long Arm of the Law
>Friend
>The Show Must Go On
>A Dirty Carnival
>Failan
>Nameless Gangster
>Inside Men
>The Unjust
>Peppermint Candy
>My Sassy Girl
>Breathless
>Save the Green Planet!
>Attack the Gas Station!

>Sympathy for Mr Vengance
pure kino.

Lady Vengeance felt like it was trying too hard at times, although it was also very good.

Li Geum Ja my korean moviefu. Top choice

>I felt such a huge impact from him having to kill his own wife and child that when I found out it WASN'T his wife, I was kinda disappointed. Other than that it was amazing
Hang on what??? when was this revealed I always thought she was his wife

Boomerang family, a dark comedey slice of life about a family who are just a bunch of assholes to eachother but love one another deep down.