Is Dreamworks Animation more hit or miss?

Is Dreamworks Animation more hit or miss?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469137777645.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=3WKN0XF8-3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If a character rides a mount, the movie is more likely to be good.

> Hit?
> Hit
> Hit
> Hit
> Hit
> Hit?
> Hit?
> Hit
> Miss
> Hit?
> Hit
> Hit?
> Hit
> Miss
> ???
> Hit
> Hit?
> Boner
> Hit
> Miss
> Hit
> Hit
> Miss
> Miss?
> Husbando
> Hit
> Miss
> Miss
> Hit
> Miss (though the show was good)
> Miss
> Hit

So more hit than miss, though a lot of that is personal opinion.

In terms of quality and originality they miss more than hit.
In terms of sales they hit more than miss

From Antz to Kung Fu Panda 3 in left to right order:

>Good
>Amazing
>Alright
>Amazing
>Good
>Bad
>Alright
>Amazing
>Awful
>Good
>Amazing
>Alright
>Underrated good
>Awful
>Really good ironically, Alright unironically
>Alright
>Awful
>Really good
>Amazing
>Absolutely God Awful/It CAN NOT GET WORSE THAN THIS
>Amazing
>Amazing
>Mediocre
>Absolutely God awful
>Underrated good
>Good
>Bad
>Comfy
>Amazing
>Mediocre
>Absolutely God Awful
>Good

why are almost all dreamworks movies crap?

>tfw no Rise of The Guardians sequel
just pull the trigger

I didn't actually realise how good dream works were till I saw this picture...

I loved Turbo, I think I'm the only one though.

they're all good you wizard

I usually avoid watching DW movies but end up loving them when I finally got around it
Still never watched Kung Fu Panda

Just my opinion, feel free to attack or make your own.

But I personally feel they are a 'miss' more and more these days.

Despite the hate some people give them they actually do make more good movies then not.

The problem is when they miss it's a REALLY bad miss.

Like, how the fuck did the people that make Prince of Egypt and Kung Fu Panda make fucking Shark Tale?

Id say they had a strong start that dropped really fast but came up again, save for an overreliance on sequels.

And they still did great with Httyd2 and KFP2/3

You can notice obvious shit, but the rest is fucking stupid and tasteless.

usually

but prince of egypt, el dorado, and HTTYD were all excellent

PoE is probably one of my favorite animated movies

I don't know half of these movies, but megamind was actually pretty meta and funny as hell

SHARK TALE BABYYYYYYYYYY

>Kfp 2
>worse than Kfp 1

Other than that, it's all alright. Just kfp2 was obviously way better than the first and third.

>Prince of Egypt
>Meh
What's wrong with you?

you know
the guy from how to train your dragon is super fuckable now that i think about it

Kfp 1 and 2 are good and God tier. 3rd one is the worst, but it is still good in terms of DreamWorks movie.

Is it wrong to say that EVERYTHING after Flushed Away was utter garbage?

You shouldn't count the Aardman stuff since all Dreamworks did was distribute it.

Well, Dreamworks is going to count it as theirs
That may be related to why they didn't get along very well.

No. Literally shit taste if that's the case.

My top 3 would probably be Sinbad.... uhh, Shrek and Madagascar? All their other movies are forgettable as fuck. Prince of Egypt was alright but I don't really like preachy movies. Megamind was alright. Chicken Run, Flushed Away and Wallace & Grommit get points for the art style but weren't spectacular. The rest I haven't seen for whatever reason, or are just obvious dreck.

>Madagascar
>better than KFP2 or HTTYD
What a shit taste.

Personally most are miss more than hit. Shrek 1&2, HTTYD series, Kung fu Panda 1&2, Rise of the Guardians, and Puss in Boots are my favorites. Prince of Egypt, Sinbad, and El Dorado are up there too.

It's a weird concept.
Like someone told them "did you know a car's turbocharger is called a snail because it looks like a snail shell?" and they went "That should be a movie!"

I haven't seen How to Train Your Dragon, or Kung Fu Panda 1 or 2. Why should I?

Because those are good movies.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469137777645.webm

The dragons are one of my faves animated movies of all time.
Monster vs aliens was good, El dorado too.
Kung Fu panda 1 had a good concept, shit execution.
Same for Jack Frost.
Not sure about the shreks, I loved them when I was younger, should watch them again.
Croods is on my list.
Rest is literally what or complete and utter shit.
I don't know, Dreamworks has a really hard time making good movies..
I mean, you can't even compare them to Pixxar.
Dreamworks movies always felt so.. american? I don't know.

>Madagascar better thank kfp2

Opinion immediately discarded

>Why should I?

i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, i'm just having a really hard time believing
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>kung fu panda
is a good movie

>Prince of Egypt
>Shrek 2
>Megamind
>meh

Shit taste you got there.

>being this new

KFP has always been good to God tier. The only except being the third one, which even still wasnt that bad. Basically:

2>1>3

It's one of those movies where you see the trailer and immediately think it's shit. When in reality, it's actually pretty good. Give it a watch, highly recommend it.

No you see, it's funny because he's fat.

They're pretty good, but HTTYD is a god-tier film.

Green: Good
Yellow: Meh
Red: Bad
No color: Haven't seen

What is this fuckin pueblo architecture? I thought this movie took place in CGI China

They somehow managed to make 3 movies about jack black being an obese panda learning kung-fu good.
Like, really, really good, especially the second one, one of the best villains in all of fiction.

>Road to El Dorado
>Chicken Run
>Shrek
>How to Train your Dragon

All I care for.

This.

Second villain of kfp is the best villain DreamWorks has ever had. Very few villains come close.

Pretty much. Shen's one of my favorite villains from DreamWorks and just in general when it comes to any villain. Reminded me of Frieza a little bit from DBZ

I should probably have more levels.
Antz: 8/10
Prince of Egypt: 9/10
El Dorado: 8/10
Chicken Run: 7/10
Shrek: 8/10
Spirit: 5/10
Sinbad: 4/10
Shrek 2: 9/10
Shark Tale: 1/10
Madagascar: 7/10
Curse of the Were-Rabbit: 7/10
Over the Hedge: 7/10
Flushed Away: 8/10
Shrek 3: 3/10
Bee Movie: 5/10
Kung Fu Panda: 9/10
Madagascar 2: 5/10
Monsters vs Aliens: 7/10
HTTYD: 10/10
Shrek 4: 4/10
Megamind: 7/10
Kung Fu Panda 2: 10/10
Puss in Boots: 8/10
Madagascar 3: 7/10
Rise of the Guardians: 8/10
The Croods: 7/10
Peabody & Sherman: 5/10
HTTYD2: 8/10
Penguins: 8/10

Pretty spot on user.

>flushed away and penguins that high

I remember Flushed Away being my favorite of the Aardman movies, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Penguins didn't aspire to be more than a good action-comedy, and it had good action and good comedy, so I rated it highly.

Well, it's supposed to be a little podunk village, they wouldn't have the guts to try lavish cities until the second one.

Only things on that list I can get through without wanting to kill myself is How to Train Your Dragon and its sequel...

>hating on price of egypt or el dorado

Alright fine

Only CGI things on that list I can get through without wanting to kill myself is How to Train Your Dragon and its sequel...

Better?

everything after megamind was shit

The best movie on the list is right after that, so no.

>Antz
Good
>Prince of Egypt
God Tier
>El Dorado
Good
>Chicken Run
Good
>Shrek
Good
>Spirit
didn't see
>Sinbad
didn't see
>Shrek 2
Good
>Shark Tale
Shit Tier
>Madagascar
Good
>Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Good
>Over the Hedge
Comfy
>Flushed Away
Underrated Good Tier
>Shrek the Third
Meh
>Bee Movie
didn't see
>Kung Fu Panda
Good
>Madagascar 2
Meh
>Monsters vs Aliens
Meh
>How To Train Your Dragon
God Tier
>Shrek Forever After
didn't see
>Megamind
didn't see (but want to)
>Kung Fu Panda 2
God Tier
>Puss in Boots
didn't see
>Madagascar 3
didn't see (heard it was the best Madagascar movie though?)
>Rise of the Guardians
Underrated God Tier
>The Croods
Good
>Turbo
didn't see
>Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Comfy
>How to Train Your Dragon 2
Good
>Penguins of Madagascar
Meh (but John Malkovich octopus made me laugh)
>Home
Shit Tier
>Kung Fu Panda 3
Good

>>Prince of Egypt
>God Tier

>The Road to El Dorado
>Shrek 2
>Kung Fu Panda 2
>Only "Meh"

Shit taste

Honest question - do Aardman movies count? Is it a collaboratiom between both or does Aardman do most of the labor?

They were Aardman-produced and Dreamworks-distributed, but they're officially part of the canon.

Shit taste m8

Most surprising thing about this list is that I barely see any "DreamWorks Faces"

Did anyone else notice? Or is it just me?

>Spirit

Okay, so the moral's kinda predictable "don't be racist" crap, although it's more the 90s style than the modern "you should feel guilty all the time."

And the soundtrack fucking sucks.

And Matt Damon's voiceover is completely unnecessary as he does nothing but tell us what we're already seeing.

But it's still a gorgeous movie.

>Bee Movie
>Not Bad

>Bee Movie
>Shrek 4 (Fiona)
>Madagascar 2
>HTTYD
>Megamind
>Kung Fu Panda 2
>Puss in Boots
>The Croods
That's still a lot, including 5 in a row. I'm surprised none of the penguins have it, tho.

I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember really liking the world designs and the animation, and there were a few funny jokes. Still not a good movie, but not irredeemable like Shark Tale. I elaborated on my ratings more in the reply.

Its amazing how we got King Fu Panda after fucking Bee Movie.

>tfw when my 11 old brother and my stepmothrr actually think that Home is a good movie
It literally ends in a dance sequence.That movie was predictable in every scene and the "villain" was pure garbage

hey if you really like the first 2 kung fu pandas I really think you should check out the third, it's pretty good. I think the second one is better but the third one is still great.

So I take it you aren't excited for the cartoon premiering tomorrow?

>Road to El Dorado ranking lower than Amazing

If they did another Shrek movie, how could they make it relevant?

>KFP 1 and 2
>HTTYD 1 and 2
>Megamind
Yes, it is very very wrong to say that.

Shrek is still good.

Shrek 2 is still amazing.

Shrek 3 and 4 are terrible.

>Hit
Prince of Egypt
El Dorado
Shrek
Madagascar 1 and 2
All Kung -fu pandas
Megamind
How to ttrain your Dragon 1 and 2

>Miss
Shrek sequels
Sharktale
over the hedge
Bee movie
Peabody and Sherman
Home
Croods

Haven't watched the others

>kfp2 right after it

You were so close too.

It is the Jewiest movie I have ever seen.

It was more so a minor plot point that despite not having a muscular body like the furious five, Po could beat Tai Lung because of his heft, since it made it harder for him to locate Po's nerve points to immobilize him.

Flushed Away is a pretty good movie.

Miss

I honestly like the Madagascar trilogy. Especially the third one, that one was pure insanity in movie form.

Well, they manage to make some good production from time to time, so there is that.

>People took the time to write all this text

Only took a few minutes.
Learn to type faggot.

The best part is that you can't even read the first two lists because it would require you to keep looking back and forth between the two pictures and the text while making sure not to lose your place on both of them

that's a pretty simple task faggot

Have you considered not being retarded?

Prince of Egypt genuinely surpasses the "durr, kid movie" formula Dreamworks, Pixar and Disney alike aspire to and genuinely becomes a fucking movie, it's seriously one of my favourite movies ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=3WKN0XF8-3Q

I’ll still never understand their need to make a shitty, low budget cartoon of almost every single movie they’ve made over the last few years. I mean, have any of these been in the least bit memorable?

Ignore everyone else, Kung-fu Panda is mediocre. The first one was just the usual "Student learns secret technique and becomes the ultimate Kung-Fu badass" thing that Drunken Master and countless other movies have done better, with an element of the usual "Loser learns to fit in" thrown in. There are seven other kung-fu masters--Shifu, Oogway, and the Furious Five--trying to defeat the villain, and none of them amounts to shit at the end of the day. A more accurate title would've been "Kung-Fu Movie-By-Numbers".

KFP 2 is even worse, being basically a rehash of the first movie with Po mastering another secret technique (Inner Peace) to defeat another vaguely tragic villain. Here though, the "tragic villain" schtick is even stupider since Shen is a remorseless, genocidal psychopath who even murders his own henchmen. Shen's master plan ("I'll invade all of China with seven ships!") is retarded, the new side characters are just as useless as the old ones, and the whole movie is basically just a long Wile E. Coyote episode where the protagonists repeatedly try and fail to stop Shen over and over until Po wins.

I haven't seen the third, but by all accounts it's worse than the first two. Everything Sup Forums loves is mediocre at best.

>God tier
Prince of Egypt
Chicken Run

>Good tier
El Dorado
Shrek 1,2
Sinbad
Were-Rabbit
Kung Fu Panda 1,2
HttYD 1,2
Mega Mind

>Meh tier (but with great animation)
Spirit
Rise of the Guardians

>Meh tier
Antz
Over the Hedge
Monsters vs Aliens
Flushed Away
Puss in Boots
Madagascar 1,2,3
The Croods
Turbo
Mr. Peabody and Sherman
Kung Fu Panda 3

>Shit tier
Shark Tale
Bee Movie
Shrek 3,4
Penguins
Home

>chicken run
>godtier

I like MvA. Croods was okay, but yeah forgettable. Puss 'n' Boots is pretty decent, although nothing special if you're above it's age bracket. First season of TURBO FAST was actually pretty hilarious, surprisingly so for coming from such a terrible dull boring movie. Kungfu Panda was alright. Don't care for Peabody or Dragons.

Well, Netflix is paying them to make whatever they want, so why not have a cartoon for every movie post Croods?
It's probably worth exploring Croods and Home in particular as they actually made money.