/tfg/ - Transformers General

So how about that MTMTE and Not-RID finales as well as The Titans Returns beginning?

Previous thread has the comics.

Honestly the Tarn reveal doesn't bother me much now as it did when i first found out.

>Overlord gets bored and goes home
>Rather than growing a pair and telling the DJD to fuck off, Deathsaurus goes home because he an attack of guilty conscience due to the power of a Magic Button.
>Tarn is a literally who
>DJD go down like punks in a single panel each
>a bunch of people no one cares about show up to bloat out the cast even more
>lel. lets tease the planet randomly blowing up near the end

Well that was fucking bullshit and anticlimactic. The sad thing is that there are people who will defend this shit and harp on about how much of an 'awesome writer' Roberts is.

>Tarn is a literal who.

Honestly that's the least worst of that, I think it actually drives to home Tarn is ultimately a nobody and a wannabe.

the rest i can agree with.

someone should edit this scene as Tarn and Glitch

I get the reasons why it is done. It's a twist, in that there is nothing special hiiding behind the face of evil, and that even a complete nobody has the capacity to commit acts of devestating atrocity.

But that doesn't mean it's resonates with the audience. It doesn't pull at your heartstrings, as the reveal of Roller.

It may be that Roberts changed the Tarn reveal because much of it, the friend who fails himself and falls to become a monster, and the question of whether they could ultimately be redeemed, is the arc he was forced to put into Megatron instead. But wouldn't it be more insteresting to have Megatron be the reluctant mentor of an even more reluctantant Tarn, trying to keep him on a path that Megs himself hasn't even figured out yet?

So, I understand why, I just don;t agree with it.

Apparently according to Alex Milne, this was always the plan for Glitch to be Tarn.

I don't mind the Tarn reveal very much now. I might just be too impressed by the callbacks with Whirl's arm, the time machine Ravage stole, and Megatron's antimatter, but I enjoyed the issue. The DJD going out like bitches was dumb, and Overlord getting over all his hangups with Megatron just like that was worse, but Tarn doesn't bother me.

Then that's pretty damn dumb, as the clues saying otherwise were all there.
Red herring makes sense only if it obscures something even bigger, which is not the case here.

Overall, MTMTE was a big disappointment. RiD was surprisingly good. The other one I couldn't quite absorb because getting through Ramondelli's artwork is still a bother.

It's a shame i have to wait till December till we get back on track with this plotline since all of Roberts stories are connected with the events and other characters.

I hope he can find his groove again, the premise for Season 3 honestly sounds more interesting than most of this season.

>DJD are all brutally executed by Megatron as they beg for mercy
>Galvatron is brutally executed by Optimus as he begs for mercy
But what does it mean, TFG?

that they weren't made out of sterner stuff.

Michael Bay was right.

Slag you, Roberts...slag you right to the Pit...

MTMTE was disappointing, not just this issue, but the whole story. People just kept suddenly appearing: oh look, here's Overlord, hey, Ratchet and Drift decided to drop by, here's Dominus, and Roller too, now there's that guy Megatron used to know. Overlord didn't even have any role in this, besides trolling Tarn, and then he just left. This might have been a lot better, if they'd cut half of this crap out of the story.

The most touching moment was the page where the sad old man lost his cat.

I don't really care about ExRiD any more. Soundwave, Thundercracker and their pets are not enough to keep me interested, and now that Prime seems to be channeling Bay!Optimus, I think I'm going to stop even skimming this.

>now that Prime seems to be channeling Bay!Optimus
He gave much more justification for what he did than Bay's Prime ever did.

I agree Overlord didn't really have a purpose outside of trolling Tarn.

they should have had his return for next season.

I think if they do adapt MTMTE as a show or movie, they definitely need to streamline it down.

They won't. The comic-movies will always be based on the Hasbro toylines like COMBINER WARS and Titans.

I agree with that, but he still turned Galvatron's head into a lawn ornament.

Unfortunately.

I do wonder how you'd cast it though?

I always imagined Whirl as a slightly less gruff Bender.

frankly I wonder how much the toy team is kicking themselves that the shelf warmer RID is struggling for sales inspite of having a TV show while their generations merc is selling well with no show tied to it

Maybe if the damn show wasn't on at 6:30 in the morning...

>MTMTE was shit
What a surprise.

>believing Milne
Gotta stay loyal to the man giving you work.

It's had its chances with Netflix, Hulu and Dvd
It's just not that good

Cybertronians are warriors that fight to the death.

It seems that the toy guys are more interested in the collector's lines while just going through the motions with RiD.

True.

Some neat toys, though. SOME.

>mfw after reading all of these crappy TF comics on a single day
It's like the issue 50 shitstorm all over again.

Roberts is a decent writer who had good ideas. But Barber is nearly as bad at editing as he is at writing. exRID has been a mess since 25 or something, with long buildups to events that burn out in 3 issues and tons of other pacing issues. Seems his style of writing carried over to Roberts because The Dying of Light had decent build up but 55 was shit.

Still, exRiD and Titans Return were even bigger shits. I was disappointed by the #50 issue hype but both series really hit a low for me. Honestly don't care about Revolution so I guess it's time to sleep on these comics until 2017.

>Overlord didn't even have any role in this, besides trolling Tarn, and then he just left.
much like the other comebacks, he's just there for fans to jerk off to. Which sadly is becoming more and more of a Roberts speciality.

I honestly don't think any format of animated show would work well for MTMTE. Its vocal fans will not allow any deviation from the source material which would make it far too long and costly. Meanwhile, casual Transformers fans seem to generally dislike the tone of MTMTE, especially recently, so I don't think there's a real audience for it either.

Its like Superior Spider-Man all over again... Great ideas going down the shitter rapidly. Do writers not how to endings ?

looks like he was there all along.

>Superior Spider-Man
>great ideas

The whole thing is just a mess
Tarn work kill his team to get an army to kill Megatron but he will decaptiate and kill a teammate over not catching/killing intruders, even though he was giving them a full day cycle before trying to kill them.
Nickel is introduced to simply run away with someone else
Getaway apparently work with the council that hates them and thought they keep their word?
Overlord is brought back just to leave? What's his handlers going to do?

The bait and switch with Tarn was extra weak as well.
I get it Roberts you want everyone to keep guessing but this is not the way to go about it

Why would Tarn even agree to work with Overlord?
why would Deathurs put up with taking orders from Tarn after bring overlord in and killing his teammate?

It like Roberts lost focus somewhere between the issues

Which is strange considering the budget it must have to make that show
Honestly I think they were hopping they could get Star Wars name power and sell worse toys for premium price because kids wanted to own the guys from their favorite show

>Why would Tarn even agree to work with Overlord?

Religious zealotry makes people retarded.

>why would Deathurs put up with taking orders from Tarn after bring overlord in and killing his teammate?

He shouldn't have, that was retarded.

He really didn't need all three of them.

Overlord really should have been cut as a whole.

Keep Overlord's return a bigger thing next season instead of it getting lost in the middle of all this.

Hasbro is pretty much retarded and still operates on the "we have a cartoon = toy sales" without understating that it's not enough. The show has to be at a time when kids can actually watch it and it need to be out multiple times every day for them to give a shit about it. Saturday morning at 6am is guaranteed that no kids will ever know that it exists.

Plus kids in general don't give a fuck about 20 minutes episodes anyway. They need to adapt to the new 10 minute shorts format if they want to get shit done.

So is the comic out yet?

start here mac.

You had me until 10 minute format. 20 minute is better for story telling especially in something like Transformers that tries to tell a larger story. 11 minute format is better for comedy shows i.e WeBareBears or Chowder.

Dude Transformers storytelling in cartoons is shit. Look at TFP. First 10 minutes was all set up and Miko being retarded, last 10 mins was all overlong fightscenes where everyone kill a million Vehicons.

Every episode of TFP could've been done in 10 mins and be much much better. Just pour money into animation and make short and sweet action scenes and you're good, nobody watched transformers cartoons for the story.

I'm just going to come right out and say it. I hope that Tarn actually wasn't Glitch.

No, I'm no Glitch fan nor a Tarn fan. In fact I hope Glitch WAS Tarn, but two or three Tarn's ago. That's right, I want Tarn's last moments to be Megatron essentially forgetting which Tarn he even was and taking that to his grave.

>Plus kids in general don't give a fuck about 20 minutes episodes anyway. They need to adapt to the new 10 minute shorts format if they want to get shit done.

If anything they should do that Grandy Clone Wars shit where he did 5 min segments on single Jedi Masters wrecking shit. Just do short 5 min action scene commercials of "this is a character, he does this and wrecks shit, buy the toy" and they'd be good.

So, Galvatron's head is a red herring, or the precursor for him as a headmaster?
with humans making their own transformers, I am suspecting a revival of the human based headmasters and perhaps someone using Galvatron's image.

Factualy wrong though. Last business report had Hasbro saying that sales were doing better than the usual not-movie-year thanks to, specifically the Robots in Disguise toyline. No mentions of Combiner Wars/Titans.

The reason you see more toys of them is because retailers in general buy more of the kids line than of the collectors one.

Sorry, it probably stings to know the thing you don't like is doing well, but they're ordering more for a reason.

Him and Astrotrain, yes.

The bad taste of children is not a bad thing, it means more money for the actualy good toys. Doesn't change the fact RID and Prime were both shit since kids like anything regardless of quality.

Why does Windblade look like she's wearing a tie? And why do I find that notion so adorable?

>Why would Tarn even agree to work with Overlord?

Because he had a bigger fish to fry (Megatron) and likely figured that he could finish off Overlord after Megatron had been dealt with.

>why would Deathurs put up with taking orders from Tarn after bring overlord in and killing his teammate?

This is part of the reason why both Deathsaurus and Nickle left. Deathsaurus' big thing is his care about his soldiers. When Tarn originally recruited him and his men, he thought Tarn was similar and that Megatron was as apathetic as ever. Throughout "Dying in the Light" Deathsaurus began having second thoughts. Tarn was callous with Deathsaurus' soldiers lives and even executed one of his own team while Megatron seemed to care more for his new crew than about his own life. The weaponized "Distress" Signal was the final push.

Actually perfer RID and rather it do better
Do you have a link however because I need more then your passive aggressive angst as a source

That would have been interesting.

I was hoping that Tarn might have been everyone. A real Scooby-Doo Twist.

Are we talking about RID the cartoon or RID the old comic name?

I have the sneaking suspicion "passive aggressive" is the new Sup Forums buzzword like declaring each other autistic, doomed to be abused to shit until it has no meaning left. Another attempt to achieve cruise control towards winning every argument.

lmao that filename.

girls wearing suits and ties are hot though.

I think it's a theme. Forget geisha bot (not that she ever was), she's not schoolgirl bot.

Cartoon
I like its actually for kids and aimed as such
I was getting tired of the shows that felt like love letters to old fans because it seems to much

As for the passive aggressive comment it applied because it was rather eye rolling to assume the poster was saying it was bad because they didn't like it. There's a whole slew of reasons why the poster would think it wasn't doing great to jump on such a defense makes it seem like the poster had a bone to pick about that issue that was never stated.

Sakamoto taught them well.

Been waiting for a moment like this...

I think it would have been hilarious if underneath Tarn's mask, it would have had part of Glitch's empurata face (namely, a mouth, but also a cyclops eye).

seems about right. Also not sure why that "cat" version of Blackarachnia reminds me of Freddy Kreuger's sweater.

it would have been nice.

we know he has a mouth based off of #39.

Poor Soundwave...I miss Ravage too, big guy...

I'd prefer it if it wasn't just glitch, but they too two impurata'd dudes, one for each eye, and someone's mouth. Glitch has his power to cause machines to fritz, the other impurata'd dude has some kind of projection ability so Glitch's power now has range beyond touch, and the mouth was one a cybertronian virtuoso so he can put his power to music.

Crazy Theory Time:

What if Roller "was" Tarn but due to the necrobot pulling missing cybertronians out of time resulted in history correcting a missing tarn, a "glitch" in history if you will.

Thoughts?

>anticlimatic as fuck ending

Where was my fight? Where was my struggle? Does the hack writing this shit not know how to properly conclude anything?

This was the comic book version of erectile dysfunction.

Do we know the guy Megatron killed is the first Tarn? Maybe it was Roller at some point.

I honestly believe at one point Roller was Tarn.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a revelation later on.

The comic specifically told you that the Necrobot took people with unknown histories to AVOID causing something like this.

You know, despite your infantile description, I agree with you. If this had been a small confrontation and the DJD survived to fight another day sometime much later in the story, I would be fine with this issues conclusion. Like maybe Megatron seriously injured them, or used his warp chest bridge thing to throw them off somewhere else in the galaxy. But the fact that they're dead means they can never have a second chance at a better ending, and this ending was flat and boring.

you guys JRo said on twitter in the past this is the original and only tarn

It might have been before Thingy started to mess with time to 'save the [s]cheerleader[/s]disappeared'.

So, I'm getting back into the comics and will eventually buy the whole IDW Collection set but right now I'm struggling to find downloads and packs of the before RiD/MTMTE split. I've got sources of updated lists for those, so thats fine.

Anyone know of anything?

Someone posted an old as balls version of the guide last thread, and by the time I posted the up to date version the thread had already hit its bump limit.

It's hardly infantile. It's appropriate.

You expected a fun time, and all you got was disappointment.

You think this is the end of the DJD? Wouldn't surprise me at all if a new group adapts the names and carries on the legacy.

I do, it was Hasbro's earning's call in February

"We’ve talked a lot about what brands do in the years following movies and TRANSFORMERS really bucked that trend for the full year being down about one-third versus typical more closer to 50%. So the television and other entertainment has really helped to support the brand and help drive our brand globally.

As expected TRANSFORMERS revenue declined, given the difficult comparison with the 2014 theatrical release. The decrease was at the low end of the traditional range following a movie and benefited from the success of Transformers Robots in Disguise television programing airing in markets around the world. In 2016, the second season of programing will begin airing including on Cartoon Network in the US."

Broke a trend that had been going on since 2007 to 2008, while CW didn't even get mentioned in the entire report beyond "there's a machinima thing happening later"

>It's hardly infantile. It's appropriate.
Well you are right I thought this issue would have more impact that it does but I ended up just not caring about any of the characters, it doesn't feel like any of it was real.

It's the end of these particular versions of DJD, and if new guys start it up it won't be quite the same as our previous edgelords.

Who knows, maybe they'll be better.

Did it? The Necrobot merely knew the person went missing. He was saving people whose stories had been "lost" by time and so was trying to rewrite them, apparently because he didn't feel it was right to just save the dead and alter events, but people who were MIA were a grey area he didn't mind fucking with their personal story. He apparently saw himself as restoring history rather than altering it.

Frankly what I got from the comic is that if he'd continued on his list he would have picked up Dominus Ambus from the point he'd vanished from the history books, potentially before he was turned into the DJD member who was caught and turned into The Pet. Could Dominus have told him not to fuck with time, that he had a mission? Maybe, maybe not. All we saw was that the Necrobot came through with people who were knocked out and in no capacity able to talk to anyone.

Hell, the very reason that the Necrobot disguised them as organics is because he was potentially stealing DJD victims from time and they might not like that. It's clear they never found out since the people were alive, but they still didn't like him.

I THINK the Necrobot was rescuing people he felt he could, assuming their role in history was done since history never bothered to record anything else about them. If they'd done something significant it would have been recorded, right? History would know them? So he felt he was saving people from a fate worse than just death: obscurity. Nobody even knowing how you snuffed it. Then you could start over in the "present" where you could have a second chance.

But does history even work like that? The history books sure don't. There are no doubt many people whose decisions have changed things. Imagine poor Pipes. He died setting off an alarm, a heroic act, but nobody knows it. He's still probably mocked in death even though people are alive because of his actions.

But we really don't know how the Necrobot is researching this stuff. He might be pretty thorough before interfering.

>the reveal was so awful that anons are still trying to make theories which support the idea that Roller is Tarn.

>Imagine poor Pipes. He died setting off an alarm, a heroic act, but nobody knows it. He's still probably mocked in death even though people are alive because of his actions.
I wasn't ready for how sad that is.

Well it was bad, and I hope Roberts knows it's bad.

>Imagine poor Pipes. He died setting off an alarm, a heroic act, but nobody knows it.
Says who? His body was next to the broken glass of an alarm button. I think they could put two and two together.

>So how about that MTMTE and Not-RID finales as well as The Titans Returns beginning?

MTMTE was the most disappointing shit I've read in awhile.

exRiD was great.

Titans return was pretty interesting but I want to see more of it before deciding whether it's exactly great or not.

Why assume that? Much of the place was smashed, and it was Pipes. You seem to think there was some kind of thorough forensic examination to find out exactly how it happened instead of the far more likely Pipes being scraped up by a giant spatula and dumped in a coffin, and his spatial location of his corpse to a button left undiscovered and uncared about.

The issue had some good reaction shots though.

man fuck absolutely everything about ROM.

There's a bunch of marvel issues that will never see the light of day again because he appears in them.

So is there any actual reason why Sentinel Prime is back, beyond "why the hell not"?

Because it's obvious.
To sell a toy, and apparently he was never dead despite looking hella dead.

It'll probably be revealed in a few issues.

>believing that hack

>my cat is dead
>time to fling his corpse

It seems he woke up after hearing the titans voice. Weak explanation but that's what I'm thinking until we're actually given an explanation.