Does Steven Universe have good lore and worldbuilding?

Does Steven Universe have good lore and worldbuilding?

No
Hell no

No

Yup.

Is it better than ponu?

Could be better.

It's ok

It had some really interesting ideas, especially with the Gem alien species origins and world building, but unfortunately it was executed horribly.

It's interesting and has a very, very slow reveal that tells you in bits and pieces, if it outright tells you at all.
Some ideas are interesting but not expanded upon, due to lack of knowledge or interest by the creator.

Is also hated on Sup Forums because it's got tons of posters.

Nah

Like always, Sup Forums blew its load too early at vague symbolism and the writers were saavy enough to incorperate like an eighth of fan speculation into the show(see Gravity Falls for the end game of this approach)

Steven Universe isn't really a "lore" show, it's a slice of 600 pound life that occasionally has monsters to be dealt with

Yes, but Sucrose is a giant cock tease.

All the world-building is used to serve characterization and storytelling.

So it's the only good type of world-building.

So yes.

Basic story:
>oh noes bad guys
>gems fight this bad guy
>"don't kill said bad guy" -steven
>Bad guy turns nice
>Guess we're friends now no bad feelings
here and there steven finds another hero power
sometimes there is a "moral of the day episode"
and then there's just filler.

Above average.

Shallow hack analysis by someone who probably watches too much anime or reads too many cape comics.

user we're talking about a colorful children's cartoon here, it's not high brow media. He's spot on.

That's not good nor is that worldbuilding

World building, yes

Lore is garbage

no

When is not doing pointless personal drama shit, yes sometimes. But 4 or 5 of the last set of episodes were pointless drama shit, really turning me off from the show desu

>Worldbuilding
>Good

We know little to nothing about the actual world nor does it make sense that humans know nothing about gems.

>lore
>worldbuilding

They've jumped a billion portals. We know a lot about the gems and what they've done. I don't even follow this show cept on marathon weekends when I leave the TV on

it used to but it shit the bed with monster reunion

Why don't people like this episode?

Except we know nothing about the human world

Not really.

i think im the only one
i just dont like the idea of the diamonds being responsible for corupted gems i wanted it to be an outside force

No

no, there was a big giant eyeball thing in the first episode and its never been mentioned again, as a show it's ok for what it is, but it's obvious the story is being made up on the fly and full of holes and asspulls

Nor do we know anything about Homeworld. Seriously, the world building in this show sucks ass, but it's somewhat redeemed because it's pretty fun to speculate about it.

Nobody knows why the gems are on earth or why home world wanted earth to begin with. We are totally in the dark

It was mentioned once that it was sent by Homeworld to check for gems. I don't know how it didn't realize the gems were there when they threw Amethyst at it multiple times.

it's almost like they made it up on the fly

No bully
-Rebecca Sugar

Come to think of it, if the only thing that can destroy it is a gem weapon, shouldn't Homeworld have realized there were gems there when it didn't report back?

it has lore and worldbuilding, but I wouldn't call the execution "good"

good enough to keep me interested

It seems their technology advanced significantly; Gem weapons did nothing vs Peri's ship. Maybe the red eye was just old and they thought it malfunctioned

Second episode, and it was.
It probably had to return with the data.
>or why home world wanted earth to begin with.
Kindergartens, hub world, expansion of empire.

>Kindergartens, hub world, expansion of empire.
So are there aliens that gems fight? Do they have intergalactic rivals?

Why didn't an army of any sort show up when a giant hand came and literally flipped Earth the bird? Why was the evacuation of Beach City handled by a twelve year old boy?

>Why didn't an army of any sort show up when a giant hand came and literally flipped Earth the bird?

because
>authorities - bad
>lesbians with issues - good

So are there aliens that gems fight? Do they have intergalactic rivals?
We don't know.

>Why didn't an army of any sort show up when a giant hand came and literally flipped Earth the bird?
We don't even know if anybody HAS an army. Earth's history is different.

>Why was the evacuation of Beach City handled by a twelve year old boy?
Because MAY-OR DEW-EY is incompetent and the show is about Steven. Also he was 13 at the time.

>and the show is about Steven

>MC can do anything the plot wants him to do
>everyone else just stands there and watches

Low standards

Well the red eye was pretty durable on its own. I don't think it was made for offensive reasons.

I'm probably just not educated enough but if SU has such bad world building then wtf is a good example of world building in a cartoon?

speaking of world building, during what episode does gravity falls gets interesting? because i'm at ep 7 and i'm constantly pausing and browsing Sup Forums because it's just kind of meh, this didn't happen with SU

Samurai Jack.

Why does Sup Forums dislike lore and worldbuilding so much?

>look at all that interesting stuff!
>you wanna know more about it?
>well tough shit, here is a townie episode!
>and have some animu references while we are at it

Pearl is so sexy

Symbiotic Titan

Bad* lore

Nope, it's shit and gay.

>All the world-building is used to serve characterization and storytelling.

Are you mentally retarded?

>We don't even know if anybody HAS an army. Earth's history is different.
But that's insane. How do they have cell phones and computers?

They keep talking about this grand alternate history Earth has, well, it'd be fucking nice if they let us in on it.

>So it's the only good type of world-building

>Seriously believing there's only one good type of any concept

I'm disappointed that probably over half of all the terrible opinions on this entire site could be categorized by that

Can they make one episode without someone crying?

No just whorebuilding.

They tried to gem nuke the planet to deal with the gem resistance, the corrupted gems have gem mutated from gem radiation. They were ordered to retreat to not get caught in the gem fallout.

It has better lore and worldbuilding than Gravity Falls (it always did, by the way), but we're on the end of a townie bomb so Sup Forums is going to pretend that it's shit.

Reverse engineered Gem tech? A drive to improve technology outside of war?

Most of the SU fanbase haven't watched too many shows/films so they would say yes

Everyone else with remote experience with cinéma would say no.

>It has better lore and worldbuilding than Gravity Falls (it always did, by the way)

I'm genuinely curious how you came to reach this conclusion. I can't imagine either being better compared to Gravity Falls, both on paper and in practice.

>it's the only good type of world-building
So you're saying Middle Earth is bad world-building?

Keep watching ;^)

>A drive to improve technology outside of war?
That's just crazy talk.

Earth is aware of extraterrestrial life. Surely that'd fuel space tech advancement, which would trickle down to regular tech like how it does in real life.

I'm not him, but it depends on the book. I loved The Hobbit; The Lord of the Rings was way too much world building for the sake of it at the expense of the story, which I disliked; The Silmarillion was straight world building, but every bit of it contributed to me enjoying the story, unlike Lord of the Rings where it just made the narrative dry.

Steven Universe is kind of sloppy with its world building. It neither does it particularly well or poorly on the whole.

Spectacular Spider-Man

Most of the humans in SU somewhat indifferent to everything the Gems do, which I find pretty hard to believe.
You'd expect for the temple to be a tourist attraction.

Inconsistent, I'd say.

>just watched Monster Reunion
>entire show to this point has been about gems getting fucked up due to shattering
>"Well, no, the monsters weren't shattered, just corrupted by the diamonds- a totally DIFFERENT thing that we never mentioned until now."

It was alright before every fucking episode was about lesbians having personal problems.

Lapis is just a largely uninteresting character, because she's all moody all the time.

Although, hopefully, with that episode in the bag, maybe she'll be less moody. Unless she, like Pearl, needs five more episodes to actually maybe get over it.

it's like we learn small things about the crystal gems

but we know absolutely nothing about human or other gem society functions

it's less world building and lore and more a bunch of framing devices.

>SU
>Better than GF

Found the /sug/shitter

Gems die when they are shattered, not turn into monsters.

I'll wait until Steven is over to make that judgement. I really felt that Gravity Falls shit its pants in the end. It just couldn't follow up on it's foundation.

I really enjoyed the episode where they introduced Ford, but after that there wasn't really any magic left in the series, it just kind of peterted out and then ended poorly.

>All the weird stuff... came from the weird dimension!
Yeah that's some A+ world building.

yeah but you have to get through 70 episodes of crap to even get to anything interesting

So are you going to explain how Steven Universe apparently always had better worldbuilding and lore or are you just gonna cop out as if the ending isn't just an ending?

Gravity falls can't stay on one theme and just got cluttered. It started off being about cryptozoology and aliens kinda stuff but then introduced haunted waifus and crazy time travel. Not to mention the horrible ending, the whole stan losing his memory but regaining it 5 minutes later was stupid and worthless. It was a good show but it was cluttered as fuck.

>These people that aren't human... came from a non human world!

If you're going to make any type of reply at least give yourself the benefit of not making it embarrassingly just as applicable.

You can build something up all you want, but it doesn't matter if you never do anything with it. Gravity falls built and roller coaster that we never got to ride because it failed to loop back ground safely and instead just dumped it's car into a field at 55mph.

The world building in Steven isn't as well put together, but I'll call it better if Steven actually does something with it in the end. Gravity Falls was a huge let down in the end.

I agree the show was fairly cluttered but your suppositions are extremely off the mark. It was always about general oddities lying around Gravity Falls, not specifically just aliens and crypts. Crazy time travel was about seven or eight episodes right into season one, don't delude yourself as if it didn't fit right in as the molding was fresh.

All of the crazy crap in Gravity falls was tied together by 'crazy crap comes from this bucket of crazy crap'. It was a huge failure to deliver on the anticipation of, 'I wonder how all of this can possibly go together.'

Steven's Universe, pun unintended, all fits together cohesively. There this and that and whatnot and wee slowly get to see how it all works. With Gravity Falls there was all of this seemingly unrelated crazy shit going on, and the audience was teased that there was something that tied it all together. Having, it all fell out of crazy world together was a poor explanation and as soon as Bill became a physical on screen antagonist the show lost a LOT.

That's true I guess. I just wish there was a show that stayed and focused on only one or two types of paranormal activity. Not Sasquatch one episode and then the next killer robots.(not that gravity falls does that but you get the idea) Anyone know of a show that does that?

>being about cryptozoology and aliens kinda stuff but then introduced haunted waifus and crazy time travel.

You mean all the stuff that was there from the very beginning like video game characters coming to life?

Secret Satudays

Except we actually learn where the gems come from dipshit, it's not just a device for the writers to invent any monster they want like in GF

I'm saying this as a fan of both shows, but goddamn GF got lazy with it's mysterys near the end

Gravity Falls' ending was disappointing but that doesn't immediately equate to its world structure and lore being bad. Furthermore, not coming together brilliantly at the finale also doesn't equate to not being used period. The show always scattered clues among other things in the background, and while only a select few of those were truly great, the remainder didn't exactly hurt to have either. They didn't run right back to the plot, but they did serve as one of the nicest things to have about lore, in that they're interesting side details that color in the setting as reward for appeasing the more curious part of the human brain.
I won't go as far as to say either were amazing, or even great, but they did their jobs on a decent average. A bad ending is just a bad ending, not the accounting for how good anything else was.

I honestly couldn't figure what lore Steven Universe has even really had until now. The worldbuilding is also extremely schizophrenic and is lacking in any really satiable amounts of details. Ever since about midway through season 1 we haven't exactly earned much killer, important details about either without even so much as worthwhile teasing. Forget comparing it to Gravity Falls, it just currently isn't good period.

If by some chance you're right and the two do come together cohesively somehow, I'll rescind my statement. I see where you're coming from, it's just that taking that show's storytelling elements as any sign of quality has never been something I quite understood. Very hard to see how it's "always" been better that way is what I was initially saying.

Gravity falls was good at building a mystery but absolutely garbage at writing once things were out in the open.

It would if it wasn't hampered by mediocre storytelling, lesbian "subtext" and Steven getting more and more perfect by the episode.

I think you missed the point.

>outside of war

There is no propelant of tech as strong as war. The human mind itself was created from conflict

Nope.

Steven Universe just uses the "idea" of lore. It rarely does anything substantial with it. It also shows its budget for it negatively.

Just watch cause it's entertaining with its cast.

2k3 TMNT.

>imfuckingplying

They had one flashback episode with cool animation. Everything that show did was done twenty times before way better.

Yeah, this. It seems like if they were knowingly aware of these alien creatures that had previously tried to fuck their shit, that they'd have done SOMETHING in terms of a retaliation force instead of sitting around all day picking their noses.

it stops being interesting if you immediately explain everything about it