Other urls found in this thread:

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/08/hb-i-like.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Responsible for everything bad in the world

Elitist, expensive and overrated.

this early really isn't going to get replys
also generic as fuck

It's 6pm where I live.

I get the feeling that most of the people that bitch about calarts here applied and got rejected and are forever salty about it.

I still think it's a great school, but too expensive to ever be worth it

Calarts is expensive though, considering it's just an art school. It costs around the same as going to medical school or even Harvard, I don't really know how you can justify that price.

There are better animation programs out there than Calarts for a fraction of the cost.

I looked at their application once and apparently they don't allow scans. You have to send them your physical artwork and you're not getting it back.

It's a school. I think.

Remember when Calarts meant your artwork was probably Disney-tier? What happened?

Then gives us the tip, you scrooge

Isn't that like a standard practice for art schools?

That retarded. Unless they mean for drawing tests they give you, no artist in their right mind is would turn in a portfolio with originals.

2d animation became outdated and so standards lowered

>he actually believes any network is gonna fund a cartoon with 40's level animation

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't quit your job, mate.

Go to Canada. Even as an international student getting overcharged, you'll likely be paying less in tuition than your average American college.

It isn't, not since the 90s.

Absolutely this

Korea happened.

Netflix will do such a thing, easy with $4 million a episode.

If you're ok with not getting a diploma, I cannot recommend Concept Design Academy in Pasadena enough. Pretty much Calarts tier in the amount you'll learn and connections you'll meet. And so much cheaper

But that's true for education in general, hell most basic services are cheaper in canuckland

Might as well just move to Canada

>everybody thinks calarts causes shit style
>implying it is not artists who mooch off of successful ones because they are insecure about ther artstyles

No, they just lack talent is all.

It allright.

i hear that it's mandatory in order to get a decent job in the field

If you become successful after going to Calarts you were going to be successful regardless and you just wasted $200k.

It's not.

but they want you to believe/think so

but in real life, you don't need CalArts.

Very good.

plus most if not all companies see that as having an advantage, i.e. regular show

What about SCAD?

Kinda stale, isn't it.

won't get you as much merit as Cal, despite being slightly cheaper

The same as any other expensive artschool: cronyism poorly disguised as talent

then why the fuck do people go there thats insane

face memes aside its just not as good as it used to be

cuck cuck cuck cuck cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck *raises spork*

Reminder.

I seriously don't care.

I enjoy the state of cartoons now because they're creative and at least they require some sort of talent. I remember a few years ago during the dark age, this is what we wanted.

The only thing I hate is how they shortened the run time to 15 minutes.

Upvoted greenthumb reblogged +like

cause it has the greatest recognition and merit above them all

I'm sure that Blue Jacket Lupin III is not enough to salvage the industry.

It's not, but all you can ask for is creativity and inspiration. Am I the only one who remember a time where each network was filled with shitty canadian cartoons and teenage reality shows? Like, that was god awful right?

We should be glad they got back to basics some of the cartoons on now are seriously entertaining.

More like high school upskirt panty shot fest and 22+ minute ads.

In short we need another Mighty Mouse The New Adventures, then we can out their ranks a little.

>
>Don't need a portfolio to get in
>Huge drug problem on campus

honestly i like the calarts face
shame i cant say the same about the school itself

It's shit, mang

Would love to go. But it's super expensive.

Fuck them.

I've seen so many graduates come out jobless who were super talented and even top of their class.

Alright, Pitch your character using this Beanface.

I have a friend who goes there. It seems really over expensive. Also there's a surprising amount of Asian kids.

Too expensive but probably something to try to get into if art is literally your life.

I know two people who go there. One is a pretty outstanding actor and a great person despite being a hardcore lib and the other is a rich, rude shitstain who needs to tell everyone that she goes to CalArts if you meet her.

its greatest crime is its popularity. you cant blame them for the copycats.

Honestly, it benefits its graduates more than most art schools by focusing on networking, conforming to trends, etc.

What's your opinion on Sheridan?

> le ebbin bean face maymay xd xd xd I was born in the wrong generation fucking chads stealing my middle school girlfriend

Kill yourselves, you are everything wrong with Sup Forums.

p ok, and canada itself seems to get more and more outsourced animation work.

>Hanna Shitbera used as a positive example multiple times

Has it REALLY gotten that bad?

Billy The Big Butt Cartoonist? I don't know, you decide. Tried to draw his "trademark" fanny pack for his rump.

better then calarts. also, john k went there.

hey, buddy. when was the last time you unironically saw someone using "xd". bonus points if it was on Sup Forums or reddit.

First of all, Gumball and Steven's creators did not go to CalArts

I would love to go there, but it seems rather expensive for a scholarship

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/08/hb-i-like.html

He's A Big Boy.

>HB
>shit
>anime face
Just learn to draw, faggot. Oh yeah, and quit anime.

Finally, someone get sit

*gets it

you can delete posts you know

>hanna barbera bait.

Are you from the Midwest? Every uni in California has a high Asian population, no surprises.

ren and stimpy took a lot of influence from hanna barbera.
also, who are you quoting?

and all anime looks the same, what's even your point?

Not him, but I wish I lived in California instead of the midwest
At least you have the good minorities instead of thousands of spics and niggers.

You can delete your own life you know

BEAN?

is this the most unbiased "Then, Now" chart on Sup Forums?

I live in Santa Clarita, and every time I get cut off it's by someone with a Calarts sticker. They're the fucking worst.

I go to their music programs sometimes and more than half of them are shit. Every classroom also reeks of weed.

Envy and hate because I'll never get in.

Like what said, the no portfolio needed to get accepted is more of an issue then ever. It creates a false sense of bravado that you think you're as good as all of the other talented people, when in reality you're far from it. Them when the foundation classes come in and you realize everyone in your class have been drawing their whole life, while you don't have that same experience. I've seen people leave their dorms in the 5th-6th week of the 10 week quarters. It's depressing.

It's a mixed bag. Other people I know have worked on Roosterteeth's Camp Camp, recently got picked up for Nickelodeon, Adultswim, etc., while others haven't gotten picked up or are still waiting for a response back from the company their applying too. It can range from nice people who have been at the grindstone for a while that get picked up, or the no talented ones that get tricked by B+s into thinking their good or egotistical maniacs who think their the shit that don't get picked up.

And this is coming from someone who's doing a 5th year at SCAD. It was my dream college in highschool, until after I realized that I was way more unprepared then I thought.

I misread big drug problem as big dropout problem, my bad.

Wish I could find those said drugs.

Unfavorable.

For 50 years it's been an institution for artists to prioritize imitating the designs of their figureheads more than learning from their methods.

Post-modernists and Sylvain Chomet wannabes.

The whole 'CALARTS RUINED ANIMATION FOREVER' deal is definitely exaggerated, but It's definitely in a slump, along with a lot of similar art unis.

From what I've experienced and heard, there's not enough people at a lot of those institutions who actually know their shit about traditional art and its techniques, which means few or none of the students are being taught said techniques which further fucks shit up, and most people who attend these places who have such knowledge typically learn it from outside sources. More and more portfolios are consisting of naked selfies and piles of clutter presented as neocolonial-demifeminist political messages or whatever. And teachers can't do much about this but praise them for it because if they don't then the students might realise they're not learning shit for the $40k tuition they're putting in.

First post or something?

All the leav- ALL THE LEAVES ARE BROWN!!!

and the sky i- AND THE SKY IS GRAAAAAY!!!

I've- I BEEN FOR A WAAAALK!!!

On a winters day... ON A WINTER'S DAY!

CALIFORNIA DREAMING!!!

Something I am told at my college is that university is made by it's students. CalArts seems to have forgotten that fact; they got some students a while ago that made it big in the industry and the school board shoved their heads too far up their own asses.

This is actually the chart biased towards modern cartoons

>implying

Connections are fucking important, and the school gives you tons of them.

but shit like Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff girls also had shit art back then, and even before that, late 80's cartoons where plagued with animation errors and limited animation.

Compared to Anime, Cartoons have had shit character design for the past 3 decades!

WERE*

You already know the answer if you know their name. /thread