Writers have roughly six issues to do something before their books get taken hostage again. Can they pull it off?

Writers have roughly six issues to do something before their books get taken hostage again. Can they pull it off?

No. Most writers these days are incapable of hitting the ground running.

They know this is the deal when they sign on to do a book, ideally they are already plotting for only a 6 issue arc

poor X-Men and the filthy Inhumans are going straight from CW2 to 2 separate crossovers before what this is starts up.

Marvel seriously needs to cool it with all these events that CHANGE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE FOREVER. I swear we haven't gone more than six months without some massive all-encompassing event since before the first Civil War.

>Next major event coming in at least six issues after a relaunch.
>Event causes another relaunch because "nothing will ever be the same again."
AHAHAHAHA Fuck this company.

No

I can't believe people go to these things to look at white screens and black text. Do people cheer when these slides are shown?

yes

We're almost at the point that we're getting a relaunch after every issue.

Only Al Ewing.

I know it sucks but it could be mitigated o some extent if writers learned to stop decompressing so much

Disassembled 2 coming soon

Come the fuck on, Marvel. This is getting increasingly retarded the more you do it.

COMING SUMMER 2017

THE NEW NEW AVENGERS

NOW WITH MORE NIGGERS AND DYKES

The real question is, why would any readers pick up a series that they know will be rebooted in six months. At that point it doesn't even matter if it's good or not, it's not worth reading.

And/or they stopped letting Bendis write 6 books for them at once

A House Divided Against Endless Fucking Events cannot stand.

>Next event is literally all about relaunches
>Every issue in the event is a number 1, including all the event issues
>Characters are replaced in the main titles by literally anyone, and without any explanation
>A team is formed out of characters "protected" by the relaunches, and these are Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Wiccan, Hulkling, Cable, She-Hulk, and Black Bolt
>They somehow stop the relaunches, which Marvel won't do for years, but the last issue reveals that Black Panther was replaced by a white guy.

Because Marvel and comic news have people convinced this is something DC does, even though Marvel is the one doing it.

It's honestly just fascinating to me. I'm not trying to actually company wars here. It's just amazing that Marvel does not get attacked for doing this shit.

Unfortunately, this is part of why Marvel, on the comics side, is doing marginally better - in a business sense - than DC. They're writing comics solely to generate internet clickbait.

>"You won't believe who is taking up the mantle of Captain America!"
>"Deadpool tried to lift Thor's hammer! The results will shock you!"
>"Mutants are getting shelved! Guess who are the new freaks in town!" (this last one is, unfortunately, real)

From a marketing standpoint, it's fucking brilliant. From a creative standpoint, it's like abusing a puppy while your inner child watches; duct taped to a chair. When you consider that the only time Marvel books are good, in quality, is the brief moments there isn't a fucking event; this basically becomes Marvel poisoning their own well, so they can sell water from a nearby well THAT THEY ALSO FUCKING OWN.

Most of these "journalists" have Marvel's dick in their mouths. For a bunch of people who are suppose to know shit they don't have a working memory of anything past six years ago never mind decade long trends.

So Marvel Comics is now the comic equivalent of junk emails forwarded to you by Grandma?

They publish more comics than DC in general

Do you have that article where a journalist realized they were shitting on DCYou for lacking diversity when Marvel was cancelling their only two female books?

It's funny because it's true

No but I wished I did.

It wasn't during DCYou though.

Marvel had cancelled Ghost Rider (The female version) and X-23 and the author had realized they were Marvel's only female books and that DC was publishing a pretty decent sized chunk, including two female-only team up books.

I want to say it was a Newsarama article? Someone else probably has it.

>having bursts of extreme profitability in between long stretches of decline
>good business sense

A good writer can thematically wrap almost any story around the subject-matter they wish to portray.
Moby Dick was about a shipwreck.

Those "stretches" aren't really that long, though. Not to mention, any decline would be made up for by new readers that came in on those events.

Nope.
Not a fucking snowballs chance in hell.
Marvel is full of shit writer and incompetent editors.

It's not smart from a business sense.

They weaken the overall stability of the industry. They've been weakening it since the 90s. Marvel looks for the short term profit, where as DC tends to look at the overall health of the industry when publishing.

DC is doing what the industry needs right now, but Marvel is doing exactly the same shit they've been pulling for years and it's not working no matter what "I have the REAL best selling comic in the industry!" Bendis likes to claim.

New readers don't come in on those events, readership just converges into one book.

Events actually scare new readers away while they're being published.

They do draw new readers in while they're being published as trades though.

>where as DC tends to look at the overall health of the industry when publishing.

lmao

It seems to be working for Marvel and that was the point.

I disagree.

>DC tends to look at the overall health of the industry when publishing.
>DC is doing what the industry needs right now

holy shit the fanboy delusion is strong with this one.

did you literally start reading DC at Rebirth or what?

But they do.

Non-stop relaunches once a year leads to really drastic drops for Marvel and a short burst in sales. We've already heard reports of new readers getting confused by Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Squirrel Girl having new number 1s so close to their start. Granted Marvel isn't doing a full relaunch right now but they're still restarting titles that don't really need it. Like Captain Marvel for example.

The New 52 generally was a consistent and steady decline in sales, with Batman and Justice League remaining high throughout. Things went down, but there were very few huge drops. Marvel's recent sales drops for Black Panther and Iron Man from their first issues were far worse than DC's were for Batman or even Superman from the new 52.

They've also adjusted to meet where the market is heading. Twice monthly will allow for faster trades, and two Batman issues a month means twice as much revenue for the failing market, and faster releases for the rising trade market.

JIm Shooter once famously said that every issue is some one's first issue.

Marvel took that too literally, it seems.

I swear there isn't a single character of note who's had a decent arc to themselves in years because of these constant fucking events.

Kamala

Only Ewing will pull it off.

Incorporating events is pretty much his specialty.

You say that, but the Avengers books with all the niggers and dykes are the best ones.

Moon Knight's been left alone since the Ellis relaunch.
Loki had a continuing story that went on for years through multiple books. Not sure if his appearances since ANAD have kept at it.

FUCK THIS COMPANY!!

And don't forget Vision.

He's got a great mini right now.

To be fair he did say "Right now" and they are. I've dropped all my Marvel books since DC went to $2.99. If DC can afford to be cheaper so can Marvel

>We've already heard reports of new readers
I'm not a new reader an sometimes I get confused.

>2008: Wolverine - Old Man Logan
>2015: Old Man Logan
>2016: Old Man Logan

>yes
haha, Fuck fans of comic books

The days of #100s, even #50s are long over. Books nowadays are lucky to get beyond #20 before they're relaunched.

>Moon Knight just skirting the edges of the shit that is Marvel
Hopefully he'll make it through unscathed when Bendis finally dies

Yeah. For Marvel. DC just had about 20+ books that got to #52.

Action and Detective comics are in their 900's

>issue 1 always sells the most out of any issue in a series
>instead of identifying the cause of this being poor quality leading to horrible reader retention, marvel sets out on a 5 year plan to make every issue of every series issue #1
marketing genuis

Just fucking double ship and make a big deal about the big numbers like 50 and 100. It's better than hemorrhaging readers

That's only true if you're talking about Marvel.

This whole "seasonal" thing isn't going to work. The constant relaunches and "overarching stories" (read: events) are only going to confuse readers and make them want to drop books.

>a house divided against itself cannot stand...
What, more fucking Civil War? Can't we go one fucking even with out heroes beating each other up? I didn't keep up entirely with Standoff and Pleasant Hill, but I think that had them mostly fighting villains by the end? Some scuffling before hand as Bucky and Cap ran around, I think.

The seasonal thing is a fucking lie they told their shit eating fans. If they were ever serious about it there would have been something on the covers indicating it was season # whatever and the fact that they aren't renumbering their big sellers this time is just confirms that it was always a lie

Whats going on here do they have 6 months free from events.
If so im sure they can fit an arc or 3 in
Or just do single issue storys im annoyed that these constant events have not encouraged writers to cut down a little on decompression

Wow, Marvel Editorial is really assblasted that Marvel studios told them to fuck off.

It's a dieing industry and you do what you can to survive, meanwhile some good books squeak out of the general muck of mediocre to bad books. Which is, quite frankly, how its been for decades now.

The one in 2015 was called Secret Wars: Old Man Logan.